Eagle Peak

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Eagle Peak

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I am trying to gather as much information as I can about the siege of Eagle Peak. It is mentioned in Vampire Kingdoms, p100 and 111 to 114. Basically, I have found out the following:

1 - 1300 humanoid warriors v. 600 vampires
2 - 459 vampires slain; 110 credited to Vyurr Kly alone
3 - Vyurr Kly, Meetal and one other person survived
4 - the siege lasted three nights

If anyone knows where I can get additional information, I would appreciate it greatly. Specifically, I would like to know who the third survivor is and where Eagle Peak is located. Thanks.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Eagle Peak

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Ted Smythe wrote:If anyone knows where I can get additional information, I would appreciate it greatly. Specifically, I would like to know who the third survivor is and where Eagle Peak is located. Thanks.

There is none.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

No info at all. Hell, just make it up yourself.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I was the third survivor on Eagle Peak.
I don't like to talk about it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Killer Cyborg wrote:I was the third survivor on Eagle Peak.

Really? Could we arrange an interview? :lol:

Thanks. I figured there wasn't any more information, but I wanted to be sure. I have this idea for a campaign I am starting up. The characters are going to meet Vyurr Kyl before he joins Reids Rangers. Shortly thereafter, they get caught up in the siege. The rest is history.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Ted Smythe wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I was the third survivor on Eagle Peak.

Really? Could we arrange an interview? :lol:

There's a reason KC's armor is painted yellow on the front, and brown on the back...

:P
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that really paint though?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Eagle Peak

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Ted Smythe wrote:I am trying to gather as much information as I can about the siege of Eagle Peak. It is mentioned in Vampire Kingdoms, p100 and 111 to 114. Basically, I have found out the following:

1 - 1300 humanoid warriors v. 600 vampires
2 - 459 vampires slain; 110 credited to Vyurr Kly alone
3 - Vyurr Kly, Meetal and one other person survived
4 - the siege lasted three nights

If anyone knows where I can get additional information, I would appreciate it greatly. Specifically, I would like to know who the third survivor is and where Eagle Peak is located. Thanks.

From the incomplete, never published "Rifts: The Historic Campaigns" by Braden Campbell...

NOTES: that battle of Eagle peak, as it has become known was actually the battle of Eagle Pass. In 89 PA, the off-world magical artifact known as "the Helm of Kasr" made a reappearance after being lost in the Mexican hinterlands. The Helm, originally from the Palladium World, was previously worn by the CyberKnight Tyrone Civieth, a close friend of Erin Tarn's (see Traversing our Modern World, pg. 139). Tyrone lead an expeditionary force into Mexico in 78 PA, taking with him his most powerful magic possessions. The Helm of Kasr was said to instill it's wearer, and any who followed him, with no fear. Tyrone crossed the Rio Grande at Eagle Pass, Texas, and was assumed to have been killed.

In 89 PA a force of some 600 vampires began to surge northward towards Eagle Pass, one of only three bridges crossing the Rio Grande. The horde was lead by the now vampiric Tyrone Civeth...

Meantime, then-legendary bandit Boo Dunkwoody and his gang had robbed Wyatt Halloway, making off with a large number and diamonds as well as silver. Furious, Halloway then called in the services of Edmund Kynes, a lawman who had been trying to apprehend Dunkwoody for nearly ten years previous. Kynes, whose reputation was fearsome in the West, nearly cornered Dunkwoody in the Colorado Baronies during an Ironhorse robbery, but was grievously shot. Doctors in the Baronies decided the only way to save Kynes' life was to implant him with a Juicer bio-comp and drug harness, letting its fantastic healing powers repair the gaping hole in his chest. It was a prolonged death sentence, and Kynes knew it. But he swore that before he burned out, he would kill every last member of Dunkwoody's gang.

Dunkwoody now decided that there was simply too much heat on him and decided to escape into Old Mexico. Fleeing El Paso through the Pecos Badlands, he and his gang (whose members included "Fast Charlie" Calhoun [gunslinger], Vyurr Kly [young Psi Stalker], and the temporal wizard Yassa Martext) crossed the river in Eagle Peak, hoping that not even Edmund Kynes would follow them.

Dunkwoody's stay in Mexico did not last long, for he found he was riding headlong into the vampiric hordes of Tyrone Civeth. He turned and ran back for Eagle Pass, but was now caught, as Dunkwoody and his posse had occupied the town. The marshal would have shot Dunkwoody down in the street, and hung Fast Charlie and the rest, save for one serious problem....he needed bodies to defend the town and destroy the bridge. Together with a group of stalwart citizens, the two groups formed an uneasy alliance, each planning to kill the other at the first available moment.

