No Love For Base Classes...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HWalsh
Hero

Re: No Love For Base Classes...

Unread post by HWalsh »

Hotrod wrote:
HWalsh wrote:Even the least evil CS member is all about Genocide. Coake is going to oppose it. Anyone with the least bit of common sense and a moral compassion would.

Citation needed. Please provide some canon reference to the effect that all citizens of the CS are "all about genocide."

Also, and this is a minor semantic point, I don't think the slaughter of other species is properly called genocide. Xenocide might be a more fitting term. Of course, if those species are sentient, there's probably not much moral difference.

They are indoctrinated at a very young age, and kept ignorant due to poor education to believe that all Deebees are a threat and need to be wiped out. This is the incredible majority of CS citizens. Voicing an opposing viewpoint can get you imprisoned or executed. So either they believe it, or they're not willing to stand against it, either way that makes them complicit.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

HWalsh wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
HWalsh wrote:Even the least evil CS member is all about Genocide. Coake is going to oppose it. Anyone with the least bit of common sense and a moral compassion would.

Citation needed. Please provide some canon reference to the effect that all citizens of the CS are "all about genocide."

Also, and this is a minor semantic point, I don't think the slaughter of other species is properly called genocide. Xenocide might be a more fitting term. Of course, if those species are sentient, there's probably not much moral difference.

They are indoctrinated at a very young age, and kept ignorant due to poor education to believe that all Deebees are a threat and need to be wiped out. This is the incredible majority of CS citizens. Voicing an opposing viewpoint can get you imprisoned or executed. So either they believe it, or they're not willing to stand against it, either way that makes them complicit.

One possibly objection:
A lot of D-Bees aren't willing to stand against it either, and live under CS rule.
Were they also complicit in genocide?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Speciocide is probably the most accurate word for the systematic eradication of a species. One could argue eidocide would also apply, with the spelling of such being somewhat in flux. Genocide really only applies to a given people or "race", while xenocide necessarily defines the species in question as foreign. which wouldn't be a useful distinction in the abstract. An activist opposed to the eradication of their own species wouldn't use xenocide, for example. Additionally, sapience is a more useful criterion than sentience for this purpose. Cats and dogs are sentient, while great apes, cetaceans, and elephants are better described as sapient in addition to sentient.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

genocide also applies to cultures. there are plenty of human cultures that the CS either would like to wipe out, are attempting to wipe out, or have already wiped out. so whether you want to get all technical about precisely how the wholesale murder of non-humans purely on the basis of them being non-human or not should be defined, the CS is totally into genocide.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

HWalsh wrote:Though him hating the CS makes sense. They're Nazis. Nazis are evil with little to no redeeming values save for those who leave it. They're the big bad of North America. Coake is uber good. They're bound to clash.

The CS is certainly big, and they're certainly bad. I'm not sure if a "the big bad" paradigm fits them all that well, though, considering that North America is also the site of:

1. Vampire kingdoms who treat people as cattle. Also, their intelligences.
2. Xiticix that are far more territorial and hostile to other sentient life forms than the Coalition.
3. Much of the Splugorth's favorite slave-catching grounds
4. The Federation of Magic (where skulls aren't just a symbol, especially in SoulHarvest)
5. The Mechanoid Invasion
6. Two simultaneous invasions from Hell.
7. ARCHIE 3.
8. The Pecos Empire, a loose collection of bandit gangs.
9. Permanent rifts where more crazy threats can and do emerge on an ongoing basis.

Can the lesser of ~10 evils be still "the big bad?" I've certainly played the CS that way both as a player and a GM, and Coalition soldiers and cops can make great villains. I'm just not sure that I'd put them in the same category as Sauron/Voldemort/Palpatine.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:

World Book 11 Page 45 wrote:"The average CS citizen is militant and cold-hearted when it comes to the protection of their race, nation and lifestyle. They have allowed themselves to be convinced that all D-bees and aliens are evil monsters who threaten their existence."

Hotrod wrote:Also, and this is a minor semantic point, I don't think the slaughter of other species is properly called genocide. Xenocide might be a more fitting term. Of course, if those species are sentient, there's probably not much moral difference.

