Rifter 62

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Icefalcon
Champion

Rifter 62

Unread post by Icefalcon »

What would you like to see in the next Rifter?

For myself, I would like to see some robot/PA customization rules for Rifts.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Rifter 62

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Stuff for Ninja and Superspies.

-----------------

Why? Already has those in HU2MB. Along with the Rifts Sourcebook One and RSB1 revised.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Stuff for Ninja and Superspies.

-----------------

Why? Already has those in HU2MB. Along with the Rifts Sourcebook One and RSB1 revised.

I don't buy any of the Heroes Unlimited at all and refuse to do so just for some rules. Sourcebook 1 for Rifts has the customization rules for a autonomous style robot, not really for robot vehicles or power armors.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

:roll: what do you think Power Armors and Bots are? They are nothing but specialized Robots.

Now do you think you could expand on what you wrote into what you meant? How different from the existing existing creation rules/cost tables are you talking about?
-------------------
So get the the HU2MB to expand your gaming horizons into the superheros genre.
Much like how Jesus said that "Man shall not live by bread alone...", Rifts is not the "is all-be all" in gaming.
-------------------
BTW the robot creation rules in RCB1 are basically the HU robot creation rules/cost tables copy and pasted into a rifts book. So saying they are not suitable making and modifying Robot vehicles and power armors is a bit oxymoraonish.

Yes, the creation rules in RCB1r have been more optimized for making androids, but they can still be used to make/modify PA's and Bots.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote::roll: what do you think Power Armors and Bots are? They are nothing but specialized Robots.

No, they are vehicles.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Now do you think you could expand on what you wrote into what you meant? How different from the existing existing creation rules/cost tables are you talking about?

Yes, they very few things that the book says can be added to giant robot vehicles. Which according to page 32 of SB1 revised consists of missile launchers.Yes, other things can be extrapolated. Yes, I can figure that out for myself. What I am looking for is different. How would you go about switching out a weapon system you like from a different robot or power armor? How would you go about expanding the environmental system? How would you go about giving it a neural interface to be used to pilot or fire weapons? How would you make arms and legs modular so you can swap them out for something else?

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So get the the HU2MB to expand your gaming horizons into the superheros genre.

I have a limited budget. I am not going to buy another game system to get rules for the one I am already playing. I do not like the super hero genre, I will not buy the super hero genre and telling me that I should buy that book to get rules for Rifts is just crazy.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Much like how Jesus said that "Man shall not live by bread alone...", Rifts is not the "is all-be all" in gaming.

And Palladium is not the end-all, be-all of gaming companies. What is your point? I play over thirty different systems. Most of them are not Palladium. Most of these systems I have owned for years. A lot of them are out of print. The point is, I don't limit myself to just Rifts. But constantly telling me I need to buy another Palladium game, that I never intend to play, to get the rules I am looking for is not a good argument.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:BTW the robot creation rules in RCB1 are basically the HU robot creation rules/cost tables copy and pasted into a rifts book. So saying they are not suitable making and modifying Robot vehicles and power armors is a bit oxymoraonish.

I never said any such thing. I only said I would not purchase it just to obtain the rules.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yes, the creation rules in RCB1r have been more optimized for making androids, but they can still be used to make/modify PA's and Bots.

Only in the broadest sense. What if I want to add leg pylons and a boom gun? What if I would like to upgrade the optics on an UAR series robot to those used in an NG or Triax robot? What if I would like to put laser resistant armor on a bot instead of the regular armor? What if all I want is to swap out a NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Robot head onto a X-5000 Devastator? You see, the rules presented do not cover options such as this. Yes, they do cover a few things you can do with vehicle sized robots. Yes, I can extrapolate a few more. But do I want to do the work? No, I do not.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Icefalcon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote::roll: what do you think Power Armors and Bots are? They are nothing but specialized Robots.

No, they are vehicles.

Since Robot Vehicles are lager robots that are piloted and PAs are Piloted Robots I am not going argue with you about this. The HU2 Robot power category's text covers this for the technically ignorant about how robot vehicles and PA's operate.

Icefalcon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So get the the HU2MB to expand your gaming horizons into the superheros genre.

