Questions for Carmen Bellaire

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Questions for Carmen Bellaire

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Since Carmen occasionally posts on here (emphasize occasionally), here's an opportunity to post questions about the Powers Unlimited books.

Please be aware of the following:
  • Carmen is a busy man and may not have the opportunity to answer your questions in a timely fashion, so please be patient.
  • Carmen was kind enough to answer a number of questions already, which can be found at this link, towards the bottom: Heroes Unlimited FAQ
  • Restrict your questions to Carmen's current and future Heroes Unlimited contributions. He already has a topic for Splicers questions on the appropriate forum.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Hey Carmen is there any word on the previously mentioned Powers Unlimited 3?
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Sentinel
Palladin

New Question for Carmen

Unread post by Sentinel »

Here's a question: What effect does Disintegration have on Invulnerable characters? The text description leads me to believe that there is some damage even for Invulnerables, but I wasn't certain how much.
What about Vampires? And, other Supernatural creatures who may otherwise be impervious to harm (except of course, for their specific weaknesses)?
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sentinel
Palladin

Question about APS Shadow

Under the Shadow Bolt aspect of APS Shadow, the character uses up all his attacks in the use of Shadow Bolt. This seems unfair, for as the character progresses in level, he loses nore attacks/actions to the use of this ability. A Level One character might only have four attacks: at Level Seven, he has gotten faster, and has more attacks, but he is still using "all" of his actions to fire the same Shadow Blast.
Perhaps this could be re-worded to " Takes Three Actions", as this would allow characters with HtH Assassin to fire a Shadow Bolt, without unfairly penalising characters who have more actions per melee round.

znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

so...... carmen..... any new info on pu3 yet? :D
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!

Unread post by Guest »

Am I the only one who noticed that the Empowered: Demigod Transformation lists One Major and Two Minor powers twice?

I'm pretty sure this wasn't intentional, but didn't want to make a new topic.
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

Ya, the second one was intended to be "One major and three minor"
Sorry Carmen. :D
Sentinel
Palladin

Re: Question about APS Shadow

gadrin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Under the Shadow Bolt aspect of APS Shadow, the character uses up all his attacks in the use of Shadow Bolt. This seems unfair, for as the character progresses in level, he loses nore attacks/actions to the use of this ability. A Level One character might only have four attacks: at Level Seven, he has gotten faster, and has more attacks, but he is still using "all" of his actions to fire the same Shadow Blast.
Perhaps this could be re-worded to " Takes Three Actions", as this would allow characters with HtH Assassin to fire a Shadow Bolt, without unfairly penalising characters who have more actions per melee round.

yes, when you compare it to APS:Fire, which has the 3 action/7 sec limit.

I just think of it as a "power tap" -- ever seen Crusade (ala Babylon 5) ? when the Excalibur fires it's main weapon, it has to wait almost a minute while the power rebuilds ?

I still like this power though.

I like the power generally: My beef is largely (at this point) with the whole "Uses all attacks the round", which is unfair to the characters who accumulate more actions as they progress.
Included in this group is Tamashiwara, from N&SS, which in the Rifts CB1 provides a power punch that does 1D4 X10, but uses all attacks.
That's fine for a level one character, but by the time you hit level ten, you ought to be able to do more.

I liked Babylon 5, although I was not as big a fan of Crusade.
I never liked the Power Tap, or as others have described it, the "charge-up attack".

Jimmy Crat
Explorer

Unread post by Jimmy Crat »

Why does Energy Expulsion: Plasma take 3 attacks to use? The damage is not much more than any other EE power, and the range is MUCH more limited. Plasma always seemed incredibly destructive to me. I can understand the limited range and the slow attack, but not for the low damage. Is there any kind of reasoning behind this I'm missing?
Almost doesn't count; except in horseshoes, tiddly-winks, and hand grenades.

10 Ha-Ha points - thx cornholioprime
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

The reason is editing, it was once much more powerful and the three attacks was to tone it down but Kev reduced the damage and missed the number of attacks. It should be corrected in the PU notes for PU3 - it should be the same as the other EE powers. Carmen. :)
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i have a question regarding the empowered robotics option:

if the character has the ability to release his mind into the robot, do you have to buy an a.i. for it? :?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Puroresu
Wanderer

About Powers Unlimited Three.

Unread post by Puroresu »

Carmen,

Well, I have to say, I love both Powers Unlimited One and Two. Can you reveal anything about what to expect to see in Powers Unlimited Three? Any idea as to when it will be out for purchasing? Thanks!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

znbrtn wrote:i have a question regarding the empowered robotics option:

if the character has the ability to release his mind into the robot, do you have to buy an a.i. for it? :?
Not an A.I perse, but you would/should have to pay for the Transferred Intelligence Unit
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

My bad. Need my eyes checked.
Last edited by Marcantony on Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Carmen,

I know you did the Powers unlimited books but i have a question for ya that might tie in with all the powers.

Do you get a P.P. Bonus on super powers?

these are part of my topic but i'd figure i'd ask you since you were in the writing. Heres where im confused;

Energy Expulsion: Cold in the part down in the note of the split strike... "Note: Two blasts at two different targets are done without benefit of any P.P. or strike bonus of any kind; natural, unmodified die roll only...."

even under EE:Energy it mentions something close but doesnt say anything about the P.P bonus... so for things that we use our limbs and body to project powers from us we get P.P bonus? or only if its a HtH weapon power?

i hope you can give me an answer to this. well ill be around.

