Adventure help

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Adventure help

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well it looks like I've been Shanghai'd into running a Palladium Fantasy game sometime in the next few weeks. I've read almost all the 1st edition stuff and have some of the second edition books like Northern Wilderness etc, but I don't have all of the new books. So my question is, I'm running this game for a group that has NEVER played in PF. What on earth should I do with the players? I'm not sure exactly where to start this thing, or even what I should avoid since I haven't run a game here in years, and never with 2nd edition.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Can you run it in 1st ed.?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

maasenstodt wrote:Can you run it in 1st ed.?

I could do either, but I still have no idea what to do since I haven't run a PF adventure since... 1992? 93? And even then it was the adventure in the back of the main book. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

What have they played before?
Their gaming style can tell you what type of adventure to run for them.
Other than that, Palladium's premade adventures are pretty much all good.
I'd just run First Edition and stick with the Tombs of the Gersidi adventure... draw out finding the tombs a bit to give them time to warm up to the setting and their characters.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, you can always go with the adventure in the Old Ones book, if you have it. I can't remember the name, it's the Mystic Parcel or something. You could download the tried and true "Arms of Targash Nor" from the cutting room floor. I think it's still there.

-Vek
"I'm just too lazy to look."
TonyTown
D-Bee

Unread post by TonyTown »

I was recently badgered into restarting again last year as well...

...and I am LOVING IT.

Under the excuse of play-testing a campaign book I have been putting together (now finished) for submission to palladium I am now proud to say its GREAT. When playing an RPG where literally anything can happen...and anyone is almost always in danger of getting axed is great!!! Four characters died in the first gaming session..not from any uber-monster...but from inter-party agressions towards each other...lol..gotta love it...;)

Tony Hunt
GM - CoS Campaign
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Four characters died in the first gaming session..not from any uber-monster...but from inter-party agressions towards each other...lol..gotta love it...

:shock:
Kind of stinks from a character development standpoint, though, wouldn't you say?
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

I would start the classic way, in Timiro with the adventures from Old Ones...first is Mystic Parcels.

Or you could start in the West, Bill Coffins adventures are also very nice.

I personally wouldnt play "Arms" nor "Gersidi" cause they are both old-fashioned, outdated. Okay, there are still fun, but they certainly arent modern at all.

Vid
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

I recently got conned into the same thing. My friends wanted something *other* than RIFTS, so they went out and bought the main PFRPG book. I was doing well, falling back onto previous experience from a certain game created by a guy named Gary, fudging most of the knowledge not presented in the main book. Then some joker in my group snagged almost all of the supplement books and tried to rules lawyer me.

I'm making a mint charging 5 cents a character sheet.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Mitchbrock wrote:Daniel Stoker,

I always start with Great Northern Wilderness. Because nothing screams Palladium Fantasy like The Wolfen Empire. I usually start them off in the disputed territory to give them that sense of tension between the two civilizations on the brink of war. Also any adventures in the Adventures in the GNW or Further Adventures in the GNW are great for the new to Palladium group!

Hope this helps!

Mitch,

I'm delighted that you're eager to dive in, and I certainly agree with you that the Wolfen Empire is a wonderful place. I just wanted to pass along a friendly reminder to check the date on a thread before posting. This thread hadn't had a post in more than two and a half years.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. Go about your business! :-P
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

Veknironth wrote:Well, you can always go with the adventure in the Old Ones book, if you have it. I can't remember the name, it's the Mystic Parcel or something. You could download the tried and true "Arms of Targash Nor" from the cutting room floor. I think it's still there.

-Vek
"I'm just too lazy to look."

Vek is right on the money. If you want maximum play value, with minimum input from you, run, do not walk, to the Cutting Room Floor and download The Arms of Nargash-tor.

Play 1st Edition. Run that adventure. Then run either The Tombs of Gersidi from the 1st Ed. book, or take the game in whatever direction the Arms conclusion leads. There's enough content in that adventure that if you can't use it as a springboard for months of play you shouldn't be GMing. It is, in my opinion, the finest thing Palladium has ever published for starting a new game group in the PFRPG setting.

Just do it, Dan. You won't be disappointed.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

J. Lionheart wrote:I just wanted to pass along a friendly reminder to check the date on a thread before posting. This thread hadn't had a post in more than two and a half years.

Heh -- I didn't notice that either! Ooops.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”