What would you choose?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jay05
Adventurer

Re: What would you choose?

Unread post by Jay05 »

Two items to start?Well since your criteria included reasonable ammunition for one weapon, I'd take my .44 mag and the three boxes of shells from the chest of drawers in my bed room, and the extra large duffel bag. (Empty of course to stay within boundaries). Everything else I could aquire later. Lots of empty stores by that time no? As for surviving in the wilderness if I had to? Grew up in a well forested area of North Idaho, with an Army vet dad. I could hunt, fish and ID edible plants before I was out of grade school. Edited because I'd missed your clarifying post on first read through. Assuming I wasn't home I'd have my car, almost never leave home without it. And that blows the whole two items thing, cause in the trunk I have an aluminum bat, a case of bottled water two heavy blankets, a first aid kit, road flairs, a mag light and eight feet of tie down rope. Sorry, that's reality.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Jay05 wrote:Two items to start?Well since your criteria included reasonable ammunition for one weapon, I'd take my .44 mag and the three boxes of shells from the chest of drawers in my bed room, and the extra large duffel bag. (Empty of course to stay within boundaries). Everything else I could aquire later. Lots of empty stores by that time no? As for surviving in the wilderness if I had to? Grew up in a well forested area of North Idaho, with an Army vet dad. I could hunt, fish and ID edible plants before I was out of grade school. Edited because I'd missed your clarifying post on first read through. Assuming I wasn't home I'd have my car, almost never leave home without it. And that blows the whole two items thing, cause in the trunk I have an aluminum bat, a case of bottled water two heavy blankets, a first aid kit, road flairs, a mag light and eight feet of tie down rope. Sorry, that's reality.

Thats a good point! If I'm at home, I just take my truck!
I have a Ford F-350, complete with gun rack( 12 gauge, and 30-06) two boxes of shells for the shottie( one slug, the other birdshot) two boxes for the 30-06. Plus my bug out bag, my toolbox, a hand pump, and two 5 gallon fuel cans in it at all times.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

F-in A bro, a man's vehicle, (one part home on wheels, one part survival kit!)
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

I approve of the transportation and distance weapon combination. Its the same combination that I was using.

I think fleeing and having a distance weapon are the most important things...given that those of us who actually play dead reign (I wonder if everyone posting here actually does), knows that RAW, even a single sloucher doesn't go down easy...You need to deal about 40 damage directly to the head to actually kill one. Thats a lot of survival knife wounds when they only deal 1d6+1 damage each...and the NAR 14 doesn't help. Being in melee combat with Zombies generally doesn't end well when they outnumber you 100:1 and there are no fast ways to heal yourself.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

I haven't yet I play mostly Rifts, HU2, and NB for a horror bent game. Not that I'm opposed to it, just no opportunity yet. But I've seen dozens of Z movies and the dude in the corner with a single melee weapon almost always bites it. And your point is exactly why I brought up the ol .44, does big damage, and I'm familiar enough with it to put six in a spread the diameter of a litre bottle of soda, so head shots, not a prob lol.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Cars are a bit overrated when anywhere near high traffic areas. There is a reason for vehicle graveyards in the game. So many people trying to get out of a city, or even out into the country, will cause accidents and backups allowing the undead to catch up to you. If I was going to use transportation, I would go with a mountain bike, dirt bike or horse. All of which are usable in tough terrain. I might even do a four-wheeler (lots of storage capacity on one) but you start running into size issues when trying to get into tight spaces.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Icefalcon wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Alot of Toilet paper and a pair of high quality boots, I can loot as I go

Toilet paper is an interesting choice. Why would you choose that?

It's all fun and games until you have to run with monkey butt due to using improper wiping material. :wink:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Icefalcon wrote:Cars are a bit overrated when anywhere near high traffic areas. There is a reason for vehicle graveyards in the game. So many people trying to get out of a city, or even out into the country, will cause accidents and backups allowing the undead to catch up to you. If I was going to use transportation, I would go with a mountain bike, dirt bike or horse. All of which are usable in tough terrain. I might even do a four-wheeler (lots of storage capacity on one) but you start running into size issues when trying to get into tight spaces.

Dude, my truck has a powerstroke in it, along with a push guard, what Vehicle graveyard?

