multi doubler modifiers logic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

multi doubler modifiers logic

Unread post by Kagashi »

So...I used to think that people took advantage of multiple doublers for things like critical damage or attacks per melee by doubling something that was already doubled. Many people just continue to multiply the product of the previous bonus, and I never liked looking at it that way, rather I would only multiply the base damage (or number of attacks) over and over again. As each modifier just says "double damage" it is left up to the player and GM to determine what exactly is getting doubled.

For example, hitting somebody in the head from behind AND rolling a natural 20.

Munchkin view:
Base damage: 20 damage
Hitting the head: x 2 of base damage = 40 damage
Hitting from behind: x 2 of hitting from behind (x 2 of base damage) = 80 damage
Natural 20: x 2 of rolling natural 20 (x 2 of hitting from behind (x 2 of base damage)) = 160 damage

My view:
Hitting from behind: x 2 of base damage (head) + x 2 of base damage (behind) = 60 damage
Natural 20: x 2 of base damage (head) + x 2 of base damage (behind) + x 2 of base damage (natural 20) = 80 damage

However, now I am reevaluating this...because what if you go the opposite direction and half damage with multiple modifiers (say getting hit by the blast radius of an explosive AND passing your Roll with Punch, Fall, Impact) you can completely nullify any and all damage; which I do not believe was the intention. It seems that in this case, Palladium would expect the character to take 25% damage, not zero.

Granted, modifiers that half damage are far less common than those that multiply it, but I believe what you do in one direction, you have to apply when you go the opposite direction. Therefore, if we go with my original logic, it is possible to nullify all damage with only 2 halving modifiers.

What is your take?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: multi doubler modifiers logic

Unread post by Glistam »

I never looked at it that way, but the logic makes sense.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

I believe palladium has it that your x2 increases to x3 due to the addition of another multiplier, to x4 with 2, and so on rather than multiplying all the multipliers together.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, +1 multiplier, not doubling doubles. You can already get like x7 damage depending on the abilities and gear you have, so let's stay cool, man. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Yeah, but what about modifiers that halve damage, which is technically a fractional multiplier? Like the example the OP gave, with rolling with punch/fall/impact in a missile blast radius? Would that be ¼ damage ((½ × ½) × rolled damage) or 0 damage ((½ × rolled damage) + (½ × rolled damage))?

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

So you guys all agree that getting stuck in the blast radius (half damage) then Roll vs punch, fall, impact (again, half damage) would nullify the damage of the explosive completely, yes?
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Naw, doesn't have to make sense one way for it to work another. Half of half of half still is minimum 1 in my book. I limit damage multiples for the player's sakes anyway.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

its math. It has to work the same way no matter which way you go. So which is it?
Updated Aug 2015
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Kagashi wrote:So...I used to think that people took advantage of multiple doublers for things like critical damage or attacks per melee by doubling something that was already doubled. Many people just continue to multiply the product of the previous bonus, and I never liked looking at it that way, rather I would only multiply the base damage (or number of attacks) over and over again. As each modifier just says "double damage" it is left up to the player and GM to determine what exactly is getting doubled.

Munchkin view:
Hitting from behind: x 2 of hitting from behind (x 2 of base damage) = 80 damage
Natural 20: x 2 of rolling natural 20 (x 2 of hitting from behind (x 2 of base damage)) = 160 damage

My view:
Hitting from behind: x 2 of base damage (head) + x 2 of base damage (behind) = 60 damage
Natural 20: x 2 of base damage (head) + x 2 of base damage (behind) + x 2 of base damage (natural 20) = 80 damage

However, now I am reevaluating this...because what if you go the opposite direction and half damage with multiple modifiers (say getting hit by the blast radius of an explosive AND passing your Roll with Punch, Fall, Impact) you can completely nullify any and all damage; which I do not believe was the intention. It seems that in this case, Palladium would expect the character to take 25% damage, not zero.

Granted, modifiers that half damage are far less common than those that multiply it, but I believe what you do in one direction, you have to apply when you go the opposite direction. Therefore, if we go with my original logic, it is possible to nullify all damage with only 2 halving modifiers.

What is your take?

Wow... leaving aside the obnoxious suggestion that anyone that doesn't agree with you is a munchkin, I would say that you would take 1/4 damage from the explosion if you rolled with the impact successfully, but that doesn't necessarily imply that going up is the same as going down for damage.

If the damage of a grenade was 12 MD, for example, and you were in the blast radius for 6 MD, and you rolled with impact successfully, you would take 3 MD, that seems really simple. The damage in the blast radius is 6 MD, you get half of that for rolling with impact, problem solved.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Kagashi wrote:So...I used to think that people took advantage of multiple doublers for things like critical damage or attacks per melee by doubling something that was already doubled. Many people just continue to multiply the product of the previous bonus, and I never liked looking at it that way, rather I would only multiply the base damage (or number of attacks) over and over again. As each modifier just says "double damage" it is left up to the player and GM to determine what exactly is getting doubled.