I have a limited budget. I am not going to buy another game system to get rules for the one I am already playing. I do not like the super hero genre, I will not buy the super hero genre and telling me that I should buy that book to get rules for Rifts is just crazy.
Since you only get rifts books then you are missing out on what rules/text that are already in existence in the PB game books. Besides there have already been vehicle creation rules published in the Rifter for Rifts. :erm:

Icefalcon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yes, the creation rules in RCB1r have been more optimized for making androids, but they can still be used to make/modify PA's and Bots.

Only in the broadest sense. What if I want to add leg pylons and a boom gun? What if I would like to upgrade the optics on an UAR series robot to those used in an NG or Triax robot? What if I would like to put laser resistant armor on a bot instead of the regular armor? What if all I want is to swap out a NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Robot head onto a X-5000 Devastator? You see, the rules presented do not cover options such as this. Yes, they do cover a few things you can do with vehicle sized robots. Yes, I can extrapolate a few more. But do I want to do the work? No, I do not.

That is why you get specific in what you ask for, by giving examples of what you want. Which is why one of the things I asked you was for you to expand on your OP idea. Thank you for doing so.

Side Note: You seam to be using the term robot to mean Android, even though most robots are not androids.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Palladium Fantasy.

Adventures.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Dark Elf wrote:Palladium Fantasy.

Adventures.

Agrees.
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

More Psionics stuff.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

The Dark Elf wrote:Palladium Fantasy.

Adventures.

I fully and whole heartedly support this. This year should have PFRPG in every issue due to it being the Anniversary. Maybe slip some background info about the Defilers into it too. Just enough though to wet our appetite about them.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Icefalcon
Champion

I would like to see more support for Dead Reign.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

A BtS,s Adventure would be Good.

Maybe a New Pcc the Mad Scientist and how to use Mad Science in a BtS,s game.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

@Icefalcon - Actually those rules in SB1/SB1r are meant for creating Power Armour and Robot Vehicles as well. That what the "Remote Unit" option is for. You don't buy any AI or programming for those. Then build them as you wish. However if I recall correctly they have rules for modifying and adding armour or weapons to Vehicles Robots and PAs.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

I have done my share of building things for Rifts. What I would like to see however is some rules for modifications. Yes Mercenaries has some rules but what I want is something a little more .....extensive. I would like to have rules for pulling parts off of one robot or PA and putting it on another (like a UAR-1 head on a X-5000 Devastator) or upgrading from normal armor to laser resistant armor or turning a ground armor into a flying one (or underwater mods). I would like to have definitive rules for upgrading and modifications rather than how to build one from scratch. If I wanted one from scratch, I would write it up like any other robot or PA and then ask the GM if it was possible for me to build it.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Alright Gotcha :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

I also would not mind some new articles for Dead Reign.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Like I say before More BtS,s Adventures.

Maybe how to make WereRaces and Vampire fit into BtS.

A Update for Arcanist is also Needed.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

What do *I* want in the next Rifter? More of the AWESOME that keeps coming.
But also.....

Splicers: House Creation Tables.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Icefalcon
Champion

Unfortunately, I am only looking forward to one article out of the whole thing. It seems to go that way in each issue. Granted I may be surprised by other articles but it seems the quality of the of the articles have been going down of late.
Icefalcon
Champion

Panomas wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:Unfortunately, I am only looking forward to one article out of the whole thing. It seems to go that way in each issue. Granted I may be surprised by other articles but it seems the quality of the of the articles have been going down of late.

Well which one is it?- :clown:

The NG article of course. :D

I am not much interested in Vampires or Necromancy but these articles may surprise me. I am definitely not interested in HU in the least, so even if it is well written, it will be of no use to me. The rest of the stuff, we shall see.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I'm figuring it will be out "soon", but has there been any specifics about when 62 will be out?
Icefalcon
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I'm figuring it will be out "soon", but has there been any specifics about when 62 will be out?

The 29th according to the latest weekly update.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Panomas wrote:•Rifts® – OFFICIAL Necromancy and Bone Magic spells. What else is there to say than more magic and darkness for your Necromancers (and the African Witch).

