Dead Reign World Over View

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Dead Reign World Over View

Unread post by wildhood »

People in the US are more likely to survive because we have more people with guns than other countries with strick gun laws. Like Japan were its hard to get a gun so they got alot less suvivors.
Last edited by wildhood on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Re: Dead Reign World Over View

Unread post by ronekiln »

I think a lot of 3rd world countries might do better after the initial break down passed. Many of their people still know and use skills for functioning in a world with little industrial resources. Yes, the industrial world props them up and losing that support would be catastrophic to them, but after that initial hit they'd adapt better.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Yeah, because the only chance of survival is if youve got a gun.

At least till the bullets run out.

Wouldnt it come down to more how fat fit you are, for running I mean?
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Just because you have firearms does not mean you have a better chance to survive. As you know (and has been stated many times before, you would eventually run out of bullets). In fact, a high concentration of firearms may prove detrimental to would be survivors(Being shot by other survivors and such).
Last edited by Oberoth on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dethsor
D-Bee

Unread post by Dethsor »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:In my original world overview, based on the original source of the outbreak, Tasmania and Ireland were the most stable free areas left on Earth.

Good to see that Australia will be looked after. What about New Zealand (it has way more mountains)?

If the basis is that the Cancer vaccine is the casue of the wave, how would it be funded ? Who would be paying for it ? In the US would it be only people with Health Insurance ?

I think in Australia (where I live) that it would be given only to people (initially) who had a genetic predisposition to having Cancer, they are a bit strict with new drugs.

Anyhow, much thanks for a great game...

A.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Access to guns never makes a country a safer place - not even when the Zombies come. Guns are dangerous to everyone ("Wait, whats that, something moved behind that bush, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! Oh. It was Sam. Poor Sam") and eventually you run out of bullets ("Haha, take this, rotten ******, I'll blow your brains out before you get to mine. Oh, darn, out of ammo..NOOOOOO"). Island and less developed countries seem to be safer, I agree.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:I really wish I had gotten my Alternate Weapons section into the book, or the Rifter.

"Civilization Gone" could be an option for that to see print, eh?
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Vidynn wrote:Access to guns never makes a country a safer place - not even when the Zombies come. Guns are dangerous to everyone ("Wait, whats that, something moved behind that bush, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! Oh. It was Sam. Poor Sam") and eventually you run out of bullets ("Haha, take this, rotten ******, I'll blow your brains out before you get to mine. Oh, darn, out of ammo..NOOOOOO"). Island and less developed countries seem to be safer, I agree.

On this point I beg to differ. I don't believe that access to firearms make this country anymore dangerous. criminals will have access to firearms no mater what. Even in countries with the strictist guns laws, gun crime still happens.
What make a country more dangerous is a lack of an effective criminal justice system. We produce criminals in this country like Doritos make chips. "incarcerate all you want, we'll make more" I don't pretend to understand the all the social factors that create criminals. But I do know that police and court in this country are not set up to protect me and my family. That responsibility falls on my shoulders. That is why I own and carry firearms. I also go that extra mile to maintain my proficiency. I am not trying to emulate the cowboys or live out some merc fantasy. I do so to protect my family and friends. I won't / can't rely on the government to protect me.

And your analogy of gun owners/ hunters shooting at random noise in kind of offensive. If every person that hunted just went buck wild and shot at every noise he/she heard, we would have allot more human deaths during hunting season. You know that their is such a thing as responsible gun owners, right! I am not trying to say that their aren't stupid and careless gun owners, but it isn't as common as the media and certain organizations would like you to believe.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

Trooper Jim wrote:
Vidynn wrote:Access to guns never makes a country a safer place - not even when the Zombies come. Guns are dangerous to everyone ("Wait, whats that, something moved behind that bush, FIRE, FIRE, FIRE! Oh. It was Sam. Poor Sam") and eventually you run out of bullets ("Haha, take this, rotten ******, I'll blow your brains out before you get to mine. Oh, darn, out of ammo..NOOOOOO"). Island and less developed countries seem to be safer, I agree.

On this point I beg to differ. I don't believe that access to firearms make this country anymore dangerous. criminals will have access to firearms no mater what. Even in countries with the strictist guns laws, gun crime still happens.
What make a country more dangerous is a lack of an effective criminal justice system. We produce criminals in this country like Doritos make chips. "incarcerate all you want, we'll make more" I don't pretend to understand the all the social factors that create criminals. But I do know that police and court in this country are not set up to protect me and my family. That responsibility falls on my shoulders. That is why I own and carry firearms. I also go that extra mile to maintain my proficiency. I am not trying to emulate the cowboys or live out some merc fantasy. I do so to protect my family and friends. I won't / can't rely on the government to protect me.

