Name 3 things that need to improve in Palladium games

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Choose three things that could improve in the Palladium game

book structure
29%
occs
4%
rccs
3%
skills
15%
combat structure and speed
24%
weapons
3%
armor
No votes
gear
1%
more story structure or HLS
7%
other
13%

Total votes: 136

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Name 3 things that need to improve in Palladium games

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zenvis wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:Back to topic please - need constructive feedback on Palladium, not another system

Well, the topic at hand is what can be done to improve Palladium games, and one of the things that people have said is that they need to revamp their core system, "like D&D 3.0 did."
That part's not really discussing D&D; it's discussing what Palladium should do.

But yes, the same points can very well be made without referring to D&D.

Explain revamp... its too open ended. What needs to be done in their revamp? What have you used in the Palladium System that has worked and what has not worked? Be specific, please.

That's where D&D came in handy as a reference.
But, as I said, I suppose it can be explained without making that reference.

The core of Palladium's system is:
-A combat system based on opposed D20s
-A skill system based on unopposed (roll-under) percentile dice.
-A Saving Throw system based on roll-over D20s
-d6 based attribute generation

While that was once standard or ahead of the curve, it's generally considered to be pretty clunky these days. Every time you roll the dice, you're either rolling different dice, or you're rolling the same die a different way.
While some degree of variety is definitely good, the way things stand with this core system is that sometimes I'm using d20s, and sometimes I'm using percentile dice, and sometimes there's no real way to resolve what I'm trying to do within the rules.
If I want to clean/repair my gun, I roll d100.
If I want to fire my gun, then I roll d20.
If I want to use my Intelligence attribute to figure out a gun, then.... well, there's no completely official answer there. Some people would have you do d20 vs. Intelligence, but Palladium staff has at one point at least indicated that the proper thing would be to do roll-under percentile dice vs. Intelligence.

If I want to chuck a basketball through a hoop...
-I can roll a d20, trying to beat a certain number.
-I can make a successful Basketball skill roll on d100, trying to roll under a certain number
-I can do something else, based on attributes, and however a given GM handles attribute resolution.

It's not exactly rocket science, but it's more confusing to switch back and forth between roll-over d20s and roll-under percentile dice, than to just pick one resolution mechanic and to stick with it.
It's not necessarily wrong that skills and combat attacks use different mechanisms, but it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense why using my Weapon Proficiency skills works so differently from using other Skills.
And since neither combat nor skills are based on rolling Xd6, why are attributes that way? And how do you resolve attempts to do something useful with attributes?

What are the gains from having the system set up this way?
What are the costs?

I don't think that Palladium has really thought about those questions, not in terms of the overall system.
As the system is:
-It's hard to make skills interact with combat attacks.
-It's hard to make combat attacks interact with attributes.
-It's hard to make skills interact with attributes.

And there's stuff like Perception that doesn't really work the same as any of the other stuff.

Meanwhile, there are countless systems out there that take one resolution mechanic, and make that one thing the core of the system.
Those systems are easy to learn, easier to play, easier to improvise with, and are overall more versatile in what the rules can allow you to do.

Say you have a generic system that replaces Palladium's variety of resolution mechanics with just d10s (and there ARE systems out there like that).
If you need to roll attributes, you roll a d10.
If you need to roll an attack, you roll a d10.
If you need to roll a skill, you roll a d10.
If you need to oppose your attributes vs. somebody else's attributes, you both roll d10s and add modifiers.
If you need to oppose your attribute vs. an attack for some reason, you both roll d10s and add modifiers.
If you need to oppose your attributes. vs. a skill for some reason, you both roll d10s and add modifiers.
If you need to oppose an incoming attack with a skill, then you yet again both roll d10s and add modifiers.

It's simple. It's elegant.
And it's more versatile than Palladium's system, where if you need to throw a baseball at somebody's head during combat, your basketball skill of 98% doesn't do anything to help you hit the target.
Or where if you have the Arm Wrestling skill, and you're arm wrestling somebody without that skill, there's no official way to resolve things.

Or where if one character attempts to use his Prowl skill, up until RUE there was no way to oppose his roll (in Rifts). Either he makes his skill check, and breezes past you, or he doesn't, and the GM decides whether he's seen or not, regardless of your own abilities.
Post-RUE, there's Perception, which has the inelegant solution of having the Prowler roll d100 for his skill check, then roll a d20 to oppose your Perception score. The Prowler gets +1 to his d20 for ever 10 points of his Prowl score, and the person with Perception gets his usual Perception bonuses.
In a stealth-based game, this can get very tedious, very very quickly.
Whereas in that generic D10 system above, the Prowler only has to make the one roll, and it can instantly be matched against any means that the opposition has which might detect him.
If it's an observation type skill, then it's D10 based, and can easily be matched vs. the Prowl roll without modification.
If it's an attribute, then it's again d10 based, and can again be easily be matched vs. the Prowl roll without modification.
And so forth.
The net result is that a stealth-based Rifts game requires a Prowler to make twice as many rolls as in that generic D10 game.