This one might be mine....(holds breath)- :mrgreen:

Best of luck to you man. I'm rooting for you. :ok:

P.S. Greetings and Salutations, farewell and safe journeys, and all that good stuff too. You know, can't finish a post without including the basics. ;)
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

BookWyrm wrote:What do *I* want in the next Rifter? More of the AWESOME that keeps coming.
But also.....

Splicers: House Creation Tables.

The latter has already been submitted and is awaiting approval for source material publication.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

A few Heroes Unlimited piloted robots and exoskeletons used by law enforcement/military against superhuman menaces.
Tyberius
Wanderer

Unread post by Tyberius »

Vampire Harvesters and their “Meat Wagons.”

When I first read that I thought it said Vampire Hamsters. ha!

I'd like more PF stuff, in any form. That's pretty much my only interest at this point in time.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Just wanted to chime in, the first part of this thread is gold.
"I want a Power Armour/Robot modification system."
"The separate Super-Hero game has rules similiar to those. You should buy that entirely separate game for the rules you want for this game."
"I don't want to buy an entirely different game (about superheroes) to get the rules for the game I am playing (about robots)."
"Buy the Superhero book."

Also, since I have been out of BTS for awhile (don't actually know anyone who has kept the hope alive for that one), is there enough published material in the Rifters to actually run it and make up for the two books it needs which are never coming?

As for Palladium Fantasy adventures, off the top of anyone's head, did anyone ever go forward with the Wolfen vs Western Empire storyline in Rifters?
Icefalcon
Champion

Eashamahel wrote:Just wanted to chime in, the first part of this thread is gold.
"The separate Super-Hero game has rules similiar to those. You should buy that entirely separate game for the rules you want for this game."
"I don't want to buy an entirely different game (about superheroes) to get the rules for the game I am playing (about robots)."

At least I am not the only one who sees the irony in this.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Icefalcon wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:Just wanted to chime in, the first part of this thread is gold.

That's about how all of the PF players feel when they make rules changes and only put them into RIFTs books.. and then people wonder why we question the "megaversal" rule system... (mages casting underwater by thinking really hard, for example)
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Icefalcon
Champion

Panomas wrote:Modestly disappointed that the Rifter 62 didn't make it's scheduled release; though it's understandable with all the excitement and extra work going into Robotech Tactics.

It is doubly disappointing when they said that Robotech Tactics was not going to interfere with their work. Since my subscription runs out after this issue, I might let it go ahead and lapse. I have been highly disappointed with the last three issues and if this one does not restart my interest there is no reason to keep getting it.
Icefalcon
Champion

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

That's about how all of the PF players feel when they make rules changes and only put them into RIFTs books.. and then people wonder why we question the "megaversal" rule system... (mages casting underwater by thinking really hard, for example)

I feel your pain.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'm hoping it will ship in time for me to pick it up on my next trip into NYC.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Icefalcon
Champion

BookWyrm wrote:I'm hoping it will ship in time for me to pick it up on my next trip into NYC.

I'm hoping it ships before the guys head off to Anime North.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:

Is that 'Megaversal' system still actually in official use? I mean, it was definately legit when Rifts started, but are the rules in Dead Reign, Rifts, and BTS actually supposed to be the same? It's obvious that they are using the same base (Megaversal) system, but after using D20's for combat and D100's for skills, they are hardly the same rules. I wouldn't be shocked if the 'official' line was that it was all still the 'megaversal' system, but the days of being able to move something from one to another have long since passed, each of those games gets a significantly different expanded rule system to go with it's unique universe.

And if by 'PF' you mean Palladium Fantasy players, before any Rifts rules changes got printed in PF books, there would have to be some main PF books printed every, say, half a decade...
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Panomas wrote:
Prysus wrote:
Panomas wrote:•Rifts® – OFFICIAL Necromancy and Bone Magic spells. What else is there to say than more magic and darkness for your Necromancers (and the African Witch).