And your analogy of gun owners/ hunters shooting at random noise in kind of offensive. If every person that hunted just went buck wild and shot at every noise he/she heard, we would have allot more human deaths during hunting season. You know that their is such a thing as responsible gun owners, right! I am not trying to say that their aren't stupid and careless gun owners, but it isn't as common as the media and certain organizations would like you to believe.

Amen
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Trooper Jim wrote:On this point I beg to differ. I don't believe that access to firearms make this country anymore dangerous. criminals will have access to firearms no mater what. Even in countries with the strictist guns laws, gun crime still happens.

As more and more crimes resulting in deaths are relationship-related and happening among friends, family and at work, Id say, the less guns around and in private hands, the less opportunity for someone to just "loose it" and kill ones wife, husband, or collegue (and killing is a lot easier with a gun in hand; guess it is similiar with suicides?).

Also, when there simply is no gun in the house, no accident can happen (and those tragedies - someone forgetting to lock the weapon up, having ammo around so the kids can "play" with it etc. - happen on a regular basis).

So, gun crimes by criminals happen everywhere, agreed. I trust my government to fight them as best as they can. For me, laws on private gun use cant be strict enough. I dunno, maybe you "produce criminals in this country like Doritos make chips" because a society armed to its teeth creates a vicious circle? Sorry, Im european, so I have a different point of view.

Trooper Jim wrote:And your analogy of gun owners/ hunters shooting at random noise in kind of offensive. If every person that hunted just went buck wild and shot at every noise he/she heard, we would have allot more human deaths during hunting season.

uhm, I wasnt talking about hunting at all, the "quote" was from an imagined "in-setting"-scene where people with guns just fire away cause they think there is a zombie in the bush! so, as no one of us has been in this situation for real, I cant see the offence.

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:Nah this falls into the camp of stuff I cut because I had to keep the page count at a certain level.

well, than you can still submit it!

Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Man you Euro types have weird ideas on America and guns/violance... Quit taking our action movies at face value, They're fiction dude :lol:
Most people here do NOT in fact own guns, and the mass majority of Legal gun owners here are incredibly well trained... And NO, our police here are Not to be trusted, as the more Liberal minded people (no, I'm not a Republican!) tend to be so trusting in them and government so as to put to much power in both their hands, and not enough oversight on them! Even in places like Washinton State a good 70% of our cops are GuN toting Mad Men that don't give a Sht about us...

And gun deaths in the home are next to Nil... More peeps die "in home" from other accidents caused by Other insturments (Knives, table saws, broken glass...WOOD CHIPPERS :P ) than guns... I happens soooo little that it ACTUALLY MAKES IT ON THE NEWS!!! Most bad stuff that happens often, doesn't make it onto the news for that reason (it happens too much), so Gun accidents happening in a country with a Large land mass will add up even though it happens infrequently.

You Euros and you creative gun fearing imaginations :lol:
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Steeler49er wrote:You Euros and you creative gun fearing imaginations :lol:

...dont need my imagination, am just comparing the US murder and accident rates involving guns and ours... ;)

but that's a political debate (that I didnt intend to start, my posting was about Dead Reign anyway) and maybe we should cut it here?

Steeler49er
Hero

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Well said and Agreed!!
And No as to Japan... They have too many people in far too high of a density to survive better than the US! And OUR mountainious regions are far larger than theirs (the size of their freaking country fer pitty sake!!!

And NO, outside of shot guns, guns are NOT what you should use as the prior posters are correct, they run outta ammo...

To further the gun issue, they're also very LOUD!
Plus, not everyone ( as I said) knows how to properly use one because, as I said "A majority of people here do not Bloody Well own one"!!!
They'd just end up shooting off their toes :lol:
And their aim is equal to "Barn Door accurate!"

Counties like the US, Canada, Russia and The Middle East would fair the best because they have soooo much space, And Or combat experiance (not as likely to suffer from shell shock of violance), And Or Cold weather, And or Diversity of people, And Or odd & rough terrain, And Or sufficant technical development to suppport war and the rebuild of their civilizations...
And this IS a war, which puts 3 of the above in a great possition, and the Third "Canada" would do well because they are just plain too tough to go down Period!