And you have other tack-ons causing other problems.

For example, SDC for living beings is a tack-on.
It wasn't in PFRPG1 and other early Palladium games only had Hit Points.
Why's that a problem?
Because weapon damage was based on targets only having HP, NOT on them having HP+SDC.
Having SDC makes people roughly 2x as tough (at least) at first level, which means that they're at least 2x more impervious to knives, swords, and bullets.
So now when somebody pulls a 1d6 knife on you... you don't really care. You know it's not likely to seriously injure you.
Which kills realism for the game, because characters behave ways that people simply don't behave in real life. They charge into gunfire or spears, because they know that they'll survive getting shot or stabbed.
And it makes combat take longer. Roughly 2x (or more) longer, in fact, because now you can't just dispatch an NPC cannon-fodder guard with a single thrust of your blade, now you have to stab or shoot them multiple times before they drop, even with successful hits.
An average first-level character is going to have about 14 Hit Points on average, plus another (as of RUE) 19 SDC, for a total of 33 HP/SDC combined.
A Long Bow arrow does 2d6 damage, for an average of 7.
So in order to drop an average first-level character who has NO bonuses to HP/SDC/PE from skills or anything, a professional long bowman is going to have to shoot FIVE arrows into the guy.
Even with maximum damage (12 SDC), you're still going to need to shoot that McDonalds' clerk with THREE arrows to get him to drop.
Even with maximum damage and a critical strike, you're still going to need to shoot Pee-Wee Herman (assuming he's first level) TWO TIMES in order to drop him.
Why?
Because the damage for weapons wasn't updated once SDC was tacked onto the game.

Then there's the Two Attacks For Living, which wasn't in Rifts originally, then was added sometime around the Atlantis book, without mention.
So now your average first level character goes from 2 attacks to 4 attacks per melee.
But animals don't, so now your average guy on the street can attack twice as fast as a puma, bear, or weasel.
And Juicers didn't get a boost, so now instead of being twice as fast as a normal human, they're only 50% faster. (Same with robots, vampires, and other stuff, btw)
And mages who used to be able to hold their own a bit in combat with their 2 spells per melee suddenly found themselves only getting of 1 spell for every two times the got shot.

Then there's the Mage Armor rule, which came out without any new types of armor for mages. RUE finally introduced one generic kind, for LLWs, but the rule is still that most mages start off their adventures with armor that impedes their spellcasting abilities.
And the way that the armor impedes spellcasting is to require extra math and extra dice rolls every time you cast a spell, further bogging down combat.

When I say "revamp," I mean "set the entire system aside, figure out how you want it to feel to play Rifts, then only bring back the mechanisms that facilitate that feeling, and modify the rest into a streamlined, unified system where the different aspects interact easily and logically with each other."

Does that answer your question?

Edit:
Oh, and needless to say, all the tacked-on rules, scattered through countless books, often in obscure or unexpected places, means that NOBODY is likely to ever run even a single combat while successfully remembering and utilizing all of the different rules.
Another issue that comes from decades of rules-bloat, which comes from tacking on new rules instead of updating/fixing the core of the system
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

The Fuzion system by R. Talsorian would be one of those D10 systems.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

The 40k RPGs use this system as well. I've been playing both systems and I do prefer the one die mechanic over needing different typs of dice. It uses a d10 for everything. It's simple and easy to mess with when I want to change something. What I like about that system is character creation.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I was a fan of the old D6 system for the original Star Wars RPG by West End Games. No exotic dice were needed, character sheets could fit on half a page, and weapons scaled appropriately. Too bad that company lost its license (and its shirt, from what I hear).

