Dead Reign Questions

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Dead Reign Questions

Unread post by Tiree »

Okay - I don't own the book, but I always wanted to know the following:

How did Z Day Happen, is it a Biological weapon gone afoul? Or something more dastardly...

How is the Z Virus transmitted - Saliva?

Has the Zombification transferred species? Meaning can a dog, cat, bird, or other animal be infected? And if this happens, can it then transfer back to humans?
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Dead Reign Questions

Unread post by Tiree »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Tiree wrote:Okay - I don't own the book, but I always wanted to know the following:

How did Z Day Happen, is it a Biological weapon gone afoul? Or something more dastardly...

Kevin decided nobody needed an answer to that.

fluid to fluid contact

Has the Zombification transferred species? Meaning can a dog, cat, bird, or other animal be infected? And if this happens, can it then transfer back to humans?

No, humans only

Thanks!

Fluid to Fluid contact, now that could be interesting. I can see a whole community where touching and showing affection would be frowned upon. Women who want children, would need to go through special screening, and of course impregnation would also be odd to say the least.

But I just can't see it leading to quick spread of Zombies via Fluid Transfer... Maybe a dispersal system was used. Of course that goes into the realm of Kev didn't think people needed to know that...

Oh well.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Tiree wrote:Okay - I don't own the book, but I always wanted to know the following:

He decided nobody needed to know WHY it all happened ? What a copout

No, humans only

That makes no sense, if it's fluid to fluid contact, well animals have fluids too, If a zombie bit a dog or vice versa, their blood should be just as tainted as a humans.

I know this will probably get some people pissed, but it seems like lately Palladium is getting a little lazy with their books. I know everyone will jump on my back and say if you don't like Palladium then don't play. But what these fans don't see is that IS the problem. I love Palladium and it IS possible to love the game AND have views different then the main stream view (that view being EVERY single thing that Palladium puts out is gold) from the shounds of it the "original" manuscript for this new game was better.
Just my two cents.

EDIT: Post Edited - NMI
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

Razzinold wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:

No, humans only

That makes no sense, if it's fluid to fluid contact, well animals have fluids too, If a zombie bit a dog or vice versa, their blood should be just as tainted as a humans.

I know this will probably get some people pissed, but it seems like lately Palladium is getting a little lazy with their books. I know everyone will jump on my back and say if you don't like Palladium then don't play. But what these fans don't see is that IS the problem. I love Palladium and it IS possible to love the game AND have views different then the main stream view (that view being EVERY single thing that Palladium puts out is gold) from the shounds of it the "original" manuscript for this new game was better.
Just my two cents.

EDIT: Post Edited - NMI

It makes total sense. In the real world there are plenty of diseases that affect some species and not others (bird flu comes to mind - it affects birds, but not humans..yet). If you decide that zombies were created by a virus or something similar, it affects only humans. Perhaps later it might mutate to affect dogs as well, etc.. If it were something supernatural, well, then having it affect only humans is even easier to justify.

In the game, a person can become a zombie by 1 of two ways. First off, if a zombie kills a person, then they become a zombie. It doesn't matter how the zombie kills someone - as upon death the zombie still will absorb the PPE. Second, if someone is bitten and it gets infected enough to either cause them to become a half zombie or have them die from infection - they will become a zombie as well.

While currently only humans can become zombies - I would bet that in the future sourcebooks there will be the option to include zombies of different species. The main book gave me the impression that Kevin wanted the game to be a very classical zombie game. Zombie animals (Resident Evil excluded), demons, magic, the supernatural, etc. are not things you typically see in zombie movies regardless of how much you like or dislike them. Now, putting these ideas into sourcebooks - I believe that is where they belong and could make things quite interesting for people who wanted to deviate a bit from the classic genre.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

Razzinold wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Tiree wrote:How did Z Day Happen, is it a Biological weapon gone afoul? Or something more dastardly...

That is not what the book really says.

Kevin left it up to the reader on purpose, as the cause of the zombies varies from movie to movie. What he did do, was list 5 rumors that are commonly believed to have caused the apocalypse (curse from god, plague, etc). I think this fits quite well. For starters - who cares why it started - you have zombies destroying the world and trying to claw your face off - worry about that first!!!! :eek: In addition, I think a zombie campaign fits the tone of genre better if the players had no idea how it all happened - if there is nothing specific in the book, then it is all up to the dastardly mind of the GM 8)

The book is specific enough to function as a complete game, but open enough in just the right areas to allow people to tweak to their idea of what a zombie apocalypse should be.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
erc1971 wrote:
Razzinold wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Tiree wrote:How did Z Day Happen, is it a Biological weapon gone afoul? Or something more dastardly...

