D-bees and land rights.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: D-bees and land rights.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Blue_Lion wrote:Because no Sapient non humans are around, being intelligent and self aware things change a bit. If a race such as elves showed up, they would likly fairly quickly be giving human like status. Being classified as a person not just an animal.

Showed up where? In the US as of this date? Maybe. After essentially holding them in a prison while they're studied. I have serious doubts they'd be given any kind of rights until the government has decided they're safe for the public.

Blue_Lion wrote:As this is a debate on if they should be entitled to the said rights in a world where there existence is a known for years. Would nations have the right to code the laws to give them rights, would they have the ability to set up their own nations. Our laws do not address it because well we have not had them around for 100s of years.

Of course they can declare rights. They can absolutely codify it as well. They can set up their own nations and live free.

As long as they can beat back the Coalition.

Blue_Lion wrote:In your opinion would sapient races that are intelligent and self aware not be entitled to the same basic rights as humans in Rifts earth. (not a debate on how currant laws are written.)

I can't answer for him. Though I think if I can find a way to identify with it, I'll treat it fairly, most likely as an equal. That's got nothing to do with them having rights though. I would just personally recognize the validity of their existence and judge for myself they have a right to happiness.

Uncle Skullhead doesn't care about that though. Reality is harsh, much like the Coalition.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Proseksword wrote:I suspect we are discussing two different things, Eliakon. You appear to be arguing in favor of moral, universal "God-given" rights, which is all well and good, but if you will re-read my quote:

Proseksword wrote:My point was not that it wouldn't be possible for it to be determined that one or more non-human species should have legal rights. My point was that the existing human legal framework does not grant them those rights, and until such a time as they are coded into law, they legally do not exist.

My statement was simply that existing legislation and common law does not support and cannot be used to support a claim of property ownership by a non-human entity. It may be perfectly correct to assert that they are deserving of said legal protections, but it cannot be said that existing law supports such a ruling. To the best of my knowledge, the limited number of efforts to argue judicially that non-human species are legally obliged to receive human rights have been laughed out of the court system.

Then basically your saying your trolling.
Because if the thread is about if Dee-bees gain a right to land during the Dark Ages or not then discussing a law that occurs 300 years later is basically trolling.
But in any case your wrong. The US does recognize non-human entities. Corporations are legally people and not humans.
Seriously, they have the same rights as people, including property rights. And they are not humans.
This sets the precedent in US law for non-human property rights right there.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

eliakon wrote:
Proseksword wrote:I suspect we are discussing two different things, Eliakon. You appear to be arguing in favor of moral, universal "God-given" rights, which is all well and good, but if you will re-read my quote:

Proseksword wrote:My point was not that it wouldn't be possible for it to be determined that one or more non-human species should have legal rights. My point was that the existing human legal framework does not grant them those rights, and until such a time as they are coded into law, they legally do not exist.

My statement was simply that existing legislation and common law does not support and cannot be used to support a claim of property ownership by a non-human entity. It may be perfectly correct to assert that they are deserving of said legal protections, but it cannot be said that existing law supports such a ruling. To the best of my knowledge, the limited number of efforts to argue judicially that non-human species are legally obliged to receive human rights have been laughed out of the court system.

Because if the thread is about if Dee-bees gain a right to land during the Dark Ages or not then discussing a law that occurs 300 years later is basically trolling.
But in any case your wrong. The US does recognize non-human entities. Corporations are legally people and not humans.
Seriously, they have the same rights as people, including property rights. And they are not humans.

If I recall right that was set by the supreme court ruling that corporations are people under the constitution as it applies to the 14th amendment. The amendment was written to counter states claims that people of African decent could not become citizens. Basically in our laws the path is set in our constitution.

It seams to me that "D-bees have no rights to land because it is human land" is untrue in rifts. Just because a nation of Xenophobic Nazi that act like terrorist does not recognize it does not mean that they do not have rights to lands.(They use terror to push their agenda on those that do not agree with them and target civilian targets with no tactical significance. Those are terroristic actions that the CS uses.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

"D-Bees have no rights because it is human land" is a circular argument that tries to say that it is true because it says that it is true thusly.
D-bee's have no rights
Why? Because D-bee's have no rights?
Why don't they have rights?
Because they don't have rights.

Its circular.
Especially since there is nothing in any real world case law to support the stance.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:"D-Bees have no rights because it is human land" is a circular argument that tries to say that it is true because it says that it is true thusly.
D-bee's have no rights

Its circular.
Especially since there is nothing in any real world case law to support the stance.

That and it's equally valid for Dbees to insist that humans have no rights because they aren't Dbees. A common justification in alien invasion stories after all, 'well you're humans you have no rights' kind of thing (with the story basically being able to be used as a commentary on racism when you have one group of sentients insisting the other has no value simply for not being part of their group).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:"D-Bees have no rights because it is human land" is a circular argument that tries to say that it is true because it says that it is true thusly.
D-bee's have no rights

Its circular.

That and it's equally valid for Dbees to insist that humans have no rights because they aren't Dbees. A common justification in alien invasion stories after all, 'well you're humans you have no rights' kind of thing (with the story basically being able to be used as a commentary on racism when you have one group of sentients insisting the other has no value simply for not being part of their group).

The point is that the common 'proof' that the Coalition is "right" and that their policies are the 'correct ones' is that the D-bees are invaders with no rights. Not that the CS sees them as invaders with no rights, but that they are ex-cathedra in fact invaders with no rights. My point is that this is totally unable to be substantiated in anyway. There is no proof what so ever to justify the CS position other than resorting to the premise that the CS is right because they have the ability to kill anyone that objects to them.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
D-bee's have no rights

Its circular.