China would lose alotta people Fast, they'da gone Zombie with the wave! And given that a majority do not believe in the SuperNat in the first place (the uber Atheists that they are) that they'd go nutz just trying to explain it away...
Then, when all seems lost, their Immortals would show up, and Pos+Chi strike every Zombies into extinction in seconds Flat...

EU... Based upon countless past and resent comments all over the bloody World Wide Web and here, the general concensus by everyone from other nations is that the EU is far to reliant on their government and (Which is great for how they run stuff there, but lousy fer a "Zombie Apockolyps"-Que in creepy music) due to land terrain, population dencity, small size...etc.= Dead in a week flat!
Think 28 days/weeks for a visual.
Better than India by far though as may pocket survivors would exist fer months and May even escape to better locals in time or form small enclaves.
Some EU nations will fair much better off than others, and some may be in All the world to be the "First" to rebuild a semi-balence of True civilization... Remember, Europes been building up (and tearring down-with the US being their present target based on the way they talk/drone on and on these days-LOL, I kid I kid... Kinda☺) some of the Greatest nations the worlds ever known for 1000's of years!!!
Still, numbers would be horribly small-hand fulls, and the blood bath would be absolutely gruesome.

Africa: no more Aids meds+too much Zombie Food+too much flat terrain+too much lack of Zombie education+ Far too little communication=4months till 80% are gone! the other 20% are just too tough to get caught... And Africas just too d@mb big!

Aussy Land: Everyones favorite Country in the world! Tough as heck, Ex-convict penal colony, HUGE land mass, should do great and we all love yah, buuuut... Too much flat land, some of the flattest and the majority of the populace live in rural zones and citys and are too reliant on industry for food... 10% survival rating (and only then for the most tough).

India: Likely the worst off of everone! Too many people in too dence an area. And as apposed to the people of the EU's over reliance on their Gov for everything, the people of India will not be able to rely on Their government for Anything at all.
Too poor to have good enough communications to alert them as to what is going on=1Billion Zombie Nation in a few weeks=Zombie attrition!
3Weeks till Zero Pop...

South America should fair well, heavy mountains, spread out pop, Heavy Forrests, Lotta Animals that'll Tear Zombies to shreadz-Good to Excellant Survivability. 70-80% population survival-But civilization would not com back fer 100's of years (If at all).
Major citys would be wiped in days, but the coastal city folk have boats and use em allot... Instant sea going civilization.

Still China Chi masters fer the Win...

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Vidynn wrote:but that's a political debate (that I didnt intend to start, my posting was about Dead Reign anyway) and maybe we should cut it here?

Probably should, I just noticed that you have Austria listed as your location. My Great Grandmother on my mom's side was Austrian. I have allot of respect for the Austrian people.

But back to the original topic. I don't think anyone that expects the authorities to save them, is going to live. I think if a character expects to survive he/she is going to have to have a strong independent will and the ability to survive. And have the necessary tools to survive. not just a few guns and some ammo. You are going to need food, water and a safe shelter. If you have the will and th skill, it won't matter where you are, You are better off then the sheeple that don't. After all what would we all do if the infrastructure collapsed. The majority of Americans would be screwed. No TV, Internet, stores, po po or Army to help out. I really think America would not do any better then any other country. Just my opinion.
Steeler49er
Hero

Gawk!!
Man Washingtonians like to underestimate America! :lol:
Like I said above (in thre examples) Americas unique' mind set, access to Various weapons (not just guns but, swords, exsplosives, Tamks & military aircrafts & what not), our land mass, heavy mountain reigons, large but spaced out population (sorry Detroit, Chi-town, LA, Seattle & Manhattan-but your @crewed), various militas, access to resources, variety of cultures and people/mind sets (some social, others independant), communications & other tech, All puts us in the same playing feild as Canada, Russia, & a few others.

Perfect for survival in Dead Reign!

Differant Story
Now in a VIRUS Zombie Apockolyps (read Z-virus transmition) YOUR RIGHT, We're all @crewed by much of that, and it would be more of a detriment, meaning that America would be toast, and far of Island local may far better than the above!

Steeler49er
Hero

BTW-Trooper Jim
Maybe all of us Palladium WAzzys should get meet up sometime to say "Hi!"...Eh?