And you would be wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide_definitions
I will just hit the high points here

The person who coined the term said this
Raphael Lemkin,Axis Rule in Occupied Europe ix. 79 wrote: "By "genocide" we mean the destruction of an ethnic group…. Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups…. "

The first court case for the crime of Genocide stated
Count 3 of the indictment of the 24 Nazi leaders at the Nuremberg Trials wrote: "They (the defendants) conducted deliberate and systematic genocide—viz., the extermination of racial and national groups—against the civilian populations of certain occupied territories in order to destroy particular races and classes of people, and national, racial or religious groups, particularly Jews, Poles, Gypsies and others."

And most tellingly...
quite literally the international, legal definition of the word,
The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG) wrote: "Any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group. (Article 2 CPPCG)"

I feel safe in saying that if
The person who coined the term
The first court case involving the crime.
AND
The international, legal definition of the word
As well as multiple other scholars and sources
ALL disagree with you... that you are wrong.

I get that people want to argue that the CS is not engaged in Genocide but something else.
But they are quite literally fulfilling every single charge of the CPPCG.
The CS is engaged in Genocide.
Full Stop.
Last edited by eliakon on Sun May 19, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
HWalsh wrote:Though him hating the CS makes sense. They're Nazis. Nazis are evil with little to no redeeming values save for those who leave it. They're the big bad of North America. Coake is uber good. They're bound to clash.

The CS is certainly big, and they're certainly bad. I'm not sure if a "the big bad" paradigm fits them all that well, though, considering that North America is also the site of:

2. Xiticix that are far more territorial and hostile to other sentient life forms than the Coalition.
4. The Federation of Magic (where skulls aren't just a symbol, especially in SoulHarvest)
7. ARCHIE 3.
9. Permanent rifts where more crazy threats can and do emerge on an ongoing basis.

Can the lesser of ~10 evils be still "the big bad?" I've certainly played the CS that way both as a player and a GM, and Coalition soldiers and cops can make great villains. I'm just not sure that I'd put them in the same category as Sauron/Voldemort/Palpatine.

I am sorry but trying to claim that the Nazi Empire isn't a problem because there are some other problems is pretty much a joke. at best.
#3, #9 would excuse ANYTHING (and is an example of whataboitisim as well)
Bonus points for #9 that so far the worst things from the Rifts have been... a few gods and AIs. The CS follows the pattern of most of the evil empires are homegrown evil.

#5 is OVER. Everyone agreed that they were bad and stomped them

#6 is a joke The forces there have no idea what they are doing and as has been pointed out in many threads basically this is just another "ho hum yet another generic problem" and not an end of the world event.

#7 is a joke Archie as "master evil" is beyond laughable. The best he can do right now is run a business and play god to some robotic warrior chicks. He is not a threat to North America.

#8 is, just that a loose collection of bandits not a unified nation of genocide

#4 is another loose collection of people... it would be like saying "the Nazis are not bad because if we add up all the atrocities of ALL the colonial countries they might collectively equal them"

That leaves just #1 and #2
And you know what...
NO ONE tries to white wash the Vampires and claim they are good, or misunderstood. They are recognized for what they are.
NO ONE tries to white wash the Xictic and claim they are good or misunderstood. They are recognized for what they are.
But a group of genocidal fanatics, who run around in black, wear skulls and were explicitly based on the Nazis... are just "misunderstood"
:?
Last edited by eliakon on Sun May 19, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

eliakon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

World Book 11 Page 45 wrote:"The average CS citizen is militant and cold-hearted when it comes to the protection of their race, nation and lifestyle. They have allowed themselves to be convinced that all D-bees and aliens are evil monsters who threaten their existence."

Hotrod wrote:Also, and this is a minor semantic point, I don't think the slaughter of other species is properly called genocide. Xenocide might be a more fitting term. Of course, if those species are sentient, there's probably not much moral difference.

And you would be wrong.

Raphael Lemkin,Axis Rule in Occupied Europe ix. 79 wrote: "By "genocide" we mean the destruction of an ethnic group…. Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups…. "

Count 3 of the indictment of the 24 Nazi leaders at the Nuremberg Trials wrote: "They (the defendants) conducted deliberate and systematic genocide—viz., the extermination of racial and national groups—against the civilian populations of certain occupied territories in order to destroy particular races and classes of people, and national, racial or religious groups, particularly Jews, Poles, Gypsies and others."