The point is that the common 'proof' that the Coalition is "right" and that their policies are the 'correct ones' is that the D-bees are invaders with no rights. Not that the CS sees them as invaders with no rights, but that they are ex-cathedra in fact invaders with no rights. My point is that this is totally unable to be substantiated in anyway. There is no proof what so ever to justify the CS position other than resorting to the premise that the CS is right because they have the ability to kill anyone that objects to them.

No the premise is this: The CS made laws, stating that DBee's have no rights. Right or wrong. They also Claim that North America is theirs. Right or Wrong. The wording on their laws is only as good as their effort to keep it.

But I want to go back to this argument:
eliakon wrote:

If a corporation is recognized as a non-human entity. Would the dissolution of said corporation be considered murder? Or at the very least assisted suicide?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tiree wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
D-bee's have no rights

Its circular.

No the premise is this: The CS made laws, stating that DBee's have no rights. Right or wrong. They also Claim that North America is theirs. Right or Wrong. The wording on their laws is only as good as their effort to keep it.

That is what the actual facts are. That is not what is consistently claimed though when it comes to trying to defend the CS's position. I am not kidding when I say that a perfectly serious defense offered for the CS is that they are morally in the right because they are simply responding to invaders who have no right to be here. An argument that seems to fail when actually examined.

Tiree wrote:But I want to go back to this argument:
eliakon wrote:

If a corporation is recognized as a non-human entity. Would the dissolution of said corporation be considered murder? Or at the very least assisted suicide?

Currently? No. But that does not mean that some one could not, in the future attempt to get that extension of the legal principle that "corporations are people"
However that is neither here nor there no the issue of land. If corporations can own land, and corporations are not humans and if corporations are legally considered to be people under the law for property rights then we can demonstrate that under current law that being human is not a perquisites for rights and that the current law recognizes non-humans.

Blue_Lion
Knight

People do present D-bees having no rights and thus the CS is justified in killing them as fact to protect the CS. It is not about what the CS thinks but what people claim as fact to say the CS actions are just.

If they said that the CS thinks they have no rights and that they are just in attacking they would be talking facts.
However the common claim is that D-bees are alien invaders and have no rights because all earth belongs to humans.-That claim the circular logic, that is true because it is true and not because they can prove it. As we know that at least part of d-bees are here against their will and some where born here indicates that not all are invaders, or alien(the ones born here are native to earth, not indigenous but native.).
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

J_cobbers wrote:Tolkeen would be within their right to as a sovereign nation apply their own laws

In checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty#Acquisition and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisiti ... overeignty I am wondering if anyone has input regarding how Tolkeen acquired this status.

Blue_Lion wrote:People do present D-bees having no rights

How about this: if you want to make an argument that ANYONE has rights on Rifts Earth, please provide a source.

This even includes humans. I'm sure the CS restrictions on literacy would bother some present US rights guys.

Rights are things established via declarations. They may be based on people's philosophical or religious beliefs of what rights already are (ought-tos and god-givens for example) but the factual basis for them in any useful context is when they're written up as laws, meaning rights in any discrete entity exist as a result of governments.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:
J_cobbers wrote:Tolkeen would be within their right to as a sovereign nation apply their own laws

In checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty#Acquisition and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisiti ... overeignty I am wondering if anyone has input regarding how Tolkeen acquired this status.

How about this: if you want to make an argument that ANYONE has rights on Rifts Earth, please provide a source.

This even includes humans. I'm sure the CS restrictions on literacy would bother some present US rights guys.

Rights are things established via declarations. They may be based on people's philosophical or religious beliefs of what rights already are (ought-tos and god-givens for example) but the factual basis for them in any useful context is when they're written up as laws, meaning rights in any discrete entity exist as a result of governments.

1. At the time Tolkeen was founded no nation held the terirtory as the nation before them. .
*Occupation is the acquisition of territory that belongs to no state, or terra nullius;

2. How about you include more than a sentence fragment for context. As you are pulling what I said completely out of context.
The whole thread is about discussing if and how they are entitled to any rights. Justification has been proven, your own list proved that tolkeen had a recognizable source of legal sovereignty and thus a legal standing to grant rights in this case land rights.

In this case we have a sovereign nation that had established control and land rights to its people(People has been proven to be non-human). So there is your justification of rights.
Then we have another group saying the people from the sovereign nation had no rights to land so it is justified that we took it away.

But as we have now established legal source of Sovereignty and the right to claim lands in its boarder, and grant ownership of the land to its people. (Basically by being a citizen to a free nation they had a source to have a right to the land.) non humans are counted as the population/citizens of the nation and have the rights that the nation grants them. (Thus a blanket statement that X has no rights is in error as if they are citizens of a nation that includes the rights they have as citizens.)

CS claim you are not indigenous and have no claim the land.
-Evidence ownership of the land is not determined by indigenous but by national Sovereignty. US national sovereignty takes away the native American (indigenous) ownership of the land.

Evidence has been provided that people can mean non-human, Source US supreme court.

US declaration declares certain unalienable rights that all people have. Unless you are saying that the declaration of independence is wrong, all people in rifts are entitled to those recognized Unalienable rights.

**TO be clear do not pick just 1/4 of one sentence of mine to be used in a quote as an attack out of reference. Quote a full thought.**

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Again, your rights mean nothing other than what you can enforce. If no one ever challenges your rights, then you're golden. If an army of genocidal xenophobes comes knocking, you best be able to defend your rights.

If you are unable, then your sovereign nation is doomed and your people will be unable to claim their rights, even through force.

I mean seriously, the right of sovereignty overrules the Native claim to North America? No that was small pox, rifles and a flood of settlers. They got out of the way and let it happen, or they got driven out..and even at times when they stood aside, they were still driven out and slaughtered wholesale. There was nothing that adhered to the spirit of the Declaration in those actions, at all. It was men choosing to not identify natives as people, just like the CS chooses not to identify D-bees as people.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Blue_Lion wrote:Sorry but you are mistaking on that. The currant law may specify humans but the trial can be done to set precedence to include vulcans.

