Anatole Leonard out of his Mind?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Well... Absoluteanime calls him Anatole Leonard
the Unofficial RT reference guid Says Claude Leonard (but I've not checked whether they rely on HG or Japanese Original names)
the Disciples of Zor fan page list him as Anatole Leonard
And the Souther Cross universe database lists him as Claude Leon, but they use the Japanese Original names all across
He is also "Anatole" in the French dubbed version I'm lucky to have currently available (it doesn't belong to me)

All in all, only the Newcomer and Revisionist Robotech.com call him Eli... the fact that they currently own the rights and can dictate what is "official" doesn't change a thing to the historically recognized facts.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

yes, HG has the Right to Establish Canon, just because peopel dislike that or find it wrong, Sorry, its there Property and they can Cange it how they Like.
Much Like the "Han shot First" debate among SW fans, the Revisions fo Robotech are gonan be just as Debated and hated. but I for one Like the Fact HG has taken an effort to Correct Problems in its Series.

His name is most likely Eli Anatole Leonard.

both the URRG and the southren corss univers data base refer to the Japanaimation name of its Character that happens to Share the Same Animations Cells as General Leonard, but is in no way related to him or Robotech.

is the French Dubbed version Robotech of the Japanaimation that shares some animation cells with Robotech?

All in all, only the Newcomer and Revisionist Robotech.com call him Eli... the fact that they currently own the rights and can dictate what is "official" doesn't change a thing to the historically recognized facts.

"Currently" own the rights? i'm darn sure HG has Always owned Robotech.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Svartalf
Champion

What I hate... and I mean *HATE* :x:x:x

is when people publish something, and it becomes a smash hit, a cult thing even... in its original version... and then, whatever their reason, just because they have the "rights" (but that doesn't make it right anyway) they want to change it...

I'll flay Lucas alive if I can for what he did to star wars, and the HG people deserve no less if they try to change the canon established by the original Robotech material... it was aired and became a cult as it was in 85, so now, let's not touch it. to me, it feels like trying to put arms back on the Venus of Milo or painting the Mona Lisa again in anime bright colors...

they can argue and make or unmake canon any accessory anime, comic or novel they want, but there, it's touching the fraggin original material, and that's dead unconscionable.

Leonard is Anatole, or Claude Leon if you prefer... I don't know where that "eli" is from, nor do I want to.

EDIT... oh, and I never saw that robotech.com was an HG emanation, hence my useless "currently"
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

HG people deserve no less if they try to change the canon established by the original Robotech material... it was aired and became a cult as it was in 85,

Well, then hate them for the Novels/comics/exosquad/Sentinesl/3000/really bad comics Too, because they all Altred the Origonal Canon fomr its 85 Episode Form, most Added noting Good to the Canon, and Made up tons of Stuff NEVER implied in the 85 Episoded (Shaping/HAydon).

oh, and Eli was the Name Given to him on the Scripts, but IIRC his First name is Never Mentioned in the Serise, he's Simply Supream Commander Leonard.
Edit-
OFF TOPIC:
Remmebr the Dragon Lance 5th age books.... i hope you dont, When Weis and hickman left TSR for the 3rd time, TSR Ruined Dragonlance and Made the 5th age crap... when Wotc took over they got the Rights to Revise all the 5th age plot and Saved the Line. Revision isnt a bad thing.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Svartalf
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
HG people deserve no less if they try to change the canon established by the original Robotech material... it was aired and became a cult as it was in 85,

Well, then hate them for the Novels/comics/exosquad/Sentinesl/3000/really bad comics Too, because they all Altred the Origonal Canon fomr its 85 Episode Form, most Added noting Good to the Canon, and Made up tons of Stuff NEVER implied in the 85 Episoded (Shaping/HAydon).

oh, and Eli was the Name Given to him on the Scripts, but IIRC his First name is Never Mentioned in the Serise, he's Simply Supream Commander Leonard.
Edit-
OFF TOPIC:
Remmebr the Dragon Lance 5th age books.... i hope you dont, When Weis and hickman left TSR for the 3rd time, TSR Ruined Dragonlance and Made the 5th age crap... when Wotc took over they got the Rights to Revise all the 5th age plot and Saved the Line. Revision isnt a bad thing.

Well... I accept the Sentinels material, because it only adds to, without alteration or contradiction, the basic canon, and I rather liked the RPG stuff made from it. The rest, I know not, nor am I sure I want to, if I believe the controversy it causes and alterations to the basic plot it implies.

If Eli is from the original Macek scripts, how come everybody who's not using the Japanes version calls him Anatole (which is much more French sounding... Eli is Jewish and doesn't fit the last name)?

And I don't remember Dragonlance... I never was a Krynn fan to begin with, and a lot of what was done, even early (BTW, are you talking about only the novels or the game material too?) didn't go well with what I like, so I never invested into DL things, or became an expert in the Krynn universe or timeline.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

even the Sentinels Creates a Time-line Issue that is to hard to Rencocile in the Old "canon Timeline". if the REf fough the invid in the mid 2020's (the 5 year fold was a Mckinney invention, so not part of the sentinels canon) how come they didnt warn the ASC about them, and a possible invasion by them (the Captian of the Hanible never Said, the REF is to busy fighting the Invid to send you aid, he just said its not gonna come).

