Bionic Horses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kaid
Knight

Re: Bionic Horses

Unread post by kaid »

shadrak wrote:
kaid wrote:
shadrak wrote:Benefit of a bionic horse:

1. Extends the life of your pre-existing mount.

2. Harder to telemecha.ically possess.

And both bionic in a robotic would probably have benefits over organic by being less susceptible to psionic and magical attacks

Downside vulnerable to animal empathy and spells to control/manipulate animals. Both are almost equally vulnerable to external control but to different flavors of similar abilities.

True...

But if you are playing against a GM that is a power gamer himself, he probably builds his NPCs with telemechanic possession over empathy.

Though, since you point it out...I will have to remember to include those capabilities for use against players that utilize real animals....

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I guess you just need to get Bob shot up and then tell him the only bionic body you could find him was a horse...

Human intelligence and capabilities...a borg...resistant to both!

Though, if I were stuck in a horse's body I would probably need to roll to save vs insanity every week.

Simvan horse bionic horse thieves have been a thing in a previous campaign I played.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

shadrak wrote:Really, no telemechanic possession?

It's really good for making a Pc's superweapon fail...or to have his AI robot turn on him...

I think it predated the spell enemy mind, too...so it was one of the first ways I encountered GMs sowing chaos in my player group.

Any time the group encountered an NPC with super psionics, you knew it was coming

Telemechanic possession is really nice but its downside is you have to be REALLY close to your target to activate it and usually the targets you would really want to mess with are things you probably don't want to get into snuggling range with on a battle field.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

It's really good for making a Pc's superweapon fail...or to have his AI robot turn on him...

I think it predated the spell enemy mind, too...so it was one of the first ways I encountered GMs sowing chaos in my player group.

Any time the group encountered an NPC with super psionics, you knew it was coming

It has massive draw backs.
Range 10 feet or touch.
Go in a trance.(yes just have your body sit on the battle field in the middle of a fight, seams safe.)

It is really easy for a group to beat that power.
Oh you need power to bad my tank has a kill switch to cut power when you do that.
Oh look he is in trance every one whos gear is working Geek the PSI.

If the GM succesfully uses it repatly on a group of players and they do not develop simple counters to it, something is wrong.

The comon encountered super psi for groups I am in are things like,

Bio-manupluation. (I played under a GM that allowed it to be used to make Charter vomit.)
Hypnotic suggestion,- player Y is crazy you need to stop him.
Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:

Range 10 feet or touch.
Go in a trance.(yes just have your body sit on the battle field in the middle of a fight, seams safe.)

Oh you need power to bad my tank has a kill switch to cut power when you do that.

If the GM succesfully uses it repatly on a group of players and they do not develop simple counters to it, something is wrong.

Bio-manupluation. (I played under a GM that allowed it to be used to make Charter vomit.)
Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword

Normally, in that particular game, the range was a lot farther...I don't think we players often thought about it. A level 15 NPC can hit you at 150'...

But when your Skelebot goes crazy in the middle of a burnt out, pre-rifts Megacity, there are a lot of places that might be 100 or 150 feet away that could shield the psychic...

And I am pretty sure we never challenged the trance...I don't think we thought about it...

What we did was stop bringing robots with us....and the GM never tried mentally possess others on us...using telemechanic possession on a machine requires the GM to roll a save, right? What player is playing the Skelebot, after all? Using mentally possess others, well, the GM would at least have to tell the player to roll vs. Psionic attack.

But any NPC that was using telemechanic possession was probably also using Telemechanic Paralysis...thus enabling the NPC to shut down the best weapon systems at the same time. Of course, back then, I didn't play psychic characters and I never thought to challenge the fact that the level 15 mind melter should be in a trance...

I'm not sure what my power-gamer GM would have done had I been intuitive and intelligent enough to do that, lol...I probably would have been looking for a new group.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

telemechanic mental operation is not going to have a particularly apparent difference to anyone looking from the outside, works at a better range for low level psychics (equal at level 4, worse at higher levels), costs substantially less ISP and thus allows for more attempts, does not require a trance and explicitly allows normal actions for the psychic (they suffer some minor penalties, but you can totally walk around while using it), and has fewer drawbacks if the machine is destroyed while under the psychic's control.

it does have other areas where it isn't as good (it doesn't last as long, doesn't let you see through the machine's eyes, and requires you to stay nearby for the entire duration).

that said, the range drawback (and the unconscious body drawback) can be largely mitigated by use of the astral projection power if you follow the actual written rule (many people don't, and typically seem to assume it is only intended to allow a *very* limited subset of psionic abilities to be used, but it does technically say you can use any psionic power that does not require phsyical contact). telemechanic possession can be done from 10 feet per level away, and therefore does not require physical contact. therefore, so long as your astral body is within that short range (which technically can include being underground or inside another object, for example, making it quite hard to detect) when you activate the ability, your physical body can actually be quite far away in a relatively safe environment.

though again, that presumes that you are not one of the (IME) many, many people who don't think you're supposed to be able to use abilities like, say.... super telekinesis, for example. whether or not telemechanic possession (or mental operation) are more like empathy and telepathy or more like telekinesis is, of course, yet another subject that could be debated for quite a long time.
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Range 10 feet or touch.

Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword

Normally, in that particular game, the range was a lot farther...I don't think we players often thought about it. A level 15 NPC can hit you at 150'...

But when your Skelebot goes crazy in the middle of a burnt out, pre-rifts Megacity, there are a lot of places that might be 100 or 150 feet away that could shield the psychic...

And I am pretty sure we never challenged the trance...I don't think we thought about it...

What we did was stop bringing robots with us....and the GM never tried mentally possess others on us...using telemechanic possession on a machine requires the GM to roll a save, right? What player is playing the Skelebot, after all? Using mentally possess others, well, the GM would at least have to tell the player to roll vs. Psionic attack.

But any NPC that was using telemechanic possession was probably also using Telemechanic Paralysis...thus enabling the NPC to shut down the best weapon systems at the same time. Of course, back then, I didn't play psychic characters and I never thought to challenge the fact that the level 15 mind melter should be in a trance...

I'm not sure what my power-gamer GM would have done had I been intuitive and intelligent enough to do that, lol...I probably would have been looking for a new group.

Using it on a AI requires save, Skelebots have AI so they get a save. Robot vehicles and PA do not have AI so get no save. Saying they do not get a save because the are not a PC, is changing the rules to his favor. LvL 15 should be rather rare to encounter.

Honestly he does not sound like a power gamer, he sounds like exploitive or killer GM possibaly with munchkin tendesies. Power gamers try build the genially strongest charter, he sounds like he was designing unreasonable encounters to exploit specific weaknesses. A power gamer charter would not relied on something you have to work, he would just work. Power gamers typically are not that subtle, and are only a rules tweek away from being a munchking.

The Odd part is that he never target non-AI teck that would be easer to control.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:telemechanic mental operation is not going to have a particularly apparent difference to anyone looking from the outside, works at a better range for low level psychics (equal at level 4, worse at higher levels), costs substantially less ISP and thus allows for more attempts, does not require a trance and explicitly allows normal actions for the psychic (they suffer some minor penalties, but you can totally walk around while using it), and has fewer drawbacks if the machine is destroyed while under the psychic's control.

it does have other areas where it isn't as good (it doesn't last as long, doesn't let you see through the machine's eyes, and requires you to stay nearby for the entire duration).

that said, the range drawback (and the unconscious body drawback) can be largely mitigated by use of the astral projection power if you follow the actual written rule (many people don't, and typically seem to assume it is only intended to allow a *very* limited subset of psionic abilities to be used, but it does technically say you can use any psionic power that does not require phsyical contact). telemechanic possession can be done from 10 feet per level away, and therefore does not require physical contact. therefore, so long as your astral body is within that short range (which technically can include being underground or inside another object, for example, making it quite hard to detect) when you activate the ability, your physical body can actually be quite far away in a relatively safe environment.

though again, that presumes that you are not one of the (IME) many, many people who don't think you're supposed to be able to use abilities like, say.... super telekinesis, for example. whether or not telemechanic possession (or mental operation) are more like empathy and telepathy or more like telekinesis is, of course, yet another subject that could be debated for quite a long time.
The power telemecanic operaiaons does not allow control of AI or borgs so would be useless in this case.

Even at max range of 150 feet that is not very far away. The power does not say it detects the machine so would logically require the PSI be aware of the machine and its location.(You could rule he can jump blind but then what he poses would be some what random.) That means most likely he needs to see the target. That allows the players to use perception rolls to spot him, if he is waiting in a location to attack bonuses from detect ambush would apply. So likely the players would have a chance to detect him before entering his 150' max kill zone.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Blue_Lion wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:telemechanic mental operation is not going to have a particularly apparent difference to anyone looking from the outside, works at a better range for low level psychics (equal at level 4, worse at higher levels), costs substantially less ISP and thus allows for more attempts, does not require a trance and explicitly allows normal actions for the psychic (they suffer some minor penalties, but you can totally walk around while using it), and has fewer drawbacks if the machine is destroyed while under the psychic's control.

The power telemecanic operaiaons does not allow control of AI or borgs so would be useless in this case.

