Wing Board

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What do you think of the Wing Board?

It's a cool option for the Archangel.
65%
Not very original. I wouldn't use it.
9%
It's O.K.
26%

Total votes: 23

slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Wing Board

Unread post by slappy »

I know the name is ripped off from the Techno-Wizard device in Rifts, but I can't think of a better name. I originally started it as a War Mount called a Razor Wing, but it made more sense to make it an unthinking piece of equipment. Let me know if it needs to go back to the drawing board.

Wing Board

Wing Packs provide Archangels with incredible maneuverability, VTOL capabilities, and impressive flight speed, but some of these crazy dare devils just do not think they are fast enough. The true speed demons prefer to pilot Wing Boards. These Bio-Tech vehicles are basically organic missiles with wings. The vehicle consists of a powerful organic thruster with two chitinous wings mounted on the sides. They resemble bio-mechanical manta rays with narrow wings that swoop backwards in a crescent shape. The pilot lies prone on the board with his arms stretched forward over his head in the classic super hero pose. The same rib cage-like locking mechanism used on Wing Packs is used to secure the pilot to the Wing Board. The pilot slides his arms into the two thick, blade-shaped structures on the nose, and his feet are locked in place with a similar rib-cage like structure when the vehicle takes flight. These wicked blades look like they would be useful for ramming attacks, but such strikes would seriously injure or kill the pilot. Instead, Wing Board pilots rely on long-range attacks from their built-in Pod Launchers, or Archangels that are issued a personal Wing Board can have it enhanced with additional long-range Bio-Weapons. Wing Boards pack greater speed and offensive power than a Wing Pack, but Wing Packs are still preferred by most Archangels because of their incredible versatility and maneuverability. Wing Boards cannot hover in a stationary position, and the pilot is locked tight to the vehicle in flight which means he cannot engage targets in hand-to hand combat.

Note: While other Splicers often pilot Wing Packs, only the Archangels are crazy enough to pilot Wing Boards. Archangels can be issued a personal Wing Pack or Wing Board with additional speed, M.D.C., and/or Bio-Enhancements. The bonuses listed in the Splicers RPG for the Archangel’s personal Wing Pack can be applied to a personal Wing Board instead. The stats that follow are for the standard Wing Board without bonus features.

Class: One-Man Aerial Assault Fighter
Crew: One pilot.
M.D.C. by Location: Wings (2): 140 each – Pod Launchers (2): 85 - Main Body: 210 (Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body kills it. If this happens in flight, the pilot could fall to his death, 1D10 M.D. per 200 feet of height). Note: Any additional features added with Bio-E points are small and difficult targets to hit, thus, they can only be hit when an opponent makes a “Called Shot,” with a -3 penalty to hit.
M.D.C. Regeneration: As a living organism, the Wing Pack regenerates and heals damage at a rate of 1D12 M.D.C. per hour for the main body and 1D8 M.D.C. per hour for the wings and other locations. To regrow wings or other destroyed systems, each must have at least two M.D.C. points remaining. If M.D.C. is reduced to zero, that feature/item is destroyed.
Speed:
Running: The pilot can run before he locks himself onto the Wing Board (usually when preparing to launch), but he must run in an awkward bow-legged fashion while straddling the board. This reduces speed by half.
Leaping: Not possible. The pilot holds the Wing Board in position and then engages the thrusters to launch himself into the air.
Digging and Swimming: Not possible.
Flying: Top speed of 500 mph. Cruising speed is typically 300 to 350 mph.
Gliding: The Wing Board is capable of silent gliding at speeds between 60 and 160 mph.
Accelerated Dive: 800 mph in a steep downward dive.
Maximum Altitude: Up to 15,000 feet above the ground.
Flight Range: If flying non-stop, must rest for one hour after every 10 to 12 hours of flying. Indefinitely with frequent (once every hour or so), intermittent rests for a few (1D8) minutes at a time.
Statistical Data:
Height: 2 feet
Width/Wingspan: 14 feet
Length: 8 feet
Weight: 300 pounds
Cargo: Only what the wearer can strap to his body.
Physical Strength: No change or bonuses due to the Wing Board.
Production Cycle: Three months gestation, plus three months final growth time.
Operational Lifetime: 2D10+30 years.
Trade Value: 30,000 credits, but they are rarely sold or traded.
Senses and Features: The locking mechanisms used to secure the pilot to the Wing Board provides an additional 45 M.D.C. to the main body of the pilot, 20 M.D.C. for each leg, and both arms are completely shielded within the vehicle.
Feeding: Just like the Wing Pack, Wing Boards are photosynthetic. It only requires 5 hours of sunlight per day.
Sleep Requirements: The Wing Board does not actually “sleep,” but it does need a total of four hours of inactivity per day.
Combat Bonuses: +2 on initiative and +3 to dodge. Bonuses only apply when airborne and are in addition to any bonuses from the Archangel O.C.C. and Pilot Wing Boards skill.
Weapon Systems:
1. Pod Launchers (2):
The grappling hook mounted on Wing Packs was replaced by a pair of Pod Launchers. These chitinous weapons are mounted on the underside of each wing. They fire a burst of seed pods that explode on impact and shower the blast area with razor-sharp shrapnel. They are ideal for strafing large concentrations of ground troops or striking fast moving targets like Sky Fighters.
Primary Purpose: Assault
Secondary Purpose: Defense
Mega-Damage: 5D8 M.D. per burst with a blast radius of 30 feet. When both launchers fire at the same target, damage is 10D8 to a 50-foot radius.
Rate of Fire: Each burst counts as one melee attack. A dual attack from both launchers counts as one melee attack.
Effective Range: 1800 feet
Payload: Each Pod Launcher grows enough seed pods for 32 bursts per hour (64 total); automatically regenerates.
Bonuses: +1 to strike with a burst of pods.
Note: While operating a Wing Board, the pilot cannot use other handheld weapons or engage in hand-to-hand combat.

Pilot Wing Boards. This skill is only available to Archangels and is a part of the Wingman skill program. It allows them to pilot these tricky Bio-Tech devices. Most pilots quickly master take-offs and maneuvering while in flight, but landing can still be difficult, even for seasoned veterans. Wing Boards cannot hover, so the pilot must swoop in at the comparatively slow speed of 60 mph, and pull up the nose hard at the last second. Even Archangels, must roll under their skill level each time they land to see if they keep from skidding across the ground for 20 feet until they stop. Damage from a failed landing is 2D10 to the main body of the Wing Board. Base Skill: 65%+ 4% per level of experience (this includes the bonus of +25% as part of the Archangel O.C.C.). Bonuses: +1 on initiative and +3 to dodge.
Last edited by slappy on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

I like it for more variety amongst archangels but I think I'd have liked it more as a full fledged outrider warmount to support Draco and Zephyrs in prolonged engagements. Archangels are great for "blaze of glory" tactics but they lack staying power in longer engagements due in no small part to their initial bio-e limitations.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I just want to say that I love the idea.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

3.5 Biotics who "borrowed" a Wing Board give it a thumbs up.

Another wonderful Slappy creation.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I was thinking of a Pteradactal like creature myself. It was a great idea, though.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Zenvis wrote:I was thinking of a Pteradactal like creature myself. It was a great idea, though.

Go ahead and do it up. Then we will can compare them.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

that was really really cool
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[

Return to “Splicers®”