Courts do not have the authority to interpret laws however they decide. They cannot, for example, decide that someone is guilty of 1st Degree Murder because they stepped on an ant after arbitrarily ruling an ant a human being. Words still have meaning, and are legally binding. Courts have the authority to rule where laws are ambiguous, not change where they are specific.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:In your opinion would sapient races that are intelligent and self aware not be entitled to the same basic rights as humans in Rifts earth. (not a debate on how currant laws are written.)

It depends. In some cases yes, in others no. I'm not prepared to make a blanket statement against or in favor of sapient rights without knowing the specific entity's temperament, intellect, instincts and other qualities. In the aforementioned instance (Elves), I would agree that elves, being of a similar intellect, temperament, and cultural awareness as humans and sharing similar values, would indeed be deserving of the same rights.
Proseksword
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:Then basically your saying your trolling.

Why must you resort to accusations rather than address the clarification I made? When one discusses rights, they are almost always discussing the legal framework thereof, not morality, which is relatively harder to argue. I believed Blue Lion was discussing the legal framework for a d-bee's claim to land under international law, which was supported by his citation of adverse possession. He has now clarified that he is simply discussing God-given rights, and I have provided my opinion.

The US does recognize non-human entities. Corporations are legally people and not humans.

Corporations are legal-entities that represent the combined financial assets and debts of groups of human beings, and any rights they are afforded are as a result of them being made up of human beings. Such rights do not inherently transfer to non-humans. Ducks do not have rights because corporations do, nor do dolphins.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

That fits in well with my Adverse Possession theory :lol:
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Axelmania
Knight

I like the idea that 3 blue lights glare when he's readying fire.

Blue_Lion wrote:1. At the time Tolkeen was founded no nation held the terirtory as the nation before them. .
*Occupation is the acquisition of territory that belongs to no state, or terra nullius;

Terra Nullius does not apply. That's something for places like Antarctica or a space moon. "has never been subject to the sovereignty of any state, or over which any prior sovereign has expressly or implicitly relinquished sovereignty" as Wikipedia puts it.

Minnesota was subject to the sovereignty of the United States meaning it can never be subject to Terra Nullius.

Blue_Lion wrote:The whole thread is about discussing if and how they are entitled to any rights. Justification has been proven, your own list proved that tolkeen had a recognizable source of legal sovereignty and thus a legal standing to grant rights in this case land rights.

As above, I do not agree that Terra Nullius applies here. The land was already discovered and claimed, regardless of how fragmented the U.S. government is.

Blue_Lion wrote:In this case we have a sovereign nation that had established control and land rights to its people(People has been proven to be non-human). So there is your justification of rights.

The Splugorth have established control of London England and give their monsters the right to humans. Are there any differences in sovereignty between London-of-Splynn and Tolkeen-of-Minneapolis which you can identify? I don't recognize either's sovereignty at present, regardless of them having conquered the land and built upon it.

At best these two might fall under "right of conquest". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_conquest mentions this basically got abandoned by 1974 when the UN defined war of aggression. They appear to have abandoned it in international law, so Tolkeen needs some other basis to establish sovereignty. Particularly if they want to expand it beyond just the city of Minneapolis and lord over all towns in Minnesota, including ones who don't consent to it and want their towns to form a CS state.

Blue_Lion wrote:Evidence has been provided that people can mean non-human, Source US supreme court.

Just to be clear, I don't think I have argued anywhere in the thread that 'people' is necessarily 'only humans' so much as if you are going to use it to apply outside of them, they would need official recognition within the law first.

This is something dolphins and whales deserve yet which there's no evidence they got in the pre-Rifts Golden Age.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:

Your links actually prove my point under the theory of Occupancy, so maybe you read your sources a little more closely next time?

Axelmania wrote:

Actually you are wrong. Natural rights as a concept exist outside the any actual declaration as written law by a government, though they may be encoded in a declaration, it is not necessary for them to exist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

The U.S. Constitution actually recognizes that we have rights that aren't yet enumerated, see the 9th Amendment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Axelmania
Knight

Concepts can be anything. An ogre could declare the right to eat every 4th-born human child on their 9th birthday, for example.

9th Amendment leaves the door open to recognize new rights, saying it isn't final, but that's not cart blanche to just start asserting any rights we like.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:I like the idea that 3 blue lights glare when he's readying fire.

Indeed!

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:1. At the time Tolkeen was founded no nation held the terirtory as the nation before them. .

Terra Nullius does not apply. That's something for places like Antarctica or a space moon. "has never been subject to the sovereignty of any state, or over which any prior sovereign has expressly or implicitly relinquished sovereignty" as Wikipedia puts it.

Minnesota was subject to the sovereignty of the United States meaning it can never be subject to Terra Nullius.

But the US Government no longer exists after the apocalypse and dark ages, therefore the land basically becomes unclaimed, and open to 'discovery' perhaps 'rediscovery' especially to people who may have come upon it from other dimensions without any knowledge of Earth history, and with no one on site able to make a better claim. There are the Republicans, but I don't see them as a continuation of the U.S. Government, but as a continuation of NEMA, which was a Military Alliance, and not a Government unto themselves, so they don't have a right to MN or Tolkeen either.

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:The whole thread is about discussing if and how they are entitled to any rights. Justification has been proven, your own list proved that tolkeen had a recognizable source of legal sovereignty and thus a legal standing to grant rights in this case land rights.

As above, I do not agree that Terra Nullius applies here. The land was already discovered and claimed, regardless of how fragmented the U.S. government is.

See my point above. The U.S. Government in Rifts Earth isn't just fragmented, it is literally non-existent. There are no groups described that use the US Declaration or Independence, Articles of Confederacy or Constitution as the basis of their government or call themselves the United States of America any more. There are some legacy sub-organizations that have survived and evolved from US Gov entities, but not as a full fledged government. Therefore it is now only a historical entity that exists in Rifts Earth's past and not a current legal functional entity, so the territory is open to be rediscovered.