~Shadowfyr
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shadowfyr wrote:Carmen,

I know you did the Powers unlimited books but i have a question for ya that might tie in with all the powers.

these are part of my topic but i'd figure i'd ask you since you were in the writing. Heres where im confused;

Energy Expulsion: Cold in the part down in the note of the split strike... "Note: Two blasts at two different targets are done without benefit of any P.P. or strike bonus of any kind; natural, unmodified die roll only...."

even under EE:Energy it mentions something close but doesnt say anything about the P.P bonus... so for things that we use our limbs and body to project powers from us we get P.P bonus? or only if its a HtH weapon power?

~Shadowfyr

it apparently isn't in HU 2nd Ed, but HU Revised did specify PP bonuses apply to EE powers.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

nice work Carmen.
Last edited by ZEN on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Wow....http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/search.php?search_author=Carmen

Carmen hasn't posted on this boards since July. What did you all do to him?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

weijian wrote:It would figure... I have a perfectly reasonable question ( hell, Whiz Kid even said so ) and Carmen is utterly nowhere to be found.

Oh what a world....
Whats the question? Maybe I can answer it.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: PU1 Question- Mega Wings

Unread post by acreRake »

The Deific NMI wrote:Whats the question? Maybe I can answer it.
weijian wrote:Under Mega-Wings there is the special option to sacrifice 100 pts of SDC and then 50 from each wing as well as reduce the wing's regen rate in order to have the wings appear/disappear at will.

My question is are you really supposed to drop 100 SDC from just the person? The power itself only gives +60 SDC to the person while the wings have 330 SDC each. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the 100 come from each wing and the 50 come from the person? Part of me just thinks it is odd to have a power eat that much SDC from the actual character vs simply reducing it's own effectiveness for the option.

Also, does the SDC bonus only exist in flight? Just clarifying since the bonus is listed under Bonuses In Flight.

Thank you.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

there's also the odd wording on bonuses on all the heightened Senses powers..

in particular Circular vision grants a +2 to dodge, and an autododge.. did they mean to say it added +2 to automatic Dodge?

ME Crystal does not say what augmented strength it provides. I assume it's ExtraOrdinary.

I'd like if PU 3 finally included Punch / damage Tables for EX. superhuman and SN PS that include the full range of combat moves most commonly avialable..

and New Martial arts powers with combining with NJSS.
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

Well, I hope Carmen is still checking in at least.

One question: What happened to the to Strike bonuses for the Energy Expulsion powers? the ones form the main book have +3, but none from the Powers books have any bonuses. Were these just left out?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Here's a question. Is there any progression for a character who has both super powers and magic spells?

I rolled up an Immortal and got the powers plus spells option. Now, is that all I can ever get, or can the character(through study/teaching) learn more spells?

I assume since the character knows magic in the first place, learning new spells shouldn't be a problem. But then again, I could be wrong.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:there's also the odd wording on bonuses on all the heightened Senses powers..

in particular Circular vision grants a +2 to dodge, and an autododge.. did they mean to say it added +2 to automatic Dodge?

ME Crystal does not say what augmented strength it provides. I assume it's ExtraOrdinary.

I'd like if PU 3 finally included Punch / damage Tables for EX. superhuman and SN PS that include the full range of combat moves most commonly avialable..

I believe that none of the Matter Expulsion powers list any type of augmented strength (bonuses not with standing). I took this to mean that your strength was increased, but it was considered normal for lifting. Does anyone know for sure? :?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Shadowfyr wrote:Carmen,

~Shadowfyr

it apparently isn't in HU 2nd Ed, but HU Revised did specify PP bonuses apply to EE powers.

One might assume then that it would be all right to do it that way.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

JTwig wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:there's also the odd wording on bonuses on all the heightened Senses powers..

I believe that none of the Matter Expulsion powers list any type of augmented strength (bonuses not with standing). I took this to mean that your strength was increased, but it was considered normal for lifting. Does anyone know for sure? :?

I don't see anything in the various Matter Expulsions that say your strength is increased. I could've missed something though. I think any reference to augmenting strength comes from the stat bonus the ones from PU1 provide.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

MrTwist wrote:
JTwig wrote:

I don't see anything in the various Matter Expulsions that say your strength is increased. I could've missed something though. I think any reference to augmenting strength comes from the stat bonus the ones from PU1 provide.

ME Metal increases your strength because they liken it to having on power armor which allows you to lift things your frail flesh body would get crushed under. There is no across the board bonus for ME powers, though.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
JTwig wrote:

ME Metal increases your strength because they liken it to having on power armor which allows you to lift things your frail flesh body would get crushed under. There is no across the board bonus for ME powers, though.

Right, but in the case of actual strength category none of the ME powers actually change the category. Unless my copy is missing something, even ME: Metal doesn't actually change PS beyond just a numerical bonus. I was just agreeing with JTwig.
---Penn Jillette
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

MrTwist wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
JTwig wrote:

Right, but in the case of actual strength category none of the ME powers actually change the category. Unless my copy is missing something, even ME: Metal doesn't actually change PS beyond just a numerical bonus. I was just agreeing with JTwig.

And I was agreeing with you that it does not change the category. Soif we are all agreeing, what are we arguing for? :-P
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
JTwig wrote:

And I was agreeing with you that it does not change the category. Soif we are all agreeing, what are we arguing for? :-P

It's fun. And incresed post count.
---Penn Jillette
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

MrTwist wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
JTwig wrote:

It's fun. And incresed post count.

Well, there is that. :lol:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”