Remembering Charms

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Remembering Charms

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was wondering how a PC would remember being charmed, hypnotized, or the like well after it happened. Usually, those mind control tactics are used to push a character into something he or she wouldn't do naturally, or even something that the PC would normally refuse to do. But after the effect of the power has worn off, then what? Does the PC wonder why he or she had that feeling? Does the PC wonder why he or she did that unusual action? Do they just accept that for some reasion they did what they did because they found the caster particularly charismatic and don't question it?

-Vek
"Insert memory is a different concern.'
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Remembering Charms

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I tend to go with "anomalous emotional response"... you don't necessarily know WHY you liked them that much for then, but you know you did it. And, TBH, I think a lot of people in Palladium would jump to "They must be a witch who charmed me!"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think it has to operate that way. Else, you would have people just hypnotizing others into giving up inheritances, signing bad contracts, marrying people, etc.. I think the way The Purple Man was portrayed in Jessica Jones is a good guide. You are under the influence and then remember it and can change your mind or act knowing that you were coerced by something other than a convincing argument.

-Vek
"Better not stick around for that charm to wear off."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In a way, Charms are very effective if you don't know the person. I have cobblers use them that way; you charm the person, then say hi, and treat them relatively OK, and you get what you want and they don't hate you for it (it's not terribly clear to you why you took to them immediately, but that's your only emotional response to them). Over time, the Charm becomes automatic... you don't even need to cast it, because they like you.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The title really should be more like 'Remembering Being Charmed'

Yep, the people do remember the time of when they are charmed.
As to reactions.....they'd range from *shrug* to *linch mob* depending on the personality of the person and the culture of the village/town/city.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”