Any of you ever retire a Juicer mid campaign?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Any of you ever retire a Juicer mid campaign?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Or do you usually try to save and convert them?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
!REAPER!
D-Bee
Comment: I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Re: Any of you ever retire a Juicer mid campaign?

Unread post by !REAPER! »

One of my players had his character make it through Juicer Detoxification & become a headhunter. He played a few more times but then quit gaming.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I've retired a lot of Juicers. Just need enough missiles.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i've always felt that retiring a juicer is the duty of a GM, myself.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Orin J. wrote:i've always felt that retiring a juicer is the duty of a GM, myself.

Making choices for a character is the duty of the person playing it. The GM should not be retiring/making choices for PCs.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

Honestly, I greatly increase the amount of time they get. Five+<random> years is ridiculously goofy, especially for a class that isn't nearly as powerful or over-the-top as oodles of other classes.

Knowing you're going to die before you reach middle-age is just as germane to the roleplaying aspect of the class as "you're going to die any second now" is, but keeps the character more playable for longer campaigns. It's still going to make people think twice before undergoing the procedure, and only the desperate, ignorant, or those who already expect to die young would really go for it under most circumstances. And yes, that includes prisoners with life sentences agreeing to it in order to get out early, too.

The fact that they're gung-ho about battle also means most of them are going to die well before the drugs have a chance to do it, too. It's not like most juicers manage to make it to the end of their 5+ year life expectancy as is.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Crimson Dynamo wrote:Honestly, I greatly increase the amount of time they get. Five+<random> years is ridiculously goofy, especially for a class that isn't nearly as powerful or over-the-top as oodles of other classes.

Knowing you're going to die before you reach middle-age is just as germane to the roleplaying aspect of the class as "you're going to die any second now" is, but keeps the character more playable for longer campaigns. It's still going to make people think twice before undergoing the procedure, and only the desperate, ignorant, or those who already expect to die young would really go for it under most circumstances. And yes, that includes prisoners with life sentences agreeing to it in order to get out early, too.

The fact that they're gung-ho about battle also means most of them are going to die well before the drugs have a chance to do it, too. It's not like most juicers manage to make it to the end of their 5+ year life expectancy as is.

I think it is more about the stress on the body than how OP they are. Given how rare it is in games i have played for a juicer to reach burn out, it is clearly a RP plot device and not a limit that players often have to deal with.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

Yes, I know. Which is what I both said and directly inferred.

Dying early at ~45 due to the "stress on the body" is just as narratively reflective of the process as dying in five years. One just keeps them playable in long campaigns while retaining exactly the same flavor, the other does not. The point about being OP had to do with the discussion from a metagaming point of view, as it's equally as silly to give them such a crippling drawback when they don't warrant it compared to other character options.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Crimson Dynamo wrote:Yes, I know. Which is what I both said and directly inferred.

Dying early at ~45 due to the "stress on the body" is just as narratively reflective of the process as dying in five years. One just keeps them playable in long campaigns while retaining exactly the same flavor, the other does not. The point about being OP had to do with the discussion from a metagaming point of view, as it's equally as silly to give them such a crippling drawback when they don't warrant it compared to other character options.

But having them die in a little over 5 years from drug over dose makes it sound more significant than letting them live for 20 years. Also say the character got juiced at 44 setting a age of death means he dies in a year.
The time is long enough to show pressure but not to short as to remove them from most campaigns.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have only had a few players choose to run juicers, most who are looking for an augmented human go borg, and most of those players only played a few weeks or months so never got a chance.

I had one juicer PC who decided to detox at I think 3 and a half after the juicer uprising and I believe he went headhunter.

I also had a juicer from Rifts Earth in a Phase World game in college. The game only last about 8 months real world but it went something like 8 or 9 years in game. Instead of detoxing that character used a salvage stasis pod putting himself in stasis for the weeks or months of travel time so at the end of the game he was still some time from last call, or would have been except I believe he was killed towards the end.

I do agree that last call and detox are usually a narrative device but I think it really adds to the OCC and I love how that made way for the Juicer Uprising.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

I had a Mega-Juicer get hit with an Age Spell and go BOOM that brought about the "Last Call." effect. Hung on to the demon mage and went boom taking him with me.

Return to “Rifts®”