Even at max range of 150 feet that is not very far away. The power does not say it detects the machine so would logically require the PSI be aware of the machine and its location.(You could rule he can jump blind but then what he poses would be some what random.) That means most likely he needs to see the target. That allows the players to use perception rolls to spot him, if he is waiting in a location to attack bonuses from detect ambush would apply. So likely the players would have a chance to detect him before entering his 150' max kill zone.

hmmm... you're right on the mental operation not working on intelligent machines. i run into them so rarely it seldom comes up in my games.

that said, i'm not sure what someone with detect ambush is supposed to detect when the person they're trying to detect is invisible, soundless, can travel at mach 1, and can literally be hiding inside an object in case anyone can actually see invisible things thanks to astral projection. additionally, there are ways to sense machines (the most straightforward method requiring the least extra setup would be electrokinesis to sense the electricity, which the 4th power of electrokinesis indicates they must be able to at least *somewhat* distinguish what they're sensing, but it could also involve surveillance cameras or mentally possessing other on something innocuous, like a squirrel or a mouse. or it could just be flying in astrally at mach 1 and possessing the machine before anyone can plausibly react). there could also be TW devices making them undetectable, or giving an ability to see through objects or similar.

still, i would agree that it definitely smells fishy. there probably is some "GM trying to 'win' the game" going on here, in any case, whether that comes from the GM just giving enemies exactly what they need to beat the PCs all the time or the GM just outright breaking the rules. i mean, i wouldn't say it's *impossible* that there happen to be mind melters with the specific abilities and equipment required to consistently pull off this trick waiting in ambush for the group... but i'd want a good explanation for why they're always around the party causing trouble instead of picking fights with people that aren't armed to the teeth and prone to using violence to solve problems, or otherwise doing something less likely to get them shot through the head with a plasma cannon.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

hmmm... you're right on the mental operation not working on intelligent machines. i run into them so rarely it seldom comes up in my games.

that said, i'm not sure what someone with detect ambush is supposed to detect when the person they're trying to detect is invisible, soundless, can travel at mach 1, and can literally be hiding inside an object in case anyone can actually see invisible things thanks to astral projection. additionally, there are ways to sense machines (the most straightforward method requiring the least extra setup would be electrokinesis to sense the electricity, which the 4th power of electrokinesis indicates they must be able to at least *somewhat* distinguish what they're sensing, but it could also involve surveillance cameras or mentally possessing other on something innocuous, like a squirrel or a mouse. or it could just be flying in astrally at mach 1 and possessing the machine before anyone can plausibly react). there could also be TW devices making them undetectable, or giving an ability to see through objects or similar.

still, i would agree that it definitely smells fishy. there probably is some "GM trying to 'win' the game" going on here, in any case, whether that comes from the GM just giving enemies exactly what they need to beat the PCs all the time or the GM just outright breaking the rules. i mean, i wouldn't say it's *impossible* that there happen to be mind melters with the specific abilities and equipment required to consistently pull off this trick waiting in ambush for the group... but i'd want a good explanation for why they're always around the party causing trouble instead of picking fights with people that aren't armed to the teeth and prone to using violence to solve problems, or otherwise doing something less likely to get them shot through the head with a plasma cannon.

astral projection says.
They can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Empathy, etc.; Astral travelers communicate using Telepathy

Sorry but that indicates they would be unlikely to use the power to poses the machine while in astral body as it is not a sensitive psionic power so as a general rule unable to affect the physical world. You could however poses a astral projecting machine.(Nice try but I am going to say no dice, based on the text in astral projection.)

In addition any psychic could spot them, as could animals, people with items to allow them to see invisible and SN so there is a good chance they could be detected.(not to mention the risk of attack.) And while inside a solid object you would be unable to see out of it unless you had part of yourself sticking out. (I find the idea that a group of PCs would have no one with psi or SN unlikely.)

Given the duration of the power 4 of electrokisis(2 minutes per level) it is unlikely a psi is just sitting there using it. Without knowledge there is a machine present it would be unlikely he would be using this power and it has shorter range. So again they would need to know the machine is there for them to be using the power. It never says the detection is constant or that it tells the difference between a AI robot and a suit of PA just that a device is present.(AI robots would seam to be outside the scope of power 4 as they would not have controls to affect so they may not be detected with it.) Given power 5 it is unlikely that they know the location of a device just that it is present and knowing the type would be a GM call.

Surveillance devices can be detected with observation attempts and when used as a detection method for an ambush detect ambush or detect concealment would apply.

Basically you are doing allot of mental gymastics to justify claiming a nitch power is a great threat that it would be common to encounter.(As a GM I have to be able to look at text and see through munchkin rules bending, so I am use to using the rules to stop such acts.)

Shark_Force
Palladin

Blue_Lion wrote:astral projection says.
They can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Empathy, etc.; Astral travelers communicate using Telepathy

Sorry but that indicates they would be unlikely to use the power to poses the machine while in astral body as it is not a sensitive psionic power so as a general rule unable to affect the physical world. You could however poses a astral projecting machine.(Nice try but I am going to say no dice, based on the text in astral projection.)

In addition any psychic could spot them, as could animals, people with items to allow them to see invisible and SN so there is a good chance they could be detected.(not to mention the risk of attack.) And while inside a solid object you would be unable to see out of it unless you had part of yourself sticking out. (I find the idea that a group of PCs would have no one with psi or SN unlikely.)

Given the duration of the power 4 of electrokisis(2 minutes per level) it is unlikely a psi is just sitting there using it. Without knowledge there is a machine present it would be unlikely he would be using this power and it has shorter range. So again they would need to know the machine is there for them to be using the power. It never says the detection is constant or that it tells the difference between a AI robot and a suit of PA just that a device is present.(AI robots would seam to be outside the scope of power 4 as they would not have controls to affect so they may not be detected with it.) Given power 5 it is unlikely that they know the location of a device just that it is present and knowing the type would be a GM call.

Surveillance devices can be detected with observation attempts and when used as a detection method for an ambush detect ambush or detect concealment would apply.

Basically you are doing allot of mental gymastics to justify claiming a nitch power is a great threat that it would be common to encounter.(As a GM I have to be able to look at text and see through munchkin rules bending, so I am use to using the rules to stop such acts.)

astral projection *also* says that any power that does not require physical contact can be used. and in any event, it isn't clearly shown whether telemechanic possession is a sensitive power or not; one of the most annoying things about the super psionic powers, really. we know some of them are sensitive, physical, etc, based on other books that don't have super psionics as a category, but do have some of the powers categorized as super in other books (nightbane, for example, has hypnotic suggestion as a sensitive power). some we can deduce (all the ones based on telekinesis are probably physical). the telemechanics powers i don't think are in any books without the super category, and are not directly based on any non-super powers. we might guess a category for telemechanic possession, but it would be a guess. even then, i would say the most plausible guess (based on the requirement for object read, a sensitive power, and the fact that telemechanics has more in common with machine ghost, a sensitive power, than it does with other powers) is that it is sensitive, and could thus be used.

in a typical 4 person party, it isn't even that improbable for none to have psionics. going by the standard 25% chance, you've got around a 30% chance that nobody in a group of 4 will have psionics. given that we're never told how to tell which of "most" supernatural beings can see the astral form (even if the group has anything supernatural, which is not remotely guaranteed), and animals aren't entirely standard (and even if they are, the typical horse is not going to be able to clearly communicate "hey there's an astral being floating halfway out of the ground 300 meters ahead at 3 o'clock"), it isn't entirely implausible that a group wouldn't have someone to spot the psychic. or if they do, that someone may be an animal that can't clearly communicate that fact. even if they do, hiding would be pretty easy; the psychic is invisible to normal sensors, can only even possibly be detected by some of the party, creates no scent, makes no sound, leaves no trail, and can easily hide even in a completely open flat plain with zero vegetation.

and yes, it *is* improbable. that's why i said it seems pretty fishy, and indicated i would want to know *why* there is a psychic sitting around waiting to take over the party's robots, especially if it keeps happening. i even went so far as to say that it sounds like the GM is abusing their power to "win". i'm not sure what you're getting at, quite frankly; why are you complaining as if i said it was perfectly reasonable when i specifically said that it doesn't sound like something that would reasonably happen without a good explanation.