Tyrone still wore the Helm of Kasr, and as such, neither he nor any of the vampires behind him were afraid of running water, crossing bridges, or the sight of the cross (these thing still did damage, but did not make the vamps roll vs Horror Factor). :eek:

What followed was a three night seige of the town that straddled the river. The Mexican side of Eagle Pass (Peidra Negras) was burnt to the ground during the first night by vampires armed with flamethrowers and crude explosives. During the morning of the second day, it was decided that the bridge, a massive, 4-lane, Pre-Rifts structure) had to be destroyed. The idea was to rig the tressel with explosives, wait until the bulk of the vampire army was on it, then blow it up, sending the vamps into the destrucive waters below. But the dynamite that the locals could muster was not enough to collaspe the bridge, just put some big holes in it. Though several hundred vamps were killed as they fell through, the third night saw the Texas side of the town under full attack.

By dawn, there was little left standing (which is why the town is no longer there in 100-whatever PA), both Dunkwoody and Kynes were dead, and the only surviving members of either groups were Fast Charlie, Kly, and another young Psi Stalker who had been living in the town, Meetal.

The three later helped form Ried's Rangers, but Calhoun could not settle in Mexico, haunted as he was for the rest of his life by the events of those three nights. He continued to roam Lone Star and the New West until his death in 109 pa. he was buried in Tampico.

There have fun. and BTW... http://www.cityofeaglepass.com/
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Thanks for the information, Braden. I like your information; it has been helpful.

Basically, my idea was for my characters to meet Vyurr Kly prior to the battle. They join the 1,300 warriors, but are selected before the third day to day to go for reinforcements. Technically, they would also be survivors, but history won't be changed because they probably wouldn't get back to Eagle Pass until several days later.

I assume this came from your own campaign. If so, I think it would be fun to have my group meet Dunkwoody, Kynes and Calhoun. Do you have character sheets and maps that you can send me?

Thanks again.

My next question: how far is Rifts Ciudad Juarez from Eagle Pass?
Braden Campbell

Ted Smythe wrote:
I assume this came from your own campaign. If so, I think it would be fun to have my group meet Dunkwoody, Kynes and Calhoun. Do you have character sheets and maps that you can send me?

Actually, mapped out the adventure, but never got to play it. This is just typical of the kind of story that I used to GM; full of enemies having to become allies, characters with complex backgrounds and motivations...

My plan was to have the PC's as the bad guys; Dunkwoody's gang. Or, if you regularly play with a large group, split it in half, and have some of the players be the posse riding to catch the others. Don't worry about in-party conflicts, as they will all end up working together in the end. I like stories like these that force characters to come together for a reason, rather than just meet in a bar.

Dunkwoody should be a Gunfighter or Highwayman of high level - 7 and up. Charles "Fast Charlie" Calhoun is a mid-level gunslinger (4 or 5 level) with almost supernatural PE and PP, and Kly should be about half the strength he is now.

Kynes will be fun to draft. Draw him up as a 8th level Lawman or Justice Ranger. Then give him standard Juicer conversion and watch things die!

Noteable members of the town of Eagle Pass include: a family of goblins who make moonshine, some miners, Meetal, one of several Psi-Stalkers who live in the town, Madame Jacinta, who runs the local brothel but who is VERY motherly and protective of the girls, and a local Scholar with no legs who can tell them about the Crusade of Tyrone Civieth if need be.

The most important thing is that, somehow, by the battles end, the Helm of Kasr is nowhere to be found, even if Tyrone is dead. (It shows up in my adventures later in Tampico. ;) )

If you need anything else, just ask. Otherwise let me know how it goes!
Braden, GMPhD

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

I am assuming Gunslingers and Highwaymen come from New West and I don't have that one, but I will make do.

Thanks again. I will definitely let you know what happens. In fact, I have the transcripts for the first few chapters ready. If you are interested, let me know and I will send them your way.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Eagle Pass

Since I know someone has read it through by now, I am wondering if there is any new or additional information about the Battle of Eagle Pass/Peak in the Rifts Ultimate Edition. If any one sees anything, will they please post the page number. Thank you.
Braden Campbell

Thread necromancy!!!! :eek:

Ted, how's the camapagn going?
Braden, GMPhD

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

It's been going well. I have been playing by email with one other person. So far, he has determined that Civieth is behind the attacks on two neighboring villages in Northern Mexico. He has met Sheriff Kynes, captured Boo and is hoping to evade Boo's buddies long enough to turn him over.

Next time he sees the Sheriff, however, I plan to have Kynes inform him of the destruction of his village by Civieth, giving him the final motivation to go to Eagle Pass. At that point, I will also have Boo and Kynes make their little pact.

Thanks for your ideas. They have been a lot of fun to play out. Since it is an email-based campaign, I have about thirty pages of narrative that I plan to rework into short story form when we are done, too. If you like to read it sometime, let me know.

Return to “Rifts®”