Healing Shaman variant

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Healing Shaman variant

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm considering using a different take on the above Rifts shaman type for a high powered game. The class isn't intended to have a relationship with spirits for their abilities. They're just a dedicated super healer. Among some changes to skills and the modeling of culture from the source book, I was considering swapping out fetish creation/access for a couple of things. While the ability is meant to provide items for a community to at least some extent a percentage can be kept for personal use, granting things like access to MDC effects. It's pretty potent.

I'm uncertain just what that magical item creation ability is worth in the abstract. This is the thematically related stuff which comes to mind. If you're so inclined, lend an opinion on balancing this scale.
  • Access to the Healing Psionics in Rifts Manhunters: Call to Life, Psychic Tether/Life Line, Share Pain & Suffering, Transfer Hit Points. Transfer ISP
    (This could be argued to already be grandfathered into a standard Healing Shaman, in that the class is described as gaining all Healing Psionics. YMMV)
  • Access to some of the healing magic published since the source material was published
    (Outside some Biomancy spells I don't think there's all that much. I have yet to make a list.)
  • Lessening of equipment restrictions on Shamans
    (the source material made some choices which, charitably, are problematic. I wouldn't want to see a dedicated super healer in power armor or anything, but a steel scalpel is fine)
  • Access to Mystic Herbology
    (this wouldn't include any of the Scathach metalworking, or Dryad wand/staff creation. Just the herbs, combined with some leeway to take into account a wider biome to draw upon)
  • Access to the Priest's Healing Touch, possibly limited to 1/minute or less
  • Access to some Amana RCC healing abilities, delayed by level progression
  • Access to healing-themed super powers, delayed with things like level progression, fatigue, codes of conduct, what have you.
    (I'll throw together a list of that alongside the spell list soon)
What do people think fetish creation/access to healing lodges is roughly worth?
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Re: Healing Shaman variant

Unread post by barna10 »

I wouldn't restrict Herbology at all; let them make everything. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about availability of herbs. Have the shaman spend a reasonable amount of time searching and they find "the herb they were looking for". It doesn't have to perfectly match what's in the England book.

This is a healer, not a nuke. Healing in Palladium is consistently nerfed as if keeping a character walking and alive is some how OP.

This character will have a ton of demands on their time and resources. There is little chance they will break the game no matter how much healing psionics, magics, or powers you give them.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”