Seriously, the Powerstroke produces power and torque in spades, I can push anything outta my way with ease. Zombie? Not a problem with six tons of steel moving, just run them over. The authors of DR didn't take alot into account( Weapons, insane AR for Zombies, giving them Hitpoints, etc.) and vehicles were one of those things they over looked. Yeah Motocycles look cool, but in zombieland, no way am I getting on one, and I've been riding for years!
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Icefalcon wrote:Cars are a bit overrated when anywhere near high traffic areas. There is a reason for vehicle graveyards in the game. So many people trying to get out of a city, or even out into the country, will cause accidents and backups allowing the undead to catch up to you. If I was going to use transportation, I would go with a mountain bike, dirt bike or horse. All of which are usable in tough terrain. I might even do a four-wheeler (lots of storage capacity on one) but you start running into size issues when trying to get into tight spaces.
I will admit my car's a bit big, and off road much barring serious mods I wouldn't have time or skills to make would be impossible. Still I'd rather have it than not at the start. The engine in that thing is powerfull enough to crush walking corpses. LOL
Icefalcon
Champion

A bit about running over zombies. Have any of you actually seen what the physics of a body (human or otherwise) meeting a moving vehicle look like or the force involved in a hit?

When I was growing up, my mother worked for a personal injury lawyer. All they did was accidents. I was forced to look at pictures of every case because my mother wanted me to know what could happen if you did not pay attention while you were driving. It was like watching those movies they make you see in driver's education classes.

One of the lessons I learned while looking at some of these cases, even full metal cars (which are a dwindling rarity on our roads) are not immune to damage from hitting a pedestrian. In any hit at speed involving a human body has the ability to render a vehicle not worth operating. Sometimes the bodies roll up over the hood and through the windshield. Sometimes they go under the vehicle and wind up ripping something loose or knocking tie rod out of alignment or flatten tires.

Ok, so you have a brush guard and skid plate on the front. It is either going to make the body go up or under your vehicle.

Vehicles do not make good weapons against zombies without significant modifications (such as a snow plow on the front and mesh over the windows) Mad Max style.
Icefalcon
Champion

I feel we are moving a bit off topic here. If you guys want to debate vehicles, I am more than happy to do so in another thread. Let's try to move back on to the original topic, please.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Ok, sorry. Back to two items only, I'm back to the pistol and duffel. I'm willing and able to take anything else I need. And past a certain point violent theft is not out of the question when the question is survival.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Alot of Toilet paper and a pair of high quality boots, I can loot as I go

Toilet paper is an interesting choice. Why would you choose that?

It's all fun and games until you have to run with monkey butt due to using improper wiping material. :wink:

ROFLMFAO! :lol: :lol:
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

A hatchet, and one of those super sleeping bags that can handle temps around 15 degrees farenheit. I would have to head north and stick to whatever wooded areas I can find. Hopefully getting a whetstone along the way.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Icefalcon
Champion

Illendaver wrote:A hatchet, and one of those super sleeping bags that can handle temps around 15 degrees farenheit. I would have to head north and stick to whatever wooded areas I can find. Hopefully getting a whetstone along the way.

I am pretty sure most people are capable of finding extra stuff along the way. For instance, it would be insanely easy to find a lot of cast off items within the first two weeks of the apocalypse, that is before weather and exposure start to degrade items. Another thing, most houses in the US contain a lot of useful stuff. I mean, just the availability of things like flashlights, matches, bags (backpack, messenger, plastic or otherwise), clothing, canned food and other supplies is kind of staggering. Of course, in my case, I would stick to houses away from most cities or even large towns to reduce the risk of running into hundreds of zombies. The more remote the house, the more likely it will have useful items (maybe except food).

The main point of this thread was to see what people would start with if they could only have two choices. It shows me what people have as their priorities and gives me an idea of how long they might survive.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Thinking some more about another set of choices big roll of duct tape and a big knife<eventually find a decent walking stick and fashion a spear>
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

calto40k wrote:Thinking some more about another set of choices big roll of duct tape and a big knife<eventually find a decent walking stick and fashion a spear>
Not a bad idea bro.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

calto40k wrote:Thinking some more about another set of choices big roll of duct tape and a big knife<eventually find a decent walking stick and fashion a spear>

You'd have a much more stable spear point is you use cord instead of tape.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Hit enter to much
Last edited by Zamion138 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Silenced 10/22 with bpx mags and syb sonic ammo.
7 pound ball peen hammer.
Its easier to a knife than a gun, i like the rounded edge of the ball hammer as it woth stick in the head of a zombie as easily.
First things ill try to aquire are a good bag food water more ammo and a source of fire. Then good flash light then a mode of transportation.

