Anyone ever died on a botched teleport roll?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Anyone ever died on a botched teleport roll?

Unread post by Incriptus »

Perhaps I'm just paranoid but I'm not sure I'd be willing to use a power that had a 1 in 666 chance (0.15%) of killing you even under the best circumstances.

If you were running a game and your teleporter rolled 00 then 87 would you say "your dead"?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Anyone ever died on a botched teleport roll?

Unread post by Glistam »

The one time I had a teleporter in my game I disregarded the "instant death" feature of this power. No other power offers the chance to kill you outright every time you use it. In the Rifts game I play in, we did have a character teleport using the spell and he rolled 99 twice. We were stunned into silence. So to answer the subject, yes, I have seen it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I had a warrior with a magical object with teleport capabilities teleport onto the back of a flying dragon. he rolled a 100. I rolled to see what direction he was off. He teleported down 2 feet from his intended target, into the dragons neck. It was a horrible death for both of them.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Yes. Exceptions. Invulnerable, multiple lives, lycanthropy&plant forms give a secondary roll. Basically if you cant be hurt regrow limbs or can rise from the dead. Anybody else sorry. Told you its not that good of an ability.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

A much better alternative would be the "Teleporter" power from Heroes of the Megaverse, page 66. It takes two attacks to teleport but there's no roll for failure or instant death. It's far superior in almost every way.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Has not had my char die from being t-ported into an object. But... one of my chars use T-port sup to t-port bits of a starship down into the mantle of the planet .
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

We always house ruled that as long as your destination is line of sight, you don't have to roll.

I did once see a character roll the "instant death" result, but the character also had Intangibility (or maybe Vibration? don't remember clearly as it wasn't my character) and the GM let him roll some sort of save to see if he could engage the power fast enough to survive. He made his save and survived.

I'm not sure how I'd have handled it if I were the GM.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

What about teleporting people into stuff?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have had Characters die on botched teleports before. As a GM I tend to use the "what's the most fun option" theory. As such I rarely kill them outright. I might have them bounce someplace else, they might get kidnapped, they might be stuck in time, bounce back to their starting point (wounded or not, stunned or not) or any number of other options. I will discuss this sort of thing ahead of time with the players if they select a power that has a "oops you die" setting.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Glistam wrote:A much better alternative would be the "Teleporter" power from Heroes of the Megaverse, page 66.

Or, from PU3, the "Portals" power.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I never can get my teleport ability to work...
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I figured if I ever wanted a character with the teleport power I would also select Intangibility to avoid this problem.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Well it wasn't a HU game, but i had an entire party WIPEOUT!!! when one of the PC used a rune sword that had the power
to superior: teleport while the party was in Hades. They just found this magic weapon a Rakasha had asked them to get for
it. Instead of walking back, they decided to use the sword. I even warned them that the percentage chance was low but
they used it any way. Well they rolled a failed teleport and I said roll the misplace teleport and 00 came up. The wielder of
the sword teleported the whole party into a mountain. Guess the Rakasha is even going to get his magic weapon. Well they
wanted to get out of Hades but that was not the way they wanted to go.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Tor wrote:I figured if I ever wanted a character with the teleport power I would also select Intangibility to avoid this problem.

I've thought that, but it's always struck me as a little weird. You want a knack for materializing on the other side of a locked door -- inside a bank vault, or out of a jail cell, or whatever -- and to make it safe, you also take the ability to materialize on the other side of locked doors? You want to escape from wrestling holds and force fields, so you select another power for doing that? No mere human can enter your secret base of operations, but you can do it one way because you can do it a second way?

(Why die in a fall when you can disappear from up high and reappear on the ground unharmed? All you have to do is get the power of being unharmed by falls!)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:A much better alternative would be the "Teleporter" power from Heroes of the Megaverse, page 66. It takes two attacks to teleport but there's no roll for failure or instant death. It's far superior in almost every way.