A single-dice system could be convenient, but I don't necessarily mind using an array of different dice. KC makes a good point though, about skills vs combat vs saving throws vs perception... it gets very complicated, very fast. Having a common standard would streamline things nicely.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

I actually like using a variety of different dice over the course of a game.
Just not gratuitously, and not when it interferes with easy gameplay.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

If PB switched to just one die type, I'd prefer it to be d%-based like the old CoC system.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I'm not a big fan of % bases systems. Espcially roll under ones. It's so damn hard to roll low most of the time. It's why while I like the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay rpg for it's setting. The dice mechanic not so much. Too often it just felt like "I swing and I miss" because the starting values were imo too low. At least with PB the starting values on most skills are easy to beat imo.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

I'm kinda the opposite of all the above sentiments. The palladium system has been my favorite system since I stopped playing 2e. A lot of the suggestions for how to modernize it to make it more like its contemporaries would in fact make it less enjoyable for me. Its mechanics do set it apart from modern games, but there's been some avid discussions in other community forums about the 'worst and most far reaching bad ideas in gaming' and things like a unified system like d20 and feat trees and dice pools, all hallmarks of modern gaming, are given a thorough lambasting even within communities whose primary systems are based on those very things.

I'm opposed to large sweeping fundamental changes to the system mechanics, especially if the only purpose of doing it is to 'homogenize it' with modern day gaming mechanics. Sometimes newer isn't better. I've even found it tough to get my mind around the changes to 'what are the rules about dodging gunfire'... moving target, speed of target... seems like fine tuning for realism and it just adds difficulty in processing the scenario that I'm not sure 'adds' to the game in any way. So for sure there are things that could be improved...

For me personally the strength of the system is that its NOT these other systems and avoids a lot of their pitfalls. We dont use feat trees so we dont have the problem of designing characters from level 15 down... we dont have feats at all so we dont have the problem of adding new feats creating the 'air breathing mermaid problem'. When I think about all the conversations we get to AVOID using this system. Gads... No 'linear vs quadratic' problems. No 'wizards are too powerful' problem. No 'fighters and thieves suck' problem. No stormwind fallacy conversations. No 'you are your loot' problem. No 'you gimped me by taking away my gear rendering me irrelevant' problems..

So many ire filled conversations that simply don't happen as much on this side of the fence. Its a cathartic system to play in.

A lot of 'new game design' is not good game design and creates as many problems as it solves, so for me its about fine tuning more than 'doing things in completely different ways'

In the interest of staying on topic then, if I had to pick 3 things that need to improve
-the 'bonuses and penalties section of dodging bullets and energy blasts on 361 of rifts core ultimate is too granular and not necessary.
-strike bonuses leveling up from modern weapon proficiencies (page 360) isnt really necessary and the above rule seems to interact with it
(find an excuse to give a bonus and you must then find an excuse to add a penalty or vise versa...)
-and of course since I prefer heroes and ninjas to rifts its because of mdc. We've been toying with armor rating as damage reduction and it's not working out too bad.
Sureshot
Champion

Modern game design should not be ignored simply because it's modern game design either imo. Another rehash like RUE is simply not going to do well. It may do well with the hardcore fanbase but to attract new fans not so much imo. Even Pathfinder one of the more successful versions of D&D is just a rehash of 3.5 with a few houserules added in. If your not going to offer something new then don't bother. Or at the very least just work on a optional sourcebook that streamlines the system. While leaving the core as is. Even Paizo with their Pathfinder Unchained is saying without saying that they consider 5E a threat. To simply ignore what has been done in modern rpgs simply because it's modern and new would be wrong. Their a reason why some rpgs are still current and popular and some while still around just not as popular. PB needs both a flavorful rpg ans well as a profitable one. While I think the rules as is are very flavorful. They are not as profitable as they used to be either imo.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I agree it is a tricky balance. My modern day gaming buck is still spent on palladium. Part of me wishes it was more mainstream but another part of me is really glad it isn't catering to the types of gamers that flock to the most popular systems of the moment. Sure palladium may not be bringing in the same kind of revenue that paizo or wotc are pulling, but they dont have to line the pockets of big business shareholders either, and by staying true to their mechanic, they attract the type of player who likes that mechanic... So while it might be harder to find people to game with, the folks I do find mesh much more easily to my particular playstyle. When you read the little tidbits from Kevin about his value systems, mindset and methodology for not just how a thing should be handled but why its handled a particular way... It attracts a particular kind of gamer that shares those values, and those are values that I share.

A fantastically versatile scope of possible campaigns, but less rules lawyering and unmet expectations. Despite the fact that I have to houserule a lot of stuff at my table, the folks who show up to it are pretty laid back about it. Its a good balance for me at least.

Sure the paizo boards might be more active... but the tone of those posts is comparitively much less one of a 'community coming together.'

Its all about training to goal. Power lifters dont run marathons and marathon runners dont hit the heavy weights... Both systems are great at what they do and horrible at what the other guy does. The world is big enough for both, and trying to make one into the other only makes someone who's not that great at either. Palladium doesnt have to be madonna. It doesnt have to reinvent itself every few years to stay relevent. Sure you can make it to the top of the charts... But thats where Bieber fans are... *shudder*

Palladium is my Neil Diamond.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

but less rules lawyering

you meed to dig through these forums a little more......
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest

jaymz wrote:
but less rules lawyering

you meed to dig through these forums a little more......