I love hearing people say they will go raid such and such store in a zed attack......you will not be alone in that plan. In fact most walmarts and grocery stores will be free fire zones once the desprate and armed show up. Im going to avoid them like the plauge.
Icefalcon
Champion

flatline wrote:

--flatline

Even better is wet leather that is put in place before it dries. It creates a tighter bond.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Icefalcon wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Even better is wet leather that is put in place before it dries. It creates a tighter bond.
Both of you are correct, however, he perhaps has Duct on hand and a good brand tightly wound will hold up to dang near anything. And strips of leather might not be at hand.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

What's a little thread necro in a zombie themed forum eh?

If at home I would grab my contact lenses (in case my glasses broke) and probably my hatchet. It's nice and sharp and I can use the other side to bludgeon or hammer. In a pinch I could use it to pry stuff open, but it may cause it to warp/break.

obviously I would do my best to acquire more items then this but since we were limited to only two that's what I'd grab.
Icefalcon
Champion

Razzinold wrote:What's a little thread necro in a zombie themed forum eh?

If at home I would grab my contact lenses (in case my glasses broke) and probably my hatchet. It's nice and sharp and I can use the other side to bludgeon or hammer. In a pinch I could use it to pry stuff open, but it may cause it to warp/break.

I hadn't considered things like glasses/contacts. I almost always have mine with so it is usually not an issue. However, grabbing my spare glasses (two pair) would require being near my vehicle.

Hmmm, you present an interesting conundrum.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Icefalcon wrote:
Razzinold wrote:What's a little thread necro in a zombie themed forum eh?

I hadn't considered things like glasses/contacts. I almost always have mine with so it is usually not an issue. However, grabbing my spare glasses (two pair) would require being near my vehicle.

Hmmm, you present an interesting conundrum.

I am always wearing my glasses, usually I have my prescription sunglasses with me as well, if not then they are at least in the glove box. My contacts are kept in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, so if I was at home I would be pretty much covered for eye wear.
My glasses would be on and I would either grab the contact case or sunglasses case. Luckily for me I hang a small plastic bag on the hook by the front door that holds my keys, wallet, hat, prescription sunglasses, cleaning cloth (for my glasses) and the charge cable for my black berry. I bring this bag back and forth to work everyday and because I work in a factory I need all this stuff, just not in my pockets, so I bring it back and forth and lock it in my desk drawer while at work. The other reason why I would be lucky is the downstairs bathroom is right across from the front door and that is where I keep my razor, shaving cream and contacts. I figure I'd have time to grab that bag, then grab those 2 or 3 things from the medicine cabinet before jumping out the door.

If someone has left the bathroom door open and you open the front door you will hit the bathroom door, it's a narrow hallway, and it's a small bathroom (only a toilet and sink) because our full bathroom is upstairs.

I figure if my glasses break I would be kind of screwed (hence wanting all the backups I could get) I'm not completely blind without them but things are fuzzy without them. I wouldn't be able to see fine details without glasses, like reading street signs (unless I was up close) and stuff like that. I could see me mistaking a human for zombie, or the other way around, at a distance without them on.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Two items?
Does this include clothing?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Icefalcon
Champion

Vrykolas2k wrote:Two items?
Does this include clothing?

No. It is assumed that you have the proper clothing for the time of year.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

woodsplitting axe, for splitting skulls and driving nails if need be and a semiautomatic 22 long rifle with as much ammo as i could carry.
King Newt
Wanderer

Unread post by King Newt »

A 12 gauge shotgun and Jeepzilla

I know 4 places that has ammo and unfortunately I don't have a pic for jeepzilla, but it's an monster off road jeep. Never driven it, but seen it in action. It's a monster. No where it can't go and I know the house I would drive it to. It is In the middle of no where, so there wouldn't be much zombies to take care of.
Deckard1973
D-Bee

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

My KA-BAR and a large crowbar.
Icefalcon
Champion

King Newt wrote:A 12 gauge shotgun and Jeepzilla

I know 4 places that has ammo and unfortunately I don't have a pic for jeepzilla, but it's an monster off road jeep. Never driven it, but seen it in action. It's a monster. No where it can't go and I know the house I would drive it to. It is In the middle of no where, so there wouldn't be much zombies to take care of.

Do you know where to get fuel for your vehicle once the pumps have no power?
magictiger
Explorer

Unread post by magictiger »

Icefalcon wrote:If you could only choose two items to start the zombie apocalypse with, what would they be? The rules are: it has to be only 2 items, it has to be items (not people or animals), and you can not choose "kits", and I am taking into account you have the proper clothes for the area and season.

