The Super Sleuth v2.0

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cardiac
Adventurer

The Super Sleuth v2.0

Unread post by Cardiac »

The SUPER SLEUTH (Revised)
A.K.A.: Master Detective/Investigator

Step One: The Usual
Attribute Bonuses: +2 IQ, +1D6 ME +1D4 MA
Other Bonuses: +4 to Perception Rolls (optional)
Hit Points: PE +1D6 per level.
Base SDC: 40

Step Two: Education/Skills
Automatic Skills:
Language-Native 98%
Pilot Automobile (+10%)
Math-Basic (+25%)

Common/General Skills:
Computer Operation (+30%)
Pilot - One of choice (any; +20%)
Language - One of choice (+15%)
Radio-Basic (+20%)
Research
WP Pistol or Revolver
Hand to Hand - Basic (can be upgraded to Expert at the cost of one other skill, or Martial Arts/Assassin at the cost of two other skills)

Detective/Investigative Skills:
Criminal Science (+20%; doesn't include Forensic Medicine, unless the character takes the appropriate prerequisite science skills)
Law - General (+20%)
Intelligence (+20%)
Interrogation (+15%)
Surveillance Systems (+20%)
TV/Video (+15%)
Photography (+20%)

Rogue Skills:
Cryptography (+15%)
Find Contraband (+20%)
Streetwise (+20%)
And two Rogue or Espionage skills of choice (both +15%)

Choose one Scholastic School Program
All skills get +15%.

Secondary Skills:
Select 2D4+4 secondary skills

Special Skills
1. See Through Disguise and Forgery: Unchanged.

2. Select any two of the following abilities:

A) Computer Programming and Hacking: Same as presented in HU2nd ed but also includes the Computer Programming skill (+30% - is a prereq for hacking).

B) Criminal Mind: The character has an uncanny ability to sniff out crime and lawbreakers; same as the Criminal Intuition minor power presented in PU1, but is due to training.

C) Photographic Memory: The character has a photographic memory - able to remember the smallest details; same as the Heightened Sense of Recall minor power presented in PU1, but is due to training/natural ability.

D) Unfazeable: It is impossible to surprise or startle the super-sleuth. While he still has emotions, he just doesn’t allow extreme outward displays. Same as the Impervious to Fear & Terror minor power presented in PU1, but is due to training/natural ability. Also gets a bonus of +5 to resist attempts to determine or alter his emotional state in any way (includes lie detectors).

E) Disciplined Mind: The Super-Sleuth has trained himself to have an extremely ordered mind – resistant to intrusion and domination; same as the Iron Will minor power presented in PU1, but is due to training/natural ability.

Step Three: Equipment
Unchanged

Other Stuff
Unchanged except for the “Other Options”:

Other Options #1: The character can forego the choice of a scholastic skill program to select one additional special ability.

Other optons #2: Depending on the campaign, the following special abilities may also be suitable for the Super-Sleuth (with GM approval);

F) Double the budget to spend on hardware items and special equipment.

G) Select 4 minor cybernetic implants. Nothing major or obvious like a prosthetic limb, limited to concealed implants and cyber-eyes and ears. Implants typically sensors/optics and data gathering rather than combat implants, but may also include cyber-disguises from Rifts-Bionics or Ninjas & Superspies.

H) Minor Psionics (counts as two/both selections): The character has a few useful minor psionic powers. Considered a minor latent psychic (12 or higher to save). ISP: ME attribute + 1D4x10. Gains 1D6 ISP per level. Four powers are selected from the following; Astral Projection, Clairvoyance, Detect Psionics, Empathy, Machine Ghost, Mask ISP & Psionics, Mind Block, Object Read, Presence Sense, Read Dimensional Portal, See Aura, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Sense Magic, Speed Reading, Sixth Sense.

I) Paranormal Investigations: Same as the Mystic Study/Wizard class Special ability 6 - Magical Lore & Knowledge). Basically another skill program – but the character cannot cast or translate spells. However, with research, he may be able to use magical devices/artefacts.

J) Ghost Eyes: same as the Super-Vision: Paranormal Sight minor power presented in PU1, but is due to some natural ability.

K) Xeno-Investigations: Skill program includes; Read Sensory Instruments, Anthropology-Alien, Lore-Alien, NBC Warfare, Astronomy, Language (typically one of the trade languages or a widespread galactic language).

Thoughts? Opinions?
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Unread post by Guest »

I likey.

I likey a lot.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

its better then the original
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

absolutely beautiful. :D
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Here's a campaign idea I came up with after I revised the Super-Sleuth. Maybe this is an organization in your game world - or maybe your PCs belong to a similar one. NPC stats will follow shortly.