Yes.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Vincent Takeda wrote:I agree it is a tricky balance. My modern day gaming buck is still spent on palladium. Part of me wishes it was more mainstream but another part of me is really glad it isn't catering to the types of gamers that flock to the most popular systems of the moment. Sure palladium may not be bringing in the same kind of revenue that paizo or wotc are pulling, but they dont have to line the pockets of big business shareholders either, and by staying true to their mechanic, they attract the type of player who likes that mechanic... So while it might be harder to find people to game with, the folks I do find mesh much more easily to my particular playstyle. When you read the little tidbits from Kevin about his value systems, mindset and methodology for not just how a thing should be handled but why its handled a particular way... It attracts a particular kind of gamer that shares those values, and those are values that I share.

A fantastically versatile scope of possible campaigns, but less rules lawyering and unmet expectations. Despite the fact that I have to houserule a lot of stuff at my table, the folks who show up to it are pretty laid back about it. Its a good balance for me at least.

Sure the paizo boards might be more active... but the tone of those posts is comparitively much less one of a 'community coming together.'

Its all about training to goal. Power lifters dont run marathons and marathon runners dont hit the heavy weights... Both systems are great at what they do and horrible at what the other guy does. The world is big enough for both, and trying to make one into the other only makes someone who's not that great at either. Palladium doesnt have to be madonna. It doesnt have to reinvent itself every few years to stay relevent. Sure you can make it to the top of the charts... But thats where Bieber fans are... *shudder*

Palladium is my Neil Diamond.

Both of your posts so far have confused me, because I don't know of anybody suggesting that Palladium update in order to be trendy, but rather to fix the system, which didn't have the sturdiest engine to begin with, and which has had decades of accumulated changes, tack-ons, and revisions turn things into a general mess.

What exactly is it that you think that the Palladium core system is good at, which would be compromised by a more sensible, versatile, and unified system?

Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I think a more unified system is a good thing if what we're saying here is a 'system that indeed handles rifts and heroes and ninjas and zombies the same.' The most difficult part of the palladium material for me personally is the introduction of 'it works a little differently here' thats hard to keep track of when jumping from system to system. So in that context, unified is a good goal.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the term 'sensible'... Thats one of those nebulous terms like the word 'fun'... Its super subjective so its not the kind of moving goalpost that is wortht the time to hit. For me the palladium system is 'sensible'. The lack of balance, the fact that different things resolve using different methods... That makes sense to me. I shouldnt make an 'attack roll' 'to hit' the gap when trying to drive between two cars as I race down the highway... For me personally, in a way, reducing complexity makes the nuts and bolts of the system makes the world itself seem less complex, which lends itself to making the game seem less like a 'simulator' than a 'game'.

Same thing with 'rules heavy'. Might seem like a good idea if you want to attract a certain customer base, but if there's one lesson you learn from decades of gaming, it's that no matter how carefully you word a rule, two different people will twist whatever words you give them to mean whatever serves them best, and at the end of the day none of it mattered because there will be those that follow the rule and ardently demand that others do so, while others raucously handwave rules and engineer houserules of their own... The only thing you accomplish is dividing your own community, which is at least a small part of why TSR died. Publishers do have to think about these kinds of things if they want to remain in the industry. I'm not against 'innovating', but I'm not as keen on innovation for innovations sake. Sometimes the road less traveled is less travelled for a reason. I'd like to think the reason this system doesnt attempt to change is that Kevin is making an active decision not to let it go there.

Maybe you like d20... by all means go there and do that at your table... Maybe you like dice pools... by all means go there and do that at your table... Maybe you like feats... By all means go there and do that at your table... Talk about it on the forums. But know the boundaries between what the system is and what is a houserule. The day you find something that is unilaterally better to everyone in the hobby is the day you try to incorporate that into the system, and d20 and dice pools and feats arent necessarily 'hands down a better idea'. What I mean to say is that while its abjectly true that when I try to incorporate ninjas into my heroes game, or heroes into my rifts game, or my zombies into my heroes game... There are unique mechanics to those systems whose interactions need to be ironed out. More than anything else my gaming experience has taught me that what I think is the 'one true way' to iron out those issues is the opposite of a lot of other people's 'one true way' to iron out those exact same issues. This is why rules light and 'publisher suggestions' are a good way to go with those little nuances.