What a surprise, a Cosmic level 'mega power' is superior to a vanilla super power? But yes, assuming that your GM is running a Hero's of the Megaverse game instead of an HU game, then yes by all means take the superior powers.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I just rule that you can't enter a solid object with a teleport. Instead, if you botch the roll, i just have you reappear inside-out. But only if if's the HU version. Spells usually work out fine.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I made a kind of handshake rule with my player who teleports.

No instant death results, under the proviso that she cannot take unwilling passengers.

It's worked out just fine (fer her on at least three occasions)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Regularguy wrote:it's always struck me as a little weird. You want a knack for materializing on the other side of a locked door -- inside a bank vault, or out of a jail cell, or whatever -- and to make it safe, you also take the ability to materialize on the other side of locked doors?
Sure, they work differently, after all. Intangible people are still visible, so teleporting helps you get past cameras and spotters, like perhaps one who might EE electricity your intangibutt.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Regularguy
Adventurer

Tor wrote:
Regularguy wrote:it's always struck me as a little weird. You want a knack for materializing on the other side of a locked door -- inside a bank vault, or out of a jail cell, or whatever -- and to make it safe, you also take the ability to materialize on the other side of locked doors?
Sure, they work differently, after all. Intangible people are still visible, so teleporting helps you get past cameras and spotters, like perhaps one who might EE electricity your intangibutt.

Well, yes, of course they don't overlap 100%, or my comment would've been too obvious to be necessary. But imagine you could teleport safely with something that doesn't really overlap the other power at all.

I mean, if you want Grant Powers, plus something to remedy the direct-to-hit-points damage that's the big drawback of that power, my observation wouldn't exactly come into play; ditto for the classic idea of having Transmutation provide materials for Copy Physical Structure or Gem Powers -- or taking a power for genuinely attacking people while in APS: Mist form, or whatever.

But nobody says CEF: Fire stands a good chance of killing you every time you use it, unless you also take APS: Fire, or maybe Divine Aura has a chance of killing you every time you use it, unless you also take Control: Others.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

There isn't anyone out there who selects Grant Powers without selecting that Major Super-Regeneration power from AU is there?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:There isn't anyone out there who selects Grant Powers without selecting that Major Super-Regeneration power from AU is there?

I do all the time. Since I select my powers based on character concept and not with a goal to minimize the restrictions, nor with the goal of evading any of the powers limitations. And as a GM I generally don't allow super powers to heal the 'investment costs' anyway. If a power/spell/ability/whatever costs sdc/hp...then the damage can't be healed by any other power that player has. I am very much a "limitations exist for a reason" and "do what you must, but pay for it" kind of GM.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I select my powers based on character concept

not with a goal to minimize the restrictions

nor with the goal of evading any of the powers limitations

Well that's not very munchkin of you sir, I find it hard to relate.

BTW aren't points 2 and 3 the same thing?

I generally don't allow super powers to heal the 'investment costs' anyway. If a power/spell/ability/whatever costs sdc/hp...then the damage can't be healed by any other power that player has.

Hey, just because that's how it works for GODS doesn't mean that's how it has to work for MUTANTS.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Tor wrote:There isn't anyone out there who selects Grant Powers without selecting that Major Super-Regeneration power from AU is there?

A concept I proposed a while back hereabouts: take Teleport to materialize in something, which equals instant death for you and your enemy. And take Divine Aura to get an ever-replenishing supply of guys who believe whatever you tell them and never doubt you and do anything you ask without question including sacrificing their lives.

And take Grant Powers, so they can instant-death Teleport on your behalf.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Technically I think the 'instant death' only applies to the teleporter, not to the target destination.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Regularguy wrote:
Glistam wrote:A much better alternative would be the "Teleporter" power from Heroes of the Megaverse, page 66.

Or, from PU3, the "Portals" power.

Personally, I think the Portal power from Armagddon Unlimited is much better.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

eliakon wrote:
Glistam wrote:A much better alternative would be the "Teleporter" power from Heroes of the Megaverse, page 66. It takes two attacks to teleport but there's no roll for failure or instant death. It's far superior in almost every way.