(as to power armour not having controls, they totally do. they are almost definitely electrical in nature, at least for some part of the system, and i would say probably count as numerous separate devices, which would make it quite hard to control one, because you'd have (for example) one device to detect motion in each finger, one for the forearm, one for the bicep, etc. it would, however, be much easier to create something equivalent to a muscle spasm. but in some way or other, the armour is detecting the motion of the pilot and moving along with them, otherwise it wouldn't have its own P.S. score). but as far as sensing, it is definitely an electrical device. or rather, a whole bunch of them more likely; electric servos, pressure sensors, various other sensors, and who knows how many electrical devices that combine to make a computer (which will have some unfathomably large number of switches in it)

and while electrokinesis wouldn't necessarily tell you that something is, say... a samson power armour as compared to any other power armour, it most likely can tell you the difference between a complex device and a non-complex device, and should probably give you some idea of how powerful the power source is, so it very likely should be able to tell you the difference between a robot vehicle (oh hey, it's a humanoid-shaped collection of electrical devices with a central extremely dense cluster of electrical devices (the computer) powered by a massive energy source) and a flashlight (one electrical device connected to a much smaller energy source). furthermore, the electrokinesis power certainly implies that you will have some idea of what you're doing. it doesn't have a description that it can open and close circuits, it says you can turn lights on or off, turn on a TV, adjust volume, etc, all without seeing them, which means you must be able to *identify* light switches as being something distinct from the power button on a TV set in some way or other, unless we presume it is supposed to be you just flailing around blindly all the time hoping you're doing the right thing. i wouldn't extend that to knowing exactly which bit in a computer to manipulate to get what you want (particularly since you can only switch states 12 times per melee and to get usable input into a computer you would likely need hundreds of state changes per second at least), but i would say you could probably mess up some specific subsystem in a computer for a short period of time.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Sensitive is one of 4 categories of psi powers they are healing, physical, sensitive and super. Telemechanical possession is not found in the sensitive powers list. So it can not a sensitive power and can't be used to affect the real world, if there was some astral active device then the power would be able to affect it. (IE if the machine was taken to the astral plane through a portal it could affect it.)-When another game conflicts with Rifts rules rifts rules are used so if any other game classifies a PSI different than rifts it is irrelevant to its classification in rifts. Despite all rules lawyering attempts it is not classified a sensitive power so the way the rules are written it can not affect the real world in rifts.

Actually some OCC include psi so the chance is much lower than that. To me it seams unlikely, I have been in lots of parties and have never been in a group that no one was PSI, SN or had the ability to see invisible. (even the CS campaign I was in of 5 players 3 where psi in some way) If there is something that most can do something and they do not tell you who most is then it would logically those that can not would be pointed out in there write up. It would be more logically to point out who lacks it if you are told most have it, saying we are told most have it but not told who most is so no one can be assumed to have it is illogical. (If most people in Germany speak German you would logically expect a person in Germany speaks German unless you are told they do not.)

I never claimed PA did not have controls, because I know anything piloted by means other than VR would require physical controls. So that is really a false target, you created to knock down. Do not create false stances to attack me with to make it look like you are debunking my stance.

Nothing in the right up of power 4 says it tells you the difference of the devices you sense complex or simple, or that you know the location. You are assuming it can do allot more than the text says it can, is that your stance on all magic and psi or just a munchkin attempt to create an undetectable bot snatcher.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:Sensitive is one of 4 categories of psi powers they are healing, physical, sensitive and super. Telemechanical possession is not found in the sensitive powers list. So it can not a sensitive power and can't be used to affect the real world, if there was some astral active device then the power would be able to affect it. (IE if the machine was taken to the astral plane through a portal it could affect it.)-When another game conflicts with Rifts rules rifts rules are used so if any other game classifies a PSI different than rifts it is irrelevant to its classification in rifts. Despite all rules lawyering attempts it is not classified a sensitive power so the way the rules are written it can not affect the real world in rifts.

You are not limited to the Sensitive powers list.

"A character traveling the Material Plane via Astral Projection may use any psionic powers that do NOT require physical contact. They can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as"-pg171 RUE (I'm not going to list the examples).

The "generally" part IMHO means it is not limited to Sensitive, but would still be restricted by the "require physical contact" route.

SOME PRECEDENCE does exist with the "Astral Avenger" Psi-Implant side effect (WB12 pg150) "The Astral form of the character can attack with any kinetic powers, bio-regeneration, empathic transmission, Psi-Sword, or any mind attacks he may posses". Psi-Sword is a Super-Psionic power, kinetic powers (hydro, pyro, tele) fall in the Physical or Super Category), empathic transmision is also a Super Psionic.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Take a look at the sentence without the word generally.

They can only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers.

That is clearly a limiting sentence.

How does adding the word generally change the limiting sentence? by allowing for acceptations.

So your opinion is clearly in direct conflict with the statement that they can (generally) only affect it with sensitive powers. If they could affect the real world with any power that did not require touch there would be no reason for the limiting statement.

I hate to say this but I find claims that ignore a stated limit to create a unstoppable combo munchkin logic.

They could use any power that does not require touch to affect other things astral projecting or on the astral plane. (and there are ways to get machines on the astral plane.) But they can only affect the real world with sensitive powers.

dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Blue_Lion wrote:Take a look at the sentence without the word generally.

They can only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers.

How does adding the word generally change the limiting sentence? by allowing for acceptations.

So your opinion is clearly in direct conflict with the statement that they can (generally) only affect it with sensitive powers. If they could affect the real world with any power that did not require touch there would be no reason for the limiting statement.

I hate to say this but I find claims that ignore a stated limit to create a unstoppable combo munchkin logic.

They could use any power that does not require touch to affect other things astral projecting or on the astral plane. (and there are ways to get machines on the astral plane.) But they can only affect the real world with sensitive powers.

If your argument requires us to ignore the canon text, you are likely arguing for your own house rule. The modifier "generally" is clearly in the text. There is no ignoring it in a discussion of what the power says. So house rule,however you like, but RAW any power not requiring physical contact can be used. Telemechanic possession does not require physical contact. Ergo, on that basis it can be used.

Now, that produces some interesting issues on the distinction between an astral self and the psychic essence that is used to possess the machine, but a discrinction must exist because we know that possession does not involve a silver chord leading back to the natural body.
Last edited by dreicunan on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Shark_Force
Palladin

so if they can only "generally" do something, and there are exceptions... out of curiosity, where are the exceptions? how do we know what they are? how do we know they *don't* include any given thing? why make room for exceptions if there are none? the only basis we have for the exceptions are is the statement immediately preceding, which tells us that things which do not have a range of touch can be used.

in particular, what reason would we have to believe that an ability which is most likely an advanced sensitive power is not allowed when sensitive powers are definitely allowed? particularly when we consider that the limitation in question was likely written at a time when super psionics as a category did not even exist, given the description basically comes straight out of beyond the supernatural (in fact, i think the RMB had victor lazlo's story about astral projection in it)? heck, checking my 1st edition PDF the only psychics in BtS at the time capable of astral projection were not even capable of accessing powers that don't require touch outside of the sensitive category, as far as i can tell.

additionally, it isn't unstoppable. it's pretty hard to stop... *if* the psychic has a reason to have astrally projected somewhere and *if* people don't have access to the means to attack astral forms and *if* there is no shutdown mechanism and *if* they can't just leave the machine for a bit (duration isn't that long) and *if* the machine fails its save (remember, AIs do get to save) and *if* you can't follow their silver cord to their body and kill them while they're defenseless, and so on. but bear in mind: it takes 4d4 minutes to set up. you can't just radio in for it and the psychic pops out of nowhere 3 seconds later and is in control of the machine instantly, you need to stall for several minutes just to get to the astrally projecting part. plus, if the machine they're inhabiting is destroyed, they take a big chunk of damage straight to their hit points, so it isn't exactly risk-free. and it takes 50 ISP to even attempt, plus the cost of astral projecting.

and you know what? a person with MDC is pretty unstoppable *if* you don't have MD weapons. and they get used all the time. a were-creature is unstoppable *if* you don't have silver, magic, or psionics to damage them. a magic user with impervious to energy is pretty unstoppable *if* your MD weapons are energy-based. a magic user with carpet of adhesion is pretty unstoppable *if* you have only melee attacks (and so is anyone capable of flight and ranged attacks, for that matter). there are *tons* of things that are situationally "unstoppable" *if* you don't have the thing to stop them in rifts. why should we make a special exception for this one thing and declare that it's ok for all those other hard counters to exist, but heaven forbid we should allow one for psionics that probably costs 1/3 to 1/2 of a master psychic's ISP (58 minimum cost) and potentially up to 4 minutes to even get started on the attempt. heck, this is so much less of a problem than bio-manipulation:paralysis that it just looks even *more* absurd that we should panic over it when psionics already has more difficult to stop options. for a fraction of the cost of telemechanic possession, i can just paralyze a person for several minutes, and i don't need any special preparation time to set it up either, and it takes only one power known (no prerequisites) and it has several other functions as well (including the ability to kill danged near anyone within range if you know where they are, through body armour, through walls, heck, it should even work through a robot vehicle provided you know where the pilot sits). and you're pitching a fit over astral projection with telemechanic possession?

rifts psionics has problems. like the fact that several powers are extremely substandard (mind bolt, i'm looking at you!) or that most of the time a mind melter will use only a couple of specific psychic powers over and over and over because they're so much stronger in common situations than other options. the potential to astrally project into a robot and risk losing a sizable chunk of your HP (again, not SDC... hit points) to fight in it or whatever is really not a big one.
Blue_Lion
Knight

dreicunan wrote:

If your argument requires us to ignore the canon text, you are likely arguing for your own house rule. The modifier "generally" is clearly in the text. There is no ignoring it in a discussion of what the power says. So house rule,however you like, but RAW any power not requiring physical contact can be used. Telemechanic possession does not require physical contact. Ergo, on that basis it can be used.

Now, that produces some interesting issues on the distinction between an astral seldlf and the psychic essence that is used to possess the machine, but a discrinction must exist because we know that possession does not involve a silver chord leading back to the natural body.