This point is important, because otherwise we'd be arguing that all the NA Rifts nations have no technical legal right to their lands, and this would include the CS, Mansitique Imerium, Ispheming, Lazo, New Lazo, Kingsdale, El Dorado, the Colorado Baronies, the Federation of Magic, and so on. Likewise New Camelot in Rifts' England, would be illegitimate as obviously the Government of Great Briton/British Royal Family has claim to England, Scotland and Wales, and Northern Ireland, and the new King Arr'thuu and his predecessor King Ebor, as New Camelot is only 50 years old as of WB3. I could go on, but I hope you see the point. Very few pre-rifts nations continued, the NGR is perhaps one of the few exceptions of a legitimate continuation of a prerifts government surviving through the cataclysm.

Axelmania wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:In this case we have a sovereign nation that had established control and land rights to its people(People has been proven to be non-human). So there is your justification of rights.

The Splugorth have established control of London England and give their monsters the right to humans. Are there any differences in sovereignty between London-of-Splynn and Tolkeen-of-Minneapolis which you can identify? I don't recognize either's sovereignty at present, regardless of them having conquered the land and built upon it.

At best these two might fall under "right of conquest". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_conquest mentions this basically got abandoned by 1974 when the UN defined war of aggression. They appear to have abandoned it in international law, so Tolkeen needs some other basis to establish sovereignty. Particularly if they want to expand it beyond just the city of Minneapolis and lord over all towns in Minnesota, including ones who don't consent to it and want their towns to form a CS state.

Just because you don't recognize London-of-Splynn doesn't mean their claim is invalid, unless you want to claim almost all current rifts nations have invalid claims regardless of their ability to enforce their territorial claims via force. Almost none of the UN treaty nations still exist in Rifts Earth, and most Rifts nations aren't signatories to the UN Convention, so they probably don't recognize the invalidation of the Right of Conquest (certainly the CS has shown that they don't). Also there is no evidence that Tolkeen was founded by conquest or war against anyone who lived there before its founders established it, thus Occupancy seems the best fit of a legal theory for their right to their territory.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Heads up some sarcasm (meant to be light hearted) and silliness below. No offense to Ogre Americans or PB forum members with delicate stomachs.

Axelmania wrote:Concepts can be anything. An ogre could declare the right to eat every 4th-born human child on their 9th birthday, for example.

9th Amendment leaves the door open to recognize new rights, saying it isn't final, but that's not cart blanche to just start asserting any rights we like.

Yes you are right concepts can be anything, you have a good grasp of the definition of a concept, but your ogre non-inquisitor is an example of a declared legal right, and your logic doesn't help your argument. Perhaps an Ogre nation would declare such a legal right to eat every tasty 4th born human child (the other-other white meat), but that wouldn't make it a natural right or human right to do so. Again these are the rights which do not have to have to be declared, they exist as a concept absent their written or espoused declaration. Just because something is a concept doesn't mean it's not important or applicable.

You are also right that the 9th Amendment leaves open the ability to recognize new rights, like oh I don't know the rights of non-human Sapient/Sentient (pick your definition) beings to own land or be considered the legal equals of humans! Equal rights for Ogres, Elves and Dwarfs! 4th human baby snacks for all! nom nom nom, err wait.... oh yeah eating baby violates natural/human rights of said babies and/or their parents. Damn, no natural law baby eating after all.

So no the 9th Amendment isn't cart blanche to declare any right we like (like the right to those succulent 4th born human children, I hear it's just like lamb!) but as a concept, the 9th Amendment stands for the idea there are rights that exist or would exist, it's just that we haven't encountered situations to apply them (like equal rights of non-earth native sentient D-Bees) or declared them yet (say the right to same sex marriage just a couple years ago). The idea behind the 9th Amendment is a very important one in preserving and maybe expanding the rights that fall under the concepts of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

If you claim all former US territory can only be claimed by the US of A in rifts, this means the CS has no valid claim, as there is no continuity of government between the USA and the CS. The CS is just a kingdom that arose 200 years after the cataclysm, same as tolkeen or the federation of magic.

By the stance your using, the only legitimate Inheritor of that land is the 'new navy', as it is the US navy and US marine corps, with a US civilian government with continuity from the US of A across all 3 centuries since the cataclysm.

Though if ARCHIE unfreezes the 30,000 sleepers he has, they would have the claim, since many of them actually are the US government from the time of the cataclysm.

Of course as pointed out, this is not how it actually works. Without the actual US government defending its claim to the land it reverts to whoever lives there or can take it and defend it by force.the sleepers are frozen, and the new navy has never tried to enforce a claim on the continental US, so all of the north american city states can claim sovereignty by dint of their very existence.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

Man caused an apocalypse during the apocalypse nations disappeared. So all Sovereignty of the nation went away.

CS dose seam to rely on right of conquest, as a means to gaining new land. Are you saying the conquest of Tolkeen to add its lands to the CS are invalid addition to their holding?

I do not care if you recognize it they have a source from your own post to gain it. Step back from the CS propaganda and look at it objectively the nation of Tolkeen had sovereignty same as CS. (If tolkeen did not have it neither does the CS.)
I mean in all honesty we are discussing works of fiction so none of them have any real world sovereignty.

In the setting of Rifts Tolkeen was a government they controlled land they gave their people rights to the land. So their people had declared rights to the land. The fact you refuse to acknowledge it was a nation with its own sovereignty does not change the fact it was in the setting a sovereign nation.

The subject of this thread is land rights and d-bees not ogers eating 9 year olds please refrain from further use of such irrelevant hypothetical extremes to steer away from the core of the issue of land rights. In rifts can D-bees gain land rights, from a nation.