I may be spitballing a little since one thing I'm not too educated about is the way the industry handles open licensing or OGL... perhaps making something d20 compatible means the publisher must pay royalties... open licencing may not necessarily mean 'without financial consequence to the publisher' and Kevin, more than anyone else in the industry is pretty keen on keeping his IP close to his chest and not paying someone else for what he puts on the shelf... So there may be something there and I'd fully support his efforts in that pursuit. If changing to a more popular contemporary system would comprimise either his IP or his ability to keep all his revenue in house, I can see why he's avoiding it.

For me 'what the system is good at' is being what it is. Its diverse mechanics help me not think of it as just passing a bunch of chits and tapping a bunch of cards and countering a bunch of other cards. Its fine tuning small revisions are the appropriate way to handle when things don't turn out necessarily to be a good thing. Make no mistake, you're right. It is a bit messy. But its one thing to say your stuff is poorly organized and another to say you have poor stuff. You address those two issues individually... You try to clean up the organization... and you try to fix the poor stuff you have so that it's nice stuff... What you don't do is try to clean up a messy house full of poor stuff by packing everything you own that isnt broken and moving into someone else's nice clean house full of stuff that isn't yours.

So maybe Kevin's house is not as clean as other people's houses. What makes me want to go to Kevin's house is that I like what kevin's doing with his house. It feels disorganized but comfy. Sure, clean it up here and there and sure, repair the things that don't quite work as well as they should, but don't just throw out the baby with the bathwater... The stuff in Kevin's house is stuff that I think is cool and if enough people agree then he can have a small party at his house every weekend where the only people who show up to it are the one's who appreciate that stuff and aren't as worried about the odd pile of knicknacks on the table or in a corner... Sure he could clean and remodel and buy an iphone like the folks next door with their wine tasting parties and poodle dying competitions... But if there's enough people here already to have a fun party, I'm not sure why you'd have any interest in inviting over the neighbors who only care about your house if they can use it as a place to get wasted on weak liquor and paint thier poodles...

The trick here is that little demon of self affirmation that people often seek. 'You should like what I like. I like it because its better (for me) and if you don't agree then maybe you're having trouble seeing why its better because clearly it is or I wouldnt like it better.' Of course your own personal house can have some stuff in it that Kevin made. Of course you can have some stuff in your house that paizo and wotc made... And have a party at your house that caters to your favorite personal blend and style... Its another thing to do that and then suggest 'Kevin should move in to my place'.

Right now I like Kevins place for being what it is, not for trying to be what other people want it to be. It is perfect in its imperfections. Maybe when I come over I have to move a stack of rules in order to sit down on the couch and have a good time. But thats ok in Kevin's house. The fact that the wet bar is a tiki bar and not a marble top neon art deco piece doesnt make or break the party for me. It adds to my enjoyment instead of detracting from it.

A 67 gto may not have 20 airbags and crumple zones... not the most comfortable, and its certainly not the fastest car on the road anymore... But i'd rather tinker and tune it and keep it in working order than get that 2015 camaro. Its got style.

Sorry if that doesnt cleanly and concisely answer your question... I find clean concise answers don't adequately reflect my sentiments on the matter. Making the little inter system fiddly bits operate across all palladium systems would make it work better for me personally, but changing to a d20 system or dice pool or adding feats isn't, to me, 'fixing anything' Its adding something that I think is broken or fundamentally changing what the system in fact 'is'.

'Fixing the system' by going to d20 or something of the like would steer me away from it, while probably inviting hoards of d20 fans to the property, so in that way its a financial thing to be weighed... But there are also artistic and possibly legal factors to weigh there as well... Sell your art and not your soul covers one facet of that (read: kevin doesnt do it that way because that way is not the way kevin is), while legal factors may offset the financial gain/return on investment of the added revenue a d20 audience effort might bring.

I feel a little bad mentioning it since the observation is a version of threadcrapping a bit... I mean the thread title is '3 things that need to improve' not 'name the things that if Kevin changed them would make you run for the hills.

I did at least give 3 things I would be ok with changing in my earlier post. Making the different palladium titles work better with each other, reorganize, get rid of mdc. Right now getting rid of mdc is a printed optional houserule so its kinda already been covered, and of course it could be argued that getting rid of mdc would fundamentally make rifts into something that it is not, so I see why such a thing 'doesn't happen'

I do totally agree with the 'edit' part of your post on the top of this page that little custom tacked on rules should be ironed out. That kind of 'spaghetti programming' does get in the way of running things smoothly. Oh I see. Thats how it works in dead reign. thats new. thats different. I would prefer all of the palladium systems to be internally consistant with each other. I wouldnt prefer them to use a unified dice mechanic.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Since by and large what we're talking about is 'what are the things that cause problems for you in the system'
And thus it follows that you've done something at your personal table to solve that problem...
I really like the idea of tackling those problems and solutions on an item by item basis as homebrew suggestions.

