Astral Travel and You

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grimmhold
D-Bee

Astral Travel and You

Unread post by grimmhold »

Hey fellow hack and slashers. I was wondering your thoughts on something that came up a while back and I couldn't find a definitive answer either way. While on a ley line nexus, as a psychic, it increases the damage of your psychic abilities. The question is, what if you are physically on a nexus, and then, while leaving your body within range to get the increase benefit of the nexus, you astral project, to a distance where your projection is out of range of the nexus. Do you, as an astral projection, still get the benefits from the nexus, because your body, which you are linked to, is still in the nexus' effect, or not because even though your body is at the nexus, your spirit self is out of range, and that is what counts.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Astral Travel and You

Unread post by Glistam »

My thought is no, once your astral form leaves the area of the Nexus, you no longer receive the benefits of being at a Nexus.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'd say a balanced compromise would be that you get the bonuses as long as your astral cord remains connected to your body, but that you lose them if your cord is severed.
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

grimmhold wrote:Hey fellow hack and slashers. I was wondering your thoughts on something that came up a while back and I couldn't find a definitive answer either way. While on a ley line nexus, as a psychic, it increases the damage of your psychic abilities. The question is, what if you are physically on a nexus, and then, while leaving your body within range to get the increase benefit of the nexus, you astral project, to a distance where your projection is out of range of the nexus. Do you, as an astral projection, still get the benefits from the nexus, because your body, which you are linked to, is still in the nexus' effect, or not because even though your body is at the nexus, your spirit self is out of range, and that is what counts.

No. Your spirit is what is using the extra energy of the nexus. Once the spirit leaves the area, the energy level drops back to normal. The silver cord connects the astral body with the physical, there is no means of transfer.
Ed
Axelmania
Knight

One could argue the cord is part of your spirit and so inhabit the nexus that way.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that in most cases its your soul that collects the PPE as the idea that you can collect from multiple locations via shenanigans like this makes me leery of munchkinisim.
On the flip side I would also rule that soul affects cant be leveled at your body. Things that can sever your silver cord? Sure, and physical attacks, but the soul is not home so it can't be attacked while your not there.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If you're astral, do you even have access to the ley line/nexus?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

flatline wrote:If you're astral, do you even have access to the ley line/nexus?

--flatline

If you are coexisting. And iirc there are ley line analogs on the astral plane. But not in the same place
Ed
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Axelmania wrote:One could argue the cord is part of your spirit and so inhabit the nexus that way.

The silver cord is not a conduit, it's more of a tether.
Ed
Axelmania
Knight

A tether that just happens to mirror my HP/SDC perfectly?
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Axelmania wrote:A tether that just happens to mirror my HP/SDC perfectly?

Yes. Is that a problem? Would you prefer it mirror someone else's?
Ed
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:My thought is no, once your astral form leaves the area of the Nexus, you no longer receive the benefits of being at a Nexus.

I agree with G.

There are LLs in the inner layer of the AP called dragon roads. So if you are not on one of those while in the AP then no power ups. Even then, I don't remember the rules for the D-roads off the cuff. To give a fuller answer would take some reading.

NB: Between the Shadows is the book where the text covering the three levels of the astral plane in some detail.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:A tether that just happens to mirror my HP/SDC perfectly?

So?
Its still just a tether.
That tether has a durability.
That still doesn't make it a conduit for PPE or allow the psychic to reach through it to draw PPE (which btw is an active action not a passive one)
A Psychic can't "reach down" their cord to send a telepathy to someone, why can they "reach down" to snag some ISP?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

I don't believe I argued for it allowing you to draw PPE (although I view the cord as part of you so you should still mentally feel the connection with the nexus through it) but rather that it continues to extend the duration of the Astral Projection psionic power.
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Axelmania wrote:I don't believe I argued for it allowing you to draw PPE (although I view the cord as part of you so you should still mentally feel the connection with the nexus through it) but rather that it continues to extend the duration of the Astral Projection psionic power.

Once your mind/conscious leaves the area of effect of the nexus the it can no longer benefit from it. The physical body isn't generating the power, the mind is.
Ed
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Ed wrote:
Axelmania wrote:I don't believe I argued for it allowing you to draw PPE (although I view the cord as part of you so you should still mentally feel the connection with the nexus through it) but rather that it continues to extend the duration of the Astral Projection psionic power.

Once your mind/conscious leaves the area of effect of the nexus the it can no longer benefit from it. The physical body isn't generating the power, the mind is.

If the physical body isn't involved in the generation, then why does a full bionic conversion destroy ppe and isp reserves?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

dreicunan wrote:
Ed wrote:

If the physical body isn't involved in the generation, then why does a full bionic conversion destroy ppe and isp reserves?

Because magic.
No seriously.
Note that removing the limbs doesn't do anything, nor do peg legs or the like.
Presumably something about the act of actually hooking the cybernetics up to the nervous system does something (my technobabble guess is that when the cybernetics become 'attuned to your aura' they can mess up said aura, as properly hooked up cybernetics get mystical protections from the person that other machines do not.)

Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

dreicunan wrote:
Ed wrote:

Play balance. They don't want a heavy Cyborg who is also a Mind Melter.
Axelmania
Knight

Not unless you wear a turban and join a circus or commit to genocide against humanity.

Some beings are MDC on ley lines. Does anyone think if they astrally project that they would cease to be MDC ?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Axelmania wrote:Some beings are MDC on ley lines. Does anyone think if they astrally project that they would cease to be MDC ?

Their bodies would be MDC, their astral form would not.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Their bodies are the ones with the psi, since they are powers you are born with. Location of the body is what is important.

Besides, I think range/duration amplification is decided when you active the power or cast the spell. Like if I cast a spell and then level up, it doesn't get a boost until I recast it.

Another issue this would be relevant to is if you did Mentally Possess Others on a nexus then carried the body offsite.

Return to “Rifts®”