INVESTIGATIONS UNLIMITED
Agency Size/Orientation: Small Private Investigations Agency
Agency Features:
A) Outfits: Open Wardrobe (5 pts)
B) Equipment: Cheap Gear and Electronic Supplies (7 pts)
C) Weapons: Ammunition (2 pts)
D) Bionics/Robotics: None
E) Vehicles: Public Transportation (3 pts)
F) Communications: Basic (2 pts)
G) Offices/Hideouts/Distribution: Urban (5pts)
H) Military Power: None
I) Super-Powered Operatives: Freelance (10 pts)
J) Sponsorship: Agent Sponsored (0 pts - business run by the NPCs)
K) Special Budget: Nickels and Dimes (5 pts)
L) Administrative Control: Loose Laws (5 pts - as long as they can get away with the minor offences)
M) Internal Security: None (only employees are the NPCs below)
N) External Infiltration: Rare Minor Traitor (5 pts - whether its a gang stoolie or a talkative Imp from hell)
O) Research/Info Gathering: Good Connections (10 pts)
P) Agency Credentials: Faceless (5 pts)
Q) Agency Salary: Good (20 pts)
Total Points: 84

Investigations Unlimited has become a valuable resource for some heroes, especially those who run the streets and like to keep their ears to the ground. While this also brings a bit of noteriety among the lower levels of the criminal underworld, nobody at that level is brave enough (or usually powerful enough) to try and take on the Agency directly (they aren't enough of a nucence for the "big boys" to take notice - yet).
Last edited by Cardiac on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Barney Wellman

Aliases: Can't remember them all - comes up with them on the fly if he needs them.
Group Affiliation: Investigations Unlimited
Occupation: Owner/Operator of the PI agency Investigations Unlimited.

Alignment: Unprincipled
Power Category: Super-Sleuth
Experience Level: 10th
Hit Points: 61 S.D.C.: 54
P.P.E.: 27
Attributes: IQ 18, ME 19, MA 21, PS 12, PP 10, PE 12, PB 11, Spd 14

Natural Abilites: Has an instinctive sense of the criminal mind, and an eye for picking criminals out of the crowd and recognizing & reconstructing crime scenes. Has a remarkable memory - can recall most things he has experienced with perfect or near-perfect detail.

Combat Training: Hand to Hand: Expert
Attacks: 7
Combat Bonuses: +2 Initiative, +2 Strike, +5 Automatic Parry, +5 Dodge, +3 Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact, +4 Pull Punch, +3 Damage, +2 Disarm.

Saving Throws: +6 to perception rolls, +2 vs Psionics/Possession/HF/Insanity, 65% Trust/Intimidate.

Other Combat Info: Called knockout/stun - 20. Holds (all). Critical Strike - 18-20. Entangle. Paired Weapons.

Hand to Hand Damage: Punch - 1D4+3. Power Punch (2A) - 2D4+3. Body Block/Tackle - 1D4+3. Kick - 2D4+3. Body Throw/Flip - 1D6+3+knockdown, Snap Kick - 1D6+3, Knee - 1D6+3.

Education Level and Skills: Special Training – Super Sleuth
Special – See Through Disguise and Forgery: 84/92%
Special - Criminal Mind (see Natural Abilities above)
Special - Photographic Memory(see Natural Abilities above)

Common/General Skills: Computer Operation, Pilot - Truck, Language - Itallian, Radio-Basic, Research, WP Pistol, Hand to Hand - Expert
Detective/Investigative Skills: Criminal Science & Forensics, Law - General, Intelligence, Interrogation, Surveillance Systems, TV/Video, Photography.
Rogue Program: Cryptography, Find Contraband, Streetwise, Safecracking, Detect Ambush.
Science Program: Advanced Math, Chemistry, Chemistry-Analytical, Biology, Anthropology, Read Sensory Instruments.

Secondary Skills: Fishing, Detect Concealment, Impersonation, Pick Pockets, Locksmith, Auto Mechanics, First Aid, Boxing, Prowl, Swimming, Concealment, Palming, Business & Finance, General Repair/Maintenance, Carpentry, Land Navigation, WP Rifle/Shotgun.

Money: Makes enough to scrape by and to keep his business afloat.

Weapons:
Carries a .45 Pistol as a sidearm, but prefers to avoid situations that would require him to use it. If he really means business he uses a double-barrel sawed-off shotgun.

Equipment:
Besides his trusty dusty (and stereotypical) trenchcoat and fedora, he has access to most types of modern surveillance devices (including mini cameras, microphones and tracer bugs). Usually carries a variety of lock picks, key molds, a small flashlight, handcuffs, memory stick or blank computer disk or two, mace spray and a Tazer/Stun Gun. If he knows he might get into trouble on an assignment, he'll wear a kevlar vest under his trenchcoat (AR 12 SDC 120).

