A weapon proficiency questions and fix

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: A weapon proficiency questions and fix

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1 the new WP is a New Skill, All new skills start @ Level 1 in the level they are acquired, making a normal progression in synchronization. with the other skills the char has.

2 armor use: each class gets it's own abilities where armor is concerned. If the meaning of the WP armor is to use spikes and of add-on bits as weapons then it might be feasible.

3 the amount of Attacks Per Melee is determined by the Hand to Hand that is chosen, not the weapons choice. Most of the PF chars I use mostly swords or staves/spears as their melee weapons, with daggers and knives coming in close after. I only have 'maybe' 2 or three chars in all the PB settings, that use a battle axe as their main weapon.

4 there are optional rules available in one of the rifters that let chars specialize, using their 'Skill Slots' to up the level of skills at char creation. Also using skill slots to gain special abilities, like weapon specializations and weapon masteries.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
OldGeek
D-Bee

Unread post by OldGeek »

I rather like the idea of a skill point system, not sure how easy it'll be to get the number of points just right though.

It breaks the "I learned this skill at level 1 and have never used it but I've still managed to get damn good with it" and the thing where you learn WP Blunt at say, 4th level, and will NEVER be as good with your mace as you are with the sword you learned at level one, even if you never touch a sword again after you learned to use maces/blunt. The little logic holes.

Not a fan of WP Armour... doesn't feel right to me, but that's just me.

Most people I play with these days pick their weapons based on their rp concept, not damage. When I was younger there were a fair number of folk who did like to pick the best, one-handed, weapon damage, of their favourite class of weapon, but battle axes weren't really that common. They were always the best "one handed" weapon due to the paired weapons advantage... I don't think I can remember someone using a two-hander unless it was a rune-weapon that did enough damage that they didn't mind the loss of paired... I haven't found a nice, simple, way to fix the fact that damage is the only major defining trait for weapons, in this game, as yet. Don't need to with my current group though, so it's not like I'm really thinking hard on it.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
4 there are optional rules available in one of the rifters that let chars specialize, using their 'Skill Slots' to up the level of skills at char creation. Also using skill slots to gain special abilities, like weapon specializations and weapon masteries.

Which one kitty? Can you post any more info on this pls?

Couldnt have a WP armour (its not a weapon). You'd have to invent the "Armour use" skill. Im against it.
The less bonuses and rules Im calculating for combat the better. I'll retract that, you need bonuses but what I mean is anything that slows down combat Im against. I like combat to be very quick as its the last focus of my gaming. Hope if you invent the skill it could be easily incorporated.

I also like the no extra's for being a small weapon. Having been trained IRL to use knives, swords and staves Ive found very little difference in speed once you're practiced
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

twhaley wrote:
I also like the no extra's for being a small weapon. Having been trained IRL to use knives, swords and staves Ive found very little difference in speed once you're practiced

It's just my opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree, Dark Elf. As a fencing instructor for about 7 years now, I've noticed a speed difference between the epee and the lighter foil (and that's a very minor weight differance). So, I would think that a dagger could get in at least 2 attacks by the time a big sword was swung around.

Ah ha perhaps you may have a point in that case for I have trained in chinese broadsword (looks similar to a falchoin) and the majority of attacks are full blade slashes with a few jab/thrusts therefore you strike as fast as you can "spin" the wepaon (batton style) which is very fast. Thrusting with a saber would indeed be slower.

TY for the rifter info to buudy, ma!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

Necro post. Shredder in TMNT has WP Armor, but it doesn't list bonuses. It is a thing though (I've treated it equivalent to WP Knife, cuz wrist blades are the equivalent to knives in other Palladium properties).
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Skill point systems probably more realistically depict actual real-world skill progression.

The problem is that not every OCC starts with the same number of skills, let alone gets new skills at the same amount as they progress.

Pick a skill point number that's too low, & the majority of OCCs will get screwed because it will be impossible to mirror the standard skill progression. Pick a skill point number that's too high, & OCCs with a lower number of skills will suddenly start advancing even faster, which then leaves the other OCCs in the lurch.

To keep it fair, I'd almost say that the skill points vary from OCC to OCC, but should be based on the number of skills they start off with, multiplied by the new level (i.e. you start off with 20 skills, then at 4th level you get 80 skill points to parcel out), with additional skill points added that correspond to when they normally get new skills (x2 for OCC Related, x1 for Secondaries). Learning a new skill as a Secondary (no bonus) costs 1 point, learning it as a Related skill (with or without bonus) costs 2 points. Bumping up to the next level costs as many skill points as the level in question (i.e. going from 2nd to 3rd costs 3 skill points). Beyond that, I think it would get too complex.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”