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Trooper Jim wrote:Probably should, I just noticed that you have Austria listed as your location. My Great Grandmother on my mom's side was Austrian. I have allot of respect for the Austrian people.

pleased to meet you, Jim. :ok:

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Steeler49er wrote:Gawk!!
Man Washingtonians like to underestimate America! :lol:
Like I said above (in thre examples) Americas unique' mind set, access to Various weapons (not just guns but, swords, exsplosives, Tamks & military aircrafts & what not), our land mass, heavy mountain reigons, large but spaced out population (sorry Detroit, Chi-town, LA, Seattle & Manhattan-but your @crewed), various militas, access to resources, variety of cultures and people/mind sets (some social, others independant), communications & other tech, All puts us in the same playing feild as Canada, Russia, & a few others.

Perfect for survival in Dead Reign!

I freely admit to not having allot of faith in the average American in a "poop hit the fan" scenario. I think that we have allowed ourselves to become soft and easily distracted. We would rather sit around and watch "the hills" or some 80's has been new attempt to find love, or some other un Reality show, then deal with real life. If you try to engage them in a conversion about anything "Real". They just call you an alarmist and shut you down.
But I am also jaded. I see the worst in people on a damn near daily basis. So I tend to be a little impatient with people that refuse to see beyond their own nose.

Steeler49er wrote:BTW-Trooper Jim
Maybe all of us Palladium WAzzys should get meet up sometime to say "Hi!"...Eh?

That is a good idea. Maybe do some Dead Reign RPG gaming. I am currently looking for a group.

Vidynn wrote: pleased to meet you, Jim. :ok:
Pleased to meet you also. Please excuse my fervor when it comes to gun rights. Most of us are actually pretty good folks. Just like I have meet allot of really awsome folks from all over the world. I love the web, it makes so easy to exchange ideas and dialogue with so many people all over the world.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Ok on a side note

Many people fail to look at the area that have instituted mandatory gun ownership. In those areas rates for violent crime have dropped to almost nothing. Conversely look at the rise in violent crime(including gun crimes) in area like England where they have increased gun laws and decreased ownership.

Back to topic

I do however think that America would do ok if an apocalypse broke out due to the vast varying terrains, great infrastructure (including communication and roadways), and general mindset of most rural areas. Granted many, if not all, areas of large population would be toast. however with the rural populations and mountainous regions I think that there would be a quick move to stabilization.l
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Possibly areas with a tradition of self reliance would would fare better. I admit that I didn't consider that. But I think that any major urban areas would be zombie zones.
another thing to consider is the substantial presence of combat Veterans. People that have recent military level weapons and tactical training. These people would also tip the scale towards survival.
Steeler49er
Hero

Trooper Jim wrote:I freely admit to not having allot of faith in the average American in a "poop hit the fan" scenario. I think that we have allowed ourselves to become soft and easily distracted. We would rather sit around and watch "the hills" or some 80's has been new attempt to find love, or some other un Reality show, then deal with real life. If you try to engage them in a conversion about anything "Real". They just call you an alarmist and shut you down.
But I am also jaded. I see the worst in people on a damn near daily basis. So I tend to be a little impatient with people that refuse to see beyond their own nose.
Heh, I'm right there with yah pal, on all counts!

Smlawrence8 wrote:I do think that America would do ok if an apocalypse broke out due to the vast varying terrains, great infrastructure (including communication and roadways), and general mindset of most rural areas. Granted many, if not all, areas of large population would be toast. however with the rural populations and mountainous regions I think that there would be a quick move to stabilization.l
Thank you! :P
Americas Many features should put it easily on par with Russia & the Middle East as far as survival goes.
Lucky me that Lynnwoods kinda next to the mountains And the Pudget Sound... Or however you spell that... Yeah Pudget sounds right LOL

Trooper Jim wrote:Possibly areas with a tradition of self reliance would would fare better. I admit that I didn't consider that. But I think that any major urban areas would be zombie zones.
Bye Bye Seattle (hee hee ha) take That you hippy Rain worshipers :D .

But on toppic, again, all of the above changes if the Zombies are started Via a Z-Virus (as appossed to Dead Reign PPE zombification!), the Only locations even Remotely safe from that senario Would be far off places like Islands, Or the Middle East (Fer the same reasons as above).

As to the M-East, the adimantly Muslim faithful would have separated the sick early on in Both cases as this is SOP for them to do, and as such they'da been Far better off in the begining. Plus they are often living in War torn (or close enough to) regions so that Gun ownership (and other weapons) are readly available, as is ammo... In those regions almost EVERYONES a police officer!

And given the right-wingedness of the people, and their perpensity for stepping on human-rights (especially the sick and infermed-think leperocy) they'd have been Much safer from the initial losses of Wave/Infection, more so than the more niceE nice liberal countries! As such, they'd have been amoung the First to form up into survival camps and full on Military forces...
And with healthy communications, both old school systems and New school systems both in place, they'd be Much better prepaired than others.