The rules may say you can use powers that do not require touch but the rules also say you can only affect the real world in general with sensitive powers. So by the rules while you could use the power while astral projecting you could not affect anything in the real world with telemechanic possession. That is not a house rule that is what the text in the book says.

they can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as"-pg171 RUE
That statment is clearly a limit.

Litterly it means-they can as a rule(in general terms without regard to particulars and expectations) only affect the physical world by sensitive powers.

I have never questioned their ability to use the ability however we have a rule that they can only affect the physical world with senitive powrs. That is not a house rule that is text right out of the book. So while they could use psi armor, tk or telemechanics posesion while astrally projecting they can not use those powers to affect the physical world. They could logically however be used to affect things that are astrally present. To claim they can is what i call munchkin logic-partially using the rules while ignoring the inconvent limitions to create a false advantage.

Now then your opinion is in disregard to the text and English used in it, as the word in general allows for exceptions to a rule in the rule. The precedence you quoted actually disproves your stance.
Generally allows for an expectation to the statement. See the part where it points out he can use empathic transmission or any mind attacks while astral projecting was so significant they had to point it out. That was a special affect that needed to be pointed out as an exception to a rule if that was the norm it would not have been worth pointing out.

:nh: really trying to use an example of exception of a rule that allows for ecceptions to disprove the rule.

Your opinion is irrelvent the meaning of the text clearly indicates that only senstive powers can affect the physicial world while astrally projecting.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:

so if they can only "generally" do something, and there are exceptions... out of curiosity, where are the exceptions? how do we know what they are? how do we know they *don't* include any given thing? why make room for exceptions if there are none? the only basis we have for the exceptions are is the statement immediately preceding, which tells us that things which do not have a range of touch can be used.

in particular, what reason would we have to believe that an ability which is most likely an advanced sensitive power is not allowed when sensitive powers are definitely allowed? particularly when we consider that the limitation in question was likely written at a time when super psionics as a category did not even exist, given the description basically comes straight out of beyond the supernatural (in fact, i think the RMB had victor lazlo's story about astral projection in it)? heck, checking my 1st edition PDF the only psychics in BtS at the time capable of astral projection were not even capable of accessing powers that don't require touch outside of the sensitive category, as far as i can tell.

additionally, it isn't unstoppable. it's pretty hard to stop... *if* the psychic has a reason to have astrally projected somewhere and *if* people don't have access to the means to attack astral forms and *if* there is no shutdown mechanism and *if* they can't just leave the machine for a bit (duration isn't that long) and *if* the machine fails its save (remember, AIs do get to save) and *if* you can't follow their silver cord to their body and kill them while they're defenseless, and so on. but bear in mind: it takes 4d4 minutes to set up. you can't just radio in for it and the psychic pops out of nowhere 3 seconds later and is in control of the machine instantly, you need to stall for several minutes just to get to the astrally projecting part. plus, if the machine they're inhabiting is destroyed, they take a big chunk of damage straight to their hit points, so it isn't exactly risk-free. and it takes 50 ISP to even attempt, plus the cost of astral projecting.

and you know what? a person with MDC is pretty unstoppable *if* you don't have MD weapons. and they get used all the time. a were-creature is unstoppable *if* you don't have silver, magic, or psionics to damage them. a magic user with impervious to energy is pretty unstoppable *if* your MD weapons are energy-based. a magic user with carpet of adhesion is pretty unstoppable *if* you have only melee attacks (and so is anyone capable of flight and ranged attacks, for that matter). there are *tons* of things that are situationally "unstoppable" *if* you don't have the thing to stop them in rifts. why should we make a special exception for this one thing and declare that it's ok for all those other hard counters to exist, but heaven forbid we should allow one for psionics that probably costs 1/3 to 1/2 of a master psychic's ISP (58 minimum cost) and potentially up to 4 minutes to even get started on the attempt. heck, this is so much less of a problem than bio-manipulation:paralysis that it just looks even *more* absurd that we should panic over it when psionics already has more difficult to stop options. for a fraction of the cost of telemechanic possession, i can just paralyze a person for several minutes, and i don't need any special preparation time to set it up either, and it takes only one power known (no prerequisites) and it has several other functions as well (including the ability to kill danged near anyone within range if you know where they are, through body armour, through walls, heck, it should even work through a robot vehicle provided you know where the pilot sits). and you're pitching a fit over astral projection with telemechanic possession?

rifts psionics has problems. like the fact that several powers are extremely substandard (mind bolt, i'm looking at you!) or that most of the time a mind melter will use only a couple of specific psychic powers over and over and over because they're so much stronger in common situations than other options. the potential to astrally project into a robot and risk losing a sizable chunk of your HP (again, not SDC... hit points) to fight in it or whatever is really not a big one.

The short answer is the tell us when something operates different than the rules.

So if a psi power is not from the sentive category they would need to tell us it can be used while astral projecting. A good example was just posted in the astral avenger side affect that states several powers that are super as being useable while astrally projecting. You list exceptions after a rule not before it.

By the rules yes, you can not use a any power from anything other than sentive even if it does seam releaated to sensitive. The rules are not always logical but they are the rules. I will not claim rules are always logical but they are the rules.

**note-my copy of palladium fantasy rpg 2nd ed printed 1998 has the category super but lacks the text about astral travel in question as does my copy of the original rifts book printed in 1991. That means the limiting text in question was added to rifts after the creation of the super category. Disproving the theory that it was written before the creation of the super category.

Your point about it being hard to stop kind of makes it sound like giving it is agianst the limit a munchkin strategy to seam to have an advantage that is really breaking the rules.

The rest of your post is such a irrelvent rant it is not worth adressing.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Blue_Lion wrote:The short answer is the tell us when something operates different than the rules. So if a psi power is not from the sentive category they would need to tell us it can be used while astral projecting. A good example was just posted in the astral avenger side affect that states several powers that are super as being useable while astrally projecting.

You have it back words the preceding text is not an exception but something that is limited by the fallowing text.

By the rules yes, you can not use a any power from anything other than sentive even if it does seam releaated to sensitive. The rules are not always logical but they are the rules. I will not claim rules are always logical but they are the rules.

Your point about it being hard to stop kind of makes it sound like giving it is agianst the limit a munchkin strategy to seam to have an advantage that is really breaking the rules.

again, in another setting, one without super psionics, telemechanics almost definitely would be sensitive. it has sensitive psionics as prerequisites. it is quite similar in nature to a sensitive psionic power (machine ghost) and is not similar to any physical or healing powers. it is *extremely* closely related to telemechanics which is "a bizarre combination of telepathy and object read", which are both sensitive powers. and we know for certain that sensitive powers that do not require touch can be used.

you're making a big deal out of nothing. it isn't particularly stronger than any number of other things that are already in the game, it's clunky and hard to use, it involves risk, it can be countered, and it's well within reasonable limits of what is described for the astral projection power. even if you presume it's supposed to be limited to stuff that is like telepathy, well hey guess what: telemechanics is explicitly like telepathy, and telemechanic possession is definitely like telemechanics.

if a specific party needs to go find someone to help them deal with it, then it isn't really meaningfully different from the party needing to find someone who can recharge their e-clips or repair their armour.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:The short answer is the tell us when something operates different than the rules. So if a psi power is not from the sentive category they would need to tell us it can be used while astral projecting. A good example was just posted in the astral avenger side affect that states several powers that are super as being useable while astrally projecting.

You have it back words the preceding text is not an exception but something that is limited by the fallowing text.

again, in another setting, one without super psionics, telemechanics almost definitely would be sensitive. it has sensitive psionics as prerequisites. it is quite similar in nature to a sensitive psionic power (machine ghost) and is not similar to any physical or healing powers. it is *extremely* closely related to telemechanics which is "a bizarre combination of telepathy and object read", which are both sensitive powers. and we know for certain that sensitive powers that do not require touch can be used.

you're making a big deal out of nothing. it isn't particularly stronger than any number of other things that are already in the game, it's clunky and hard to use, it involves risk, it can be countered, and it's well within reasonable limits of what is described for the astral projection power. even if you presume it's supposed to be limited to stuff that is like telepathy, well hey guess what: telemechanics is explicitly like telepathy, and telemechanic possession is definitely like telemechanics.

if a specific party needs to go find someone to help them deal with it, then it isn't really meaningfully different from the party needing to find someone who can recharge their e-clips or repair their armour.
How it would be clasified out side rifts is irrelvent to how it is clasified in rifts.

I disagree with your dismissal of its importants. If you allow one power outside senitive you have to allow others and then where do you stop. It is a delberate attempt to remove limits on psicics, I see it as explotive, abusive, and what I would consider munchkin you may disagree and that is your right but your disagreement with the rules does not change the rules.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I am not going to consider the RAW sentence w/o "generally" in it (and really by your context you mean to take "generally" out of the sentence and NOT the quoted sentence without generally in it by RAW). In this case "generally" acts to modify the meaning of word(s) in the sentence, if you remove it you alter what the text actually states. Its like taking the sentence "Generally people are right hand dominant", if we remove "generally" from it you ignore the left handed or ambidextrous people that we know exist.