*********note: by definition Demons are not D-bees so a demon is irrelevant to D-bee rights. So every one quit using demons, and supernatural creatures as part of the debate on D-bee rights.*******************

J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Blue_Lion wrote:
The subject of this thread is land rights and d-bees not ogers eating 9 year olds please refrain from further use of such irrelevant hypothetical extremes to steer away from the core of the issue of land rights. In rifts can D-bees gain land rights, from a nation.

The Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM) does not support Blue_Lion position for eating 9 year olds, they are much too tough and stringy.
It does however support his stance on discussing land rights for Ogres (and the humans, who will have the babies for Ogres to eat) in this thread.

Alrik Vas
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:*********note: by definition Demons are not D-bees so a demon is irrelevant to D-bee rights. So every one quit using demons, and supernatural creatures as part of the debate on D-bee rights.*******************

Can you post this definition and cite it? I'm not balking at your claim, but I've never heard of demons not being a subset of dimensional being. As their native habitat is another dimension.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:*********note: by definition Demons are not D-bees so a demon is irrelevant to D-bee rights. So every one quit using demons, and supernatural creatures as part of the debate on D-bee rights.*******************

Can you post this definition and cite it? I'm not balking at your claim, but I've never heard of demons not being a subset of dimensional being. As their native habitat is another dimension.

Page 7 D-bees of north America.
Right Colum second paragraph first sentence.
"A D-Bee is NEVER a true creature of magic - beings like Faeries Folk and dragons - Nor Supernatural beings such as demons and Deevels. "

Note the full description of what a D-bee is in that book is the most recent but similar to earlier ones and the most detailed. It takes up a bit more space than I want to type up.
But as it is never a demon, demons are irrelevant.
Basically D-bees are mortal creatures typically humanoid on rifts earth, they are not demon invaders.

Alrik Vas
Knight

I wonder what the definition is pertinent to, however. Remember, a lot of this discussion is heavily meta. Laws next to no one in Rifts is knowledgeable of are being thrown around as justification for something that no one really thinks about in Rifts earth.

Is the definition's divide between demons and d-bees something that was decided by scientists/scholars who study them, or is it something stated in the book as a way for us as players of the game to categorize them? I can see it both ways.

So let's be careful about what we deem irrelevant to the discussion when the definitions of terms aren't understood entirely.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:I wonder what the definition is pertinent to, however. Remember, a lot of this discussion is heavily meta. Laws next to no one in Rifts is knowledgeable of are being thrown around as justification for something that no one really thinks about in Rifts earth.

Is the definition's divide between demons and d-bees something that was decided by scientists/scholars who study them, or is it something stated in the book as a way for us as players of the game to categorize them? I can see it both ways.

So let's be careful about what we deem irrelevant to the discussion when the definitions of terms aren't understood entirely.

It is defining a slang term used in the game in a clear way for players that do not know what the term means.(Slang is typically not the work of scientist and scholars but the common people.) That means the what is and is not a D-bee is a in game concept. But as it is in writing we have access to it.

My thread, I used the term D-bees and I want the discussion kept to how it pertains to D-bees.
As demons are not D-bees they are irrelevant to a discussion of D-bee land rights. They where being used as a reason to deny rights to D-bees when demons are not D-bees.
The thread has gotten off topic and I am trying to get it back on the original topic, if you want to discuss rights as the pertain to demons that would be best done in a thread dedicated to it.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Proseksword wrote:
eliakon wrote:The US does recognize non-human entities. Corporations are legally people and not humans.

Corporations are legal-entities that represent the combined financial assets and debts of groups of human beings, and any rights they are afforded are as a result of them being made up of human beings. Such rights do not inherently transfer to non-humans. Ducks do not have rights because corporations do, nor do dolphins.

That is not what the US Supreme Court says. Nor is it what US Law says. Though if you can cite a specific line item in Citizens United or the 14th amendment that says that rights of people apply only to humans and that they theory of "Corporations are people too" is because they are made up of humans" I would be willing to listen.
A straw man about ducks proves nothing because no one is arguing if ducks have rights. And in our world no one has argued that dolphins are full intelligent beings that are worthy of rights as well. But I have demonstrated a non-human with rights. Your free to rebut it with evidence of course. But a simple "nuh uh" didn't work on the play ground in 3rd grade and won't work here either

Alrik Vas
Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:It is defining a slang term used in the game in a clear way for players that do not know what the term means.(Slang is typically not the work of scientist and scholars but the common people.) That means the what is and is not a D-bee is a in game concept. But as it is in writing we have access to it.

Most people don't understand the differences and use of slang fully, or where it comes from, or what it really means without looking it up in a dictionary or wikipedia article...which...guess what, most people in Rifts don't have access to.

I disagree with your assertion that the terms translate to an in-game given piece of knowledge.

Blue_Lion wrote:My thread, I used the term D-bees and I want the discussion kept to how it pertains to D-bees.
As demons are not D-bees they are irrelevant to a discussion of D-bee land rights. They where being used as a reason to deny rights to D-bees when demons are not D-bees.
The thread has gotten off topic and I am trying to get it back on the original topic, if you want to discuss rights as the pertain to demons that would be best done in a thread dedicated to it.

That's fine, you're right, demons aren't relevant to the discussion of d-bees having land rights. My assertion is that no one has land rights anyway, so go ahead and fight over it. Regardless of that, demons are relevant to the world view of people from the CS and how they view d-bees, or anything else that came out of a Rift.

Given that, I don't think it's off topic, but I'll let it go anyway since this is already a huge mess.

Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Alrik Vas wrote:You guys, I'm dying here.

Countries make crap up. They write laws to make their citizens feel safe. If they feel safer armed, there will be a right to gun ownership. If they feel safer with mind-reading dominators on a leash, guess what, brain bomb implants for everyone. The CS is a paranoid regime lead by a megalomaniac who truly believes his cause is just.

If that hasn't sunk in properly after the 20+ years this game has been marinating in our brains, I don't really know what else to say about these guys.

But I'll try.

