Uses for the RPG Design Skill

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Uses for the RPG Design Skill

Unread post by Guest »

Seriously, has ANYONE come up with an in-game use for this skill in N&S? I swear that it's the only skill I haven't found an actual use for in the game. There's got to be some creative use of this skill out there somewhere.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

To Design Really interesting Abduction, Terrorism, Fraud Scenarios.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Doesn't the skill description say that it teaches the user how to stay up late repeatedly and function with little sleep? Then you could use it to offset sleep deprivation penalties for a short period of time.

You could also use it as a source of income for the character. Kind of like a specialized writing skill.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Unread post by Guest »

ash_wednesday wrote:It was just an inside joke. Wasn't meant to be useful
I know it was an inside joke. The point is, has anyone come up with creative in-game uses for it.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Only for a character who was trying to make a living using his skill as an RPG writer.
His idea was to take the adventures he experienced in life and make a game out them and get rich and retire.
Which of course, all game designers do, right?
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:Only for a character who was trying to make a living using his skill as an RPG writer.
His idea was to take the adventures he experienced in life and make a game out them and get rich and retire.
I think you're confusing game designers with fantasy/sci-fi novelists.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've seen a few saving throws made by the difference of having that +1 to PE.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread post by Guest »

Jefffar wrote:I've seen a few saving throws made by the difference of having that +1 to PE.
That's not really an in-game use of the skill though, that's using a bonus to PE provided by the skill, not the skill itself.
Sentinel
Palladin

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Only for a character who was trying to make a living using his skill as an RPG writer.

Well in my campaign, RPG designers can get Bill Gates rich.

Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

We had a NB/N&S/PF cross over campaign ("Nerds with Nards")where we all played college Geeks, Nerds, Goths, and other outcasts that knew each other through RP. Several of us had RPG design, so we worked on rules for our own RPG system.

We eventually ended up in some medieval world where my computer/chemistry nerd made gunpowder to fight off the demonic hordes. Others used old Dragon Lance strategies and such. You never heard so many Army of Darkness quotes in your life!
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

the Role Playing Game Design skill has the SAME purpose as the Sing Skill, the art skill, the play musical instrument skill.

it lets you design a Role Playing Game. what more do you need?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sentinel wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Well in my campaign, RPG designers can get Bill Gates rich.

They don't need to; Bill Gates is already rich...
:D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the Role Playing Game Design skill has the SAME purpose as the Sing Skill, the art skill, the play musical instrument skill.

Yup.

Although it might be kind of cool to allow the character to realize that he's a character in a RPG, and to let him use the skill to figure out (and maybe fix) the funky Palladium physics...

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Unread post by Guest »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the Role Playing Game Design skill has the SAME purpose as the Sing Skill, the art skill, the play musical instrument skill.

I take it your characters never had to sing the "beast" to sleep, draw anything, or participated in Lancer's Rockers.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

I take it your characters never had to sing the "beast" to sleep, draw anything, or participated in Lancer's Rockers.

What about the Art skill...?

(Although I did have a basilisk named Kudzu who used his Art skill to stone people in particularly striking poses...)

Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

Creative use....

*reaches into his magic hat*

PUH-POOF!!!!

Give the skill to an Entrepreneur and put all 4 business "points" into the RPG indudstry.

His name:

The Game Master

His Retinue:

A Veteran Grunt
A Dreamer Gizmoteer
A Dedicated Martial Artist
I love a good fight...

Unread post by Guest »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

What about the Art skill...?

(Although I did have a basilisk named Kudzu who used his Art skill to stone people in particularly striking poses...)

Well, if you're really creative (and depending on which version you take), you can use it to draw a map, sketch an object, carve your way out of prison (or a cave-in), blind/poison someone by knowing what paints are lethal, forge documents (poorly unless you've also got the literacy and/or forgery skills), alter objects, make disguises, and probably several things I haven't thought of.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Maybe you could use RPG Design as a catch-all knowledge skill....

"Of course I know the air speed of an African Swallow... I had to write it up for The Big Book of Migrating Animals..."

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Killer Cyborg wrote:What about the Art skill...?

1. Showing your character has some degree of refinement and appreciation of beautiful things.

2. Making a little extra money on the side as a painter, sculptor, glassblower, whatever.

3. Role-playing opportunities outside of killing ninjas and taking their stuff.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mike Taylor wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:What about the Art skill...?

1. Showing your character has some degree of refinement and appreciation of beautiful things.

2. Making a little extra money on the side as a painter, sculptor, glassblower, whatever.

3. Role-playing opportunities outside of killing ninjas and taking their stuff.

I prefer killing Gizmoteers and taking their stuff.

I can only get so many mis-named ninja swords before my collection is too full.

Gizmoer's tend to have great new stuff each succulent dead corpse:)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Maybe you could use RPG Design as a catch-all knowledge skill....

"Of course I know the air speed of an African Swallow... I had to write it up for The Big Book of Migrating Animals..."
That's the best idea so far.

Personally i pretend to use it when an NPC ["The Dungeon Master"] creates a new lair/deathtrap/scheme.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Sightblinder wrote:LOL! I Know!!

"Using my advanced knowledge of the matrices that define our universe, I will shift some of my PS, PP, and Spd attribute points over to my now ultra-high IQ and devise a plan that will allow us to easily and safely escape."

"You can do that!?" :eek:

"Of course, one merely needs consult the ancient texts to know these mysteries...."

*sniff sniff*

do I smell an 8-bit theater reference?

Unread post by Guest »

Trust Red Mage to get me out of this jam. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Its for making up RP game to play with your fellow agents while taking those long flights across the world.
Sentinel
Palladin

Sightblinder wrote:LOL! I Know!!

"Using my advanced knowledge of the matrices that define our universe, I will shift some of my PS, PP, and Spd attribute points over to my now ultra-high IQ and devise a plan that will allow us to easily and safely escape."

"You can do that!?" :eek:

"Of course, one merely needs consult the ancient texts to know these mysteries...."

sounds like a scientific plausibility for breaking the fourth wall, ala She Hulk.

Unread post by Guest »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:I'm surprised they have a "useless" skill with such useful bonuses.
There are no useless skills. You just have to find the right way to use it.

Unread post by Guest »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:
Erick Wujcik wrote:In Shanghai recently there was a social gathering of all my studio's Game Designers. At one point Michael (the guy responsible for "Rome: Total War") answered some incredibly obscure question. When asked why he would know, we Game Designers described our traits, explaining that collection of bizarre knowledge was a professional requirement. In the impromptu quiz that followed, we did a good job of proving it.

Erick

Where I'm from there's a big trivia craze going on and some of the questions and answers are waaaaaay out there. Either you know or you don't, you can't really guess on some of them.

My brother-in-law was once the all-time money winner in a game-show (until they changed the rules on Who Wants to be a Millionaire).

He's a trivia guru.

I thought about going on Millionaire once, but I'd be liable to smack the current host when she plays around with giving the answers.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”