I would have to say for me it would be a good knife and my best survival manual.

a knife and a fire starter tool
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

I would take my custom crafted titanium kinfe. It has the strength to be used to pry things open.
The second thing would be a large aluminum/steel canteen. So I can boil water in it for clean drinking.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

flatline wrote:Rock hammer (http://www.amateurgeologist.com/rock-hammers-rock-picks/)
Quality multi-mode flashlight (http://www.hdssystems.com/?id=Edc&mType=Clicky or http://goinggear.com/sc80-220-lumen-aa-cr123a-flashlight.html)

Edit: Or a Halligan bar. Never actually held one so I'm not really familiar with how it's weighted. Size and weight seem to indicate that it would plenty useful as both a tool and a weapon.

--flatline

I'll second the Halligan as a great tool. Some are designed a little too heavy for a good weapon, but with many manufactures and sizes you can find something balanced/sized well for you.

Something else I'd want would be a TIC. Thermal Imaging Camera. Fire departments have them. Hand held, good range, pick up something like a one degree temp change. Zombies don't have a heat source now, do they? Helps to know thy enemy. :twisted:
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Icefalcon
Champion

What kind of power source does the Thermal Imaging camera run off of? Do they need special batteries or does it go with a few d-cells?
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Icefalcon wrote:What kind of power source does the Thermal Imaging camera run off of? Do they need special batteries or does it go with a few d-cells?

The early generation models used special batteries that were rechargeable with a recharging docking stand. Newer generation models still use rechargeable batteries with a docking stand, but the NiCad rechargeable batteries are "civilian" size equivalent so you can use alkaline batteries if needed.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Ravenwing wrote:lol. Actually I cheated.
Wanna know how?

AKMS: Is an updated version of the AK-47.( Circe 1962ish) Technically mine is an AKMS-107,chambered in 7.62 Nato.
Uses:
Spear:( It has an attached Bayonet) Despite DR's Weapon Expert ' Brick's advise,this thing will pierce your skull like a hot knife through butter.And the shape and length of the rifle make head 'shots' as a spear nearly the natural form of attack. Thrust, twist, return. Say it with me kids, Thrust, twist, return. Yeah Old School army Basic.

Club: Solid wooden stock, which can fold and lock into place, shortening or lengthening the weapon. Again,despite 'Bricks' advise, one of two hits with the stock to the head will cave your skull in. Not to mention I can knock window's out easily and climb inside to get what I need. Also given the length of the rifle,nearly every swing is for the head, Butt stroke to the head! Recover! Simple,uses little energy,and conserves motion.

Gunkit in stock: Remove the butt plate and tada. The Kalishnikov Series were made to take insane abuse, and need little to no cleaning, but they do need some maintenance from time to time.

Gun: Semi-automatic( I got the Civy version.) with decent mid to short range. No an AK isn't an accurate long ranged rifle, but most people who've seen combat can tell you that 'gunfights' don't happen at long ranges. 500 feet or so is about the longest distance you're going to be involved in. I'm accurate with my AK at ranges up to 500, or less.

My Python likewise is a multi-use tool. although in it's case, it's just as a gun or a club.

How would I get food? Water? and otherwise survive?
Simple I'd take it.

I live in a small town, but a town none the less. within ten minutes and assuming I couldn't get to one of the bugout bags I have around my property ( One in my bedroom closet, one in the hallway closet, one in the garage, one in the watershed, and one in my truck.) I could lay my hands on a survival knife, duct tape, zipties, canned and dried food, bottles of water, ALICE PACKs, Tools, more ammo, more guns, a Compound Bow and Arrows, Several ATV's Gas, Smokes, Beer, Hard Liquor, medical kits, first aide kits, Rope, flashlights, and a whole host of other things needed to make a full kit, including condoms(lol).

That combined with my survival training would keep me alive and well.

For those who like this idea, I can apply a similar weapon in the shotgun category...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-survival-shotgun/

...so I think you would like it. It has nearly everything a survivor would need - firearm, knife, light source, heating source, navigation aid, shelter, basic medical care, multitool, and even toilet paper. :wink: Anyway, I would grab one of these with a couple boxes of shells (Assuming that accompanying ammunition is not counted as an item) and a large water bottle (The shotgun has water purification tablets, so I can forage for water and make it safe to drink.). For sustenance, I can always forage for supplies in the ruins, and I can use a trash bag hidden away in the shotgun to carry it all, at least until I can find a more suitable container like Jay05's duffel bag.

Well I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”