Mixed Feeling About Savage Worlds Conversion

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DeusXXX
D-Bee

Mixed Feeling About Savage Worlds Conversion

Unread post by DeusXXX »

This is a repost of a post I made earlier at the RIFTS subreddit.

So I really like SW. I ran that game system for a couple of different campaigns over 2 years and we all had a blast. Actually, one was RIFTS!

Now my group and I are starting another RIFTS campaign, but this time we're going to use the classic rules which God help me I actually really like.

I think the thing I like about the rules so much is that they are such a mess that they become sort of illustrative of the game world which is also a mess and completely broken. In that way, the game system actually helps, for me at least, with the immersion factor.

While SW is super fun TO PLAY, I am skeptical whether or not a conversion can actually capture the spirit of the world the way I feel the classic ruleset does.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Mixed Feeling About Savage Worlds Conversion

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think this game could do with some organized changes. The creativity of the setting deserves more. Currently it's basically that one RPG your friend designed in college that only works when he runs it.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Alrik Vas wrote:I think this game could do with some organized changes. The creativity of the setting deserves more. Currently it's basically that one RPG your friend designed in college that only works when he runs it.

While this assessment made me chuckle, I don't think it's THAT bad. :) It definitely does take some getting used to, though.

To the OPs point, I think that for someone like me who is very set in their ways and deeply familiar with running the current rule set, that a transition of system would cause more problems than it would solve. At least initially, though I do concede that I am less motivated to try new game systems than most.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Ask any person I've gamed with, I hate learning new systems.

This has my interest, though.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

I'll admit to not reading every breaking News Article from Palladium, but did they go into a partnership with another company for RIFTS?
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Yes they did as far as I can tell. They made an announcement a while back. I have played SW several times. It is very smooth running. I played in a friends Tron game using that system. The next was slipstream, then necessary evil, then I think L5R. They were all a blast. One of the game masters ran several one shot games as well. The system is super easy to learn, and can do basically any setting with a little work.
Alrik Vas
Knight

They licensed Rifts to Savage Worlds, who also have a universal RPG system. There's a general explanation of it in their Wikipedia article.

SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Is the Savage World settings coming to Rifts?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

SpiritInterface wrote:Is the Savage World settings coming to Rifts?

no, the rifts setting is coming to savage worlds.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

But, generalized conversion rules will make the conversion largely a matter of putting in the time, not invention.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Mark Hall wrote:But, generalized conversion rules will make the conversion largely a matter of putting in the time, not invention.

Given the thought processes at PEG...
I doubt there will be any hard and fast math formula for converting.
It will be more of a "port the fluff not the crunch" method.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Alrik Vas
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:But, generalized conversion rules will make the conversion largely a matter of putting in the time, not invention.

Given the thought processes at PEG...
I doubt there will be any hard and fast math formula for converting.
It will be more of a "port the fluff not the crunch" method.

which is what I'm hoping for.

DeusXXX
D-Bee

Unread post by DeusXXX »

Lemme be clear: SW is awesome. It's like a comic book. For me, though, RIFTS isn't comic bookey. It's more like a violent and intense novel.

What is cool about the port is that a lot of folks will get into RIFTS who otherwise wouldn't. To be honest, lol, I'll PROBABLY get the port. But we'll see...
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Shark_Force wrote:

All motion is relative.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Hotrod wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

All motion is relative.

not really in this case.

nobody is (officially) doing a conversion of the savage worlds settings at all. a crossover in one direction does not in the slightest create a crossover in the other. once the book is completed, you should be able to play the rifts setting with the savage world rules without needing additional effort, but any desire to play the savage worlds settings using palladium's megaversal system will require you to convert everything yourself. the savage worlds rifts book certainly might assist in that, but it will not do the work for you.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

DeusXXX wrote:Lemme be clear: SW is awesome. It's like a comic book. For me, though, RIFTS isn't comic bookey. It's more like a violent and intense novel.

What is cool about the port is that a lot of folks will get into RIFTS who otherwise wouldn't. To be honest, lol, I'll PROBABLY get the port. But we'll see...

Depends on the group. My games tend to be military sci-fi with action movie pacing.
Alrik Vas
Knight

It does depend, but...sometimes your action military sci-fi meets a cosmic crapload of demons and is pulled part and eaten in an intensely violent way. :D

SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Shark_Force wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

All motion is relative.

not really in this case.

nobody is (officially) doing a conversion of the savage worlds settings at all. a crossover in one direction does not in the slightest create a crossover in the other. once the book is completed, you should be able to play the rifts setting with the savage world rules without needing additional effort, but any desire to play the savage worlds settings using palladium's megaversal system will require you to convert everything yourself. the savage worlds rifts book certainly might assist in that, but it will not do the work for you.

So unless you are going to play Savage World this whole thing is a non-event and doesn't matter to Palladium Games players at all.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Alrik Vas
Knight

This is true, it would seem.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

SpiritInterface wrote:So unless you are going to play Savage World this whole thing is a non-event and doesn't matter to Palladium Games players at all.

Except insofar as people who play Palladium worlds might see an influx of interest, including on this message board. There's a lot of folks who've played Palladium in the past but have outgrown the system (Alrik, your line "Currently it's basically that one RPG your friend designed in college that only works when he runs it." was brilliant), but may have a fondness for the settings, and be willing to engage again if the settings are married to a different ruleset. Heck, they may already have used another ruleset to play Rifts, but not talked much about it because of Palladium's no conversions policy.

Opening things up to Savage Worlds (and the inevitable cross-conversions that will happen, even if it's "Ok, so we're playing SW Rifts but we're incorporating Ghost Rock as a component in TW items...") has the potential to attract new blood, and return some prodigals. It also has the potential to change how the game is talked about on here, because it will no longer be a safe assumption that the rules in use are the Megaversal system.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”