Munchkin view:

My view:

What is your take?

Heres the problem with your question.....

Your trying to make sense of RIFTS!
Stop this before your mind explodes, it just doesn't work like that lol
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Athos wrote:

Munchkin view:

My view:

What is your take?

Wow... leaving aside the obnoxious suggestion that anyone that doesn't agree with you is a munchkin, I would say that you would take 1/4 damage from the explosion if you rolled with the impact successfully, but that doesn't necessarily imply that going up is the same as going down for damage.

If the damage of a grenade was 12 MD, for example, and you were in the blast radius for 6 MD, and you rolled with impact successfully, you would take 3 MD, that seems really simple. The damage in the blast radius is 6 MD, you get half of that for rolling with impact, problem solved.
What if you have an ability that lets you take only half damage from this sort of thing (impact-resistant armor, Rifts: Japan version of Dam Sum Sing, Super Powers, etc), would you just divide by half again?

Alrik Vas
Knight

Kagashi wrote:its math. It has to work the same way no matter which way you go. So which is it?

I think its clear I don't run it as a two way street. I use different math fire each. Not everything has to be equal in my games as long as its consistent by itself.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Athos wrote:

Munchkin view:

My view:

What is your take?

So you subscribe to the Munchkin method of doubling?

Warning: Name calling is not acceptable. Mack
Updated Aug 2015
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Reducing damage is not the same as multiplying it. They don't need to use the same math.
Realistically, you're not going to walk away from an explosion completely unhurt.
Realistically, punching somebody in the back of the head shouldn't end up with their head exploding as if they'd been shot with a BMG round.
Different math in this case leads to more realism.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have always added the additions. So if you have x2 (+1) x2(+1) and x3(+2) you get x6 (+5)
if you have divisions I multiply the divisors x.5 and x.5 = x.25
I cancel out first.
YES this is not 'equal', but it doesn't have to be, this ISNT a mathematical formula, its a game. The damage system ISNT a formula. Its NOT a formal logical system. It doesn't have to run backwards. Double damage is not the same as takes half damage. Especially when you start stacking.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Seems the standard consensus is you "add" doubles of base damage for multipliers when calculating up, but you divide in half each time when calculating down.

What happens when you are hit from behind in the head with a natural 20 from a laser, but you are clad in laser reflective armor?
Updated Aug 2015
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kagashi wrote:Seems the standard consensus is you "add" doubles of base damage for multipliers when calculating up, but you divide in half each time when calculating down.

What happens when you are hit from behind in the head with a natural 20 from a laser, but you are clad in laser reflective armor?

I apply all bonuses for damage FIRST. Then all reductions for damage to that total. (unless there is a reason to go out of step)
So.
laser does 10 damage normally, but does x5 for being a critical (x2), headshot (x3) from behind (x2).
The armor then halves that to 25.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Your original way of looking at multipliers isn't incorrect.
the head shot x2 is base (x) + bonus damage equal to base damage (h)
from behind x2 is base (x) + bonus damage equal to base damage (b)
critical x2 is base (x) + bonus damage equal to base damage (c)
so with a single source for each damage it is actually x+h+b+c for a total of times four which is the same thing as what you said except you don't have to do the math three different times just add plus one to the multiplier because they are all base + and your only doing the base once.
Same can be done with division
blast radius 1/2
roll with fall 1/2
wearing Naruni Thermo Kinetic armor 1/2
the numerator stays the same and for each divisor, after the first, you subtract one and add the remainder
So with the three above you should only receive 1/4
Lets say a cosmoknight takes a blast from a photon torpedo. Lets for a second assume that a photon torpedo actually uses photons and produces a damaging blast of light energy. The cosmoknight normally takes 1/10 damage from energy but he is also only in the blast radius and he successfully rolls with blast. So 1/2 from blast radius, 1/2 from roll and 1/10 from being a cosmo knight so he takes 1/12 damage.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

eliakon wrote:I have always added the additions. So if you have x2 (+1) x2(+1) and x3(+2) you get x6 (+5)
if you have divisions I multiply the divisors x.5 and x.5 = x.25
I cancel out first.
YES this is not 'equal', but it doesn't have to be, this ISNT a mathematical formula, its a game. The damage system ISNT a formula. Its NOT a formal logical system. It doesn't have to run backwards. Double damage is not the same as takes half damage. Especially when you start stacking.

Hmm.
head shot x2
critical x2
behind x2

roll x1/2
blast radius x1/2
k/e resistance x1/2

x4

x1/4

20x4=80
80/4=20
seems equal to me

hmm then again your example it was two 1/2s which would come up 1/3 but the reverse would be two x2s or x3 so my way seems to work better and require less computation in game... at least I figure most of us can do simple addition quickly.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kagashi wrote:Seems the standard consensus is you "add" doubles of base damage for multipliers when calculating up, but you divide in half each time when calculating down.

GOOD question!

Offhand, I'd use the divider to remove one of the multipliers.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”