They're Only major downside is their major respect for family and Family ethic/values May cause them to hold back from killing infected family memebers, but lucky fer them is that at least Some of those family members would willingly take their Own lives to prevent harm to their respective family units.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Another thing to consider is that Zed isn't the only threat. Some places are dangerous on their own. Lots preditory animals. Poisonous critters and plants. Along with some terrain or weather issues, could be just as dangerous as Zed. But like some of you posted, hostile terrain can also work in your favor.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

On a world overview note

how do most animals react to the zed? Dogs bark? attack?? what
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Wait, PPE zombification? Ugh, now I'm definitely not getting Dead Reign. If they played the pop culture just a little bit better I'd have gotten it, but I'm really getting tired of the mystical magical explanations for everything that even remotely screams out of the ordinary.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler

My idea for survivors in europe is europians going to the castles in europe to hole out from the zombies. (like they did in the movie Doomsday & play a dress up game of PFRPG)
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

wildhood wrote:My idea for survivors in europe is europians going to the castles in europe to hole out from the zombies. (like they did in the movie Doomsday & play a dress up game of PFRPG)

sounds like it could be fun ..let us know how it turns out

Colt47 wrote:Wait, PPE zombification? Ugh, now I'm definitely not getting Dead Reign. If they played the pop culture just a little bit better I'd have gotten it, but I'm really getting tired of the mystical magical explanations for everything that even remotely screams out of the ordinary.

I dont really understand why the mystical reasoning bothers you so much... Zombies are a bit far fetched the fact that there is a mystical component shouldnt be any stretch at all. Especially since this company is a FANTASY company usually that means that there should be some magic somewhere
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Ohh and another question can the zombies see the PPE spotlight through walls...can they only see it through certian substances?
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

wildhood wrote:My idea for survivors in europe is europians going to the castles in europe to hole out from the zombies.

well, the castles around here are either in ruins or run over by hordes...of tourists. :D

wildhood
Dungeon Crawler

Vidynn wrote:
wildhood wrote:My idea for survivors in europe is europians going to the castles in europe to hole out from the zombies.

well, the castles around here are either in ruins or run over by hordes...of tourists. :D

Refortifi the castles with the help from the tourist. Some cities in europe have walls around them too or was I just thinking of British Islands.
Last edited by wildhood on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Parasites making zombies, viruses making zombies, drugs making zombies, and magic spells making zombies I can deal with. Ambient PPE making zombies... right.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

wildhood wrote:Refortifi the castles with the help from the tourist. Some cities in europe have walls around them too or was I just thinking of British Islands.

well, I dont know a single medieval city-wall that is still around a city (they have been taken down and/or the cities expanded beyond them), but I dont know every city in Europe of course. ;)

Steeler49er
Hero

Colt47 wrote:Parasites making zombies, viruses making zombies, drugs making zombies, and magic spells making zombies I can deal with. Ambient PPE making zombies... right.

Well to be honest, the Virus tricks been played too death and Does Not make a lick of sence to begin with. NO virus could even come close to doing all of the 100,000 thousands of things needed to pull off keeping a person moble like that.... Sure Nanites could, but NOT some random mutation of a virus... Never. Unless someone intentionally wishes to create a Hoard of brain eatting Zombies out of pure Sadism, no virus would ever mutate like that on its own, its just Waaaayyyyy to specific of a result (IE I want the Zombies to Feed off of the living, but leave other zombies alone, never feeding on them. Than I make the Virus reproduce Soooo many more times than is organically possable, just so as to spread the virus completely through a body so as to allow for the zombie to be able to spread the virus to others the moment it rise as one, usually in second if going by "Dawn of The Dead" infection rates. And the virus Also keeps you immortal, mobile, and undying... Just to complicated of a process for a biological cell). Second, no Virus could ever spread/reproduce through a corps, meaning such a creature is not undead at all, but rather its a biomachine, and that what has been done to death.

For one Palladiums created a New class of Zombies, one that is unique' and Not just another rip off of the Resident Evil Z-Virus consept, which was at the time unique' and well thought out, but now is just constantly ripped off by every other Movie and has gotten Very old.