The use of "generally" in the text allows for exceptions, if we take it out we end up with an exclusive listing which is not the intent given the Astral Avenger is MPAP and specifically is called out using Super Psionic Powers and totally ignores the preceding sentence that states ALL powers are available except those that require physical contact. Text also makes MPAP that the user is essentially an ethereal entity (and a Banshee is an ethereal entity that can use a form of Empathic Transmission, a SPP providing further precedent).

Physical contact would rule out ectoplasm and anything that requires touch. Though some powers exist with a range of "touch or range of #ft/m" which blur the line. Some interpretation levels of "physical contact" would also rule out some other powers, depending on just how one interprets "physical contact".

Blue_Lion wrote:How it would be clasified out side rifts is irrelvent to how it is clasified in rifts.

I have to disagree. Palladium is known to do "Copy and Paste" with little/no editing, which could cause trouble if powers are classified differently (ex. Nightbane IINM has no Super Psionic Powers Category, but does use those powers).
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Range 10 feet or touch.

Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword

Using it on a AI requires save, Skelebots have AI so they get a save. Robot vehicles and PA do not have AI so get no save. Saying they do not get a save because the are not a PC, is changing the rules to his favor. LvL 15 should be rather rare to encounter.

Honestly he does not sound like a power gamer, he sounds like exploitive or killer GM possibaly with munchkin tendesies. Power gamers try build the genially strongest charter, he sounds like he was designing unreasonable encounters to exploit specific weaknesses. A power gamer charter would not relied on something you have to work, he would just work. Power gamers typically are not that subtle, and are only a rules tweek away from being a munchking.

The Odd part is that he never target non-AI teck that would be easer to control.

Who rolls the save for the NPC skelebot ;) "oh, he just kept trying until it worked!!!"

And, legitimately, the GM may be rolling a D20 a few times...and maybe it is only to check to see if you encounter someone. Who knows why the GM is rolling dice...

Also, that save is 15+...to my knowledge, skelebots don't have an ME attribute to provide them with a bonus...so, even without a dirty GM, 7 out of 10 attempts/70%of the time, the skelebot is going to fail.

That new OCC in Coalition: Heroes of Humanity is actually pretty necessary...

That's what makes the Telemechanic possession different from mentally posses others...when the attempt fails, unless you have something already setup in your gameplay, the PCs may not know that the attempt was made...

Who role plays computer logs that will notify people of attempts to hack a computers system..

Maybe in Cyberpunk or Shadowrun...very rare in Rifts.

Nowadays, any AI NPC in my group feeds all information to me and through me, including if I use a robot horse.

With regard to facing off against level 15 mind melters being a rare occurrence, I would agree, but it should be more common than facing off against a random adult dragon...and that happened more than a few times in that group.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

The issue of what powers will work from someone astrally projecting is clearly listed under the astral avenger effect. The extra damage part being inflicted does not apply since that relates to the blind insane rage of being berserk.

But basically if a spirit entity can do it so can a projected astral body.
Last edited by VR Dragon on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Range 10 feet or touch.

Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword

Who rolls the save for the NPC skelebot ;) "oh, he just kept trying until it worked!!!"

And, legitimately, the GM may be rolling a D20 a few times...and maybe it is only to check to see if you encounter someone. Who knows why the GM is rolling dice...

Also, that save is 15+...to my knowledge, skelebots don't have an ME attribute to provide them with a bonus...so, even without a dirty GM, 7 out of 10 attempts/70%of the time, the skelebot is going to fail.

That's what makes the Telemechanic possession different from mentally posses others...when the attempt fails, unless you have something already setup in your gameplay, the PCs may not know that the attempt was made...

Who role plays computer logs that will notify people of attempts to hack a computers system..

Nowadays, any AI NPC in my group feeds all information to me and through me, including if I use a robot horse.

With regard to facing off against level 15 mind melters being a rare occurrence, I would agree, but it should be more common than facing off against a random adult dragon...and that happened more than a few times in that group.

Who rolls perception to detect the hiding psi? Every PC should get a roll even if it is secrete so the party would have a multiple chances to detect the psi hiding to ambush before he could steal the skellebot. Nice how 1 rule totally trashed your the PC would never know theory.

Most groups I have been in there typically is not skellebots in the group. While the available targets are manned and if the GM was using this power the logical defense would be kill switches and burn down the near by psi.

I would think there are more adault dragons in rifts(as we had 2 cities of them) than level 15 mortal charters. Erin Tarin has been every where seen most major events and is only lvl 14. So yes I see it more likly to encounter an adault dragon than a lvl 15 mortal charter.

Blue_Lion
Knight

VR Dragon wrote:Sorry but they are correct about the psi powers and the physical world while astral projecting.

A poltergeist is a astral being and can use its powers of telekinesis just fine to even kill physical beings on the physical earthly plane with say a butcher knife or vibro blade.

So any power that is physical in nature and requires touch would not work. So no mind bonds or mind wipes or object reading. But you can set a house on fire with pyrokinesis and ignite flame, you can telekinesis lift people or hit them with stuff. Just nothing the spirit would have to physically directly interact with. Indirectly is perfectly with in the rules in both as written and in the spirit of.

So they xould also possess other or telemech possess a person or bot. Spirits do it so can a astral projected person.

Its why astral projection it more than just a scouting power.

Nope that is an example of an exception, and exceptions to a rule do not disprove the rule.
The book says astraly projecting psi can only affect the physical world with senitive powers.
Whitch is why it was referned to as an spy power by earlier books.

They can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Empathy, etc.; Astral travelers communicate using Telepathy. RUE pg 171

Oh look it says they can only affect the physical world with sensitive psionic powers, but there would be exceptions. So no a normal psi could not start a fire on the physical plane with pyrokinsis, but he coulde use it to start a fire in an astral domain.

Basically your logic is using the special abilty of one astral being to give that power to all astral charters. That would be like saying well lizard mage TW can make rune weapons so all TW can make rune weapons.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

No it is not an exception. It is how it has been done from day one.

Take off your person bias reading glasses, accept you are mistaken, and update your misunderstanding.

Astral spirit beings do it with psionics so do astral projected player spirit beings.

You're the one trying to make the exception. Seems to be a case of "oh no that makes psychics too powerful". Its not too power its just how it is.

The sensitive power statement is for communication. How do I talk to a person from the astral plane? You can't talk directly so here are some ways...

Same works with the physical stuff. All the damn astral avenger thing did was lay it out in better definition.

Here is the little statement that proves the concept. Directly from RUE, Pahe 171, left side.

"A character traveling the Material Plane via Astral Projection may use any psionic that does NOT require physical contact."

So read the physical power. IF it lists a RANGE to it then yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

Psi-Sword, All those Kinesis Powers, TK Push, TK Punch, TK-Force Field, Telemech powers with a range other than touch, etc etc etc.

Hmm, seems what was exactly listed under Astral Avenger doesn't it. So not seeing an exception listed difference between the astral projection material and that listed under avenger. The exception that is clear is all the "powers inflict double damage" under the Avenger entry.

The problem is clearly in the paragraph that says A ghostly observer. Well information update, Pscyscape came along and gave us a bunch new wonderful powers. Also since astral project is a minor power its clear it will most often be minor psychically used. But with mind melters and other master psychics having bigger powers... they get more powerful options.
Blue_Lion
Knight

VR Dragon wrote:No it is not an exception. It is how it has been done from day one.

Take off your person bias reading glasses, accept you are mistaken, and update your misunderstanding.

Astral spirit beings do it with psionics so do astral projected player spirit beings.

You're the one trying to make the exception. Seems to be a case of "oh no that makes psychics too powerful". Its not too power its just how it is.

The sensitive power statement is for communication. How do I talk to a person from the astral plane? You can't talk directly so here are some ways...

Same works with the physical stuff. All the damn astral avenger thing did was lay it out in better definition.

Here is the little statement that proves the concept. Directly from RUE, Pahe 171, left side.

"A character traveling the Material Plane via Astral Projection may use any psionic that does NOT require physical contact."

So read the physical power. IF it lists a RANGE to it then yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

Psi-Sword, All those Kinesis Powers, TK Push, TK Punch, TK-Force Field, Telemech powers with a range other than touch, etc etc etc.

Hmm, seems what was exactly listed under Astral Avenger doesn't it. So not seeing an exception listed difference between the astral projection material and that listed under avenger. The exception that is clear is all the "powers inflict double damage" under the Avenger entry.

The problem is clearly in the paragraph that says A ghostly observer. Well information update, Pscyscape came along and gave us a bunch new wonderful powers. Also since astral project is a minor power its clear it will most often be minor psychically used. But with mind melters and other master psychics having bigger powers... they get more powerful options.

So let me get this straight when the say affect the physical world the yare only talking about talking? I am calling BS on that statement as affect is more than just talking.

How about you take a step back from your personal bias and relook at what it says.

If you read the next line after the one you quoted about using any power you would see they placed a limit on affecting the physical plane.

Please explain how that is logically only talking about talking/communicating?

Look at all the charter gains while astrally projecting
impervious to physical harm (including cold, heat and energy)

That means unless a party has a psi a astrally projecting charter can not be attacked. Seams broaken and expxlotive.

Using that if the CS had a firestorm mobile fortress flying near a lake a psi could astrally project use telemechanic possesion to take control of it and do a noise dive into the lake with all doors open and the only defense the CS has is to have psi astrally projecting to attack him before he gets in range.

