Mages Aren't Trained for Combat

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lather
Champion

Re: Mages Aren't Trained for Combat

Unread post by lather »

Prysus wrote:
Natasha wrote:Amorphs are characters without hand to hand skill ...[snip] There are hand to hand rules for this. As far as I know, it's not written that these rules do not apply.

Darkhounds are literally characters with no hand to hand combat skill. There are hand to hand rules for that.

So your stance is to ignore the racial abilities (such as Attacks Per Melee) and go with the basic rules for no hand to hand combat (which limits them to only one attack at level 1). :rolleyes: Any value to this conversation has just hit negatives. I think I'm done. Farewell and safe journeys.

Just curious why you routinely draw denigrating conclusions from the things she says without a shred of decency to explain why?

Let's see if we can find any other stance that doesn't make her out to be a dumbass.

There are hand to hand rules for characters with no skill and, as far as she knows, applying them is not prohibited is not the same thing as ignore the racial abilities and go with the basic rules. How might we apply the rules for characters with no hand to hand skill to amorphs? I'd say it's pretty clear the racial attacks per melee supersedes the HtH attacks at level one, but the dodge bonus would apply at level 3.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

lather wrote:Just curious why you routinely draw denigrating conclusions from the things she says without a shred of decency to explain why?

Greetings and Salutations. Have you read the rules about lack of Hand to Hand? I mean, seriously, have you? 99% of it is all about Attacks per Melee. The "+1 to dodge" is the only part of page 347 that has anything other than Attacks per Melee. Now, if what she had meant was "ignore 99% of the no hand to hand rules, but you'd still get the combat bonuses" then she should have said that, instead of saying to use the rules which predominantly discuss Attacks per Melee.

lather wrote:Let's see if we can find any other stance that doesn't make her out to be a dumbass.

There are hand to hand rules for characters with no skill and, as far as she knows, applying them is not prohibited is not the same thing as ignore the racial abilities and go with the basic rules. How might we apply the rules for characters with no hand to hand skill to amorphs? I'd say it's pretty clear the racial attacks per melee supersedes the HtH attacks at level one, but the dodge bonus would apply at level 3.

I'd disagree interpretation with that as well. At best, I'd say it might be RAW (though even that would be debatable), but not RAI. The problem is people are addressing what she's saying, not what she means, probably because what she says is so different than what you're claiming she means.

Following the rules and ignoring 90% of the rules are not the same stance. She's also made claims that a character's Attacks per Melee are determined by their Hand to Hand, or lack thereof, and we have to refer to the Hand to Hand section to know that information. This is kind of the point of showing those examples. For her to say the examples are meaningless and we still just refer to the no hand to hand rules (which is predominantly about Attacks per Melee), tied to her earlier statements about needing the hand to hand section determining your Attacks per Melee (even if you have no Hand to Hand), would make her stance, as you put it, "dumbass."

I'm willing to start fresh if she's willing to try and re-state her point from the beginning in a clear way. And when I say "from the beginning" I mean attempting to ignore everything she said up until now. Also, it would help if this really is just her interpretation she states it as such, instead of claiming it is what's in the book, because that won't see nearly as much resistance. State an opinion or interpretation, and people might disagree and discuss a few of the points. Try to pass that interpretation off as fact, and the burden of proof and conflict becomes increasing more difficult. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
And in any case, weapon proficiency, the way I see them, still count in a character's combat training regardless. Which I have explained but you keep going back to stuff said before the explanation.

I must have missed that explanation.
What was it?

And what does that leave your overall position as?

Maybe answering the second question will also answer the first; rather than try to go through what was said, I'll just try to start fresh. But I don't know how it's going to go. Let me try this.

For simplicity let's say there's hand to hand and modern combat; I'm not leaving W.P. out, but on this point I think it's obvious how they fit.

All characters are either unskilled or skilled hand to hand combat. And all characters are either unskilled or skilled in modern combat. There are four separate scenarios which are governed by four sets of rules. Let's call them A = hth unskilled, B = hth skilled, C = no W.P., D = one or more W.P.