Vehicles:
His personal car is an older-model american car (nondescript and blends in well, has bulletproof windows, CB radio, hands-free Cell phone system and police band scanner). Also has access to an unmarked utility van (perfect for setting up equipent inside for surveillance). If he needs something else, he can usually rent what he needs.

History:Barney Wellman was once one of the finest detectives in the city, until he started poking his nose where it didn't belong. The local mob boss (assisted by a ring of corrupt cops) had him framed for a number of crimes. He lost his job on the force and spent a year in jail. When he got out, he decided to start his own provate investigation business, which would allow him to make a living using the talents he possessed. He also had a desire to take down the mob as well, but realizing their level of influence in the city, he had to take it slow and be patient. Over the years, he's had several victories and setbacks - both great and small. He likes to think that he has done his part to stop the spread of organized crime in the city, either by confronting them directly, or by helping out the police or "those spandex-lovin heroes" with information gleaned from his inormants and personal investigations.

Meanwhile, as the number of "not-so-normal" cases (or "3-dollar bill cases" as he calls them) started to grow (and realizing he's "starting to get too old for this $^%&"), he decided to expand his operation by hiring "some new blood" - talented young sleuths with a diverse array of skill and abilities. He renamed his business "Investigations Unlimited" and proudly boasts that "there isn't a case we can't handle." Even though he doesn't understand a lot of the "mystic mumbo-jumbo" involved in some cases, he appreciates that they bring in the bucks.

Disposition/Personality: Almost your stereotypical gumshoe - fedora and trenchcoat and all. Years of wading knee-deep through the underbelly of society has left him with a bit of a gruff exterior, and enjoys lecturing his underlings on how things "should be done" or how they were done "in the old days". He hasn't survived this long by taking stupid chances; he knows when to make noise, when to shut up, and when to cut and run, but he would never abandon a friend or someone that genuinely needs or deserves his help. Big proponent of doing "legwork" - getting on the streets and regularly checking contacts for hints of big things on the horizon.
Last edited by Cardiac on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

A big improvement over the HU2 version of the class. Yours add lots of variety without changing the focus of the class.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

This is how the Super-Sleuth and Other Special training Power Category must be in U.H.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I think your version of the Sleuth looks pretty good.
You might want to also consider looking at the Private Investigator from N&SS, and comparing the two.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Looks good, but you might want to move F through K to before Equipment and Other Stuff.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: The Super Sleuth v2.0

Unread post by Glistam »

Cartman wrote:
Cardiac wrote:2. Select any two of the following abilities:

To pass muster with my group :lol: , it would have to be:

2. Select any two of the following abilities at 1st level and select one at 4th, 8th, 12th and 15th.

The problem with that is that it gives the Super Sleuth 6 eventually, and without the "GM's Options" ones there are only 5 choices. I think it looks very good and doesn't need to add new abilities every few levels.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Overlord Rikonius 360 wrote:Looks good, but you might want to move F through K to before Equipment and Other Stuff.

NM, I just saw the other options text.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

not bad, but basically you turned him into a 5 minor power mutant with better bonuses and training.

So...I have to vote no, on grounds of muchkinisem.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sentinel
Palladin

Kinda like a specialized Natural Genius from PUII.

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

First of all, i can't believe i missed this, this is pretty cool...

Second:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:not bad, but basically you turned him into a 5 minor power mutant with better bonuses and training.

uhm, the max you could have is 3 minor or 2 minor, 4 minor psi... And if your "5 (or 4 for that matter) minor power mutant" has powers this weak, you NEED better bonuses and training.
Sentinel
Palladin

acreRake wrote:First of all, i can't believe i missed this, this is pretty cool...

Second:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:not bad, but basically you turned him into a 5 minor power mutant with better bonuses and training.

uhm, the max you could have is 3 minor or 2 minor, 4 minor psi... And if your "5 (or 4 for that matter) minor power mutant" has powers this weak, you NEED better bonuses and training.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a mutant with five minors who selected low-level powers like enhanced senses.

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Any three of these: Criminal Intuition, Heightened of Recall, Impervious to Fear, Iron Will, or Paranormal Sight

or one of those plus four Sensitive Psionics (counts as two selections remember)

Except for the budget, it's hardly more/as powerful than many (most?) other possible characters in HU. Hardly Munchkin. Which is my point.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Any one have made a Super-Sleuth Player Character & NPC?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

acreRake wrote:First of all, i can't believe i missed this, this is pretty cool...

Second:

Page 161 HU2, roll of 56-65 on the power under catagory and number of super abilities: 5 minor super abilities only (no major powers)

and I call false. I can make a very fun superhero with only those powers and any educational level.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

This is a great revamp.

I hope someone will revamp the other Special training types?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”