I mean as an example
Problem: Dont like mdc
Homebrew Solution: tend to play heroes/ninjas system instead of rifts even if the setting is rifts...
Bonus round: Troubles with homebrew solution: Involves either lots of stat conversions which is its own kind of problem or coming up with a template that can be uniformly applied to do the conversion.

Problem: Armor's armor rating's intent is to establish both an ability to ignore and also to absorb damage. Armor both resists damage but also takes damage. I find the mechanic clunky.
Homebrew solution: I use AR as DR. That way the armor is both still taking some damage, but is also resisting some damage. Works pretty well for me. Armor lasts longer so the players arent so focused on gear aquisition and maintenance.
Trouble with homebrew solution: Didnt work so well with dead reign's zombie ar. Would take a fantastic swing to chop off a zombie's head with a katana using this mechanic. A katana that does 2d4+2 means nothing if the zombie's neck has DR14 instead of AR14. Then again zombie combat rules in dead reign as a whole are a significantly different animal than combat in other palladium systems...

This is changing the nature of the conversation a little bit though... We're no longer talking about generalizations... 'Things that need to improve' but more specifically about 'things that we find troublesome and how individually we solve those specific narrow granular problems that others might enjoy.

In this way i'm kind of agreeing with the OP about being too general... I came into the thread expecting sort of a 'here are some neat things we do at our table' and instead found more of a nebulous sort of 'clean this up, revamp this, fundamentally change the way this whole thing works' kind of thing...

I guess I'd like it better if when we say something like "I dont like the skill system" we could instead say "I've never liked the skill system so here's how we handle it at my table and here's the troubles we've run into in trying that out." instead of a general sort of 'we need to fix it' without being very specific about what specific parts of it do we not like, why we dont like those specific things, and what specifically we've done at our tables to make it work better for us.
Last edited by Vincent Takeda on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Problem: the ranged combat stuff from rifts ultimate page 360 and 361 seem to add realistic complexity to the system, but the user experience for me is that they are simply adding some offensive bonuses and defensive bonuses to offset each other, accomplishing little at the end of the day. It is excitingly granular conceptually but is cumbersome in execution.
Homebrew solution: I dont use them.
Trouble with the homebrew solution: Hard to convince some folks that a guy with a +3 is at the top of his game already. For some folks theres just no such thing as a skillcap.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

If you look at the poll, and at what is mostly being said, most here are actually asking for Kevin to just clean up his house and put things where they actually belong. I mean, it isn't that it is cluttered that necessarily bugs us so much, as it is that he does things like store the fresh fruit in a basket over the toilet.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Sureshot
Champion

That's the Catch 22 PB faces imo. A new system and it alienates fans. Or change nothing and those that dislike the system. Are simply not going to return if you offer it unchanged again. The main complaint from those who actually played it and left for other rpgs. Is they love the settings and hate the rules. Add to this that PB faces a lot more competition in the rpg market means that somehow they have to both offer something new and fresh. But not enough to alienate the current fans. Which I'm not sure is simply possible. With time and work one could easily run any of PB rpgs with Savage Worlds, Fate, Hero System, Gurps, Unisystem. In some cases it's not even any competition. Mutants and Masterminds and Champions does superheroes so much better then Heroes Unlimited imo. Without the design baggage of it's creator. Give me any comic character and it can be done somewhat easily with the two first rpgs. Not so much with HU. The goal and again I'm not sure if it can be done with the current set of rules. Is to offer something that is a viable alternative to existing rpgs.

Enlightened Grognard

Killer Cyborg
Priest

palladiumjunkie wrote:If you look at the poll, and at what is mostly being said, most here are actually asking for Kevin to just clean up his house and put things where they actually belong. I mean, it isn't that it is cluttered that necessarily bugs us so much, as it is that he does things like store the fresh fruit in a basket over the toilet.

-Chris

I suspect, though, that if Palladium's rules system WAS to be re-organized to where all the rules were in plain view, a lot of people might be unpleasantly surprised at what they saw.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

You know, a major rules revisit could actually be beneficial. Without having to re-hash the fluff text, Palladium could come out with new editions that players and GM's would buy. Granted, it's Kevin; he doesn't like to call something a new edition without a significant amount of new material (which I respect), but from a business perspective it's not a lose-lose. He could avoid alienating folks who don't want to buy the new editions by offering up some conversion rules/guidelines.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I will say I am kind of curious which specific particular things mutants and masterminds and champions does differently that you like better about them... 'so much better' and 'design baggage of its creator' and 'not even any competition' I think are interesting statements but I'd be personally edified by more specific examples.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I suspect, though, that if Palladium's rules system WAS to be re-organized to where all the rules were in plain view, a lot of people might be unpleasantly surprised at what they saw.

