Impervious to Energy

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Impervious to Energy

Unread post by darthauthor »

The Spell Impervious to Energy from the Book of Magic page 113.

Does it protect before or after MD armor?

I mean if the player casts it on NPC with MD armor.
Then are shot by CS grunt with an energy Rifle.
Does the armor take damage first then the character is immune or does the spell also protect the armor and clothes?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Impervious to Energy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:52 pm The Spell Impervious to Energy from the Book of Magic page 113.

Does the armor take damage first then the character is immune or does the spell also protect the armor and clothes?
Good question!

I've always assumed yes, however, reading closely, the spell itself does not say, while Impervious to Fire does specifically clarify that anything the caster is wearing/on their person is also immune.
I would still say the intention was that it covers armor/wearables, but a strict rules lawyer could argue otherwise.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

darthauthor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:52 pm The Spell Impervious to Energy from the Book of Magic page 113.

In Rifts...

If Cast on the MDC Armor, yes.

Part of the equation that was misinterpreted (or left out of the thought process) was the bit about how MDC stuff blocks (most) magic, in Rifts. So, for the most part, the only part of the NPC that magic can be cast on, is its MDC armor.

Armor is ether SDC or MDC.
Damage is ether SD or MD.
See the pattern?
There have been times I wish that PB would take a good proofreader and edit all the " SDC damage"s and the "MDC Damage"s to SD and MD respectively. So they can look good, instead of having legacy wording needing to be updated.

I will have to say this is the 1st time I've seen (that I can remember) the typical mistake inverted.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

I'm trying to be fair.

IF the spell can be cast upon armor, can it be cast on vehicles and power armor?

IF it does work the way of being cast upon armor, does a head shot or hand shot kill a guy?

GM's or players choice?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Imp. to E is on page 210 in RUE.

If the EBA has Imp. E cast on it, than the armor does not get damaged by energy attacks, while the spell is in effect. Head shots don't by-pass the Imp.E protections unless the character was stupid and took off their helmet.

Why would hitting the hand with an energy attack kill the character? It's not like getting hit with rail gun rounds that would bounce back and forth inside the armor.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The spell Impervious to Energy would protect anything the character is wearing or holding (w/n reason of course) IMHO.

So if an NPC had ItE cast on them and then was shot by an energy weapon, the ItE enchantment would be at the top of the stack (so ItE, then MD armor, then the NPC's body). And itE would also cover any/all limbs.

Technically a TW could enchant a vehicle or power armor to work with ItE as a TW device (and is a feature option), however I'm going to assume you don't mean this way. Size isn't really an issue as an Adult Dragon still gets full protection for them enchantment (nothing indicates that the Dragon gets an ItE "leotard" in terms of coverage) weather they cast it themself or another cast it on them. However the wording of the text would seem to preclude something like a vehicle but would allow a Power Armor (though something that is more "vehiclular" than body armor might be exempt).
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks

With regards to ones hand being shot.
I meant if they had Imperivous to Energy on their armor and were not wearing their gloves/guantlets, just like not wearing a helmet.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Yep you left that bit out of your post.

If the char has a glove off then there is no seal vs the magic, so the magic can be cast on the char.
--
If cast on the char the enchantment, as per a strict reading of the text, does not protect the char's stuff.
However, with most GMs, the GMs as a part of their house rules make the spell protect what the stuff char is wearing. There might also be a official Q&A in one of the rifters about situations like this.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

The spell is cast on self ... or "others by ritual". It says nothing about casting on inanimate objects. TWs may be able to add to armor as a feature, but the spell as written neither allows or prohibits this form of use for ordinary mages. It's a GM's call, but given the need for a ritual, I'd say no. I've always seen this played similar to a superpower... it protects the person, not their stuff. Presumably, the ritual would require a person to remove armor to participate as the non-organic components of the armor might impact the ritual's energies.

Otherwise, as a Rifts setting side note, why would factions such as the CS rely so much on energy weapons when their magical Tolkeen or FoM opponents could just make themselves impervious to energy attacks? It's only a six level spell. I could see the "berserker" type going out onto a battlefield wearing nothing but a loincloth and war paint, engaging deadboys in H2H as laserfire proves ineffective. But to allow it to generally be cast on armor seems a bit too munchkin.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My rule of thumb is that it will cover personal armor (including environmental), but it won't cover power armor.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”