The Coalition States are a power of stability in a world gone wrong. Stability is relative to those it serves, however. Tolkeen had plenty of right to their land, for real guys. They have the same rights as the CS has to theirs. Which is why Tolkeen lost their claim when the CS murderized them and turned their fine city into a litter box for the Prosek family cat.

In Rifts, you don't have rights other than what you can actually, physicall (or metaphysically for all you magic and psi users) fight for. That's it. That's all. There's no "we the people" there's no great philosopher king who is changing the world's outlook. There are demons offering people power, there are those who with a look or a gesture can make your mind up for you. And then there are the guys with the guns and no patience for discussion.

Don't get caught up in all this high talk. That's not the world we're in.

This is what im trying to say, if a dbee cant hold the landvit had no rights, there are no international laws or legal bodies, no laws other than thevones you and the nation you live in hold true. The samevis true to today, you dont have absolute land ownership anywhere in the world, as a stronger country orvperson can take it. If you live some where with a functioning goverment they might go take it back for you, or side with the take as they perfer them to you, or cant remove the threatening party.

No one has rights unless the nation or governent or what have you grants them to you, and then only till its to burdensome or costly(blood or gold) to keep up with them. You loose these rights when an army rolls over you, the cs takes the land becuase they can tolkeen forfiets rights to it as they couldnt keep it........see crimiea and russia.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I wonder what the definition is pertinent to, however. Remember, a lot of this discussion is heavily meta. Laws next to no one in Rifts is knowledgeable of are being thrown around as justification for something that no one really thinks about in Rifts earth.

It is defining a slang term used in the game in a clear way for players that do not know what the term means.(Slang is typically not the work of scientist and scholars but the common people.) That means the what is and is not a D-bee is a in game concept. But as it is in writing we have access to it.

My thread, I used the term D-bees and I want the discussion kept to how it pertains to D-bees.

Dbee as the game categorized it, but the diffrence is in orgin not effect. Even if you discount demons as off limits in the conversation, you could easily swap them for any other menevolent Dbee. Like say the ice born, devil unicorn, septumbrum witch wolves, psi-goblins, ecto-men, ect.

Not everything by virtue of existing is compatible with allowing to have equality complete or partial.
Proseksword
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:That is not what the US Supreme Court says. Nor is it what US Law says.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-205.pdf

here's the whole majority of opinion on Citizen's United v. FEC. Please tell me where it says that Corporations are people (it doesn't). Corporations are people is a tagline created as a short-hand slogan to express opposition to the ruling. It did not create corporate personhood, and in fact corporations, as organizations made up of numerous human beings already had numerous rights. Citizen's United v. FEC's ruling specifically refers only to the right of people to collective communication and financing of communication where it does not directly coordinate on behalf of a specific political candidate's campaign, and is thus not subject to limitations on campaign finance.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Proseksword wrote:
eliakon wrote:That is not what the US Supreme Court says. Nor is it what US Law says.

here's the whole majority of opinion on Citizen's United v. FEC. Please tell me where it says that Corporations are people (it doesn't). Corporations are people is a tagline created as a short-hand slogan to express opposition to the ruling. It did not create corporate personhood, and in fact corporations, as organizations made up of numerous human beings already had numerous rights. Citizen's United v. FEC's ruling specifically refers only to the right of people to collective communication and financing of communication where it does not directly coordinate on behalf of a specific political candidate's campaign, and is thus not subject to limitations on campaign finance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Blue_Lion wrote:It seams to me that "D-bees have no rights to land because it is human land" is untrue in rifts. Just because a nation of Xenophobic Nazi that act like terrorist does not recognize it does not mean that they do not have rights to lands.(They use terror to push their agenda on those that do not agree with them and target civilian targets with no tactical significance. Those are terroristic actions that the CS uses.)

Depends wholly on whom you ask. The CS will never acknowledge DBees as anything other than inhuman invaders with no rights beyond that to the business end of a laser rifle.

Other entities May recognize a settled group's de facto ownership to the land it occupies... For some reasons, I doubt Archie or the Sploogs would though, but open city states like Lazlo would.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Proseksword wrote:

*sigh*
You do realize that the constitutional challenge there was that the company was claiming that IT, THE COMPANY ITSELF had access to the constitutional right of free speech. The Supreme Court agreed and thus established the precedent that the rights enumerated in the Constitution apply to companies and other collective organizations. It did not say that those organizations rights devolved from being humans, that is your wholly original inference.

As an example of this we can look at the legal definition of "person" under U.S. Law.
It does not say "human" and in fact some statues explicitly list corporations as persons e.g. 19 USCS § 3813 [Title 19. Customs Duties; Chapter 24. (first one I could find the specific reference to "
he term "United States person" means--
“(A) a United States citizen;
(B) a partnership, corporation, or other legal entity organized under the laws of the United States; and
(C) a partnership, corporation, or other legal entity that is organized under the laws of a foreign country and is controlled by entities described in subparagraph (B) or United States citizens, or both.”

A hurdle here of course is that there is still no proof that I can find that the US has enshrined being a human being (specifically Homo-Sapiens Sapiens) as a perquisite to being considered a Natural Person. While it is currently a de facto requirement by necessity that is different than being a de jure one. I am curious if anyone can cite evidence of its universal de jure status.

Alrik Vas
Knight

eliakon wrote:As an example of this we can look at the legal definition of "person" under U.S. Law.
It does not say "human" and in fact some statues explicitly list corporations as persons e.g. 19 USCS § 3813 [Title 19. Customs Duties; Chapter 24. (first one I could find the specific reference to "
(B) a partnership, corporation, or other legal entity organized under the laws of the United States; and
(C) a partnership, corporation, or other legal entity that is organized under the laws of a foreign country and is controlled by entities described in subparagraph (B) or United States citizens, or both.”