I found compiling the actual rules into a Word document to be very instructive, and not at all unpleasant. I am a little on the obsessive side though. My only comments with regard to what I found, the game is not complete and the parts don't work well together. Which I think has already been established upthread; maybe a couple times.

That said, it's still a lot of fun to play with. I enjoy the setting and I know the rules (my interpretation of them at any rate) well enough to run the game on the fly. I even try to convince jaded folks who dislike the game that it's worth a second look and new players used to slicker products that they should give it a chance. I'd love to have a hot new version with a revised Palladium engine that takes the best of what is in there and tries to clean up the rough spots as a whole, rather than with patches and work-arounds. It would make my job a lot easier.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Bill wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I suspect, though, that if Palladium's rules system WAS to be re-organized to where all the rules were in plain view, a lot of people might be unpleasantly surprised at what they saw.

I found compiling the actual rules into a Word document to be very instructive, and not at all unpleasant. I am a little on the obsessive side though. My only comments with regard to what I found, the game is not complete and the parts don't work well together. Which I think has already been established upthread; maybe a couple times.

I am also pretty obsessive when it comes to things like that. I have compiled all sorts of rules and page references and made cheat sheets and stuff like that. I find having the combat cheat sheets is what made my group enjoy playing again.

I think the thing I learned most from spending so much time compiling the rules for myself is that there are a lot more things that are actually covered somewhere in the rules than I previously thought.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

BuzzardB wrote:I think the thing I learned most from spending so much time compiling the rules for myself is that there are a lot more things that are actually covered somewhere in the rules than I previously thought.

Definitely! That's why coherent editing is my number one demand. The rules are much easier to use when they can be found! :lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Bill wrote:

I also feel that it has been established, but there are plenty of people who feel otherwise.

That said, it's still a lot of fun to play with.

Indeed.

parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

In writing my supplement to HU, I wanted to add tables in the back to help readers. I put a lot of the rules into cheat-sheet tables and found it wasn't so bad. Of course, Rifts is much more complicated.

However, it occurred to me as I was doing this that I was essentially giving away the game. That is, with everything in a few pages of tables, there isn't much left to sell. I wonder if that goes into the equation - bad design actually helps protect the intellectual property. Not saying it's intentional, but a feature less than a bug.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. As there's a considerable talk about the rules, I figured I'd mention what I'd like to see done with them.

1: A rules light system. This has been discussed in the past. Basically strip the system down to the bare essentials, a framework to build on, and then let players and G.M. build from there. This is what I feel Palladium really should be at it's heart, but I admit that's my personal opinion. This is the set of rules that would be included with the various settings main book. And when I say light, I mean probably less than what's there now. The system should be quick and easy to learn, even include a quick character generation option similar to the one in Robotech Shadow Chronicles (I haven't actually looked that closely at it, I just know it's there). Basically make it simple and easy to jump into (yet still compatible with what we know now). This also helps cut down on the space each main book dedicates to restating the rules.

2: A rules heavy expansion. While Kevin and crew probably aren't big on the idea of a dedicated rule book, I'd like to then see one dedicated book dealing with expanded rules. This would include things like dealing with environment (extreme heat, extreme cold, etc.), expanded combat (flanking, attacks from behind, etc.), and all those other little details. Most of this would be what exists now, but collected and organized (as well as cleaned up and maybe a few new one thrown in). This would build upon the light system, but considered optional. By making it a separate (yet compatible) rule set, it works with those who want a lot of details in their rules, while also working with those of us (such as myself) who like the lighter versions. The expanded rules (would if possible) be designed to work with ALL game settings. Note: Any new editions/major revisions will occur here, hopefully still compatible with the core system. This will help the fan base stick being forced to buy an entirely new edition, while still allowing the system to update (anything that's not directly connected to the core/light system).

To give a quick example of what I mean ...

The light system would include something like Character Generation (possibly human only), Skills (some), and basic combat (I'd probably strip it down to strike, parry, and dodge ... maybe just strike and a generic defense). Maybe include psychic and magic saving throws.

The heavy system would include things like more details for including various races into Character Generation, expanded skill list, expanded combat (which would include things like roll with punch, entangle, disarm, movement during combat, etc.), environmental rules, expanding saving throw list (save vs. poisons/toxins, save vs. horror factor, etc.). Whatever's not part of the core light system would find it's way here.