What a surprise, a Cosmic level 'mega power' is superior to a vanilla super power? But yes, assuming that your GM is running a Hero's of the Megaverse game instead of an HU game, then yes by all means take the superior powers.

I'm glad you agree. :D

Regularguy
Adventurer

Tor wrote:Technically I think the 'instant death' only applies to the teleporter, not to the target destination.

Not sure I agree -- but, for the sake of argument, how many pounds of enemy are you allowed to teleport along with you?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Regularguy wrote:
Tor wrote:Technically I think the 'instant death' only applies to the teleporter, not to the target destination.

Not sure I agree -- but, for the sake of argument, how many pounds of enemy are you allowed to teleport along with you?

First question is. Can you purposefully make an Instant Death teleport? If its an error, then it might not be replicable at will. As a GM I would, personally say that you have to make a 'legal' teleport choice. IE you can only target places that are clear of obstructions, as for why the short answer is 'because the power works that way'. Accidents can happen of course....but since this sort of suicide power is not mentioned, where as other powers DO mention suicide options (APS: Fire's Nova Blast comes to mind first.) it might not BE an option.

Regularguy
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:Can you purposefully make an Instant Death teleport? If its an error, then it might not be replicable at will.

I dunno. I mean, it's right there, y'know? If it's a location that's clearly visible from your starting point, then it's hard for me to read that as anything but straightforward.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Regularguy wrote:

Not sure what you mean... is the enemy a guest in the original teleport or the target destination of it?
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

I don't like the idea of giving my players such a high percentage chance of killing themselves for simply playing the character they rolled, especially if it is done randomly (which is house rule #1 for supers in my group).

Trying to teleport past that wall and fail? Probably going to just let you just slam into the wall and be knocked down (which can be just as deadly, and has killed at least one would be Nightcrawler).

Trying to teleport from one spaceship to another while traveling at warp speed and fail? Yeah you're dead (I didn't feel bad when he died either).

How many times did Nightcrawler die from bamfing all over the place? None, but he also mostly kept his bamfing to line of sight or next room over rather than halfway across North America.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

McFacemelt wrote:I don't like the idea of giving my players such a high percentage chance of killing themselves for simply playing the character they rolled, especially if it is done randomly (which is house rule #1 for supers in my group).

Trying to teleport past that wall and fail? Probably going to just let you just slam into the wall and be knocked down (which can be just as deadly, and has killed at least one would be Nightcrawler).

Trying to teleport from one spaceship to another while traveling at warp speed and fail? Yeah you're dead (I didn't feel bad when he died either).

How many times did Nightcrawler die from bamfing all over the place? None, but he also mostly kept his bamfing to line of sight or next room over rather than halfway across North America.

Well on the latter that's because he didn't have anywhere close to that kind of range (2 miles was his extreme limit and he almost never teleported blind unless it was an extreme emergency), but he did generally stay within his teleportation limits which was mainly what was in plain sight. Unlike Vanisher who could teleport across the planet with ease and never had to worry about knowing where he was going as his power always ensured he arrived somewhere safe at the target location.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Have disregarded the instant death from the get go. For those times characters have rolled "Instant Death" was rolled, the character failed to teleport and I had them roll damage (4d6 to HP and SDC).

But I disagree with the instant death part of the ability.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Tor wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

Not sure what you mean... is the enemy a guest in the original teleport or the target destination of it?

I'll take either.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

yep right into a pylon in a parking garage. I understood that was part of the power and that was a risk. its fine. Don't take the power if you don't want the consequences
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Nightmask
Palladin

Considering how Palladium generally hates instant-kill things I have to wonder why they stuck Teleportation with the risk of an instant kill every time you use it. I guess they only hate you getting to instant kill others but are fine with things rigged just to kill the PC instantly.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
KillWatch
Champion

Really? Point blank shots are instant kills
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Nightmask
Palladin

KillWatch wrote:Really? Point blank shots are instant kills

And look how many GM treat doing that as hunting season on PC, one-shot killing them to punish them for it.

