Mind melter with 2 psi swords, dealing 10D 6 damage each?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

albone

Mind melter with 2 psi swords, dealing 10D 6 damage each?

Unread post by albone »

I have a player with an 8th level mind melter that he hasn't used in a while. He says that he should be able to use 2 psi-swords, each dealing 10D6 damage. Is that right?

I'm pretty sure you have to be a cyberknight to use two psi-swords, and I think he's improperly stacking damage, when he shouldn't.

Can I get a ruling?

Thanks
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Mind melter with 2 psi swords, dealing 10D 6 damage each

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

First thought, as long as he has the ISP and Paired Weapons skill then yes; you can create a Psi-Sword and a Psi-Shield at same time so two Psi-Swords should not be a big deal; is there anything in the description that says two psi-swords can/can not be used at same time?

Yes Cyber-Knights can make two swords, and I think the Native American Mystic Warrior can as well.

Bottomline: It's your game, tell him no if you don't like the idea.

EDIT: Changed PPE to ISP...duh
Last edited by Dustin Fireblade on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Another way to balance this would be to reduce the damage to a total pool of 10D6. Thus, the character could have one psi-sword that did 10D6 or two that divided that damage pool any way the character chooses so long as the total did not exceed 10D6.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

What about the 4th Level Mind Melter from Psyscape who wants two 12d6 MDC psi-swords? That's a bit munchy. Although no much worse than the creative use of bio-manipulation and psychosomantic disease.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:
z0b wrote:What about the 4th Level Mind Melter from Psyscape who wants two 12d6 MDC psi-swords? That's a bit munchy. Although no much worse than the creative use of bio-manipulation and psychosomantic disease.

It's still 60 ISP (more than 10%) of his isp,
Still takes 2 rounds of doing nothing except being a juicy target.
Further, these are melee weapons.
Any smart enemy would stay away & shoot, unless cornered.

I'd go with the same. If the Mind Melter has spent so much time and energy to specialize in something, then let them have it. 60 isp and 2 rounds are expensive. Just make sure to include a juicer with a rifle that has a 4k ft range as an enemy...
Ninjafingers
Wanderer

Unread post by Ninjafingers »

All right, now I can make my Octoman Mind Melter really kick butt!
Juicers are so hopped up on drugs that their reflexes are hyper-fast and the rest of the world around them seems to be moving in slow motion. Which means that they are likely the only ones to be able to keep up with the Palladium rule changes... - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”