Atlantean Animal Tattoos

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Atlantean Animal Tattoos

Unread post by darthauthor »

Do Atlantean Animal Tattoos, once brought to temporary life need rest and water and such or are they more like inexhaustable robots?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Atlantean Animal Tattoos

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

"The animals aren't actually alive, but composed of a magic, ectoplasm-like substance."-WB2 pg88 (also applies to Monster Tattoos)

That should remove the need for food/water and likely rest. So yes, they are like robots. They "recharge" when they are activated/cast.
darthauthor
Hero

Question #2
Can the animals run at max speed for their duration and work nonstop?

Questoin #3:
Can you get a tattoo of a cow and have it produce milk?

Question #4:
Can you get a tattoo of queen bee and have it lead bees away?

Question #5:
Can a tattoo of a bear be orderd to smach fish out of a river?

Question #6:
Can a tattoo of a raccoon be sent out to steal stuff?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Q2:
Yes

Q3:
No, remember the creature is composed of an ecto-plasm like substance. It is unlikely it could produce milk, in point of fact that would be outside of the scope of the intent for them (combat, pack animal, riding) but also when a cow is able to produce milk (and I'm not sure how that could be represented in the tattoo).

Q4:
No, Bees have methods for identifying members of their own hive, so an imposter isn't likely to work.

Q5:
I don't see why it couldn't be ordered to grab of fish out of the water (it could be viewed as a form of combat)

Q5:
I'm going to say yes it should be possible, if like in Q5 one is a bit flexible with one or more of the intended purposes (in this case pack animal).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In support of "the bear can fish, the raccoon can steal for you", many animals in the brief descriptions have their skills; I'd extend that to other things the normal animal can do.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
darthauthor
Hero

ShadowLogan and Library Orge

You guys are great fountain of information.

Have a game with an Atlantean Undead slayer and they are having trouble deciding on their next tattoo.

Asking questions like "What is a bee or spider good for as a magic Tattoo? What does one even do with them?"

I didn't know myself.

Top 2 picks so far are:

A riding horse/Steed.
Some debate about a traditional horse vs an exotic mount like a Fury Bettle (not sure if that is a monster)
They are also in love with the idea of riding a dinosaur or flying on the back of a Pterodactyl.

I told them I'd have to look that one up on myth busters or something, ask the forum boards.

A new question just came to mind.

Question: IF all animals are inexhaustable and they don't need to eat or drink:
Is there any reason to consider a camel over a horse?

The way I see it things like a fury bettle are good mounts for difficult terrain

Some of the team are enamored with the idea of a good hunting DOG
But they want the DOG to be great at EVERYTHING
-Bomb sniffer
-Drug finder
-DOG sled pulling
-Herders for cattle drives
-Hunter
-Rat catcher
-Search and rescue
-Therapy Dog for kids or Joes
-Tracker
-Truffle finder

I know that some of these dogs can pull double duty but the way I see it, its one of those MASTER of none jack of all trades things. One dog is not going to be master of them all.

However, now that I understand that they are more like a robot.
I see it as more mechanics and software.
The robot dog will follow the order to the best of their ability.
BUT not all dogs breeds and sizes come with equal ability.

Another Question:
"Would a Magic Tattoo Dog be accepted by a dog pack?"

Like in hunting or pulling a sled?"
Or
Is it like a terminator and the other dogs would bark at him?
Last edited by darthauthor on Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

darthauthor wrote:Some debate about a traditional horse vs an exotic mount like a Fury Bettle (not sure if that is a monster)
They are also in love with the idea of riding a dinosaur or flying on the back of a Pterodactyl.
To determine if something is an animal or monster (for Tattoo Magic purposes, at least for Rifts) look at if it is an HP/SDC creature or MDC creature. MDC creatures are going to be monster, and HP/SDC creatures are going to be animal.
darthauthor wrote:Question: IF all animals are inexhaustable and they don't need to eat or drink:
Is there any reason to consider a camel over a horse?
Aside from respective stats you mean (and IINM there is a lack of camel)? While they might both be able to ignore exhaustion and such, its going to also come down to:
1. what roles you want the horse or camel to do
2. geography (camel might attract attention if its not native to the area, not saying hostile attention but "novel" attention at the very least you might easily dismiss a couple of guys on horseback in the New West, but if they're on Camels they might be more memorable)
3. Speed & Carrying Capacity (based on stats)
4. combat utility (remember these magical constructs exist for combat, as pack animals, and riding)
darthauthor wrote:I know that some of these dogs can pull double duty but the way I see it, its one of those MASTER of none jack of all trades things. One dog is not going to be master of them all.
Also keep in mind some of those roles you listed likely take training to pull off effectively, you'll also have breeds that are better for the role(s) than others (we see that in DogBoy Breed types). So no, I would not allow one dog tattoo to be able to do everything like they are looking for, and some of that might be out anyway due to the need for training.
darthauthor wrote:Another Question:
"Would a Magic Tattoo Dog be accepted by a dog pack?"
Normally No, these are magical creatures (of a fashion) which tend to set off animals in an unfriendly fashion (see Psionic Abilities in Animals in RMB pg114, it's not in RUE AFAIK but it is also in PF2E mainbook, a useful section I'm not sure why it was cut out especially given you get quickie HP/SDC and PPE stat blocks for a variety of animals). I wouldn't rule out being able to train a dog pack to accept one, but I think it would not be easy to pull off.
darthauthor
Hero

Questions:

So what does one do with a tattoo of a bee?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

While WB2's write up is brief on the bee/wasp, and the recommended Monsters & Animals SB doesn't include them (AFAIK) they do make an appearance in Mutants in Orbit and Heroes Unlimited (specifically the Control Insects & Arachnids Major power pg263-4 for 2E). Per HU2E, but not noted in WB2 is that the sings cause "pain and discomfort" with penalties and the Giant enchantment of the Super Power gives the examples a potent poison to use (while this is giant size, it would indicate that these insects have a poison).

Uses:
-A. Distraction (especially if one is allergic to Bee or Wasp stings, has a phobia of bee/wasp, or is made to think they do)
-B. While it is unlikely to be able to make honey, or infiltrate a (colony) hive, communicate with said hive, etc. It can likely still function as a pollinator.
-C as the stats lack PS score, you could use them to push buttons (that don't take a lot of force to trigger) or carry/push/pull extremely light item that likely only possible due to their magical nature
-D. as the PS score is lacking, it could be used to "thread" wire/string through a small opening
-E. due to their small size they might be able to get into machinery/electronics and attack individual components over time (cause leaks in hoses, damage resistors/capacitor/inductors/diodes, remove/loosen batteries, chew through wires, etc). This might not be critical damage or it could be.
-F. They might also be able to crawl into armor and attack someone inside (note this shouldn't be an instant get in, it should take time), though here I would likely suggest it for only crappy/incomplete armor (MD type)

For a more effective bee/wasp, the stats are for generic bee/wasp and severely lacking in detail so I would suggest several things:
-A. replace the generic stats with more detailed stats for available breeds if you can (also do a bit of research to modify existing stats for other breeds of the insects not listed* or even alien variations)
-B. if you have access to the Super Power description for CI&A, allow the use of Giant size variation (either as specific species or house ruled optional power up)
-C. depending on how you want to handle (scientific) classifications the list could also include other relatives, like Ants or flies giving you more options (possibly more useful ones)

*there are over 20,000 species of bees on Earth.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”