This one might be mine....(holds breath)- :mrgreen:

Best of luck to you man. I'm rooting for you. :ok:

P.S. Greetings and Salutations, farewell and safe journeys, and all that good stuff too. You know, can't finish a post without including the basics. ;)

Well thanks won't know until it comes out.. I debated on even posting that up (that it might be mine)- :mrgreen:

Greetings and Salutations. I wanted to make this post just to say ... ... ... You're wrong! You said you won't know until it comes out but in today's Weekly Update ...

PALLADIUM BOOKS® WEEKLY UPDATE - 2013-05-09 19:19 wrote:Rifts® – OFFICIAL Necromancy and Bone Magic spells by Jeff Duncan. What else is there to say than more magic and darkness for your Necromancers (and the African Witch)?

Booyah! So unless I totally have your name wrong: Congrats! :ok:

Panomas wrote:Modestly disappointed that the Rifter 62 didn't make it's scheduled release; though it's understandable with all the excitement and extra work going into Robotech Tactics. With all the additional material related to the Vampire Sourcebook, I am eagerly awaiting this Rifter.

And now you have a reason to await even more eagerly. :D

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

P.S. Since your's is "Official," I guess that means yours is better than any of the crap I've ever written. :lol: I'm seriously happy for you man. Good job!
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

copy/paste from latest press release

The Rifter® Number 62 includes:
•Rifts® – OFFICIAL Rifts® Vampires Sourcebook Bonus Material by Matthew Clements and Kevin Siembieda. Awesome, fun stuff we cut from the sourcebook due to page count considerations. Heck, we had already increased the Rifts® Vampires Sourcebook from 96 pages to 128, and then to 160. The book finally topped out at 176 pages and we still had source material and ideas that Kevin Siembieda finished up for inclusion in this issue of The Rifter®.
- More about the secret vampire special forces organization, Deathspike.
- More Deathspike O.C.C.s including Werewolf Agents.
- Two notable Deathspike leaders.
- The vampires’ Top Ten Enemies List.
- Vampire Harvesters and their “Meat Wagons.”
- Some additional vampire fighting gear.
- 11 Hook, Line and Sinker Adventures.
•Rifts® – OFFICIAL Black Market and Vampire Kingdoms O.C.C. Experience Tables by Kevin Siembieda. Please note that the Experience Tables will also be made available online for free in the next week or so. Please make sure people who purchased Rifts® Black Market and Vampire Kingdoms, Revised know about that.
•Rifts® – OFFICIAL Necromancy and Bone Magic spells by Jeff Duncan. What else is there to say than more magic and darkness for your Necromancers (and the African Witch)?
•Rifts® Northern Gun™ Sneak Preview of the Gunbot Robot-Hunter by Matthew Clements and Kevin Siembieda. Text and art to give you another taste of what’s coming in NG-1. Also see the more expansive, FREE Rifts® Northern Gun™ Advance Preview that has been available on DriveThruRPG.com.
•Palladium Fantasy® source material by Michael Long. A very detailed presentation of a castle with dozens of maps and floor plans, plus a general description.
•Heroes Unlimited – World Association of Super-Humans by Thomas Morrison. A peacekeeping organization with international credentials that works with law enforcement agencies and governments around the world.
•All Settings – An in-depth look at the Climbing skill and its many uses, by Michael Strom.
•News, coming attractions, product descriptions and more.
•96 pages – Still only $11.95 retail – Cat. No. 162. Ships May, 2013.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Prysus wrote:P.S. Since your's is "Official," I guess that means yours is better than any of the crap I've ever written. :lol: I'm seriously happy for you man. Good job!

his avatar may now say "Palladiumbooks Freelancer Writer", rather than "Rifter Contributor" or both.

:ok: 8) congratulations Panomas for writing your first official article for palladiumbooks and hope that there are many more of them, and now you are a step or two closer to just maybe writing official books for Palladiumbooks. just shows what submitting to the rifter may lead to
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I would like to send in an article, and still might manage to squeak one out, but there are many other things that are occupying my time.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

The Galactus Kid wrote:I would like to send in an article, and still might manage to squeak one out.

That might put you off your writing... :puke:

(sorry, I really need to get a job so I can grow up again). Kev, you hiring??
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

ha. gross.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

The Galactus Kid wrote:ha. gross.

You should read the post I just did in the PFRPG forums (crossed the line I think).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”