Time Lords and Rifts Earth

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Time Lords and Rifts Earth

Unread post by Library Ogre »

So, assuming one wanted to fiddle about with it, has anyone worked out how Time Lords (from Transdimensional TMNT) would get along in Rifts Earth?

I figure that the Coming of the Rifts would work something like the Third Millenial Barrier does in TrTMNT... you can't go back from there, because the timelines get all jumbled (a knot made up of several thousand garden hoses, to extend Lord Simultaneous's metaphor). Given the reduction in the size of twists with each cycle, twists would be something like 115-120 years long. But how would Rifts Earth react to some of the more catastrophic effects of rewriting history, given that it's a charlie foxtrot already?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Re: Time Lords and Rifts Earth

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Mark Hall wrote:So, assuming one wanted to fiddle about with it, has anyone worked out how Time Lords (from Transdimensional TMNT) would get along in Rifts Earth?

I figure that the Coming of the Rifts would work something like the Third Millenial Barrier does in TrTMNT... you can't go back from there, because the timelines get all jumbled (a knot made up of several thousand garden hoses, to extend Lord Simultaneous's metaphor). Given the reduction in the size of twists with each cycle, twists would be something like 115-120 years long. But how would Rifts Earth react to some of the more catastrophic effects of rewriting history, given that it's a charlie foxtrot already?

Okay... Well, seeing as I haven't looked at TrTMNT, I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here.

Are these Time Lords in any way, shape, or form similar to those of the hit BBC series: Doctor Who, or do I have a completely different perspective on this?
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

yeah I read the title and thought Doctor Who also.

haven't read or looked at TMNT in decades (literally) but if I have time I'll poke about tonight
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Library Ogre

Raze_7 wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:So, assuming one wanted to fiddle about with it, has anyone worked out how Time Lords (from Transdimensional TMNT) would get along in Rifts Earth?

Okay... Well, seeing as I haven't looked at TrTMNT, I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here.

Are these Time Lords in any way, shape, or form similar to those of the hit BBC series: Doctor Who, or do I have a completely different perspective on this?

Completely different perspective.

Briefly, they are wizards with spells that let them travel through time, but only in fairly specific ways; they can't set their machine for November 5th, 1955. Rather, they have to travel in terms of "cycles" (extremely long periods of time) and "twists" (relatively short; in the current cycle, twists are 125 years long). So, one travelling from today could easily travel to 1890, or to 2140, but wouldn't be able to make 1980 without a lot more power.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think they'd get along just fine. Here's an older topic that might be relevant: http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=137948
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Mechghost wrote:yeah I read the title and thought Doctor Who also.

Me too!
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Trans D TMNT was a great book ... I would love to find a copy at this point.

I would treat the coming of the rifts as a barrier point assigning wicked penalties for trying.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Ahh, Trans TMNT...such a superior magic system than the current PPE system. Great book.

I'd imagine if the Time Lords rewrote history, it would create a parallel dimension like described in DB7. In effect, the Time Lords arrive in Rifts Earth Prime and changes something, making Rifts Earth 2 which runs concurrently as Rifts Earth Prime.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

To me Simultaneous' instructions to Renet can basically be boiled down to "the job of the timelords is to keep Rifts from happening." I guess I always assumed that on rifts earth the time lords lost. To me the kind of transdimensional chaos caused at the coming of the rifts would destroy or at least cut loose the dimensions of null time from those universes.

But, if there were some still around, I'm with you in thinking that they wouldn't be able to go back before the coming of the rifts... At least it would be super hard to hit the right dimension if you tried. It would probably get into the territory of needing ridiculously high IQ to A) understand what's going on and B) how to make a change in the past that would alter Rifts as we know it at all.

On the other hand the tdtmnt space time model does seem self repairing, and naturally returns to stable cycles and twists...

Well I'd say, they can only jump forward (and back again) and even that would be dangerous because there's no telling how much of the dimension might be compromised/overwritten by another reality between jumps. They'd probably need that skill (spell?) that you use when jumping in a different dimension -all the time. Especially if you are anywhere near a ley line.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kagashi wrote:Ahh, Trans TMNT...such a superior magic system than the current PPE system.

Like hell it was.
smashed
Wanderer

Unread post by smashed »

I incorporated them into a past campaign, but primarily as part of an effort produce an amalgam setting of the various lines and as a way to introduce some of the spells presented and the concept of temporal energy. I had the coming of the rifts destabilize the normal twists and cycles, and shatter the more stable null zones. Entering Null zones is even more unreliable and can result in you getting shunted uncontrollably through time and dimensions. Twists shift in length making it impossible to predictably travel in time currently impossible to find a cycle forward in time. Time travel is theoretically possible between pre and post Coming of the Rifts, but it results in highly unpredictable outcomes, especially if you try to hit the twists around the Coming of the Rifts.