Your idea of how it works is in direct conclict with a stated rule, that is not how it always worked. exceptions like astral beings and astral avenger do not disprove a rule that is worded to allow exceptions.

Ignoring an inconvenient rule is a poor stance for a logical debate.

I do not ignore that it says they can use any power that does not require touch, I simply acknowledge they can use powers other than sensitive to affect the real world. You could still use your other powers to affect things that are astral as I have said before.

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Call BS all you like but thats how it works.

Yes a astral projecting player is for all effects a ghost.

Yes you cannot hurt a ghost with physical energy, bullets, or whatever tech. Magic weapons and stuff as listed under that astral avenger will hurt one though.

Yes to your CS in the plane and crash. If the power would allow for that then it is how it works. They had a case where tectonic entities possessed a buch of powered off robots and caused alk kinds of hell.

But psionics are not all power. A simple psi exorcism forces and prevents astral projectors from being in an area to. That is also a minor power.

You have problems with it. That is your issue. Its called being creative with your powers. Dont be turned off by it, embrace it and run with it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Blue_Lion wrote:Using that if the CS had a firestorm mobile fortress flying near a lake a psi could astrally project use telemechanic possesion to take control of it and do a noise dive into the lake with all doors open and the only defense the CS has is to have psi astrally projecting to attack him before he gets in range.

or, you know, the pilot could flick the power switch off, and then on again, and the psychic's power ends and there goes 50 ISP down the tube. or the CS could use their literal army of psychic sensitives to detect the attack beforehand. or they just don't let the psychic know there's a flying fortress in the area and the psychic never shows up in the first place because it isn't likely to happen randomly and by the time they've reacted to the presence of the fortress the fortress can be long gone. or they could use their army of psychic sensitives to track down the psychic that is trying to attack the fortress (there is literally a silver cord they can follow, even if they didn't have an ability to track a power being used to the person that is using it) and shoot them while they lie there helplessly. or something that size is actually split into a number of machines, given that there is likely no central console that controls every single window, door, etc in the vehicle, and/or various parts of the vehicle are deliberately built to not use power so that they can't be controlled by enemy psychics. or the vehicle could be largely undamaged by water and the CS issues environmental body armour to everyone so there's no drowning either (there are likely some injuries if the pilot does not react in time to prevent the crash - which they probably can do - but probably not many deaths, since if it's high enough to kill people in body armour it's probably high enough to react to the attack several times over before the vehicle crashes).

so congratulations on spending 58 (or more) ISP to cause a minor nuisance. and by the way, you're really going to wish you had that 58 ISP back in a few minutes when the CS track you to your physical body.

(now, people who *aren't* the CS? well, they might have a bit of a harder time dealing with it, but if you start doing it consistently, psi-stalkers aren't that rare, so expect one to show up eventually. not to mention, most people don't have as many angry psychics trying to kill them as the CS does, so that likely helps with making it a non-issue in the setting as well).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Or maybe the CS sends out some astral 'wingmen' with their various forces. Who engage other astral projectors as they get close.

The assumption that a super nifty trick that will allow for a single character to mash the I Win Button will never occur to anyone else is pretty silly. If you can think of it, then chances are the other side can think of it too. And will take precautions.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Blue_Lion wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

Now, that produces some interesting issues on the distinction between an astral seldlf and the psychic essence that is used to possess the machine, but a discrinction must exist because we know that possession does not involve a silver chord leading back to the natural body.

The rules may say you can use powers that do not require touch but the rules also say you can only affect the real world in general with sensitive powers. So by the rules while you could use the power while astral projecting you could not affect anything in the real world with telemechanic possession. That is not a house rule that is what the text in the book says.

they can generally only affect the physical world (or themselves be affected from physical beings) by Sensitive psionic powers such as"-pg171 RUE
That statment is clearly a limit.

Litterly it means-they can as a rule(in general terms without regard to particulars and expectations) only affect the physical world by sensitive powers.

I have never questioned their ability to use the ability however we have a rule that they can only affect the physical world with senitive powrs. That is not a house rule that is text right out of the book. So while they could use psi armor, tk or telemechanics posesion while astrally projecting they can not use those powers to affect the physical world. They could logically however be used to affect things that are astrally present. To claim they can is what i call munchkin logic-partially using the rules while ignoring the inconvent limitions to create a false advantage.

Now then your opinion is in disregard to the text and English used in it, as the word in general allows for exceptions to a rule in the rule. The precedence you quoted actually disproves your stance.
Generally allows for an expectation to the statement. See the part where it points out he can use empathic transmission or any mind attacks while astral projecting was so significant they had to point it out. That was a special affect that needed to be pointed out as an exception to a rule if that was the norm it would not have been worth pointing out.

:nh: really trying to use an example of exception of a rule that allows for ecceptions to disprove the rule.

Your opinion is irrelvent the meaning of the text clearly indicates that only senstive powers can affect the physicial world while astrally projecting.

:lol:

Your entire argument is predicated on ignoring the plain meaning of the canon text. Just look at your last sentence. You turn "generally" into "only". A cursory survey of reputable dictionaries will aid you in understanding why you are 100% wrong about this. Great house rule and all, but clearly not what the canon text says.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

We can move on from this pointless astral argument. Each person has said their piece.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:It has massive draw backs.
Range 10 feet or touch.

Empathic transmission.
Telemechanics paralysis.
PSi-sword

Who rolls perception to detect the hiding psi? Every PC should get a roll even if it is secrete so the party would have a multiple chances to detect the psi hiding to ambush before he could steal the skellebot. Nice how 1 rule totally trashed your the PC would never know theory.

Most groups I have been in there typically is not skellebots in the group. While the available targets are manned and if the GM was using this power the logical defense would be kill switches and burn down the near by psi.

I would think there are more adault dragons in rifts(as we had 2 cities of them) than level 15 mortal charters. Erin Tarin has been every where seen most major events and is only lvl 14. So yes I see it more likly to encounter an adault dragon than a lvl 15 mortal charter.

LOL...those games long pre-dated perception...

But I bet that GM would have have determined you needed a natural 20 to perceive the psychic hiding in the 4th floor of the building across the street...

With regard to level 15 characters...you are seeing more and more of them in source material today...

And, since a GM determines the appropriate level for an NPC in their game, you might have a GM that sets you up against a level 15 vagabond for warmup and a level 15 mystic knight for the main course...

Although, in the game that we were playing, I am pretty sure the psychic was less than 10th level.

And, no, CS body armor doesn't explicitly have thermal imaging...we discovered that as well...

Anyway, other shredding our fancy new CS armor and getting us to expend a lot of ammo, the Skelebot down pretty easily.

As far as kill switches...that makes sense, but where is it in canon? ;) And, given that the standard Coalition protocols for response to a psi-attack on a skelebot are not canon (at least, not in 2001 - anything come out for Coalition Wars for the Skelebot graveyards?), players would probably have to articulate them prior to an encounter...and, at that time, we didn't anticipate it.

Perhaps we were just lucky we hadn't had the Terror Trooper we demanded prior to them mission. That would have been a lot harder to kill and we probably would have been in a situation where half of us were out of armor if a power armor suit was unmanned....

Thinking about it, though, had we wanted to effectively challenge the GM we could have probably demanded that the Skelebot use the Psychic's skills rather than the skelebot's programmed abilities.

But even then, I am not sure we knew exactly why the skelebot turned (magic spell? the headquarters guy that we fought with about the Terror Trooper mad at us and decided to frag us while we were out?)...

But we did learn a little about that particular psychic ability and telemechanic mental operation a few times over the course of the few playing sessions...

Ammo is rapidly expended and there are some fratricidal tendencies in a battle when your guns are firing without your control.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:
VR Dragon wrote:No it is not an exception. It is how it has been done from day one.

So let me get this straight when the say affect the physical world the yare only talking about talking? I am calling BS on that statement as affect is more than just talking.

How about you take a step back from your personal bias and relook at what it says.

If you read the next line after the one you quoted about using any power you would see they placed a limit on affecting the physical plane.

That means unless a party has a psi a astrally projecting charter can not be attacked. Seams broaken and expxlotive.

Using that if the CS had a firestorm mobile fortress flying near a lake a psi could astrally project use telemechanic possesion to take control of it and do a noise dive into the lake with all doors open and the only defense the CS has is to have psi astrally projecting to attack him before he gets in range.

Your idea of how it works is in direct conclict with a stated rule, that is not how it always worked. exceptions like astral beings and astral avenger do not disprove a rule that is worded to allow exceptions.

I do not ignore that it says they can use any power that does not require touch, I simply acknowledge they can use powers other than sensitive to affect the real world. You could still use your other powers to affect things that are astral as I have said before.

Interesting! In my previous group in question, we would never be able have access to a Firestorm, but I can see my GM trying to pull something like that...

My response would be as follows:

Probably wouldn't be able to telemechanically possess a flying Firestorm, but that would depend on if the Firestorm is controlled like a powerarmor or why a powerarmor cannot be telemechanically possessed when it has a pilot...

Is it simply because there is a pilot? Is it because there is a neural connection between the pilot and the machine?

