Selective Spells

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Selective Spells

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I had a general question. One of the players in a game I am in suggested that they can selectively decide who is or is not effected by spells. I was curious if this is actually the case in Palladium games, as I have not encountered it being permitted.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Selective Spells

Unread post by Grazzik »

I assume we're talking AoE spells. It depends which PB game you are playing and your group's play style. Nightbane has a highly dynamic/customizable way of handling magic (see TtGD) that could allow mages to cast AoE spells which target specific people in the area. There's a cost to customizing spells, but it could be an interesting twist. In other PB games, I haven't seen this type of mechanic used, but I see no reason why spellcasting rules couldn't be adjusted to reflect TtGD spell customization if it adds to the fun.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

In specific, the game is Chaos Earth, and the character wants to selectively allow us to notice them while under a spell that cloaks them in shadow.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No. You cannot selectively exclude targets in your AoE. you hit everyone, even if you don't want to, unless the text of the spell itself says otherwise. Mot that I can think of any off the top of my head that do, but it's possible there's one out there. either way, unless it says you can exclude targets from AoE, you cannot.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 pm No. You cannot selectively exclude targets in your AoE. you hit everyone, even if you don't want to, unless the text of the spell itself says otherwise. Mot that I can think of any off the top of my head that do, but it's possible there's one out there. either way, unless it says you can exclude targets from AoE, you cannot.
That is what I would think also...and the GM agreed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As house rule of mine when GMing is that if the player has the gumption to state their char's intent, I might go with that intent. Thought with something that has a physical effect AoE like an exploding fireball or meteor I agree with NS. Though if it is something like chain-lightning the intent might come into play.

Intent should come more into play when using non-combat spells, like levitation. Where the player says an intent that is slightly off the spell description, but still under the 'concept idea' of the spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:19 pm As house rule of mine when GMing is that if the player has the gumption to state their char's intent, I might go with that intent. Thought with something that has a physical effect AoE like an exploding fireball or meteor I agree with NS. Though if it is something like chain-lightning the intent might come into play.

Intent should come more into play when using non-combat spells, like levitation. Where the player says an intent that is slightly off the spell description, but still under the 'concept idea' of the spell.
That is a mighty fair house rule.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

For Chaos Earth I could see a good space for a Chaos Magic spell which toggles Friendly Fire. Game mod-themed spells would be a fun niche to fill out for that setting, to be honest.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am I had a general question. One of the players in a game I am in suggested that they can selectively decide who is or is not effected by spells. I was curious if this is actually the case in Palladium games, as I have not encountered it being permitted.
In general, I agree with what most others have posted - an area effect spell affects everyone in its area. You can't decide who is affected (unless the spell states otherwise).

I have always made an exception for one spell - though it doesn't specifically state it: Wisps of confusion (PFRPG page 206, amongst others)
The spell says it affects 2D4 people. I rule that you can choose who those people are (as long as they are within range: 90ft of the caster). That, for me, is the reason this spell is such a high level and so expensive to cast.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”