The spell Consume Power & Knowledge

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The spell Consume Power & Knowledge

Unread post by darthauthor »

Rifts Book of Magic
Page 190

The Necromancer's spell Consume Power & Knowledge

If a necromancer uses this to eat the brain of a spell caster like a ley line walker or Paladium Fantasy Wizard or such
Can they temperorially gain the spells the original owner knew?
GoliathReturns
Wanderer

Re: The spell Consume Power & Knowledge

Unread post by GoliathReturns »

darthauthor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 pm Rifts Book of Magic
Page 190

If a necromancer uses this to eat the brain of a spell caster like a ley line walker or Paladium Fantasy Wizard or such
It specifically says "skills". You don't get any other knowledge the being had.

-GS
Personally, I prefer liver, with Fava beans and a nice chianti.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As said the text only allows for "skills" (all at 60%) and not spell knowledge. That might be useful though when doing magic based skills gained from the OCC (ex. PF's Wizard skills pg106-7 maybe the Enchanted Cauldron at a glance, or Recognize Magic or Recognize enchantment) which given are skills and the skills are flat (all at 60%) they might end up being better at it than the original character depending on level/skill-progression & IQ bonus.

That said the only Death-Mage that I know of (off hand) that can absorb spell knowledge is the Soul Harvester OCC (WB12 pg17-20, strictly speaking it's supposed to be an NPC only class), and that requires them to acquire the mage's "soul" (they also get a Xombie in the process IIRC).

Now you could house rule something to allow spells (psi or super powers) to be considered "skills" since the character has to spend time learning to use them efficiently. But that would have to be a house rule and is not an official rule.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

The Consume Power & Knowledge spell won't allow you to use the spell magic of the deceased, but if you're looking for something that will, check out the power circle of Knowledge in Palladium Fantasy, or the Cannibal Mage O.C.C. in Rifter 52.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The level thirteen Demon Magic spell Heart of Darkness (Dimension Book 12, Dimensional Outbreak, pg 190) steals spells and PPE from a murdered caster.

One might consider dropping the PPE penalty Necromancers have in casting non-Necromancy spells with respect to Soulmancy and Demon Magic. Perhaps just file them under the list of Invocations similarly not subject to an increased casting cost.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Curbludgeon,

I like your ideas

I feel that all spells relating to dead things the necromancer ought to be able to cast without penality.
That would include dead flesh and blood.
Maybe spirit stuff too.
The soul mancy stuff would probably overlap.
I guess I just like the idea of them being able to keep souls in a jar.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

darthauthor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:40 pm Rifts Book of Magic
Page 190

Haven't been touching this topic with a 10' poll cause necro spells are not my forte (don't want them in my head), and my RBoM was way over in the bookshelf....but I went and got it out for a different topic....so its here...so I'm answering the OP Q.

No, it only gives out skills.

Spells are not skills.

While the spell might give the eater the Prin. Of Magic %. It would only be effective if the eaten's % is higher than the eater's. If it is higher than the eater's, then the eater, to use that higher % effectively, would need to have the spell scrolls lined up for 'spell scroll conversion' for while the higher % lasts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”