KillWatch
Champion

haven't met any of them.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Nightmask wrote:

And look how many GM treat doing that as hunting season on PC, one-shot killing them to punish them for it.

The only point blank instant kills are when the PC/NPC dives on a grenade. Point BLank Shots do damage (1.5 I believe) direct to HPs but are not instant kills (unless the PC/NPC does not have enough HPs).
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Ranger wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

The only point blank instant kills are when the PC/NPC dives on a grenade. Point BLank Shots do damage (1.5 I believe) direct to HPs but are not instant kills (unless the PC/NPC does not have enough HPs).

As far as I was aware, there is no official rule in HU that has a Point Blank shot have any modifier what so ever. There is an optional rule in the COMW that has point blank shots do double damage when fired into vital points. While there are many house rules, about Point Blank shots, there are, as far as I know, no official rules on them.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

eliakon wrote:
Ranger wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

As far as I was aware, there is no official rule in HU that has a Point Blank shot have any modifier what so ever. There is an optional rule in the COMW that has point blank shots do double damage when fired into vital points. While there are many house rules, about Point Blank shots, there are, as far as I know, no official rules on them.

For guns it's normal damage to S.D.C./H.P., and half that damage direct to H.P.. There is also a table to roll on for additional effects. For explosives it's double damage direct to H.P.. Shots to the head and heart follow the point blank damage rules but have a separate table. This is from Villains Unlimited (for HU2), pages 16 and 17.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Sounds like neither are instant deaths, though realistically for normal people (esp low PE) they would promise death in most circumstances.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Ranger wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

For guns it's normal damage to S.D.C./H.P., and half that damage direct to H.P.. There is also a table to roll on for additional effects. For explosives it's double damage direct to H.P.. Shots to the head and heart follow the point blank damage rules but have a separate table. This is from Villains Unlimited (for HU2), pages 16 and 17.

Correct, but those rules are clearly labeled as 'optional' as in they are not part of the core rules and are just there to be available for GMs that choose to make point blank shots more dangerous. Which I guess would make them 'less optional' than the COMW rules, but they still fall short of being 'official rules'

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

All rules are optional, whether they are labelled as such or not.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:All rules are optional, whether they are labelled as such or not.

Sort of. Some rules are the 'core rules' that everyone uses (unless they house rule them out, or change them) those rules though can generally be assumed to be in use for any discussion since they ARE the basic set up of the game, and that allows for a common ground of discussion. Then there are the optional rules, that are offered as guides on how to do something outside the normal rule set. Those however are strictly optional, thus can not be assumed to be in use in all games.
So a statement that ''players will have SDC" is a fair statement, since SDC will be used in all games (unless house ruled OUT)
but a statement "Point Blank Shots do HP damage and are thus instant death" Is not, since that only applies to games that choose to ADD that rule to the basic set of rules. Which is why I said there is no official rule on them.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Palladium really ought to avoid 'optional' and stick with 'canon to base setting' or something along those lines.

Like in Wormwood, YOU CAN NOT PLAY HOST OR DARK PRIEST. Well... if the GM says you can, then you can. It's just not um... canon or something? *shrug* That's one of the oddest restrictions really. Host and Dark Priests are clearly canonical to the setting it's just... there's a rule against playing them... even though GMs can ignore any rule they like and let players play whoever they like.

It sounds like more of a "don't bug your GM about this, the game wasn't designed to cater to these character types as protagonists" type thing.

SDC will be used in all games (unless house ruled OUT)

Though it be, characters would only possibly have it in armor/shield form in the original PRPG :)
KillWatch
Champion

sometimes there is a good idea that might add a layer of complexity to the game that might intimidate some GMS or **** off some players
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Nightmask wrote:Considering how Palladium generally hates instant-kill things I have to wonder why they stuck Teleportation with the risk of an instant kill every time you use it. I guess they only hate you getting to instant kill others but are fine with things rigged just to kill the PC instantly.

Palladium is pretty much full of one hit and you are dead powers and abilities.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
KillWatch
Champion

nightfactory: and that's how you know who the heroes are

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”