You are legally defining "person" under US Law, but there has to be more than that to it. As the United States should recognize more than Corporations and Citizens as "persons."

eliakon wrote:A hurdle here of course is that there is still no proof that I can find that the US has enshrined being a human being (specifically Homo-Sapiens Sapiens) as a perquisite to being considered a Natural Person. While it is currently a de facto requirement by necessity that is different than being a de jure one. I am curious if anyone can cite evidence of its universal de jure status.

Legalese might bring us an answer, but I'm honestly not interested in it. This whole argument has gotten silly. We all know the CS is fundamentally a bunch of bad dudes powered by racism and terror. It's cool, we need bad guys to give us an enemy we can kill without remorse and keep us occupied so we don't do anything immoral ourselves. :D

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:
eliakon wrote:As an example of this we can look at the legal definition of "person" under U.S. Law.

You are legally defining "person" under US Law, but there has to be more than that to it. As the United States should recognize more than Corporations and Citizens as "persons."

eliakon wrote:A hurdle here of course is that there is still no proof that I can find that the US has enshrined being a human being (specifically Homo-Sapiens Sapiens) as a perquisite to being considered a Natural Person. While it is currently a de facto requirement by necessity that is different than being a de jure one. I am curious if anyone can cite evidence of its universal de jure status.

Legalese might bring us an answer, but I'm honestly not interested in it. This whole argument has gotten silly. We all know the CS is fundamentally a bunch of bad dudes powered by racism and terror. It's cool, we need bad guys to give us an enemy we can kill without remorse and keep us occupied so we don't do anything immoral ourselves. :D

heh
My point there was that as far as I can tell the CS (and by extension its supporters and apologists) don't have a legal basis to stand on for the claim that D-bees have no rights.
So far this thread has demonstrated that the CS has no legal claim to US territory, that the UN of today would recognize most D-bee claims under the Terra Nulla principle... and now it looks like yet another CS supporter talking point is running into problems.
Its almost as if the CS were written as an evil empire based not on heroic principles of justice and law but on terror and the principle that they are right because they say so.
Morally the CS is no different than the Splugorth or the Demons they claim to oppose.

Alrik Vas
Knight

eliakon wrote:heh
My point there was that as far as I can tell the CS (and by extension its supporters and apologists) don't have a legal basis to stand on for the claim that D-bees have no rights.
So far this thread has demonstrated that the CS has no legal claim to US territory, that the UN of today would recognize most D-bee claims under the Terra Nulla principle... and now it looks like yet another CS supporter talking point is running into problems.
Its almost as if the CS were written as an evil empire based not on heroic principles of justice and law but on terror and the principle that they are right because they say so.
Morally the CS is no different than the Splugorth or the Demons they claim to oppose.

That's real for the most part.
Though honestly, self-determination is the basis of forming countries and granting rights. People are still deciding these things, and it takes agreement. In the end whether your a free thinking society or a totalitarian regime, you're still doing/getting everything based off enforcement. It just depends on who is doing the enforcing, and what manner they determine is just.

An aside about the CS in general that people seem to not be facing or giving proper creedence to.

You cannot refute the CS performs evil acts, enslaves, destroys, murders, debases, shames and generally terrorizes what it deems an enemy, as well as unjustly subjecting other sentient beings to pain, incarceration, death and torture against their will. They as well do not recognize the rights of those they deem a menace and/or enemy.

You also cannot refute the CS protects their own, cures diseases, engineers convenience, provides food for the majority of the north american population, secures it's borders against threats, engages in diplomacy with other nations (mostly like minded, however) and has it's own self-interest deeply tied to it's citizens and the land they live on, with security being it's primary concern.

Just thought I'd drop that again, in case people are forgetting that wrong, right, good or evil, the CS is just a government that does what it pleases, like most.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Proseksword wrote:

Corporations are people within the intent of the first clause the 14th amendment was a ruling from the supreme court in 1886.
That is what they are referring to in reconciling corporations as people.
In 1886 they where made people under the 14th amendment.

So yes in 1886 under the 14th amendment corporaitons where declared people.
Please check your facts.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federa ... /case.html

Proseksword
Adventurer

J_cobbers wrote:
Proseksword wrote:

"The basis for allowing corporations to assert protection under the U.S. Constitution is that they are organizations of people, and the people should not be deprived of their constitutional rights when they act collectively."

This is all becoming very cyclical. I only brought up Citizen's United because Eliakon cited it as providing proof of corporate personhood. I indicated that was not stated anywhere within the ruling, to which he moved the goalposts and attempted to site other U.S. law which just draws back to corporations being collections of persons, which in no way establishes non-humans as persons. We don't have duck citizens, dolphin citizens, or orangutan citizens, despite the best efforts of a few animal rights lawyers. There's no established precedent for granting personhood to non-humans. and saying "but corporations" doesn't do elves any more than it does chimpanzees.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

In Rifts, as in life, might makes rights. ;-) Rights only mean something if you can enforce them or someone else can enforce them for you (as several people have already pointed out). If someone comes up and is willing to kill you for your land, your "right" to hold it is meaningless unless you can defend yourself from them by one way or another. D-bees who can hold off the Coalition can hold all the land that they want. D-bees who can't hold them off can't.

As to whether the CS is justified or not in killing D-bees for their land is a whole other issue.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Proseksword wrote:
J_cobbers wrote:
Proseksword wrote:

"The basis for allowing corporations to assert protection under the U.S. Constitution is that they are organizations of people, and the people should not be deprived of their constitutional rights when they act collectively."

This is all becoming very cyclical. I only brought up Citizen's United because Eliakon cited it as providing proof of corporate personhood. I indicated that was not stated anywhere within the ruling, to which he moved the goalposts and attempted to site other U.S. law which just draws back to corporations being collections of persons, which in no way establishes non-humans as persons. We don't have duck citizens, dolphin citizens, or orangutan citizens, despite the best efforts of a few animal rights lawyers. There's no established precedent for granting personhood to non-humans. and saying "but corporations" doesn't do elves any more than it does chimpanzees.