If it is the first, the Firestorm can't be tanked unless it is parked or is on autopilot. If it is the second, does the Firestorm have the same type of connection between the pilot and the machine as powerarmor?

And, if that didn't work, I would have to challenge the GM by asking whether the astral body fell into a coma as well, lol.

Maybe you could pull something like that off with telemechanic operation, but it would probably be harder to successfully manage a complete hijacking of a large machine like that with a single psychic...

But it is an interesting concept!!!

Perhaps an adventure where large vehicles are targeted for hijacking for either theft or destruction?
Shark_Force
Palladin

skelebots have a anti-tampering explosive that detonates when someone tries to crack open their skull to practice their computer (re)programming skills, according to the CWC books (which at least somewhat makes sense for something you typically just send off to go kill stuff and don't typically expect to repair, less so for something you might ever expect to need to fix). i believe it also is supposed to detonate if someone tries to remove the power plant without having the right code.

as to whether or not skelebots are programmed to detonate that bomb when controlled (and whether or not the bomb would be controlled by the psychic or is a separate system), or if they can even tell when they're being controlled, that is substantially less clear. it's pretty much a GM call on that. if they can, then the bomb would be a pretty effective countermeasure considering possession costs so much to do and then when the skelebot explodes it does damage direct to hit points on the psychic that was doing the possessing... i mean, by definition, not enough to ever one-shot the psychic, but it would be enough to prevent anyone from doing it on a regular basis.

of course, either your GM didn't know or decided that they don't just detonate their own self-destruct system, so that's a bust.

as for an external shut-off mechanism for the skelebot, i wouldn't expect there to be one. they were designed so that you send them off in a direction murdering most things they find along the way, which you don't do if you care deeply about anything that happens to be in that direction. in such a case, it makes more sense to ensure that they won't be shut down than it does to make it easier to shut them down. if the CS has started using them alongside their own troops, i could believe they'd have a variation on the original that does have some kind of shut down mechanism, though they would definitely want it to be fairly secure (like requiring a special tool that is hard to duplicate and hard to steal). perhaps something like a button that cycles power on and off, just for the equivalent of one action, would do the trick; a person could trade one action for one skelebot action, but you wouldn't be able to permanently disable them. that would do a lot to protect them from psychics (though it wouldn't damage the psychic, it would boot them out of the bot at a relatively low resource cost).
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Shark_Force wrote:skelebots have a anti-tampering explosive that detonates when someone tries to crack open their skull to practice their computer (re)programming skills, according to the CWC books (which at least somewhat makes sense for something you typically just send off to go kill stuff and don't typically expect to repair, less so for something you might ever expect to need to fix). i believe it also is supposed to detonate if someone tries to remove the power plant without having the right code.

as to whether or not skelebots are programmed to detonate that bomb when controlled (and whether or not the bomb would be controlled by the psychic or is a separate system), or if they can even tell when they're being controlled, that is substantially less clear. it's pretty much a GM call on that. if they can, then the bomb would be a pretty effective countermeasure considering possession costs so much to do and then when the skelebot explodes it does damage direct to hit points on the psychic that was doing the possessing... i mean, by definition, not enough to ever one-shot the psychic, but it would be enough to prevent anyone from doing it on a regular basis.

of course, either your GM didn't know or decided that they don't just detonate their own self-destruct system, so that's a bust.

as for an external shut-off mechanism for the skelebot, i wouldn't expect there to be one. they were designed so that you send them off in a direction murdering most things they find along the way, which you don't do if you care deeply about anything that happens to be in that direction. in such a case, it makes more sense to ensure that they won't be shut down than it does to make it easier to shut them down. if the CS has started using them alongside their own troops, i could believe they'd have a variation on the original that does have some kind of shut down mechanism, though they would definitely want it to be fairly secure (like requiring a special tool that is hard to duplicate and hard to steal). perhaps something like a button that cycles power on and off, just for the equivalent of one action, would do the trick; a person could trade one action for one skelebot action, but you wouldn't be able to permanently disable them. that would do a lot to protect them from psychics (though it wouldn't damage the psychic, it would boot them out of the bot at a relatively low resource cost).

Well, if the first few attacks are successful or not, if a psychic tries to take down an coalition airplane with a shoe or underwear bomb the Coalition is going to start making people take their shoes off...

Nega-psychics and psi-nullifiers on every operation that involves significant numbers or $$$'s?
Shark_Force
Palladin

don't need to go crazy on expenses. none of the powers work on machines without power sources, so just cycle the power off and on and you boot out the psychic. you might need a psi-stalker or dog boy on duty at all times to let you know when a power is being used on your vehicle, and then when you lose control you just disconnect the power supply for a few seconds.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

shadrak wrote:As far as kill switches...that makes sense, but where is it in canon? ;)

I am not aware of any canon listing of what controls are and are not inside a vehicle. If this is a common problem in that world though it is pretty likely that the simple solution will be common.

Beyond that? It is about as cannon as the question of if mecha are started by push buttons or have keys or if the controls are labled in english or pictograms or techno-can...
aka it doesn't matter and the challange is moot because the entire field isnt covered.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Interesting! In my previous group in question, we would never be able have access to a Firestorm, but I can see my GM trying to pull something like that...

My response would be as follows:

Probably wouldn't be able to telemechanically possess a flying Firestorm, but that would depend on if the Firestorm is controlled like a powerarmor or why a powerarmor cannot be telemechanically possessed when it has a pilot...

Is it simply because there is a pilot? Is it because there is a neural connection between the pilot and the machine?

If it is the first, the Firestorm can't be tanked unless it is parked or is on autopilot. If it is the second, does the Firestorm have the same type of connection between the pilot and the machine as powerarmor?

And, if that didn't work, I would have to challenge the GM by asking whether the astral body fell into a coma as well, lol.

Maybe you could pull something like that off with telemechanic operation, but it would probably be harder to successfully manage a complete hijacking of a large machine like that with a single psychic...

But it is an interesting concept!!!

Perhaps an adventure where large vehicles are targeted for hijacking for either theft or destruction?

Where does it say they can not use it to take control of manned PA?

Where does it say PA is controled by Nero interface?
As I understand it PA is a direct movement control.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:don't need to go crazy on expenses. none of the powers work on machines without power sources, so just cycle the power off and on and you boot out the psychic. you might need a psi-stalker or dog boy on duty at all times to let you know when a power is being used on your vehicle, and then when you lose control you just disconnect the power supply for a few seconds.

Cycling the power off and on does not boot him out he just can't do anything with while the power is off. And if he took control of an aircraft supported by vertical thrust is turning it off a good idea?

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:

TelemechanicPossessionPower wrote:This ability is identical to the psionic power, Mentally Possess
Others, in every way, except that the psychic possesses a
machine rather than another person. The character overrides the
programming/controls of the machine, even in the case of sentient
machines, and controls it like a living robot. Essentially,
the possessing psychic is an immaterial pilot who controls the
machine as he desires; computers, factory equipment, vehicles,
robots, empty power armor, a toaster, etc.

It doesn't say you CAN'T possess a power armor suit that is being piloted...but is specificially says you CAN take over an empty power armor suit...

An rational person would assume that if ALL power armor suits could be taken over (whether empty or not), specifying that the suit is empty would be unnecessary...

But rationality is often dispensed with during the discussion of what is and what is not allowed in a game that is not always confined to rational boundaries.

All of my previous statements about how to possess a vehicle were predicated on the assumption that Power Armor would need to be empty...

If it does not need to be empty (but then, why does Palladium differentiate between empty and piloted?), then the mechanics of how an empty power armor can be possessed and how a piloted power armor cannot be possessed and whether or not those mechanics apply to a Firestorm are void...

In the end, you appear to like to argue just to argue...and that is fine...

I mean, I like to argue...I'm not sure I would get into the weeds about someone's anecdote about a game from almost 20 years ago is the way I would go (how old were you then? Me, well, I was able to drive, but I wasn't able to drink, let me put it that way)...

But if you want to get in the weeds and then talk about how rules that didn't exist until about 10 years ago should have applied to a game from 20 years ago, be my guest...it's perfectly fine for you to do that.

Not all of us see into the future the way that you do, and if you have those skills, by all means, use them. I play a Coalition Soldier when I game, but I am not one in real life, so I am not going to hunt you down for using magic. ;)

Now, let's assume that the power armor MUST be empty (I know! It doesn't SAY it has to be empty, it just says you can possess an empty one)...

If this is a "rule", and there is no neural interface, then simply having a pilot at the controls should prevent a vehicle that is similar enough to power armor from being possessed.
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

TelemechanicPossessionPower wrote:This ability is identical to the psionic power, Mentally Possess

It doesn't say you CAN'T possess a power armor suit that is being piloted...but is specificially says you CAN take over an empty power armor suit...

An rational person would assume that if ALL power armor suits could be taken over (whether empty or not), specifying that the suit is empty would be unnecessary...

But rationality is often dispensed with during the discussion of what is and what is not allowed in a game that is not always confined to rational boundaries.

All of my previous statements about how to possess a vehicle were predicated on the assumption that Power Armor would need to be empty...

If it does not need to be empty (but then, why does Palladium differentiate between empty and piloted?), then the mechanics of how an empty power armor can be possessed and how a piloted power armor cannot be possessed and whether or not those mechanics apply to a Firestorm are void...