A is described as a collection of "pitiful fighting skills". B is described as "hand to hand combat training". I'm fine with calling them skills. Much like I'm fine with calling gymnastics a skill.

By the rules, in order for a character to engage in combat, the character must be either A or B, but may be any C or D.

I think that with this you know immediately the full nature and full extent of your character's combat training. I also think any specific case, using equivalence, is easily fitted into this.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Prysus wrote:
lather wrote:Just curious why you routinely draw denigrating conclusions from the things she says without a shred of decency to explain why?

Greetings and Salutations. Have you read the rules about lack of Hand to Hand? I mean, seriously, have you? 99% of it is all about Attacks per Melee. The "+1 to dodge" is the only part of page 347 that has anything other than Attacks per Melee. Now, if what she had meant was "ignore 99% of the no hand to hand rules, but you'd still get the combat bonuses" then she should have said that, instead of saying to use the rules which predominantly discuss Attacks per Melee.

So you're blaming her for you treating her like crap.

Note the word "routinely". Look it up if you have to.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Natasha wrote:Maybe answering the second question will also answer the first; rather than try to go through what was said, I'll just try to start fresh. But I don't know how it's going to go. Let me try this.

For simplicity let's say there's hand to hand and modern combat; I'm not leaving W.P. out, but on this point I think it's obvious how they fit.

All characters are either unskilled or skilled hand to hand combat. And all characters are either unskilled or skilled in modern combat. There are four separate scenarios which are governed by four sets of rules. Let's call them A = hth unskilled, B = hth skilled, C = no W.P., D = one or more W.P.

A is described as a collection of "pitiful fighting skills". B is described as "hand to hand combat training". I'm fine with calling them skills. Much like I'm fine with calling gymnastics a skill.

By the rules, in order for a character to engage in combat, the character must be either A or B, but may be any C or D.

I think that with this you know immediately the full nature and full extent of your character's combat training. I also think any specific case, using equivalence, is easily fitted into this.

Greetings and Salutations. This wasn't addressed to me specifically, but I'll respond anyways (since I've responded to the others). I may have missed something, but I can agree with this from a strictly game mechanics standpoint. In fact, I think most will.

I don't know if this will help resolve the thread though, primarily because the topic extends to some non-game mechanic elements (such as voice volume). If you can find a way to get that resolved, then you're a better person than I (or most of us here). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

lather wrote:So you're blaming her for you treating her like crap.

Greetings and Salutations. I hold people accountable for their actions, myself included. If someone says something stupid, I will treat what they said as stupid. When I say something stupid, then people can (and have) treated what I said as stupid, especially if I tell others how careful they need to be with their words. If you think that means everyone is crap, so be it. But wait ... you're criticizing what I've said, so I guess that means you're treating me like crap now. Whose fault will that be? If you blame me, then I'll point to your comment above.

For the record, we're moving off topic and addressing each other though. I'm okay with that, especially if we can address the issues to prevent bad feelings in the future. From your responses, you seem to know Natasha beyond these boards. If she's been genuinely hurt by anything said in this topic, for that I will apologize. However, I will not apologize for responding to a "dumbass" statement as such.

lather wrote:Note the word "routinely". Look it up if you have to.

Sure. While I know what the word means, let's make sure we're on the same page. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/routinely I figure you're using definition the first one:

1. a customary or regular course of procedure.

If not, you might want to clarify. Furthermore, I take it by "regular" you mean "only in this thread," because I honestly can't recall interacting with Natasha much outside of this topic. Truthfully, unless I'm mixing her up with someone else, I don't think I usually have a problem with her posts. Though if you think I'm randomly treating her like crap in her posts, feel free to provide a link to some other threads (in PM if necessary). I'm interested to see all these negative interactions with her, as if somehow I'm targeting her posts to the extent of it becoming a routine.

