Rune weapons and other SDC/MDC weapon question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grymmheart
D-Bee

Rune weapons and other SDC/MDC weapon question

Unread post by Grymmheart »

Several OOCs and also rune weapons have attacks that do base SDC damage, but also MDC damage vs supernatural beings/etc. Are robots and MDC armor considered "supernatural" and take MDC damage? Or do Samurai swords and other rune weapons not damage the robot/armor?
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Rune weapons and other SDC/MDC weapon question

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Officially I believe mdc tech equipment does Not count as supernatural so those magic weapons do jack to them.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Yep. This came up recently in a question about the Traditional Samurai OCC from the Japan book. A Samurai who hates and rebukes technology. His swords which just like him, hate technology, and have the power to drop fistfuls of dice on evil MDC demons. Against one CS Deadboy in light, old-style armor he is completely helpless and dies.

"But that's dumb!" you say? Well, probably. That's what house rules are for.

In better-edited (later) books this was sometimes addressed, for example the Mystic Kuznya:

Variable Damage: S.D.C. to M.D. Does 1D6 to 4D6 S.D.C. (the Mystic Kuznya sets the exact amount of damage) to mortal creatures but does an equivalent number of dice in M.D. to supernatural beings (1D6 to 4D6 M.D. depending on what the S.D.C. damage is). P.P.E. Cost: 100 P.P.E., and counts as a Greater Magical Item with the usual side effects and penalties for its creation. Add another 100 P.P.E. to include creatures of magic and any Mega-Damage opponent.
Grymmheart
D-Bee

Unread post by Grymmheart »

Thanks for the info. I'm ok with them not damaging MDC bots/armor, just wanted to make sure I played it correctly.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

So...then samurai can't hurt each other if they're armored. An oni who cobbles together armor from the people they've killed becomes immune to sword attacks.

Seems legit. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Alrik Vas wrote:So...then samurai can't hurt each other if they're armored. An oni who cobbles together armor from the people they've killed becomes immune to sword attacks.

An Oni would never wear such things as it has demonic pride. There are a lot of monsters where their power-set has some brand of "this is an incredibly easy power exploit that makes me unstoppable" and the fluff explanation is, "oh, they don't do that because reasons." Also house-ruling.

Actually, I don't have the wording in front of me but I think the Oni in your example would still take MDC because regardless of it's armor, it is a demon so you're doing MDC to it. I'd have to check though, and I lazy no bother with grammar zzzzzz.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

well, in folklore there is enough imagery of oni wearing what appears to be samurai armor. In any case, I know what you're saying, and it's often repeated throughout palladium.

Though maybe magically based armor takes damage from them, is the simplest answer.

Even still, I believe there are rune swords in the Japan book that state they deal MDC no matter the target, but they're the powerful exceptions.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Alrik Vas wrote:So...then samurai can't hurt each other if they're armored. An oni who cobbles together armor from the people they've killed becomes immune to sword attacks.

That is what mystic ninjas are for they damage what the samurai can't. Personally I would rather fight a samurai that attacks me head on than fend off a ninja's surprise attack. And lets face it if the samurai lords found out you where exploiting their weakness they would send in ninja.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

I always figured rune weapons would do mdc to mdc sdc to sdc magic or not simply because...you have this amazing sword of power! and it can't cut this random material because the material isn't magic?...felt weird, so reverse it so that the sword cuts all these thing, but it cuts them all "the same" cause...that's magic

and so your 4d6 damage weapon does 4d6 whether its cutting a man or a monster, or that robot too

may not be canon, but that's why you buy cannons, so when the other side gives your ideas ammunition you can fire them off...and I blame my headache for this line that basically has no relevance to this thread
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

I can't recall where I saw it, but I remember reading somewhere that a solution was to have the Daisho and weapons like the staff of defense do half damage to MD things not covered as taking damage, thus avoiding the crazy situation of two true Samurai fighting a duel to the death that never ends because they are both wearing their magic MD armor which they can't damage with their swords.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

This thread reminds me of when someone pointed out to me that those with a SNPS of 16 to 41 can usually do more damage to a vampire with a restrained punch than their normal punch.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

The Beast wrote:This thread reminds me of when someone pointed out to me that those with a SNPS of 16 to 41 can usually do more damage to a vampire with a restrained punch than their normal punch.

Vampire 1:OMG he hit me with a restrained slap what should I do?
Vampire 2:Hold on Jerry! does he have a Ps over 41!?
Jerry the Vampire: Wait let me check! *Whispering between him and the insanely muscled godling*
Jerry the Vampire: He does!
Vampire 2: Then HA! he does LESS damage than his normal punches! victory for the V!
Jerry the Vampire: But wait!? His Ps is WHAT!? 72!? *disintegrates in a puff of POWW!*
Vampire 2: OMG Jerry! *Vanishes into mist*
72 Ps Godling: *flexes muscles, looks like his entire body flexes* And that kids is why you should always eat your God-O's every morning

and don't forget kids if you don't eat your God-O's and you have a wimpy Ps of 41 or under a restrained punch is still the way to go vs vampires! Remember if its a vampire be restrained, they're delicate hp only beings.

(Don't forget folks HP is supposed to be for serious injuries, so everytime you hurt a vampire its serious)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Nightmartree wrote:I always figured rune weapons would do mdc to mdc sdc to sdc magic or not simply because...you have this amazing sword of power! and it can't cut this random material because the material isn't magic?...felt weird, so reverse it so that the sword cuts all these thing, but it cuts them all "the same" cause...that's magic

and so your 4d6 damage weapon does 4d6 whether its cutting a man or a monster, or that robot too

may not be canon, but that's why you buy cannons, so when the other side gives your ideas ammunition you can fire them off...and I blame my headache for this line that basically has no relevance to this thread

The samuria swords as I recall are not true rune blades.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:I always figured rune weapons would do mdc to mdc sdc to sdc magic or not simply because...you have this amazing sword of power! and it can't cut this random material because the material isn't magic?...felt weird, so reverse it so that the sword cuts all these thing, but it cuts them all "the same" cause...that's magic

that could explain it, still a bit eh but it would explain it
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:

Text in WB8 disagrees with this:
pg39-40 has a list of Greater *& Greatest Daisho Rune Swords (though this part seems to contradict later parts by just considering the stock ones "magical", though rune weapons are a type of magic weapon)
pg44: "These swords are minor rune weapons with the life essence of a living being locked inside their nearly indestructible blades. The rune swords can only be created..." next paragraph also called "rune swords" and how many times they are folded.
pg45 "The 'True' Samurai katana and wakizashi are considered to be lesser rune swords.", Bonuses point also considers them "rune swords"
pg48 weapons listing for the OCC "(rune katana and wakizashi)
pg80 Cyber-Samurai mentions percentages with ancient "true" being rune, and percentage with more recent/lesser variety

Return to “Rifts®”