I mean, I like to argue...I'm not sure I would get into the weeds about someone's anecdote about a game from almost 20 years ago is the way I would go (how old were you then? Me, well, I was able to drive, but I wasn't able to drink, let me put it that way)...

But if you want to get in the weeds and then talk about how rules that didn't exist until about 10 years ago should have applied to a game from 20 years ago, be my guest...it's perfectly fine for you to do that.

Not all of us see into the future the way that you do, and if you have those skills, by all means, use them. I play a Coalition Soldier when I game, but I am not one in real life, so I am not going to hunt you down for using magic. ;)

Now, let's assume that the power armor MUST be empty (I know! It doesn't SAY it has to be empty, it just says you can possess an empty one)...

If this is a "rule", and there is no neural interface, then simply having a pilot at the controls should prevent a vehicle that is similar enough to power armor from being possessed.

I do not aurge just to argue.
If-and I do mean If it could be an the motion copy controls have a intergrated safty to prevent muscle injury if the pa decided to fight the pilot. That would not apply to a firestrorm.

And not that there is any reason to tell you but 20 years ago i was serving in the army. they you asked about my age seams a personal attack because you thought I was younger than you.

I did not know when the story from because this started as a debate about risks of robots horses vs cyborg horses, how things where 20 years ago may not be relevent. I was using currant rules not old rules.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

eliakon wrote:
shadrak wrote:As far as kill switches...that makes sense, but where is it in canon? ;)

I am not aware of any canon listing of what controls are and are not inside a vehicle. If this is a common problem in that world though it is pretty likely that the simple solution will be common.

Beyond that? It is about as cannon as the question of if mecha are started by push buttons or have keys or if the controls are labled in english or pictograms or techno-can...
aka it doesn't matter and the challange is moot because the entire field isnt covered.

Well, not moot if it comes up in your game...

But you are right...if it is not in the canon, then it is up to the players and GM to determine (if it matters in their game) whether the controls are in english, verbal, pictograms...

"I have a robot pilot with the mental disorder of dyxlexia...does that affect my robot piloting?"

"No, you have gotten your robot-pilot interfaced fixed so it recognizes your biometrics and responds to verbal commands..."

Now, you have a rule for your group...

"Does this robot have a kill switch?"

"I don't know...but we can safely assume that firmware can be upgraded and a software kill switch could be integrated into the programming...

So, no, there wasn't when they were originally built, but you can get it on your model if you have an operator or CS Technician work on it...but you are going to have to use your mental affinity to convince the brass that you need a custom kill switch..."

"HEY! You convinced them! Now they want you to personally deliver all of the software upgrades to the outposts in Missouri!!! Your commander will be giving you access to a Mark V APC and you will be escorting a team of CS Technicians to..."

See...simply because something is not elaborated on in canon doesn't mean it is moot. As you say "if it is a common problem in the world"...the world outside of canon is the world that the players play in...

Sometimes that world will be like Mad Max...

Sometimes that world will be like Cyberpunk...

Sometimes that world is like Wild Wild West/steampunk...

Different worlds and different players will determine what is a common problem, I suppose.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

If-and I do mean If it could be an the motion copy controls have a intergrated safty to prevent muscle injury if the pa decided to fight the pilot. That would not apply to a firestrorm.

And not that there is any reason to tell you but 20 years ago i was serving in the army. they you asked about my age seams a personal attack because you thought I was younger than you.

I did not know when the story from because this started as a debate about risks of robots horses vs cyborg horses, how things where 20 years ago may not be relevent. I was using currant rules not old rules.

LOL...no, I didn't ask you your age...

I was pointing out that you are critiquing the activities of a group of players that was old enough to drive but not old enough to drink.

And, as you say, if the power uses motion controls that might not make it the same as a Firestorm...but what makes motion controls immune? There is a software interface between the sensors and the servos, so at some point the possessor should be able to control the mechanical device even if, at some point in the system, he does not have the proper access to a sensor...

If I can control a car with a steering wheel with my mind without physically interacting with it, then I should be able to control it at the steering column without physically interacting with it. If I can't use the steering column, then somewhere between the tie rods, gears, pinions, etc, I should be able to steer it.

PS: Sorry you felt attacked...not my intent...but I have repeatedly said that this was "long ago"...or "back in 2001", etc. (which may not have been accurate...it was sometime after Psyscape and Coalition Navy...and those might have come out before 2001, so I may have been closer to driving that drinking.)
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

LOL...no, I didn't ask you your age...

I was pointing out that you are critiquing the activities of a group of players that was old enough to drive but not old enough to drink.

And, as you say, if the power uses motion controls that might not make it the same as a Firestorm...but what makes motion controls immune? There is a software interface between the sensors and the servos, so at some point the possessor should be able to control the mechanical device even if, at some point in the system, he does not have the proper access to a sensor...

If I can control a car with a steering wheel with my mind without physically interacting with it, then I should be able to control it at the steering column without physically interacting with it. If I can't use the steering column, then somewhere between the tie rods, gears, pinions, etc, I should be able to steer it.

PS: Sorry you felt attacked...not my intent...but I have repeatedly said that this was "long ago"...or "back in 2001", etc. (which may not have been accurate...it was sometime after Psyscape and Coalition Navy...and those might have come out before 2001, so I may have been closer to driving that drinking.)

Honestly the example of the fire storm was just to show how exploitive using the power from astral projecting could be.

I think at this point there is nothing left to say about that topic.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

May I suggest that if people want to discuss psionic powers and how they work that they start a thread on that topic?

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

eliakon wrote:May I suggest that if people want to discuss psionic powers and how they work that they start a thread on that topic?

Probably a good idea...

Though I am not sure that anyone can beat that dead horse unless they transplant it into a cybernetic body...

Or recreate its personality and upload it into a robot.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Blue_Lion wrote:Honestly the example of the fire storm was just to show how exploitive using the power from astral projecting could be.

I don't know what the canon answer is on that, but I would agree to the point that I would not allow even an NPC, let alone a PC, to astral project and then do telemechanic possession...

The rules alone would make for weird issues with both a physical body AND (assuming you can leave an astral body) an astral body unattended...

I imagine that would be like trying to astral project to the physical realm then do it again to the astral realm-

Or maybe like astral projecting and then mentally possessing someone...
Blue_Lion
Knight

shadrak wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Honestly the example of the fire storm was just to show how exploitive using the power from astral projecting could be.

I don't know what the canon answer is on that, but I would agree to the point that I would not allow even an NPC, let alone a PC, to astral project and then do telemechanic possession...

The rules alone would make for weird issues with both a physical body AND (assuming you can leave an astral body) an astral body unattended...

I imagine that would be like trying to astral project to the physical realm then do it again to the astral realm-

Or maybe like astral projecting and then mentally possessing someone...

Perhaps that is why they have that line about senitive powers.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say the answer on psionics from the astral is easy.
Sensitive Powers are almost always allowed as per the word "generally"
Other powers may or may not be, again as per the word "generally".
Consult your individual GM for the specific rulings for your particular game.
Seriously that's it.
The sentence is qualified with a variable (generally) meaning that there is no one hard and fast specific way to interpret it because the sentence itself has an undefined qualifier in it. As such you are literally required to have an additional source of authority provide the needed definition...and as there is no published source the only extant one is the individual game master of each individual game. Meaning that the definition of what powers can be used from the Astral Plane are up to each GM and will vary from GM to GM and likely from game to game.

Blue_Lion
Knight

eliakon wrote:I would say the answer on psionics from the astral is easy.
Sensitive Powers are almost always allowed as per the word "generally"
Other powers may or may not be, again as per the word "generally".
Consult your individual GM for the specific rulings for your particular game.
Seriously that's it.
The sentence is qualified with a variable (generally) meaning that there is no one hard and fast specific way to interpret it because the sentence itself has an undefined qualifier in it. As such you are literally required to have an additional source of authority provide the needed definition...and as there is no published source the only extant one is the individual game master of each individual game. Meaning that the definition of what powers can be used from the Astral Plane are up to each GM and will vary from GM to GM and likely from game to game.

It says- They can generally only affect the physical world by sensitive powers. Can and only are the source of a limit. That basically means can usually (not taking in account specifics and acceptations) only...

So it is not per the word generally that makes sensitive always affect the physical plain but the can affect the physical world with.
Note: per the previous sentence any power that does not require touch can be used but when combined with this one most would only affect other astral bodies.

You can house rule it but the book is saying that can usually only affect the material plane with sensitive powers.

Generally means usually-so we know typically non-sensitive powers should not work. Examples of these exemptions from earlier books have been brought up, that means we know they have told use cases that powers other sensitive being used by astral bodies to affect the physical plane. So it would seam to be logical from the game as a whole they will tell us when a non-sensitive power works by default canon.

The word generally seams to allow for pre-existing exemptions to still be valid. That is a level of thoughtfulness not normally seen in PB rule changes.

The word generally does not completely negate or even typically negate limiters attached to it, it just acknowledges existence of possible exceptions. But for the most part only sensitive powers should work and non-sensitive powers working are an acceptation not the rule.

Return to “Rifts®”