As for this thread, you posted a specific example which I addressed when requested. As for the rest, well, she was posting for a while before I responded to anything she said, and my first post wasn't just to her. With that said, some of the things she's said have been highly inaccurate (whether she meant them or not). We can address each one specifically if you'd really like (though this thread probably isn't the place for that), but the same way I addressed the last example is a result of what she's actually said/claimed. If she didn't mean the things she said, well, I can't say because I'm not a mind reader. If she responds and doesn't say that her previous statement was wrong or badly worded, and instead just defends that claim, I'm going to believe she actually means what she said. I've treated her like an adult, capable of saying what she means, which includes defending her statement, adding clarification, or admitting it's wrong. If you think treating her like an adult is treating her like crap, well, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Once upon a time I'd have spent an extra half an hour (and double or tripling the post size) trying to add in so many disclaimers to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. That's nice and all, but it takes way too much time and people who want to be offended will be offended anyways. Also, it causes people to just start ignoring the posts all together because they're so long winded. That didn't really help situations, and I have better things to do than waste everyone's time so we can have this same debate anyways. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Natasha wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
And in any case, weapon proficiency, the way I see them, still count in a character's combat training regardless. Which I have explained but you keep going back to stuff said before the explanation.

I must have missed that explanation.
What was it?

And what does that leave your overall position as?

Maybe answering the second question will also answer the first; rather than try to go through what was said, I'll just try to start fresh. But I don't know how it's going to go. Let me try this.

:ok:

Sounds like a long way of saying "if you look at your character sheet, you can know how well trained your character is when it comes to combat."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Some trouble flowing this but if we.are.diaccusing APM from races or combat tables the conversion book treatment of a.number or as per hand to hand seemed simplest. In some cases that added a bonus and in others it didn't.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I have to say there are a number of aspects involved.

when it comes down to it for all practical purposes:
if you have a hand to hand combat form (as long as its not hand to hand: none) , you pretty much ARE combat trained according to palladium, having at least 1 weapon proficiency significantly increases your effectiveness (when using an applicable weapon)

what the whole argument really boils down to is a more philosophical question IE what constitutes being "combat trained" and why is it that mages by definition "just aren't"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

guardiandashi wrote:I have to say there are a number of aspects involved.

if you have a hand to hand combat form (as long as its not hand to hand: none) , you pretty much ARE combat trained according to palladium, having at least 1 weapon proficiency significantly increases your effectiveness (when using an applicable weapon)

what the whole argument really boils down to is a more philosophical question IE what constitutes being "combat trained" and why is it that mages by definition "just aren't"

Its probably also worth considering that there could be aspects to the various CC categorizations that aren't reflected in terms of described/listed skills/abilities. It's that or there are a lot of mages out there that don't use the OCCs available.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

ShadowLogan wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:I have to say there are a number of aspects involved.

Its probably also worth considering that there could be aspects to the various CC categorizations that aren't reflected in terms of described/listed skills/abilities. It's that or there are a lot of mages out there that don't use the OCCs available.

I've always been annoyed that there isn't a hedge wizard OCC suitable for NPCs or even PCs that have some spell casting ability, but aren't the highly specialized OCCs we see in the books. Even the super spy is more capable than what I have in mind.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Prysus wrote:
Natasha wrote:Maybe answering the second question will also answer the first; rather than try to go through what was said, I'll just try to start fresh. But I don't know how it's going to go. Let me try this.

Greetings and Salutations. This wasn't addressed to me specifically, but I'll respond anyways (since I've responded to the others). I may have missed something, but I can agree with this from a strictly game mechanics standpoint. In fact, I think most will.

I don't know if this will help resolve the thread though, primarily because the topic extends to some non-game mechanic elements (such as voice volume). If you can find a way to get that resolved, then you're a better person than I (or most of us here). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

The PFRPG adventure Arms of Nargash Tor has players roll under their attributes on 1D20 for certain things like using Mental Endurance to avoid throwing up when smelling somebody who's eaten skunk cabbage faerie food. I think that this could be used.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Prysus wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. I hold people accountable for their actions, myself included. If someone says something stupid, I will treat what they said as stupid. When I say something stupid, then people can (and have) treated what I said as stupid, especially if I tell others how careful they need to be with their words. If you think that means everyone is crap, so be it. But wait ... you're criticizing what I've said, so I guess that means you're treating me like crap now. Whose fault will that be? If you blame me, then I'll point to your comment above.

I missed this until just now.

