A Pulp/Noir setting for HU

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LWhitehead
D-Bee

A Pulp/Noir setting for HU

Unread post by LWhitehead »

Hi I need help with my Pulp/Noir setting for HU, you know masked mystery men and women fighting evil and villians. So can anyone here help me out?,

LW
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Re: A Pulp/Noir setting for HU

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

LWhitehead wrote:Hi I need help with my Pulp/Noir setting for HU, you know masked mystery men and women fighting evil and villians. So can anyone here help me out?,

LW
Rifter #1 has some stuff on that subject. Aside from that, you'll need to ask more specific questions.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

The categories that should predominate ANY pulp gernre are the Special Training classes (including the Super Sleuth :D ), along with Magic Object characters and the occasional Hardware, Latent Psi, Ancient Weapons Master, Mystic Study (probably with less PPE) and Natural Genius characters.

All of the other classes should be relatively rare and given the "minor hero" treatment. Aliens, Robots and Mutants are most often the "bad guys" and, while they can be powerful, are usually slow and stupid/easily tricked. The goons/henchmen fold like a cleenex with a good punch to the jaw or karate chop to the back of the neck. Oh...and the tech at the time makes extensive use of transistors.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

http://justiceunlimited.tripod.com/

I feel marco does the genre the best justice
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Cardiac wrote:The categories that should predominate ANY pulp gernre are the Special Training classes (including the Super Sleuth :D ), along with Magic Object characters and the occasional Hardware, Latent Psi, Ancient Weapons Master, Mystic Study (probably with less PPE) and Natural Genius characters.

All of the other classes should be relatively rare and given the "minor hero" treatment. Aliens, Robots and Mutants are most often the "bad guys" and, while they can be powerful, are usually slow and stupid/easily tricked. The goons/henchmen fold like a cleenex with a good punch to the jaw or karate chop to the back of the neck. Oh...and the tech at the time makes extensive use of transistors.

I would add to that the "imbued hero" category. Many of the pulp era heroes got their powers by taking a swig of SOLUTION X.

and people say it was a more inocent time....
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I do not think the main villain needs to always be a Doctor!

Maybe one of the Lieutenants of the Main Villain but not always the main one.

I think you can use Mob Boss or foreign Spies from time to time too.

Here is 3 villains I come up with:Mr Mask a Spy and Master of Disquise.

Ruso the Razor Roséti,Boss of the Razor Gang.

Dr Bane,tring to fine Atlantis.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

for Pulp Hero Settings... The Asia-american indians were a great source, So were the undead...
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Vanguard, is that you?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: A Pulp/Noir setting for HU

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:Rifter #1 has some stuff on that subject. Aside from that, you'll need to ask more specific questions.

That would be Rifter #5.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Puroresu
Wanderer

Need a Femme Fatale too.

Unread post by Puroresu »

One thing's for sure: you gotta have a femme fatale or sexy dame. You know, the girl that has the dark secret and usually falls for the detective.

Puroresu (Brian)
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Got Mephisto's Femme Fatale right here;
http://justiceunlimited.tripod.com/femmefatale.htm
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I love the Murder Mystery,s movies of the 20s and 30,s.

I use the Super sleuth for Player character.

One of the thing I like about seting a game in that time is the Heroes and villains a big number of Powers.

They just need one or two.

I always put a Mystery on who is the villain.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”