As to your "Ambiant PPE making Zombies" comment, I'm not sure whatcha mean, PPE doesn't make Zombies in DEAD REIGN, being killed by a Zombie does that, zombies just use PPE to feed and detect/see the living. It makes them heal And keeps them from rotting too much (can even restore them to Near living appearance). If not fer the application off PPE to Dead Reign it would hard to explain to everyone how a Zombie w/o eyes & ears could Sence your presence from 300ft away, Let Alone be mobile w/o the much needed "proper" muscle bone And nerve funtions, as well as the Much needed organs which maintain and support them.

Also, PPE can just be thought of as beign just like the function of Mana in the "Final Fantasy" seires of games, or the FLUX from the "Flux Riders" novels! It is like "packets" of cohesive Matrix/lattice life energy, or Bits of a persons Spirit. Each is small portion of psycho reactive life energy which acts as fuel to maintain the Undead Zombies Spirit formed nerves which allow for an eterlay enemy.

PPE is closer to being Technological in nature than being some "unexplainable" and chaotic Magical non-sence, and considering that Magic spells in PB already use PPE, your being "okay" with zombies being created from "A magic spell" means that you should have a problem with this consept either. For all anyone knows, "The Wave" which killed everyone (and then had them rise as Zombie undead) could have likely been the results of a spell to begin with, one that keeps getting transmitted like an energy matrix virus... Which is pretty much a better explaination than a biological one, and it leaves the story open to the possabity of an epic conspiracy to created a world of the Dead...
One with zombie feeding off of the "Life Force" of all things living.
It's like a really very nasty version of Bio-Warfare, one that Can't be cured!

Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Smlawrence8 wrote:Ohh and another question can the zombies see the PPE spotlight through walls...can they only see it through certian substances?

and again does anyone know the answer
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Steeler49er wrote:
Colt47 wrote:Parasites making zombies, viruses making zombies, drugs making zombies, and magic spells making zombies I can deal with. Ambient PPE making zombies... right.

Well to be honest, the Virus tricks been played too death and Does Not make a lick of sence to begin with. NO virus could even come close to doing all of the 100,000 thousands of things needed to pull off keeping a person moble like that.... Sure Nanites could, but NOT some random mutation of a virus... Never. Unless someone intentionally wishes to create a Hoard of brain eatting Zombies out of pure Sadism, no virus would ever mutate like that on its own, its just Waaaayyyyy to specific of a result (IE I want the Zombies to Feed off of the living, but leave other zombies alone, never feeding on them. Than I make the Virus reproduce Soooo many more times than is organically possable, just so as to spread the virus completely through a body so as to allow for the zombie to be able to spread the virus to others the moment it rise as one, usually in second if going by "Dawn of The Dead" infection rates. And the virus Also keeps you immortal, mobile, and undying... Just to complicated of a process for a biological cell). Second, no Virus could ever spread/reproduce through a corps, meaning such a creature is not undead at all, but rather its a biomachine, and that what has been done to death.

For one Palladiums created a New class of Zombies, one that is unique' and Not just another rip off of the Resident Evil Z-Virus consept, which was at the time unique' and well thought out, but now is just constantly ripped off by every other Movie and has gotten Very old.

As to your "Ambiant PPE making Zombies" comment, I'm not sure whatcha mean, PPE doesn't make Zombies in DEAD REIGN, being killed by a Zombie does that, zombies just use PPE to feed and detect/see the living. It makes them heal And keeps them from rotting too much (can even restore them to Near living appearance). If not fer the application off PPE to Dead Reign it would hard to explain to everyone how a Zombie w/o eyes & ears could Sence your presence from 300ft away, Let Alone be mobile w/o the much needed "proper" muscle bone And nerve funtions, as well as the Much needed organs which maintain and support them.

Also, PPE can just be thought of as beign just like the function of Mana in the "Final Fantasy" seires of games, or the FLUX from the "Flux Riders" novels! It is like "packets" of cohesive Matrix/lattice life energy, or Bits of a persons Spirit. Each is small portion of psycho reactive life energy which acts as fuel to maintain the Undead Zombies Spirit formed nerves which allow for an eterlay enemy.