And most tellingly...
The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG) wrote: "Any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group. (Article 2 CPPCG)"

AND

I get that people want to argue that the CS is not engaged in Genocide but something else.
Full Stop.

All of those quotes refer to groups of human beings and were not given in the context of members of other species being considered people. Kudos on the quote research, though. As I said, it's a semantic point that doesn't make much of a difference morality-wise unless you consider non-human people to be less than human people (I don't... mostly. There are some seriously nasty non-human entities that I would consider to be of far less worth in Rifts: Vampires and intelligent supernatural predators/demons/dyvals, for example)
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

eliakon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

7. ARCHIE 3.

I am sorry but trying to claim that the Nazi Empire isn't a problem because there are some other problems is pretty much a joke. at best.

(snipping out good, but irrelevant points)

NO ONE tries to white wash the Vampires and claim they are good, or misunderstood. They are recognized for what they are.
NO ONE tries to white wash the Xictic and claim they are good or misunderstood. They are recognized for what they are.
But a group of genocidal fanatics, who run around in black, wear skulls and were explicitly based on the Nazis... are just "misunderstood"
:help:

Read the bolded part above. I'm not white washing anything. The CS is big and bad. They are a problem. I'm saying that there are bad guys aplenty in North America and presenting the CS as "the" villains of the setting doesn't seem to fit the setting as presented. Whether they seem better or worse than any of the other threats I mentioned depends greatly upon one's point of view. Thus, implying that they are some kind of monolithic epitome of all that is evil in the setting doesn't seem valid to me.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

One of the things that I've always loved about the Rifts setting was that PCs are basically put into a situation where Nazis are on one side,
Demons are on the other,
and the PCs have to either pick a side, or go it alone caught between those two forces.

It's not exactly a no-win situation, but it's certainly hard to stay morally pure.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:genocide also applies to cultures. there are plenty of human cultures that the CS either would like to wipe out, are attempting to wipe out, or have already wiped out. so whether you want to get all technical about precisely how the wholesale murder of non-humans purely on the basis of them being non-human or not should be defined, the CS is totally into genocide.

Totally, I agree.
It's not un-understandable, and it's not without reason, but there's NO way they're NOT genocidal.
They want to exterminate or chase every non-human sapient species off the face of the planet (except maybe slave races like Dog Boys), and that's definitely genocide.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
Spoiler:
eliakon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

And you would be wrong.

And most tellingly...

AND

Full Stop.

All of those quotes refer to groups of human beings and were not given in the context of members of other species being considered people.

Irrelevant and factually wrong.
First
The CS does wipe out human cultures and human religions.
Full Stop.
I will not sit by and let people try justify genocide by making false claims.
Second, even if they didn't (which they totally do and this is stated in canon so there is no way to argue it)
the definitions of the crime do not say "Human races" "human cultures" "Human religions"
They state "races" "cultures" "Religions" no qualifiers. They do not need a context that says "but if we find other species you can tots wipe them out no prob because they don't count.
So once again you are flat out wrong.

I get that some people want to desperately defend the Nazis CS even if I don't understand it.
Hotrod wrote: Kudos on the quote research, though. As I said, it's a semantic point that doesn't make much of a difference morality-wise unless you consider non-human people to be less than human people (I don't... mostly. There are some seriously nasty non-human entities that I would consider to be of far less worth in Rifts: Vampires and intelligent supernatural predators/demons/dyvals, for example)

No it is NOT just a semantic point and it DOES matter morally.
It is important because the false claim that the "The CS does not engage in Genocide" is used as a defense of the CS by revisionists and apologists.
The fact of the matter is that the CS does engage in genocide. They may ALSO engage in what you want to call other things too...
It also allows for justifications of the CS actions to D-bees and other atrocities.
I will not sit by and let this go uncorrected.

EDIT: Also this is no longer on base classes, but the perennial defense of the CS and the perennial attempt to redefine Genocide. I suggest that as this is totally off topic that the entire sub-thread be moved to its own thread or simply dropped