Scroll Creation

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Scroll Creation

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this came up in game tonight and I can't find any definitive answer in the books. What materials does it take to create a magic scroll? Is it just any ink and any paper? Does it have to be parchment? Does it need to be blood, or specific blood, or mercury, or squid ink? Can you create a scroll on curtains with colored wax?

-Vek
"What about cross stich?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Scroll Creation

Unread post by kiralon »

Just paper, casting create scroll on paper gives you a scroll. (as per the spell pg 211)
but in saying that wizards cannot create scrolls. (above wizards occ's and abilities pg 106)
If you're a priest then divine intervention gives you the scroll.

Good luck figuring out the save which can only be 12 (Create scroll description which says spell strength doesn't go over), but is typically 13 or 14 (alchemist description) , but can be 16 if it was a ritual (create scroll description).
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yeah, paper only, as Kiralon says. You don't actually write any words - they just magically appear.

Re Kiralon's other points:
The saving throws of 12 and 16 are defined as an incantation or a ritual, so seems clear. Regarding the Alchemist's "typically 13 or 14", I think perhaps an alchemist creating scrolls is not simply them using the standard create magic scroll spell - perhaps the Alchemist has another, special way of making scrolls, not known to the wizard (just as they can somehow make magic items and weapons without us knowing the details of theses processes). I guess where it says wizards can't create scrolls, it doesn't mean they can't select the create scroll spell, but that creating scrolls is not one of their special abilities, like that of an Alchemist. This different process "needs a minimum of 24 hours", and allows an alchemist to add their spell strength to the save - and significantly, the alchemist scroll description seems to to specify that the scroll is written on parchment, while the spell can only be on paper!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Soldier of Od wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 am Yeah, paper only, as Kiralon says. You don't actually write any words - they just magically appear.

Re Kiralon's other points:
The saving throws of 12 and 16 are defined as an incantation or a ritual, so seems clear. Regarding the Alchemist's "typically 13 or 14", I think perhaps an alchemist creating scrolls is not simply them using the standard create magic scroll spell - perhaps the Alchemist has another, special way of making scrolls, not known to the wizard (just as they can somehow make magic items and weapons without us knowing the details of theses processes). I guess where it says wizards can't create scrolls, it doesn't mean they can't select the create scroll spell, but that creating scrolls is not one of their special abilities, like that of an Alchemist. This different process "needs a minimum of 24 hours", and allows an alchemist to add their spell strength to the save - and significantly, the alchemist scroll description seems to to specify that the scroll is written on parchment, while the spell can only be on paper!
One bit that I used for Alchemists is that they had sort of an improved version of the three major sciences... they could assign an alarm ward to alert someone else, whereas a standard diabolist could not, and could get a stronger spell strength on a scroll. These were theoretically possible for anyone else, but required a lot more interdisciplinary work than most could manage without being full alchemists.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I'd be surprised if Alchemists didn't use the create scroll spell due to the ease, and if the effect is a buff, the potion version of it is superior and cheaper.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:54 am Well, this came up in game tonight and I can't find any definitive answer in the books. What materials does it take to create a magic scroll? Is it just any ink and any paper? Does it have to be parchment? Does it need to be blood, or specific blood, or mercury, or squid ink? Can you create a scroll on curtains with colored wax?

-Vek
"What about cross stich?"
Is it just any ink and any paper? Unless the char is an immortallist from mystic china, yes.
defining 'paper' as any flat, rollable, writing surface. (the ancient chinese; before they thought of themselves as chinese; used bamboo scrolls to write on.)
Defining 'ink' as any marking utensil. (those Brail spell scrolls are hard to read.)

I would use the Immortalist text to give ideas about letting the physical components give a bonus to ether the scroll making or the effects of the spell when the scroll is used.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:40 pm Defining 'ink' as any marking utensil. (those Brail spell scrolls are hard to read.)
I do not believe the spell create scroll requires ink, as the spell does not mention it, only paper, and as the wizard class says it cannot makes scrolls, i think that the spell is the only way they can make them.
GoliathReturns
Wanderer

Unread post by GoliathReturns »

IMO, the spell only requires the paper, and the magic "etches" the spell onto it.

And I'd say this is the "normal" way for a wizard to create a magical scroll.

Alchemists have a different method. They CAN use the spell, and may do so to stock the shelves, so to speak. But I'd say there's a more advanced version, that they can use, to give the scroll a bit more oomph (hence the higher saves possible).

I'd put it under the generic "alchemists have figured stuff put beyond what normal magic users can do", and as such, maybe requires a bit more to do. Maybe some special inks or materials, and they actually have to write it out

--
GS
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I was answering the question as asked. And the question had the word 'ink' in it.
*shrugs* Weather or not the mage has to write the words out manually or not is up to the GM of each individual game.
-----------------
alchemists: probably have other ways to make spell scrolls that are not as PPE expensive or to make scrolls above the Spell Level restriction in the common magic spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

The only reason i disagree with needing ink is the spell says
"This magic is similar to the amulet and talisman spells in that the conjurer is able to transfer mystic energy and powers into an inanimate object. In this case, the mage can magically make the words for casting a magic spell appear on paper as a scroll. The only real limitation other than sufficient PPE is that the mage must be able to read and write. If he cannot read, he can't create a scroll."
Paper is mentioned as a requirement and ink isn't, so even if ink is part of the original question the answer is still it isn't needed. A GM can certainy rule that ink is required however.
AceTW
D-Bee

Unread post by AceTW »

Well, the same spell exists in the Rifts Book of Magic. In that edition, the text describing the process is more detailed.

"...Literate mages summon forth the energy needed and write the
words of a spell in the sand or dirt with a stick while speaking the
words aloud. The words magically appear on the paper as he writes and
speaks them. When done, the spell has been transferred to the paper
and can be read and used by anybody who can read the particular language it was written in. Because the paper or parchment has been
charged with P.P.E., anyone, fellow mage or housewife, can read the
scroll and the magic spell will be cast..."

So, it sounds like you can use regular paper, or I suppose any sort of flexible, writable material like perhaps cloth, leather, etc.
The "magically appear" bit seems to debunk the need for ink as well.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”