PPE is closer to being Technological in nature than being some "unexplainable" and chaotic Magical non-sence, and considering that Magic spells in PB already use PPE, your being "okay" with zombies being created from "A magic spell" means that you should have a problem with this consept either. For all anyone knows, "The Wave" which killed everyone (and then had them rise as Zombie undead) could have likely been the results of a spell to begin with, one that keeps getting transmitted like an energy matrix virus... Which is pretty much a better explaination than a biological one, and it leaves the story open to the possabity of an epic conspiracy to created a world of the Dead...
One with zombie feeding off of the "Life Force" of all things living.
It's like a really very nasty version of Bio-Warfare, one that Can't be cured!

after this statement of your do you need a coffee break ?

just joking

woe
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Steeler49er
Hero

LOL...
You sure Want me to have coffee after that? :lol:

Steeler49er
Hero

Smlawrence8 wrote:
Smlawrence8 wrote:Ohh and another question can the zombies see the PPE spotlight through walls...can they only see it through certian substances?

and again does anyone know the answer

Sorry, My computer got a Virus and the reply I posted never made it.
Answere:
No, not if it is to thick and your standing at some distance from it!
Yes, if it is thin (a common plaster wall) and your against it. This means that even 'Thick' clothing or armor can still be 'seen' through, but that a 'Heavy Desk" can not, and thus will proved cover for hidding.
They can also see into the IR and UV ends of the spectrum.

Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Been thinking about this for a while, and seeing as how someone brought up the idea that Canada would fare well in a Zombie outbreak...Well....some of us would.

Statistically speaking, the majority of Canadian citizens live within 200 miles of the US border. Combine this with any zombie-spillage and the mass of refugees trying to make for the cold north and our own outbreaks, we'd last maybe a month, possibly two before everything just plain broke down into absolute anarchy.

I like to think I'm sitting fairly well when it comes to surviving an outbreak, as I live essentially in the middle of nowhere, deep in the northern Alberta bush. Put it into perspective: the nearest town is over an hour away by vehicle, every road to my town has two or more bridges crossing huge rivers, and the forest is so thick that if you walked 40ft into the trees and looked back, you'd never know there was a town to be seen.

So, how does this make where I live a good place to be: destroy the bridges, and you stop MOST z-heads as they'd be swept away by the rivers. This would also help in deterring human raiders. Heart of oil country = large equipment = ability to use surrounding trees to make an old style wooden wall around the town (combined with modern materials here and there to reinforce the wall). Hunters....lots of hunters (both fire arms and bow and arrow). They know the area, they know what the game season is like. The weather....it's almost May, and right now the temperature still regularly dips below freezing every night.

I'd like to think we could make a stand....until we had an outbreak within the wall....but I'd rather not think about that.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

How do animals react to Zeds?

and why do we call them Zeds
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

Animals, in my opinion, would probably treat a zombie much like any other threat, some would run (birds, horses, etc) or some would stand their ground (dogs, wolves, larger wild cats).

As for why we call them zeds...I dunno, just a slang term for zombie I guess.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Smlawrence8 wrote:and why do we call them Zeds

The term "Zed" comes from World War Z. It is slang used by some folks for Zombies.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Steeler49er wrote:Counties like the US, Canada, Russia and The Middle East would fair the best because they have soooo much space, And Or combat experience (not as likely to suffer from shell shock of violance), And Or Cold weather, And or Diversity of people, And Or odd & rough terrain, And Or sufficient technical development to support war and the rebuild of their civilizations...
And this IS a war, which puts 3 of the above in a great position, and the Third "Canada" would do well because they are just plain too tough to go down Period!

Thanks Steeler! I was beginning to think that our southern brothers all thought we were a bunch of *******. I'll take that as a compliment an pass it on to my Canadian buddies. Canada would have a few things working to it's advantage when the zombie hoards rise. We have a relatively small population(One tenth of the US), and combined with our large land area this provides a lot of room to run to. We have almost every kind of geography and a great many natural resources to draw from. Sorry Saskatchewan residents but the only bonus you have is being able to see them coming from miles away. :)
ZeroArmour
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ZeroArmour »

I've got two things on my mind here.

First, Trooper Jim. (If someone else already made this point, feel free to ignore me and move on). TJ, You've missed a critical point in the guns/safety issue... You aren't the average U.S. gun owner, you are a GOOD gun owner, but that just puts you in the minority. Most U.S. gun owners from what I've seen aren't that well trained, or that bright either. Take out the hunters, target-shooters, and those with military/police training; and you're left with millions of idiots who give rednecks a bad name, or learned to shoot from Hollywood movies and TV shows. These people panic when the lights go out unexpectedly and will shoot blindly at the rattling door knob, often killing a loved one. Worse, in a real crisis these people will probably shoot you for a case of water bottles and a chocolate bar!

