Battleoid mode and missiles

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmer
Adventurer

Battleoid mode and missiles

Unread post by Rimmer »

Can a Veritech in Battleoid mode fire missiles ? I'm pretty sure it was done in the seris, in the episode when they were trapped in a Zentraedi battleship.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

hmmmm. . . tricky. . . I'd say no, just because I think that just looks weird. when you think of how it fires missles in other forms, in battleoid mode it would be firing them stright up. possible with tracking and smart bombs, but others and especially mini-misiles would be all but useless.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

this falls under the mantle of SAT (Stupid Anima Tricks), In that most of the modles you have to take the missles off to get the wings to fold up properly, I think they put out a few transformables that could have the wings folded in and have the missles tucked out of the way. If I rmeber the Original art book corectly only the "outside" harpoint could hold missles while transformed into battloid
冠双
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yeah, they fire vertically. The wings spread a little bit off the back for launch.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

I also seem to remember Max and Myria dancing about in force of arms (or some later Ep) with the wings out in Battloid. can't say I remember any missiles on them.

as to that, what happens to the hard points when the missiles are fired? fall off? otherwise what happens to them when the wings fold for battloid?

I say sure, why not. not smart missiles only fire at targets above while smart ones can change heading.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Just for the coolness factor, I would say yes - but only straight up :D :P .
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Raiden

Missiles, hard points and Anime tricks....oh my

Unread post by Raiden »

My thinking on the whole subject is that if all the missiles aren't fired off in the first few rounds of combat, then when the VF does change into the Battloid mode the wings stay folded out.

You notice that in Robotech that the VF's only change forms when they've either fired off all their missiles or have no missiles evident on the wings at all, with the mysterious exception of Ben....

....maybe he got the missiles Space Folded onto his VF....one of the many mysteries of Robotech... :D
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:I also seem to remember Max and Myria dancing about in force of arms (or some later Ep) with the wings out in Battloid. can't say I remember any missiles on them.

as to that, what happens to the hard points when the missiles are fired? fall off? otherwise what happens to them when the wings fold for battloid?

They can be jetisoned. relitivly speaking they are not that expensive. In the real world some of them are designed to self eject if any Missile ordinace on them "Self Launches due to external interferance" (translation, the rocket motor cooks off for whatever reason while the weapon is still "Dissarmed")
冠双
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

I guess that the answer would be a "Yes" then, missiles can be fired in Battleoid mode, but only straight up. But considering all SRM's are self guiding, it dosen't matter to much.

"Answer Accepted" :D

With the amount of inconsistancies can we assume that Carl Macek and Palladium books use the same editer :-P
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Rimmer wrote:I guess that the answer would be a "Yes" then, missiles can be fired in Battleoid mode, but only straight up. But considering all SRM's are self guiding, it dosen't matter to much.

"Answer Accepted" :D

With the amount of inconsistancies can we assume that Carl Macek and Palladium books use the same editer :-P

Hey... I think I remember seing *somewhere* in the Robotech RPG book (or was it a supplement like the RDF manual? :eek: ) that Veritechs are not supposed to go into Battloid before launching all of their wing missiles... then again, with the Ben evidence (I must admit this had not struck me when I saw the episode)... I guess this rule can be cast away

and it's in the *images* so there's a good likelihood it was part of the original series too, not a specifically Macek inconsistency. (I don't want to defend him, not before I've made a thorough study of exactly *what* he did to the 3 series to turn them into Robotech [and I'm afraid it will be a cold day in hell before I can do that :-(] but I believe in giving to each his due)
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's the Logan that can't go to battloid with missiles
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Jefffar wrote:It's the Logan that can't go to battloid with missiles

oops... my mistake :oops:
thanks
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Jefffar wrote:It's the Logan that can't go to battloid with missiles

Since when did the Logan Veritech Fighter has a battloid mode?
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Well....the Guardian/Battloid mode is a hybrid. It technically fulfills the same function as a Battloid form.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

Actually, to get even more technical, the Logan has only two modes: Fighter and Battloid.

The way to tell the difference between a Guardian and a Battloid, is that all Guardian modes have the reverse knee-joint.

The Alpha, Beta, VF-1, and even the VHT all have reverse knee joints in their Guardian modes.

The Logan has regular knee joints, so it is by definition, a Battloid.
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

Zerebus wrote:And the Logan's lack of a reverse knee joint makes me wonder how that top-heavy looking thing manages to stay upright. :p

Very carefully :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lt. Holmes wrote:
Zerebus wrote:And the Logan's lack of a reverse knee joint makes me wonder how that top-heavy looking thing manages to stay upright. :p

Very carefully :)

ya know. . . a full size Zentradi could likely tip one over without much trouble. . .
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:I also seem to remember Max and Myria dancing about in force of arms (or some later Ep) with the wings out in Battloid. can't say I remember any missiles on them.

You say dancing around you don't mention that they happen to be flying at the time in an atmosphere. A feat which I believe the rule book says is not possible. As far as them not having missles on at the time maybe they already fired them or didn't have them loaded at the time.

I forget who said missiles are inexpensive on this post but it would be more likely that the VF's were armed with multiple gunpods to save expenses. As for sighting a real world missile burn off as proof of there cost huh???. Here's a real, real world proof of cost. In Desert Storm and every other conflict the pilots are restricted on what munitions they can use depending on the cost of the target.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

ya know. . . a full size Zentradi could likely tip one over without much trouble. . .

Yea sure...if he wants a triple blast to the chest for being a jackarse.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”