Mystic China Martial Art Abilities and Powers

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prodigy
Explorer

Mystic China Martial Art Abilities and Powers

Unread post by Prodigy »

Apologies if this has been addressed but I noticed in Mystic China the Martial Arts Abilites and Powers do NOT mention thy can be traded for Skill Programs as in NS&S.

Has anyone determined contrary? Can I trade my Martial Arts Abilities of Tiger Claw Kung Fu for a skill program as I could with Aikido?

Thanks!
sine yo pity on da runny kind
green.nova343
Adventurer

Re: Mystic China Martial Art Abilities and Powers

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Probably not, for a couple of reasons:

1) Mystic China makes a (IMHO weird) distinction between "mystical" martial arts & "physical" martial arts, implying that only certain MA forms have a metaphysical aspect to them.

2) The Rifts setting, unlike N&SS/HU/BTS1, doesn't have actual "skill programs". It doesn't even have anything like "pick 5 skills from category X", let alone "pick this list of 4-6 specific skills".

#2 could be adapted, as you could always say a skill program would be 4-6 skills from a particular category (maybe even have the player roll, like 1D3+3 or 1D4+2). #1...I don't know if there's much of a way around that, unless you go back & pull in the N&SS versions of the MA forms instead of the Mystic China versions. To be honest, that needs a lot more work, if for no other reason to make it more compatible with the conversions in WB8 (Rifts Japan)...where the Martial Arts Powers/Abilities are tied into a character's O.C.C. instead of their MA form.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”