Sticking with the example of racial attacks per melee. You drew a conclusion from the facts that she stated. This conclusion was that the racial abilities are superseded by non hand to hand skill. I agree with you that's a stupid thing to say. She didn't say it. In fact, she didn't say anything. It was a conclusion you drew and portrayed it as hers. I'll just point out that it does not require ignoring 99% of the skill; only the number of attacks per melee at level one is superseded by the racial aspects. Anyway, when I called you out for portraying this absurd conclusion as something she said, your response was that if she didn't want you doing that to her, then she should have done things differently. No, that's not correct at all.

Fortunately, it seems that behavior has already been adjusted, so happy day.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Was checking CB about this APM thing, just noticed that centaur get 3 APM in addition to hand to hand skill so they can start with 7. Pretty impressive.

This is in respect to other races who got no extra attacks at all, or wolfen who only got 1. Would be in addition to the defunct 2 for living not replaced with higher starts for HTH skills.

Although if you compare to actually riding a horse where the horse gets its own separate APM it's not that huge.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

lather wrote:Anyway, when I called you out for portraying this absurd conclusion as something she said, your response was that if she didn't want you doing that to her, then she should have done things differently. No, that's not correct at all.

Greetings and Salutations. Actually, what I said, is that she's responsible for what she says, I'm responsible for what I say, and you're responsible for what you say. Not sure which part of that you're trying to argue over.

As for what she said, she said more than you claim. However, I agreed to let that go if she wanted to start fresh. She made that attempt. So I'm going to do my best to uphold my word and respect her wishes of starting over (even though you yourself did not). Farewell and safe journeys.

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Prysus wrote:
lather wrote:Anyway, when I called you out for portraying this absurd conclusion as something she said, your response was that if she didn't want you doing that to her, then she should have done things differently. No, that's not correct at all.

Greetings and Salutations. Actually, what I said, is that she's responsible for what she says, I'm responsible for what I say, and you're responsible for what you say. Not sure which part of that you're trying to argue over.

As for what she said, she said more than you claim. However, I agreed to let that go if she wanted to start fresh. She made that attempt. So I'm going to do my best to uphold my word and respect her wishes of starting over (even though you yourself did not). Farewell and safe journeys.

Not really how it went down.

All that she said was it's not written they don't apply.

Prysus wrote:
Natasha wrote:Amorphs are characters without hand to hand skill ...[snip] There are hand to hand rules for this. As far as I know, it's not written that these rules do not apply.

Darkhounds are literally characters with no hand to hand combat skill. There are hand to hand rules for that.

So your stance is to ignore the racial abilities (such as Attacks Per Melee) and go with the basic rules for no hand to hand combat (which limits them to only one attack at level 1).

To which I said:
lather wrote:There are hand to hand rules for characters with no skill and, as far as she knows, applying them is not prohibited is not the same thing as ignore the racial abilities and go with the basic rules. How might we apply the rules for characters with no hand to hand skill to amorphs?

To which you said:
Prysus wrote:Now, if what she had meant was "ignore 99% of the no hand to hand rules, but you'd still get the combat bonuses" then she should have said that, instead of saying to use the rules which predominantly discuss Attacks per Melee.

She used the verb "apply". Do you have a reason believe she didn't mean precisely what she said?
You invent something she didn't say, call it stupid, and then say "she should have said" something different if she didn't want to have her ideas (that weren't even hers) called stupid. Do you see that's your problem, not hers?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

lather wrote:
Prysus wrote:

I missed this until just now.

Sticking with the example of racial attacks per melee. You drew a conclusion from the facts that she stated. This conclusion was that the racial abilities are superseded by non hand to hand skill. I agree with you that's a stupid thing to say. She didn't say it. In fact, she didn't say anything.

I think the bolded may be part of the problem.
A clear thesis statement prevents miscommunication and misunderstanding, and many of Natasha's posts completely lack a thesis statement.
They tend to just leave people to guess at what her overall point it, then you and Natasha get upset if people guess "wrong."

But here we all are "discussing the poster, not the post," and that's the kind of thing that gets threads locked.
Maybe we should quit it?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prysus wrote:

The bolded portion, I believe.

Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of a fresh start when people then bring up old stuff.