Indie Rifts Mud in Development

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

Indie Rifts Mud in Development

Unread post by Hallsofvallhalla »

Hey all.
I am currently in development of a Rifts web based "Mud" and I need some content writers. Now before a bunch of comments get posted about, "get permission" and such let me just say I have no intention of running this against Palladium's wishes. However as I have learned with several games before this, you will never get permission without something to show first. Ideas do not sell. Products sell. This Mud or more like PBBG(Persistant Browser Based Game) which I have already began development on will be free to play and will be at the mercy of Palladium books as well as be open source to them. It will stay open on my dime as long as they let it and every attempt at pushing players to Palladium stores and sites will be used. I will never accept a dime for this project and if somehow a donation was made it would either be rejected or sent to Palladium books.
So on that note you will receive nothing more than in game bonus's for your help. This is not for monetary gain but more of another outlet to enjoy the Palladium Universe.

As far as the engine is concerned it is built upon the idea that if I had to change content I could very easily as to not have to scrap the whole product. I could change the name to Rift and steal a bunch of ideas like other MMOs like to do :P That was a joke btw.

Current and Upcoming Features
Massive World - Easily contain several hundred thousand locations
Palladium System - Classes, Races, Equipment, skills, ect.. Need a list? Go buy some books..
Player Balanced - Players control the market in a sense.
Player Owned..well everything - Shops, houses, land, ect..
Vehicles - yup that Death's Head Stalker will look good in your garage.
Pets - Still working all the details on this one
Every Changing Landscape - Things grow and die in the world
Admin and GM Panels - For world building and GM functions - "/Help I am stuck!"
Clans or Mercenary Groups - Nothing like owning your own Merc group with your friends!
Special Events
Crafting
Much Easier than Standard Muds

Way Future Feature Planned
Large Scale Warfare
Lottery/Gaming
Space/Dimensions

Right now my biggest issue is creating all the content that will go into this. Let me also say this engine is not ready as of right now. I am still developing it. At first I was going to have 90% of it done before enlisting help but then realized that it would be much harder to change everything later if someone else found a flaw or had a better idea about how to approach certain features. I can assure you this will be completed and would have been already had not some things come up. I even have a post on here from some time ago about building this.
The engine is built upon NodeJS which is more than capable of hundreds of thousands of connections and it is completely web based and mobile compatible. Remember however that it is a graphical mud. Pictures as well as text to describe areas and instances but NOT a 3d game or even a side scroller type action game. It is however fully multiplayer and things happen in real time.

If you have any interest in helping on a project like this post here or PM me. If you would just rather bash the idea or find negative things around it then don't bother. I am not building this for you. This has been a dream of mine for some time and I plan on climbing Mt Everest if I must to get this running. With that said I am very open to comments and suggestions on the game.

Thanks!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Indie Rifts Mud in Development

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Hallsofvallhalla wrote:However as I have learned with several games before this, you will never get permission without something to show first. Ideas do not sell. Products sell.

Well said! If I were any good with computers I'd volunteer in a minute. Alas, my skills come down to typing (slowly) on a keyboard and the occasional use of an emoticon. :-? So I am relegated to the cheering section, but cheer for you I will! :ok:
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

A web-based MUD? Booo!
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Will this be a true MUD, or more of a MUSH/MUX?
Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

boo for web based mud? Why so? It is compatible with everything! Can be played on anything! No need to install, reinstall for updates, ect.. Can't get much better than that.

This will be a true mud. Travel a universe exploring, fighting, building, ect.. With the first version however it is traveling Chi Town, the wilderness, the New West, and so many awesome places in the world of Rifts. Yes you will have a lot of interaction with other players but if you don't want to you do not have to.

I do not have any requirements for "computer skills" I need world builders.

I have been torn between my two Rifts projects, this and a virtual tabletop and I just feel this may be used more but could be wrong as well as this has been a dream of mine to complete for sometime.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Do you have anything to show yet?

That might help generate interest in volunteers.

Also, are MUDs still a thing?
Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

Muds have changed a lot of the years. Many have converted to PBBGs and became more graphical. Muds in total still have around a million players between them all. Maybe more. PBBGs however are the largest game style in the world with several hundred million players. There are a hundred times more people on PBBGs than consoles at any given time. HUGE industry.

I have plenty to show but not on forums at this time. I am not really looking for a bunch of people to get excited at screenshots, join, then fade away because they were not really passionate. That happens more often than not. Looking for people whom can see the dream above and be interested.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

People who can't telnet don't deserve MUDs!
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Rallan wrote:People who can't telnet don't deserve MUDs!

Uh, hem people who can't ssh, don't deserve to MUDs. :D
Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

Haha I would say I agree but you might end up being a Canoe in a world of Motorboats. Refuse to change with the times and you become history ;)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Hallsofvallhalla wrote:Haha I would say I agree but you might end up being a Canoe in a world of Motorboats. Refuse to change with the times and you become history ;)

You're making a MUD dude. People who live in glass houses... :D
Hallsofvallhalla
D-Bee

Think you missed the first post completely. Its a graphical mud or rather a PBBG which are the most played games in the world. I only call it mud because most people dont know the term PBBG

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”