Outcast Station's defenses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Re: Outcast Station's defenses

Unread post by Kagashi »

BTW, I ended up going with the Ahriman slant in preparation for Megaverse in Flames. These suits will serve as a demonic foothold in Rifts Space when the minion war spills over into Rifts. All I did was use the existing stats in Rifts Mercenaries and modify them with space flying capabilities up to 300 mph which puts it on par with the most recent Glitter Boy.

The pilots have been flying these bots since 101 PA, so they have been fused to the bots by now in 109 PA. They have been traveling to the Graveyard (where I have placed a regular spawning space Rift, further feeding into the "there are demons and monsters there" thing about The Graveyard...because there are Balrogs there). There they have been receiving more power armors and bots by the order of Ahriman and have been giving them to other Outcast members over the past 8 years. So, Outcast station, in my campaign, has about 40 or so of these bots/power armors.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I prefer the bots to the PA. The benefit to bots is that since all members need to fail their saves for a giant demon merger to occur, 1 strong person resisting it can keep the others from fully succumbing.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

hrmmm
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Using Stats from DAVE DEITRICHs Steelfalcon.com for many mecha if one wants Macross stuff. They may need to be tweekd slightly to conform with the Second Edition stuff, but for the most part it seems to be fairly accurate and balanced. The tweeks that need are basically weapon damages. You should be able to just take the values from the GU11 from the Macross book for the Gun Pods. I know that the Steelfalcon site stuff is know lomger there. Im glad I backed it up when I had the chance. Strait Macross stuff does not need Protoculure to function.

Peace Out.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Kagashi wrote:But still the question remains: How did the orbital communities have any contact/ access to Naruni or the Angrar sellers?
Veritechs are easily explained by Rift activity.

New to the topic, would "mining" the debris from the first and second Arcon(?) invasions. For the needed High Tech weapons, PA, larger robots and tanks, even ships into new space stations. Their slave races could help with some knowledge, operating and repair. If they had not already done it. I think there where 'slaves' with their fleets.

The moon and L5 location should have some wreckage. Other just floating in space, orbiting the sun.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

abtex wrote:
Kagashi wrote:But still the question remains: How did the orbital communities have any contact/ access to Naruni or the Angrar sellers?

New to the topic, would "mining" the debris from the first and second Arcon(?) invasions. For the needed High Tech weapons, PA, larger robots and tanks, even ships into new space stations. Their slave races could help with some knowledge, operating and repair. If they had not already done it. I think there where 'slaves' with their fleets.

The moon and L5 location should have some wreckage. Other just floating in space, orbiting the sun.

How does salvaging Arkhon wreckage help maintain contact to Naruni or Angrar salesmen?
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Naruni do have the capacity to travel to Rifts Earth via Space Travel and Dimensional Travel methods, so I don't see them having any issues in setting up contact to sell their wares by traveling to the Solar System off Earth. They might want to send an exploratory mission to explore potential business opportunities off Earth (not just in terms of sales, but mining for resources) and w/n the Solar System. Given the containment procedures, they might elect to launch from elsewhere (Dimensional/Rift travel).

That said, the main issue would be how well the locals take to them (not positively I would think from the major players, but the approach would also be a factor) and if the market demand for their products would allow for sustainable business.

Angrar seller. Not much is available IIRC, so that is an area I'm not going to consider.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:

The Naruni do have the capacity to travel to Rifts Earth via Space Travel and Dimensional Travel methods, so I don't see them having any issues in setting up contact to sell their wares by traveling to the Solar System off Earth. They might want to send an exploratory mission to explore potential business opportunities off Earth (not just in terms of sales, but mining for resources) and w/n the Solar System. Given the containment procedures, they might elect to launch from elsewhere (Dimensional/Rift travel).

That said, the main issue would be how well the locals take to them (not positively I would think from the major players, but the approach would also be a factor) and if the market demand for their products would allow for sustainable business.

Angrar seller. Not much is available IIRC, so that is an area I'm not going to consider.

Naruni does not have to portray themselves as aliens, especially to the mutants at Outcast Station. Uteni might just be considered another mutant. Regardless, Uteni can shape shift into a human looking salesman or just utilize their actual human salesmen. I see little problems there.

Angrar themselves...IDK. However Ahriman, the god whom designed the suits sold by Angrar on Rifts Earth, has 10,000 PPE and knows every spell including D-Portal and access to up to 60 more Baal-Rogs at a time and their PPE/Magic as well. Utilizing rift activity isn't outside the scope of his transportation either.
Updated Aug 2015
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Agree about the Naruni. They have plenty of reasons and options to want to check out the rest of the local neighborhood of Earth. They also have options in presenting themselves. They could setup a middle-man/front if they find their "alieness" would be a negative factor.