Corporate citizenship is in reference to a ruling from the supreme court in 1886. (I actually learned about it in a US history class.)
Corporate person hood is independent of person hood of the people that make it up and the corporation has rights to own lands.
As he pointed out this does show that person in the constitution can refer to non-human entities as a corporation is not human (it may employ humans but is not one itself) and would likely be applied to other sapient races under the 14th amendment.

I find your whole post a false statement.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Proseksword wrote:
J_cobbers wrote:
Proseksword wrote:

Yes I cited Citizens United in my original post. This was because I did not realize that the precedent cited in Citizens United was from earlier case law.

I would also point out that regardless of how you see the origin of cooperate rights or not, they exist. It would be up to a court to decide if the precedents that created them would then apply to another sentient, sapient being and make that a person under the law since the definition of person is fairly ill defined. For example would an elf born in the United States be a citizen? We have a hard time defining what is a 'natural born citizen' for humans let alone other races.
The claim that their non-applicability to ducks is a straw man since no rational person would ever claim that a duck is a person. A non-rational specious argument proves nothing. You would need to cite case law that specifically states that personhood derives from being biologically a homo sapien sapien to prove that personhood derives only from being biologically human.

Proseksword
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:The claim that their non-applicability to ducks is a straw man since no rational person would ever claim that a duck is a person. A non-rational specious argument proves nothing. You would need to cite case law that specifically states that personhood derives from being biologically a homo sapien sapien to prove that personhood derives only from being biologically human.

On the contrary, several legal advancement organisations, among them http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/ have fought several court battles unsuccessfully on behalf of a wide variety of species in hopes of getting chimpanzees, dolphins, and others established as "persons". All their efforts have been thus far rejected by the courts. If anything, precedent currently holds that a "person" is a human being or group of human beings.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Proseksword wrote:
eliakon wrote:The claim that their non-applicability to ducks is a straw man since no rational person would ever claim that a duck is a person. A non-rational specious argument proves nothing. You would need to cite case law that specifically states that personhood derives from being biologically a homo sapien sapien to prove that personhood derives only from being biologically human.

On the contrary, several legal advancement organisations, among them http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/ have fought several court battles unsuccessfully on behalf of a wide variety of species in hopes of getting chimpanzees, dolphins, and others established as "persons". All their efforts have been thus far rejected by the courts. If anything, precedent currently holds that a "person" is a human being or group of human beings.

Actually it goes back to the old sapient vs sentient that predates US. Basically a distinction between humans and other animals is that humans a sapient and the animals are not. However D-bee races are sapient. (typically people can be applied to groups of sapient creatures but not sentient creatures.)
Non of the animals they presented where sapient.
Reading the rulings from the supreme court never did the words collection of humans or even human appear. In the 14th amendment never did the word human appear. I do not find your bringing up attempts to get rights for non-sapient animals relevant or presenting a precedence for sapient animals being people.
Corporations personhood is not list in its source the word human that is something you are adding to create a moving goal post.

It does seam that non humans sapients can be called people in various major works.

"Following the success of J. R. R. Tolkien's epic workThe Lord of the Rings—wherein a wise, angelic people named Elves play a significant role—they have become staple characters of modern fantasy (see: Elves in fantasy fiction and games)."

http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Elf

Dwarves page 84 of revised conversion book are stated as being subterranean people.
Eves page 86 have the term personal glory appearing describing them, Marian/Webster seams to indicate the term is related directly to a person and belonging to one.

IN PB they are counted as population along with humans of nations.

So it does appear there is precedence in PB fantasy setting for D-bees to be classified as a person. (The lack of them in the real world to our knowledge makes it hard for their to be precedence for the personhood of other sapient life forms. We do have at least one example of a non human entity being classified as person with no use of the word human in the reason.)

My conclusion is that within the Rifts setting D-bees are classified as a person. That means they would be entitled the same basic unalienable rights belonging to any person.

Some may refuse the recognize such rights but doing so puts you in violation of the persons rights. Being in violation of said persons rights does not mean the right does not exist just that you violated or broke the right of another. So any nation that denies them their rights as people are in the wrong, when it comes to the basic rights of people.

It has also been proven that nations do have the right to grant lands(or sale them) to citizens and other types of people.

So any claim that land of earth can only belong to humans in of itself is untrue as people even non human people have a president for owning land.

Proseksword
Adventurer

Just argument does not equal existing precedent, but hey man, whatever floats your boat! I'm well past trying to convince you of this when you seem to have your heart set on just getting the answer you want.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Proseksword wrote:Just argument does not equal existing precedent, but hey man, whatever floats your boat! I'm well past trying to convince you of this when you seem to have your heart set on just getting the answer you want.

We are still waiting for you to cite any legal justification for your claim that person hood is reliant on being a homo sapiens sapiens.
Its kind of hard to rebut the claim "well I assert that only humans are people, and that people are defined as humans. But I won't prove my assertion, just believe me there is proof out there. Somewhere. In some legal document. I wont tell you which one of the billions of pages of legal documents out there though, you get to find it yourself."

This is known as "shifting the burden of proof" and is a logical fallacy.

However I am willing to go one step further. I believe that your claim is erroneous. Not just that it is unsupported but that it is inherently unsupportable. I do not believe that there is a legal definition of person which includes a specific reference to race.

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

To the Coalition, only the rights of 100% Earth native Humans matter. Any Mutant human is a second class citizen at best. Anything else even time or dimension stranded humans are D-Bees and thus enemies of the state.
Blue_Lion
Knight

say652 wrote:To the Coalition, only the rights of 100% Earth native Humans matter. Any Mutant human is a second class citizen at best. Anything else even time or dimension stranded humans are D-Bees and thus enemies of the state.

This is not about what the CS thinks.

Return to “Rifts®”