Cure Insanity

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Cure Insanity

Unread post by Mack »

My memory is playing tricks on me...

I thought there was a Cure Insanity spell, but I can't find it. Anyone have a reference?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Cure Insanity

Unread post by Nightmask »

I know I've heard of it, no idea where it was I saw it though.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I personally don't know of any Cure Insanity spell. I looked at the Invocation list in Magic & Psionics forum, but didn't see it listed. Also checked the Rifter spell list and didn't see it there either. The only listing I found for "Insanity" is Temporary Insanity from the Nightbane main book (I think that's what the abbreviation was for). It's possible those who made the two lists missed some spells though.

I do know there's a Super Psionic in the PF2 main book (and possibly some other books) for Cure Insanity. Is it possible that you're thinking of that?

That's all I have for now. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

There's a Ludicrous spell that can cure phobias, but that's it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

My brain is saying maybe something in Circle Magic, but I don't have my books to check right now.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. I personally don't know of any Cure Insanity spell. I looked at the Invocation list in Magic & Psionics forum, but didn't see it listed. Also checked the Rifter spell list and didn't see it there either. The only listing I found for "Insanity" is Temporary Insanity from the Nightbane main book (I think that's what the abbreviation was for). It's possible those who made the two lists missed some spells though.

I do know there's a Super Psionic in the PF2 main book (and possibly some other books) for Cure Insanity. Is it possible that you're thinking of that?

That's all I have for now. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

PF2 Super Psionic. That was it. Thanks for the assist. :ok:

But that kills the idea I had for a TW helmet that provides temporary relief to Crazies.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There's very little in canon that I'm aware of that can outright cure insanity. Doing it through psionics is both expensive and has no guarantee of success. The only surefire cure to insanity I know of is in the Palladium Fantasy book, Island at the Edge of the World. There is one (maybe two) crystal devices that can cure insanity with a simple non-permanent I.S.P. expenditure.

Causing insanity, though... that's everywhere.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mack wrote:
Prysus wrote:

But that kills the idea I had for a TW helmet that provides temporary relief to Crazies.

Might want to check WB8 Japan and the Ninja Crazy and Juicer classes, there maybe indirect ways to go about it given these classes have some way to manage the downsides of these two classes in NA.

However if your looking for Spell suggestions that could provide some relief (all pg references are BoM) with the spell retuned/focused (ex Carpet of Adhesion for sticky tires in RUE) and possibly part of a chain:
Mindshatter (pg142), Mental Shock (pg117), Wisps of Confusion (pg126), Compulsion (pg111), Domination (pg105), Charm (pg104), Trance (pg103).

Alternatively one could target specific afflictions directly on a case by case basis (ex TW goggles that don't allow one to notice the spiders, if they have a fear of spiders).

And TW can work with Psychic Powers (WB9 establishes the Amaki TW Psi-Blade as a joint Gizmoteer and TW device), so a solo TW can not do it, but with the right help (Gizmoteer or Vernulian Psi-TW or someone from Psycape's "TW" academy) they might be able to do it. The hard part would be figuring out what gems (under RUE) would be required.
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

You could allow a PC spellcaster to create such a spell if you wanted. Either use the existing rules for creating new spells, which IIRC are in one of the Nightbane books ("Through the Glass Darkly" might be the name of it....or it's similar to that and I confused the two because I don't own any Nightbane books that I know of), or come up with your own.
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Mack wrote:
Prysus wrote:

What about a Gizmoteer Helmet then?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Nightmask wrote:
Mack wrote:
Prysus wrote:

Sadly I don't have that book. And using a Super Psionic from PF2 is a bit longer of a stretch than I was looking for.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Mack wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Mack wrote:
Prysus wrote:

PF2 Super Psionic. That was it. Thanks for the assist. :ok

Sadly I don't have that book. And using a Super Psionic from PF2 is a bit longer of a stretch than I was looking for.

Just give them a big pink teddy bear and tell them it is a magic cure for insanity.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

arguably "beat insurmountable odds" can do pretty much anything, for a short period of time at least.

you may also be able to make a variety of custom versions; an obessive behaviour might be possible to counteract with the level 6 spell compulsion. phobias, there's a standard psionic power for fear i think, you could make a gizmoteer device for that. you might be able to alter their perceptions using a modified charismatic aura for deception as well (or somehow twist it to make them "trust" the thing they have a phobia of, counteracting it). trance might be able to shut down a split personality. maybe make a spell chain with frequency jamming (it is now mentally jamming insanities instead of radio jamming). invulnerability gives +10 to resist horror factor, might be another good option for phobias. you could probably pull off some spell chains with exorcism as well. hallucination can mess with their senses entirely, which could be useful. magical-adrenal rush literally makes you immune to horror factor, possession, and mind control. purge self/purge other might be another good spell to consider for spell chains. you might be able to use id alter ego to force elements of the character's mind out.

i think there's also a spell from nightbane (it's called "someone makes them", a level 15 ritual from through the glass, darkly) that might allow what you're looking for, though i would expect while the effect would be permanent, the benefits would not (that is, i think you could cure their insanities with it - though if you don't have one hell of a good idea what you're doing i think you would also have a very large chance of causing worse damage - but the implants would eventually cause them to go crazy again)
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I thought I remembered a spell doing this too but I think it only suppressed the insanity for a short time. Of course I can not remember for the life of me where I read/saw this.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The 15th level ritual "Someone Makes Them" on Nightbane World Book 3 (Through the Glass Darkly) page 63 allows you to reconstruct people's personalities. It mentions with a successful IQ roll (in addition to target failing save) it can "implant or remove psychopathic urges or other insanities".

"Other" is not "all" of course, and this is supported by the subsequent mention: "implant or remove obsessions".

Obsession is a Palladium category of Insanity, so there would be no need to mention this if the prior note referred to all insanities. Aside from "psychopathic urges" that first note may have just meant "other psychopathic insanities" if we extend the adjective.

Another limit here is this mentions "by restructuring, replacing and deleting all of their memories of their formative experiences". The "formative" limitation might limit you only to dealing with insanities based on childhood trauma, and prevent dealing with post-formative insanity.

The grammar there is a bit confusing to me... if you are "deleting all of their memories" then what would you be restructuring/replacing? I suppose deletion is a form of "restructure". The order is off though, shouldn't it be "restructuring: deleting then replacing" ?

Would it be possible to restore some of the formative experiences? Would you need to know about them or could you leave them intact? Not sure. Unless you knew a lot about person (Mind Bond could be useful there) building a close enough facsimile for them to function in their old life might be impossible.

Also of interest is TTGD 70's 14th level ritual "Mindsculpt". You can remove whole chunks of memory so even though insanity is not specified, presumably if you got an insanity as a result of a horrific experience, if you removed that horrific experience, it removes the insanity? Not sure.

The 15th level "Reconstructive Restoration" ritual is the best bet. TTGD 71 says "allows the caster to surgically .. cure all insanities, etc., placing the offending afflictions in jars for future inspection"

Still haven't found the temporary version you refer to though.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Cure insanity is a power of a Controller Star on p93 of Island at the Edge of the World. It costs 90 I.S.P. and is permanent, with no saving throw/resistance given. This power is also available from a Controller Wheel (p97) and the Crystal Fortress (p98).

As far as I know, this is the only surefire way to cure insanity in canon.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Rifts®”