Kevin left it up to the reader on purpose, as the cause of the zombies varies from movie to movie. What he did do, was list 5 rumors that are commonly believed to have caused the apocalypse (curse from god, plague, etc). I think this fits quite well. For starters - who cares why it started - you have zombies destroying the world and trying to claw your face off - worry about that first!!!! :eek: In addition, I think a zombie campaign fits the tone of genre better if the players had no idea how it all happened - if there is nothing specific in the book, then it is all up to the dastardly mind of the GM 8)

The book is specific enough to function as a complete game, but open enough in just the right areas to allow people to tweak to their idea of what a zombie apocalypse should be.

Eric

I'm not gonna argue whether it was a good idea or not, but leaving the cause ambiguous is the same as not giving an answer.

:)

I disagree.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Part Viral, part Supernatural.

In the OFFICIAL Book (there is a discarded PlotLine in one of the latest Rifters), there was a super-vaccine that was distributed worldwide, and used by a sizable portion of the entire human race.

Sometime almost immediately after that, The Wave struck, but "you" don't know exactly what it was, and neither does Brad Ashley -part of the atmosphere of this setting appears to be to DELIBERATELY keep you in the dark......the same way that you would out of the lop in real life if this happened to you.

However, the Zombies are CLEARLY supernatural in nature, since under normal circumstances carbon-based lifeforms tend to be unable to indefinitely move themselves around after physical death. :D

When The Wave hit, the very first Zombies were the people that were killed by it.

Viral Transmission does NOT figure in this story at all -the Zombies create more of their kind by being the direct and immediate cause of the death of a living target. As far as the book is concerned, even if a Zombie bites you and infects you and you later die of the infection, you don't turn into one. HOWEVER, if you're fighting one of those things and you make a bad move in combat and he knocks you off the roof, you'll be turned into one provided the Zombie -any Zombie is within range to absorb your PPE at the moment of your death.

They can feed on ANY lifeform that has PPE in it, and in a pinch they'll smash to bits anything that they encounter, but they ONLY transfer the curse to other humans.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

silverlb wrote:I think the PPE feeding fits the meta-physics of the Megaverse. Psi-stakers do it, Lots of Demons do it, Rifts were caused by it.... PPE from death seems to make the world go round. Infection in the classic Zombie sense doesn't really fit in this game system. A few things do it here and there, as I can think of a few curses and monsters that cause that. However it begs a very important question. The book has Zombies feeding on PPE from as far away as 300ft.. What if the Zombie either is dorment or doesn't know you are there? can it still feed??? Or if you kill yourself within feeding range I guess you would rise as one of the dead.

on page 23 it says only active zombies taking part in the converging attack
share in the ppe and zombies that are dormant or otherwize engaged
do not recive any ppe
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Hey man, just so we are clear on the "cop-out" statement I was not meaning that as a slight against you. I think that by Kevin taking the answer away was the cop-out. I love Palladium but their "oh we left it blank so it's more fun for you" thing is getting kinda old. I know I (and I'm sure others do this as well) change things that are written in the book anyways, so why not give a straight answer ?
Like I said never meant to step on toes, and from the sounds of things, the way it was originaly wrote the game was better, gotta see if my buddy has that rifter it was in so i can borrow it. Which issue was it ?
Later
Josh
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The new source book, has anyone heard anything about what direction it will take?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
I'm not gonna argue whether it was a good idea or not, but leaving the cause ambiguous is the same as not giving an answer.

:)

I disagree.
As do I.

Real Life case In Point: I thought that it was sheer genius that, in the 2004 remake of "Dawn of the Dead," that we as the viewers didn't know anything more than the Mall's Survivors, and that all that we knew of the outside world ended the minute that the TV Station went off the air.

"Dead Reign" is and was deliberately designed (Kevin said so in the Rifter) so that the PCs (and you) wouldn't really have any idea of what's really going on.

Sometimes, it's a good thing if you DON'T know everything that's going on.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

The Dawn of the dead remake was garbage, the original was much better.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

[quote="The Galactus Kid
[/quote][/quote]

Eric[/quote]

:)[/quote]

I disagree.[/quote]

I disagree with your disagree.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

I love the choice to leave the cause a mystery. This is a horror game after all. By nature we fear what we don’t understand. If you want the characters to truly show fear, the players must have at least a little themselves.

Honestly, I loved the idea of a zombie apocalypse game, but when saw the original version in the Rifter with explanations of where it came from and how it happened I was completely disappointed. I’m probably in a minority here on the boards, but if the original concept had been kept I would have bought the book.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

I liked it too - it was gore..., uhm gorgeous! hard, fast and scary!
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Vidynn wrote:I liked it too - it was gore..., uhm gorgeous! hard, fast and scary!
Yes indeedy!!

Super-fast Zombies for tha win!!

Return to “Dead Reign™”