Angagar might have a psychological blindspot if the Splurgoth are any indication as they only recently developed a space fleet in PW. So while he might technically have the ability to travel and such, he may not think of using the ability to search for new resources like the Naruni would.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Agreed on the Splugorth aspect, although they have always had that fleet you mentioned for hundreds of thousands of years (We just now saw it detailed). While Rifts Earth and PW are in two different dimensions, I still see no reason why the Splugorth couldnt rift to Rifts dimension somewhere in the milky way galaxy then FTL to Earth. As a matter of a fact, I dont think it would be Splynn who would even need to do that since he has a beachhead in Atlantis, rather a rival Splugorth like Klynn from PW who was wanting to conduct a sneak attack and keep Splynn in the dark.

However, I just had Angarar overcome any of those blindspots for my particular campaign. 1) there was a Robotech character already rifted to Rifts Earth who was in the group and I didnt want him to recognize any mecha from Robotech (or Macross II for that matter...too similar). 2) Angagar Robotics is underutilized in Rifts. 3) The Megaverse In Flames was coming out and I wanted to ramp up more magic and demon aspects to the Orbital Communities.

We have not really played that particular campaign in a while but Outcast Station had become the epicenter for such things. They even had an established magic guild where Space Mystics (just orbitals whom were born with the "gift" and focused on Space Magic) and Void Warlocks (a home brew spin of a traditional warlock with more space survival skills and borrowed heavily on space-like abilities from HU2/AU2). I have to rewrite that OCC cause I lost all my data with a computer crash :(

But the characters did encounter the Outcast defenses a few times while exploring the Graveyard and they never even got close to killing one (damaged them quite a bit though). They almost lost their VF1 and MK 4 Glitter Boy and retreated. I did have to modify the suits to accommodate space flight though. I might dial their speed down for the future cause they were flying at speeds to keep up with the Valkyrie, and basically left the Glitter Boy in a static position with the other bots (those Russian ones...forget the name at this time).
Updated Aug 2015
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

What if the mysterious 'bots were not actual robots or vehicles, but a pair of "reformed/good Mechanoids" accidentally rifted to Outcast or close to it some time in the past and joined the place for companionship and to watch out for their mad genocidal relatives?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

That would be cool.
Updated Aug 2015
SolCannibal
Champion

Did you count Ahriman's demonic horde as allies of either side or simply neutral war profiteers trying to exploit the conflict to make footholds of their own?

Speaking of Angrar Robotics, something i have toyed with for my games has been them derivating to cybernetics, to get a better "demons spent per corrupted mortal" ratio and implants are less attention-getting than whole power armors, possibly making the association between disappeared mercenaries and their products a little harder to catch on to....

Catching some less known nexuses to then disguise as fabrics and shops, maybe try to collect a few tech-savvy witches in a cabal or two to support and maybe even expand upon Ahriman's TW designs as Techno-wizards on their own (or at least well-supported wannabes) might be pretty cool to.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

SolCannibal wrote:Did you count Ahriman's demonic horde as allies of either side or simply neutral war profiteers trying to exploit the conflict to make footholds of their own?

Speaking of Angrar Robotics, something i have toyed with for my games has been them derivating to cybernetics, to get a better "demons spent per corrupted mortal" ratio and implants are less attention-getting than whole power armors, possibly making the association between disappeared mercenaries and their products a little harder to catch on to....

Catching some less known nexuses to then disguise as fabrics and shops, maybe try to collect a few tech-savvy witches in a cabal or two to support and maybe even expand upon Ahriman's TW designs as Techno-wizards on their own (or at least well-supported wannabes) might be pretty cool to.

I used them as a neutral in the Minion War itself, but would have most likely aligned with Hades had the game continued. Ahriman was looking to spread his own influence; Angrar Robotics on Earth was the vehicle to do that, as was his selling of bots to Outcast Station in my campaign. Similar to Kharkon the Undaunted and his fleet of Black Ships as described in Megaverse In Flames, Khrkhon would likely align with Hades, I could see Ahriman doing the same since he employs Hades demons as well. But until forced into a decision of any alliance to any side, he would remain neutral and push his own agenda.

Now that this thread has been rekindled, Im hoping the group gets back together...
Updated Aug 2015
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, i honestly suspect the reason one may find so many "demons of Hades" serving a variety of evil gods when compared to Deevils might be there being a greater number of "rogue" bands from such infernal races, either remnants & descendants of demon courts fallen to the current batch demon lords that choose fealty to outside powers over fealty or destruction by the lords of Hades, if not ancient splinter branches and packs of the "archaic/unsettled" stage these races....

Similar to how in Europe (and a bunch of other places) one may find a certain ethnicity/people forming multiple different countries or countries formed by multiple ethnicities/people under one leader/ruler out of common accord. Pet theory of mine partly inspired by the mention of extinct demon races and "relatives" under the service of completely different masters, like the Galla demons of the mesopotamian gods.

Return to “Rifts®”