Rifts: Hawaii

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Rifts: Hawaii

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Hawaii isn't part of the Ring of Fire. It's a volcanic hotspot, but it is not part of the Ring of Fire.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
cawest
Wanderer

Unread post by cawest »

one thing that Hawaii would be short of is metals. I could not find a single mine listed. if they are not trading then they would have to get it some were else like old ships ect. That could add something to your story.
James_9653
D-Bee

Unread post by James_9653 »

cawest wrote:one thing that Hawaii would be short of is metals. I could not find a single mine listed. if they are not trading then they would have to get it some were else like old ships ect. That could add something to your story.

Read the write up on the Foundry and Crucible for an explanation on their resources. :-D
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Mark Hall wrote:Hawaii isn't part of the Ring of Fire. It's a volcanic hotspot, but it is not part of the Ring of Fire.

I stand corrected. My better educated compadres spent several hours asking if I passed 7th grade Geography :(
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

James_9653 wrote:
cawest wrote:one thing that Hawaii would be short of is metals. I could not find a single mine listed. if they are not trading then they would have to get it some were else like old ships ect. That could add something to your story.

Read the write up on the Foundry and Crucible for an explanation on their resources. :-D

Basaltic magma is fairly metal poor. You'd get more metal, at lower energy cost, by processing seawater for the parts per million dissolved in it. You'd be looking millions of tons of seawater per ton of metal though.
(If basaltic magma had much metal in it, Hawaii would have mines on it, since that is what the whole island is made of.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
James_9653
D-Bee

Well there is some interesting research currently being conducted in particle replication. I could always go that route with a bit of a rewrite. Base elements are extracted from the magma and stripped down to their simplest molecular format, then reassembled into the desired material. Sort of a scientific version of alchemy. Lead into gold, or this case protons and electrons into titanium.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

James_9653 wrote:Well there is some interesting research currently being conducted in particle replication. I could always go that route with a bit of a rewrite. Base elements are extracted from the magma and stripped down to their simplest molecular format, then reassembled into the desired material. Sort of a scientific version of alchemy. Lead into gold, or this case protons and electrons into titanium.

Just realize that that technology is Elder Race level stuff.......Even the most advanced races in the Three Galaxies, Aliens Unlimited, Mechanoid Space and Manhunter Space can't do that. The merest hint that such tech is available and you would have pretty much every one of the great powers descend on you, either to capture it for themselves or to destroy it before it utterly destroys the economic system of the Megaverse......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

plus if you can rearrange subatomic particles to make atoms on demand, you don't need magma as a source of matter.. literally anything will suffice, including garbage, biological wastes, and the like.

personally i'd suggest instead you make the volcano facility a Geo-thermal energy facility, producing lots of electrical power from the volcanic heat. then make all the tech work off capacitors/batteries that can be recharged from that nigh-inexhuastible power source.

supplies of metal and the like can come from trade.. the west coast of america, the inca, tritonia, the australian megacities, even (if you want to use the rifter) undersea colonies could all be a source of raw materials and goods. the hawaiians trade unique tech and goods found only in their area (fruits, worked crafts, etc) in exchanged for basic staples beyond what they can grow themselves and for stuff they can't produce themselves.

trade has a few story advantages:
1 ) it gives the islands a vulnerbility to piracy and attack (be it horune, LotD, huamn faction, or your alien group), which can inject some drama due to shortages, and give more venues for plot.
2 ) it creates ties to other parts of the world, allowing those groups to appear in plotlines around the islands, and allowing islander stuff to appear in those other areas.
3 ) it gives an oppertunity for GM's to bring existing characters to the Islands.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Even if they trade in secret, in which case there's the added strain and suspense of having to maintain a cover, or go through convoluted procedures to 'launder' their purchases, or transfer them at secret arranged meet-ups, rather than sailing/flying direct for home. This problem gets worse if you're moving larger and larger volumes of materials.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
James_9653
D-Bee

Added a new article for those that are interested.

http://riftshawaii.weebly.com/campaign-tables.html
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

eliakon wrote:
James_9653 wrote:Well there is some interesting research currently being conducted in particle replication. I could always go that route with a bit of a rewrite. Base elements are extracted from the magma and stripped down to their simplest molecular format, then reassembled into the desired material. Sort of a scientific version of alchemy. Lead into gold, or this case protons and electrons into titanium.

Just realize that that technology is Elder Race level stuff.......Even the most advanced races in the Three Galaxies, Aliens Unlimited, Mechanoid Space and Manhunter Space can't do that. The merest hint that such tech is available and you would have pretty much every one of the great powers descend on you, either to capture it for themselves or to destroy it before it utterly destroys the economic system of the Megaverse......

That and you gautantee no interest from Kevin for a Rifts book.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”