Just my current thought process on the matter and decided to share. Kind of curious if other people think it would be a good or bad idea to set up the system in that way. Anyways, I think that's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Sureshot
Champion

I don't understand the dislike. Dare I say fear on the part of Kevin and company on a dedicated rule book. If it helps deal with rules issues. Repairs some of the gaps in the rules. Makes the system better overall where is the negative imo. It's like living in a leaky house that has a roof that keeps getting repaired. When while it's more expensive in the short term better to simply rip off the old roof and put in a new one. Beyond not wanting to work on such a book I see no negative or to be blunt good, logical reasons for not doing such a book.

Enlightened Grognard

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Sureshot wrote:It's like living in a leaky house that has a roof that keeps getting repaired. When while it's more expensive in the short term better to simply rip off the old roof and put in a new one.

Pretty much.

Sureshot
Champion

OMG KC and I keep agreeing with each other. I need to mark this day on the calender ;)

I like the 40K and from what I heard about the FFG Star Wars rpg as well. I stopped buying the core for 40K and pass on SW because of the the same material being rehashed twice. How many times do I need to be told what a Bolter or a Melta Gun is. Or what Chaos. Or what a repeating or Wookie Bowcaster is. I get making a rpg self contained if it is truly different from the others. Even with PB how many times do I need to be told what SDC/MDC is. I rather have one core book and settings built upon that. I would love to see the Rifts Core book without the rules. With more setting information. Some might say that having a core rulebook means more money being spent. Except don't play or get into rpgs if you don't want to spend money. The 40K rpg core books retail for 50$ or more and a large amount of the material is simply rehash about 70-80% of it. Why should I have to pay for material I already own.

Enlightened Grognard

Diamond_Spear
D-Bee

Unread post by Diamond_Spear »

Vincent Takeda wrote:I will say I am kind of curious which specific particular things mutants and masterminds and champions does differently that you like better about them... 'so much better' and 'design baggage of its creator' and 'not even any competition' I think are interesting statements but I'd be personally edified by more specific examples.

The HERO system was built specifically as a toolkit to allow you to build any kind of character you can think of. It uses a system of base powers plus modifiers that allow you to simulate pretty much anything you can think of. Palladium, being a class/level system with a limited number of powers listed on tables (many of which are "random roll") simply doesn't allow for the type of complete character customization that HERO does. The two approaches are very different. Now the cost of the HERO system's flexibility tends to be more upfront complexity but once you've got something created the game itself is rather easy to run due to its single mechanic resolution system.

Another of the HERO system's strengths is that everything in the system from characters to vehicles to bases is built exactly the same way using exactly the same terms, characteristics, etc.
"If nothing we do matters, then the only thing that matters is what we do."

My country, the United States of America, died at 10:15 a.m. on June 28th, 2012. R.I.P.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I havent had a chance to check out the 5e or 5e revised version of the game. I ran kicking and screaming from one of the earlier renditions of it due to its use of d20, feats, fate points, toughness/wounds like warhammer 1e... It was like a smorgasbord of things I dont like in a system. I wonder how much of that is still part of the 5e version.
Sureshot
Champion

I think your getting your rpgs confused. Mutants and Masterminds has D20, feats. Hero System use a D6 in terms of dice.

Enlightened Grognard

Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Thats possible. For some reason I actually thought the HERO system was the evolution of the mutants and masterminds or champions system.... When we say d6...do we mean dice pools?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Thats possible. For some reason I actually thought the HERO system was the evolution of the mutants and masterminds or champions system.... When we say d6...do we mean dice pools?

Hero predates M&M (2002). Champions (1981) is the original game that the universal Hero System (1989) ultimately grew out of. It uses 3d6 for skill resolution. Damage is a variable number of d6. I think the most I ever threw was 30d6. My character fell out of orbit. :clown:
Sureshot
Champion

Well they do mention at least in 6E to use common sense. If I was the GM I would have not even made you roll. Unless your character had high defences and/or a ability to absorb damage. A fall from orbit usually means instant death. Or a heavily injured character.

The system is rules heavy. But if a person stays with the regular rules. It's actually quite easy imo. It can build any and every character imo. It's funny because one of the complaints about M&M 3E is that it's more rules heavy then previous editions. Which I think is unavoidable if one wants to have a core rulebook that is as complete as can be.

Enlightened Grognard

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Stay on target. Stay on target...
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Zenvis wrote:Stay on target. Stay on target...

LOOSEN UP!
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I CANT SHAKE HIM!

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”