His names is Eli Anatole Leonard, He's Not French Either, I believe he is American (The Lack of a Strong French accent leads me to think so just becasue my French Teacher lived in the US for over 30 years and Still retained a Strong Accent and a Unique Oder but Maybe Jewish & French ancestors.)

Everything Produced after the fact will create Continuity problems unless you have a Decent Continuity Director, Which i believe HG never invested in.

(teh Dragon lance Thing affected both teh Game and the Books.... the Books sucked... and they released a "Card" based game for DL, that used Faux Terrot Cards. the basic plot became the God left... wordl ruled by Dragon overlords, the re-fix was. one God hid the planet, then the Dragons invaded while she was weak.. aslo broght it back to a non-crap game system)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Basara_549 wrote:Back on the Subject of Robotech, though. HG can make all the continuity changes they want - as long as they say it applies to the new series as the alternate universe it is.

Stan, the problem I have with the older 'version' of the Robotech canon was the sheer amount of material that fell through the cracks. Its beside the point if the Sylphide is a Veritech (that can be called a retcon and its not a stretch...but its logical), but its not beside the point that the Condor IS transformable (we see both the Battloid and Fighter configurations in the anime) and was left as a mystery. Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

There was also the problem of interpreting Robotech through the lense of The Sentinels as it was to be produced. Even worse was the interpretation of Robotech through the novels. Do you remember how many people screamed and howled when I brought up that we see the remains of an Earth-built cruiser 20 light-years from Earth in eps. #31? How about the knock-down, drag-out arguments that occur from Dana's statement that she has a little brother?

I ignore the new comics whenever its convenient because Tommy has even admitted he didn't follow the continuity in the series. Reflex Point is a great example of that....as is the outdated and STUPID concept of the SDF-1, SDF-2 and Khyron's Monitor-class warship being the three mounds in Southern Cross. I think there are still plenty of issues that need to be addressed that have simply been glossed over by everyone (the thugs and dead soldiers bikes being Cyclones is one) Like I've said before, I won't get into the debacle over the Early Return/Late Return as you know my feelings.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

I've never Seen Robotech as a single Universe. every aspect of it has a Diffrten twist, turn and translation of the 85 episodes.

Mckinney was one of the few people i know of that insisted the Varied Stories of robotech was still one universe, when Clearly its not.

The new form of Robotech is much better then the mess it was eariler (Robotect+Sentinels+3000+Exo-Squad+12 diffrent comics)

As for the Dragonlance Books, Stan you Should Look in to the War of Souls Trilogy, it Fixes all the bad Calls TSR made with DoSF and 5th age.
Svartalf
Champion

ironleader wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:'The only thing the French are good for is hosting an invasion'
- Johnny English

:D

now Rabid, Thats not completly Fair, the French make some nice Pasteries.

don't forget the booze, they do that well too.
(but it's just as good as Kentucky)

Man, if you're trying to compare Cognac and Calva (not to mention pear or plum brandy...) with bourbon, you're completely off the mark... apples and oranges and all that stuff
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

Svartalf wrote:
ironleader wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:'The only thing the French are good for is hosting an invasion'
- Johnny English

:D

now Rabid, Thats not completly Fair, the French make some nice Pasteries.

don't forget the booze, they do that well too.
(but it's just as good as Kentucky)

Man, if you're trying to compare Cognac and Calva (not to mention pear or plum brandy...) with bourbon, you're completely off the mark... apples and oranges and all that stuff

The french are good for a few things such as pastries, cooking, helping start the EU, pissing of the US (that one I like alot), but fighting in the last centuryis not one of them. And nothing is better than a really good scotch (Macallan 25yr)
Svartalf
Champion

Man, we still shouldered most of WWI, and held out well, even if we could probably never have won alone...

and we have a looong military tradition, even if crappy officers and crummier equipment have made sure our winning streak ended with the Napo man...

I don't know exactly what your 25y Macallan is like, but I bet that my 1976 Ardbeg (or about any 15 y Islay stuff for that matter) is more to my taste... I'm not much for Highland or Speyside stuff...

but that is beside the point : our brandies are not in the same league as American style whiskies, they are just too different, I enjoy Bourbon greatly, but would not drink it in the circumstances when I feel like an Armagnac or Old Plum brandy...
Last edited by Svartalf on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

Svartalf wrote:bI enjoy Bourbon greatly, but would not drink it in the circumstances when I feel like an Armagnac or Old Plum brandy...

Well if you like plum brandy then check some Serbian brandy as one of them has a Wodden Cross in the bottle :-D
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

My parents are Swiss. I happen to quite like Kirsch, but you have to be careful if you spill it on any varnished surface.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Svartalf
Champion

Comrade Corsarius wrote:My parents are Swiss. I happen to quite like Kirsch, but you have to be careful if you spill it on any varnished surface.

I knew the stuff contained trace amounts of cyanide (like all pit liquors), but does it also contain acetone?

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”