Who is the Best African American super-hero?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Kyle Richmond, AKA Nighthawk, from Supreme Power.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

MrTwist wrote:Kyle Richmond, AKA Nighthawk, from Supreme Power.
Which is really funny cause by the time he gets to be president, in the original miniseries of Squadron Supreme, he's very clearly a white guy.LOL
HAhahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I'm not sure I see your point. Supreme Power and the Squadron Supreme, while based on the same characters and such, are two different visions. So, the original Richmond was white, this one's black. And part of a better book, I might add.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

Spawn for me. He's a cool character and I like the demonic aspect, esspecially doing almost anything.

Bishop is also cool, never read the comic in which he first appeared saw him in the cartoon while with the sentinals.

Unfortunantly I like villains a little more, and the best villain for me is Chapel (also in spawn) but only because of the fact that he was a reincarnation of a super powerful creature that lead the four horseman as the fifth horseman and kick Satan's scaley red @$$ out of hell.

That was in a collection of a bunch of comics with "Youngblood, Supreme, BloodStrike, Birgade, Newmen, and Prophet".

Of course (Off subject now) The character "Crypt" was awsome, he was the most evil, sinister and physically/mentally powerful creature I've ever seen. I made as a character and is considered a NPC, and is only used in world destruction type adventures.

sorry for drifting but that's me.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Bounty-Hunter

Unread post by Bounty-Hunter »

Eauropean/American characters are just white
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

MrTwist wrote:I'm not sure I see your point. Supreme Power and the Squadron Supreme, while based on the same characters and such, are two different visions. So, the original Richmond was white, this one's black. And part of a better book, I might add.

I know all this. I just thought it was interesting that a black character in one book ends up as president in another. It's like the character of Pete Ross, in the comics he's white, gets married to Lana Lane andbecomes vie-Pres, and then Pres. But in Smallville he's black, so
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

MrTwist wrote:I'm not sure I see your point. Supreme Power and the Squadron Supreme, while based on the same characters and such, are two different visions. So, the original Richmond was white, this one's black. And part of a better book, I might add.

I know all this. I just thought it was interesting that a black character in one book ends up as president in another. It's like the character of Pete Ross, in the comics he's white, gets married to Lana Lane and becomes Luthor's vice-Pres, and then President when Luthors kicked out. But in Smallville he's black, so in a way a black character became president, see? NO? Let me try to explain.
Both times a white charater who had become president got remake into a black character. I'm Just curious if either of the remakes become president as well...
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Well I've heard from some people that the Milestone(at least, I think it was Milestone) comics were pretty good, but I've never actually read any. Any other specific super heroes you like/dislike Apollo?
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

MrTwist wrote:Well I've heard from some people that the Milestone(at least, I think it was Milestone) comics were pretty good, but I've never actually read any. Any other specific super heroes you like/dislike Apollo?

I think that Static Shock came from there didn't he?
I think that his writers have done a good job of avoiding stereotypes with him, even though I hate dreadlockes.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Spirit wrote:
MrTwist wrote:Well I've heard from some people that the Milestone(at least, I think it was Milestone) comics were pretty good, but I've never actually read any. Any other specific super heroes you like/dislike Apollo?

I think that his writers have done a good job of avoiding stereotypes with him, even though I hate dreadlockes.

Yeah, I'm sure that was where Static Shock came from. Not exactly, as the cartoon is based off the comic. I've heard there is a bit of difference between the two, but I really don't know for sure.

ApolloSteele wrote:In the end a lot of times it is not the character concept I have beef about.
It is the execution. A lot of times it seems as soon as the character is made of an ethnic origin. The writer gives up on trying to be original or even good with the story telling.

Then you get middle of the road garbage. That attempts to pass itself off as a story.

Ignoring the ethnic part, I have the same problem with just about 4 out of 5 attempts at all comics. Sometimes they have some great ideas for a character, and then execute the storyline with all the style of a Subway employee making a sandwich.

Recently, I've actually enjoyed a few of the Crossgen storylines. From mainstream, big name, comics I've really enjoyed Thanos and Supreme Power. Outside mainstream, but still decently well known, I really liked Wanted.
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

MrTwist wrote:
Spirit wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that was where Static Shock came from. Not exactly, as the cartoon is based off the comic. I've heard there is a bit of difference between the two, but I really don't know for sure.

Well, from what I've heard, Gearz is out in the comics but not the cartoon.
Not sure what else.(Gearz in is a white supersmart(think hardware)/sidekick type character)
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Angryjack wrote:Uh Gearz was always in static shock cartoon, just that he didn't have his powers show up until 2nd season.

Wait a minute, you claim to be from NY NY USA, and yet you don't know what "Gearz is out" means?
:eek:
Think, man, think!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Angryjack wrote:
Spirit wrote:
Angryjack wrote:Uh Gearz was always in static shock cartoon, just that he didn't have his powers show up until 2nd season.

Wait a minute, you claim to be from NY NY USA, and yet you don't know what "Gearz is out" means?
:eek:
Think, man, think!

LOL they made Gearz GAY now? That would be funny certainly not something I'd expect to see in the cartoon.

As far as I know he was always gay in the comics, he just doesn't have a girlfriend in the cartoon(or for that matter hasn't shown any interest in any females).
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

its a Toss up between War-Machine & Black Panther...

But Actually I like the NightHawk from Supream Power, a Slightly Racist Nut job who hates all thing Superpowered... Very much a Darker(no pun intended) version of his Squadron supream predessor and batman both.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..Didn't hit the thread fast enough to get the first vote in for Static Shock. The cartoon does a very good job of touching on all those topics that can actually teach while entertaining, and the comic is da bomb.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
khyron1144
Explorer
Comment: Everyone's a super hero; Everyone's a Captain Kirk

Unread post by khyron1144 »

My favorite is probably Cloak from Cloak and Dagger.

How come no one has mentioned Thunder, Black Lightning's daughter, from The Outsiders? Is the current The Outsiders that unknown?
This is indeed a disturbing universe.

First there is a mountain. Then there is no mountain. Then there is.

As ninety-nine red balloons go by.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

Tyr Anasazi from andromeda
the black punisher.... (when he gets reconstuctive surgary, I guess he dosen't count as african american)

Outlaw....

Falcon........
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Agent_gir wrote:Tyr Anasazi from andromeda
the black punisher.... (when he gets reconstuctive surgary, I guess he dosen't count as african american)

Tyr became a villian though...

ANd then we would have to count Lois Lane for the same reasons...
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I must be the only person who liked BattleStar, the former partner to the John Walker Captain America.
My childhood favorites were Black Panther, Falcon , and Luke Cage.
Black Lightning could have been a lot cooler. Black Vulcan was too much like a cross between BL and an obscure character called Air Wave II, watered down in a kiddie cartoon and served up to me because some one thought my psyche was being abused from a lack of black superheroes on TV.
John Stewart's cool. I never read Icon or Static.
Oh, and I don't want to forget Roy Thomas' contrribution to black golden agers...Amazing Man! (not the Bill Everett one, but the guy from All-Star Squadron)
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I have to add the Ultimate's version of Nick Fury.

No list would be complete without a mention of Meteor Man (remember that silly film from the early '90s?)
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”