Secondly, I love that people like Australia (G'day), but you've gotta get it into your heads that we aren't a nation of "wild ex-convicts". Transportation to Australia ended in 1868, and only 164,000 were sent in the 80 years of convict transportation, and none of them were hardend violent criminals. Just poor people who got caught stealing!
"That's the second biggest dragon I've ever seen"
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Vidynn wrote:
wildhood wrote:Refortifi the castles with the help from the tourist. Some cities in europe have walls around them too or was I just thinking of British Islands.

well, I dont know a single medieval city-wall that is still around a city (they have been taken down and/or the cities expanded beyond them), but I dont know every city in Europe of course. ;)

Valletta (capital of Malta) could be an option - though it's not medieval, more renaissance and later - it's a citadel city and whilst not completely secure now, organised survivors could possibly make it so.

It's filled with WWII bunkers/war rooms and catacombs too!
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

A'Zule wrote:I've got two things on my mind here.

First, Trooper Jim. (If someone else already made this point, feel free to ignore me and move on). TJ, You've missed a critical point in the guns/safety issue... You aren't the average U.S. gun owner, you are a GOOD gun owner, but that just puts you in the minority. Most U.S. gun owners from what I've seen aren't that well trained, or that bright either. Take out the hunters, target-shooters, and those with military/police training; and you're left with millions of idiots who give rednecks a bad name, or learned to shoot from Hollywood movies and TV shows. These people panic when the lights go out unexpectedly and will shoot blindly at the rattling door knob, often killing a loved one. Worse, in a real crisis these people will probably shoot you for a case of water bottles and a chocolate bar!

That is another misconception, You would be surprised at the level of training of the average "law abiding" gun owner. The media tries to feed the "idiot" gun owner myth to anyone that listens. The average "gun guy" isn't going to shoot at noises and door rattles.If that happened as much as you think it does.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Colt47 wrote:Wait, PPE zombification? Ugh, now I'm definitely not getting Dead Reign. If they played the pop culture just a little bit better I'd have gotten it, but I'm really getting tired of the mystical magical explanations for everything that even remotely screams out of the ordinary.
***sigh***

You do realize, my friend, that there is NO means of reanimating the corpse of a complex, carbon-based organism BESIDES the supernatural?? :wink:

There are a whole host of biochemical reasons why a dead body isn't going to get back up by Resident Evil's T-Virus, the Reanimator's potion, the dust from a comet, or anything else in the physical realm.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

You should get it. It is an good game, just change what you don't like.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

No offense to all the people and at the risk of sounding racists... I'd much rather be in the U.S. if per chance this ever went down. Japan... Come on. I'd rather have my 12 gauge and my glock, then throwing handfuls of rice at zombies. Same goes for all other countries without the right to bear arms. That means a lot more running, a lot more hand to hand combat and a lot more chances to die. I agree the U.S. sucks on a lot of things, but in the event of zombies, knowing that I can go to Wal-Mart or find at least one gun store/pawn shop in any given town or city in my country makes me feel at ease. And since I'd probably be one of the people to lose my mind and kill other humans... The whole getting shot by criminals thing doesn't apply, because I'd be the criminal.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

And I'm with Trooper Jim on this... That's probably why only like 20 people post on this board... we're the only ones that bought it!!! -You could totally just use Rifter #40, your Rifts Main Book and your Imagination to make a rival to these two books.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Unread post by ronekiln »

After a lifetime of living among gun owners here in the US, I can confidently say I've only ever met one of them that made me nervous owning a gun. One out of hundreds. The occasional idiot that makes the news is the uncommon exception, while there are hundreds if not thousands of other responsible gun owners surrounding him that never got any notice. I also know of dozens of instances where people I know pulled a firearm to protect themselves from assailants and avoided harm by doing so (only in one of these instances were shots fired). Yet not one of these instances ever got reported on the news. The media gives a very distorted perception of gun ownership in the US.

I'm not too worried about ammo running out in the US during a Zombie apocalypse. Non gun owners would be amazed how much ammo is really out there. A single afternoon of target practice by a group of friends can burn through the equivelant amount of ammo that would clear out a small town of zombies. When you go through that in only one afternoon of practice, you buy in large quantities. I myself only have two boxes of ammo, yet am sure that I would likely get blindsided and eaten before running out of ammo. There's a LOT of ammo in those two boxes.

My fear would be how little food or water purification supplies Americans keep on hand. I know very few people that keep more than a few days worth of food in their cupboards. We're extremely reliant on a food distribution system that only delivers what is needed for the next 3 days or so. Walk around your grocery store sometime and really think how long the food there would support your entire neighborhood. Days at most. Most Americans would starve long before ammo ran low.

Return to “Dead Reign™”