The Time Lords themselves are still around. The 79th was shattered in half so the Time Lords can't use it to access twists and cycles from before the Rifts, and it currently only touches a few twists, though the length of them still shift along the null zone. Their current goal is to defend their home, maintain their order and try to stabilize time.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

smashed wrote:I incorporated them into a past campaign, but primarily as part of an effort produce an amalgam setting of the various lines and as a way to introduce some of the spells presented and the concept of temporal energy. I had the coming of the rifts destabilize the normal twists and cycles, and shatter the more stable null zones. Entering Null zones is even more unreliable and can result in you getting shunted uncontrollably through time and dimensions. Twists shift in length making it impossible to predictably travel in time currently impossible to find a cycle forward in time. Time travel is theoretically possible between pre and post Coming of the Rifts, but it results in highly unpredictable outcomes, especially if you try to hit the twists around the Coming of the Rifts.

The Time Lords themselves are still around. The 79th was shattered in half so the Time Lords can't use it to access twists and cycles from before the Rifts, and it currently only touches a few twists, though the length of them still shift along the null zone. Their current goal is to defend their home, maintain their order and try to stabilize time.

I really like this! :ok:
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Beast wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Ahh, Trans TMNT...such a superior magic system than the current PPE system.

Like hell it was.

Depends on what is meant by superior. It certainly allowed high-tier spells to be cast more casually, could be more fun. Sucks for mass-casting low-level spells though.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Like hell it was.

Depends on what is meant by superior. It certainly allowed high-tier spells to be cast more casually, could be more fun. Sucks for mass-casting low-level spells though.

I would say it was 'different' it wasn't superior or inferior, just different.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Differences can be superior and inferior in varying respects :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre

smashed wrote:I incorporated them into a past campaign, but primarily as part of an effort produce an amalgam setting of the various lines and as a way to introduce some of the spells presented and the concept of temporal energy. I had the coming of the rifts destabilize the normal twists and cycles, and shatter the more stable null zones. Entering Null zones is even more unreliable and can result in you getting shunted uncontrollably through time and dimensions. Twists shift in length making it impossible to predictably travel in time currently impossible to find a cycle forward in time. Time travel is theoretically possible between pre and post Coming of the Rifts, but it results in highly unpredictable outcomes, especially if you try to hit the twists around the Coming of the Rifts.

Awesome.

All Palladium Articles
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

The way I tend to see the Great Cataclysm that created Rifts Earth in relation to time travel is as follows.

The Great Cataclysm sent shockwaves not only across dimensions but also through time (both back and forwards). This is not unlike the Dr. Who episode "Fires of Pompeii" where the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius fractures time for an instant allowing the Sisterhood glimpses of what may be... and leads to a possible alternate timeline where the mountain doesn't erupt.

Anyways... back to the Great Cataclysm and Rifts Earth. This temporal shockwave travels both up and down the timestream... the closer one gets to the point of origin, the stronger the shockwave is and the greater the chance of it throwing one off course and into a different temporal era than intended. This effectively makes getting any closer than 100 to 50 years of the event nearly impossible to get to... and anything closer would be effectively blocked from any time traveler (the temporal shockwave is just too powerful to get any closer).

In this respect, it is very similar to the Third Millennium Barrier... in that one simply can not reach the exact moment of the Great Cataclysm... or within 50 to 100 years of that event, through any means of time travel... magical or technological. The released energies make it impossible to reach.

That said... it is also different from the TMB in that one can still travel past this event... in fact the temporal shockwave in a way makes it very easy to do so... as its very nature will push any time traveler along to a point where the shockwave has dissipated enough to allow "regular" time travel. Thus, as long as one isn't trying to reach the moment of the Great Cataclysm or any point within 50 to 100 years of the event... their trip will be more or less normal... though they may notice a little turbulence around the moment of the Cataclysm as they are buffeted by its temporal wake.

What this means for Time Lords (from TMNT) is that they would be aware of the event... and even the consequences of that event, but are unable to get close enough to the event to affect it. At best (and if they are very lucky) the could get to a point 50 or so years before hand, but then have to actually live in that timeline for 50 years to reach the event... something few humans would do (and despite their magical abilities, these Time Lords are still human). Yes, it would probably annoy them to no end that there is a span of 100 to 200 years they can not see or travel to... and that in that time span the Earth is utterly transformed into something barely recognizable as Earth... but then there is little they can do about it.

As a side note... when I first heard rumors of the Rifts setting 25 years ago (before the game was actually published), one of those rumors put the event that created Rifts Earth on the other side of the TMB... where Time Lords can't reach. Of course now, with the knowledge of the date when the Great Cataclysm occurred (in part due to the Chaos Earth setting), we know that this is indeed a different timeline entirely from the TMNT setting (though many assumed as much when the game came out). In fact... Chaos Earth would be roughly the same time period as After the Bomb... give or take a few years... while the main setting of Rifts would take place around the time of the Machine Civilization presented in the Transdimensional TMNT book (circa 2363).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Library Ogre

What happens if they enter the time stream near the event, then use a temporal stasis type spell to skip forward?

All Palladium Articles
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Solution for all time travel anomalies: Simultaneous comes along with that auto-correct spell, or guys beyond the Millenial Barier come along with one of those auto-correct devices.

Return to “Rifts®”