RIFTER subscription = Free Splicers???

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

RIFTER subscription = Free Splicers???

Unread post by Spinachcat »

If you don't own Splicers, the Rifter subscription offer offers you the chance to get Splicers as the free gift. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Splicers rocks...in some ways, more as a supplement than as stand alone game. If you play RIFTS (Phase World or Chaos Earth), Splicers gives you a bunch of new robots, but more importantly, an easy-to-use system to build unique and powerful biological creations. This means whenever you want some weirdo never before seen monster, 15 minutes with your Splicers book will give you something really nasty, really different and scary. These are powerful MDC beasties. Like new OCCs? Splicers offers some tough hombres for you to drop in a heroes/villains/NPCs.

But wait...isn't Splicers a unique game outside of the Rifts universe? Maybe, but certainly somewhere in the Three Galaxies there has to be somebody who has mastered biotech to the level of creating all the goodies you get in Splicers.

What about if you play SDC games like Heroes Unlimited or Palladium Fantasy?

Personally, I am good with a 1:1 conversion MDC to SDC/HP breakdown. If you have a MDC to SDC formula that works for you, then Splicers offers you crazy fun mutant and monster generation.

Oh...and the artwork is really fun!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: RIFTER subscription = Free Splicers???

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

I agree with all of Spinachcat's points above, and would throw out one of my own. There have been rumors/whisperings/hallucinations/dreams of additional, official Splicers books coming sometime in the (relatively) near future. It would be great for those who don't already own this 'stand-alone' game to get a copy for free before it is no longer stand-alone!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Getting SPLICERS as a free gift is really incredible! One of the best RPG ever for free :)
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Spinachcat wrote:If you don't own Splicers, the Rifter subscription offer offers you the chance to get Splicers as the free gift.

:puke:
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

You can keep your Splicers. :puke:
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Splicers quickly became my favorite palladium game. My longest running campaign is in the Splicers setting and has been the springboard for many Rifter articles and sourcebook manuscripts (and ideas for others). All in all, if you are going to get a free gift, it is probably one of the best, if not THE best on that list, in my opinion.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Lukterran wrote:You can keep your Splicers.

Fortunately with 2 copies, I can both keep and share my Splicers!! :P
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I love Splicers but getting the right group of players...
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

I would advise caution in indiscriminately mixing splicers with other settings.

specifically, biotech creations in splicers tend to be much stronger than, say, a typical PC from rifts. I've never played BTS, but I'm guessing that the comparison is extremely unfavourable there as well. against some of the more impressive types of superheroes, or against nightbane (assuming 1:1 conversion of MDC to SDC) you should be relatively fine, but basically... don't treat stuff from splicers like it's on the same power level as your campaign without checking first. honestly, some of the stuff from splicers would make a suitable extremely difficult combat encounter with one of them vs a group of PCs... depending on setting, I am quite confident that in a straight-up fight, these biotech creations would be more likely to win the fight with a TPK against standard PCs of certain settings.

so yeah, it can make a cool addition to another setting (and is also a cool game in its own right)... but the power level of the setting is higher in general (as are the challenges... bear in mind that the biotech creations I've described as being capable of TPKing some parties are the *underdogs* in the setting because their enemies are basically nigh-infinite in number).
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Shark_Force wrote:I would advise caution in indiscriminately mixing splicers with other settings.

Splicers is a dimensionally isolated world in all of my games, and this is at the front of my mind whenever I write for the setting.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

that should be the assumption for any setting: write to what is within the setting.

if splicers characters were not as powerful as they are, they'd get crushed by their opposition. it's not a *bad* thing that splicers characters and creations are powerful, merely something that *must* be considered if you plan on adding them to any other setting.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Splicers; never played a direct stand-alone game of it, but as a source book and idea mine? It is top notch, and NONE of the artwork in it is sub-standard; everything has its place and illustrates exactly what is being described.
As a free-offer for subscribing? Get it, get it NOW!
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Spinachcat wrote:If you don't own Splicers, the Rifter subscription offer offers you the chance to get Splicers as the free gift. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Splicers rocks...in some ways, more as a supplement than as stand alone game. If you play RIFTS (Phase World or Chaos Earth), Splicers gives you a bunch of new robots, but more importantly, an easy-to-use system to build unique and powerful biological creations. This means whenever you want some weirdo never before seen monster, 15 minutes with your Splicers book will give you something really nasty, really different and scary. These are powerful MDC beasties. Like new OCCs? Splicers offers some tough hombres for you to drop in a heroes/villains/NPCs.

But wait...isn't Splicers a unique game outside of the Rifts universe? Maybe, but certainly somewhere in the Three Galaxies there has to be somebody who has mastered biotech to the level of creating all the goodies you get in Splicers.

What about if you play SDC games like Heroes Unlimited or Palladium Fantasy?

Personally, I am good with a 1:1 conversion MDC to SDC/HP breakdown. If you have a MDC to SDC formula that works for you, then Splicers offers you crazy fun mutant and monster generation.

Oh...and the artwork is really fun!

This I might go for. :-) Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”