Ludicrous magic Pies

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Ludicrous magic Pies

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Velthro wrote:The Lemon Meringe pie says: It does 4D6 mega-damage +2 points per lvl of exp. upon impact from acid that will burn through anything. This pie splatters its target with mega-acid Durration: Two melee rounds. When thrown on body armor of any kind, the first melee round damage is done to the armor the second round to the carachter underneath, unless the area of armor affected can be removed in 15 seconds.

This reads that it will melt throught armor even if it is stronger than 4D6 damage. Is this the case?
Will this melt throught force fields since it is a armor type?

The way I read it, the initial damage is enough to melt its way through armor in a limited area, basically burning a hole through the armor and affecting whatever is beneath that area without having to completely destroy the armor to get to what's inside. Kind of like punching a hole through a wall to get at the people inside. You don't have to bring down the entire wall to get them, you just need to make a hole. Under this assumption, one of these pies to the helmet of the victim has some pretty serious consequences if you don't remove it fast enough.

As for melting through a forcefield, my first instinct is to say no. Acids melt or burn through objects via cellular breakdown through chemical reaction. Forcefields are comprised of energy and thus would be impervious to acids as there's basically no chemical reaction between the acid and the energy a forcefield is composed of. In as best an example I can think of, it's like trying to use acid to melt the a laser beam. But then, one has to consider that hammering at a forcefield with bullets, explosives, melee weapons and other forms of physical attacks damages the energy field... so why shouldn't acid work? Best explanation I can offer is that a forcefield's molecular density, while comprised of energy, can still be disrupted through physical assault, the application of which is another form of energy at work... Kinetic energy. Acids work on the premise of a chemical reaction and pure energy, like that of a forcefield, simply has no chemical composition to react with. Final answer... GM's call... but I lean toward the former... no affect on forcefields with acid.

Good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

(the 1st question is badly written as to be unanswerable in it's current formate.)

Force fields are not physical things that can be dissolved. The acid would impact and slid off. Then the rules lawers grasping at straws will say 'but but ...It's MAGIC' and stuff about because it's magic it can eat through "Anything" as written in the text of the description. A force field is not a "Thing" it is a "Field."
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Velthro wrote:The Lemon Meringe pie says: It does 4D6 mega-damage +2 points per lvl of exp. upon impact from acid that will burn through anything. This pie splatters its target with mega-acid Durration: Two melee rounds. When thrown on body armor of any kind, the first melee round damage is done to the armor the second round to the carachter underneath, unless the area of armor affected can be removed in 15 seconds.

This reads that it will melt throught armor even if it is stronger than 4D6 damage. Is this the case?
Will this melt throught force fields since it is a armor type?

Basically, it burns a hole in the armor. The size of the hole will depend on the ratio between the damage done and the total MDC of the armor.
They won't collapse until they run out of MDC. Further, I don't see how acid would have any effect on a force field at all since it has no matter to dissolve.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I agree that it would have no effect on force fields. I am assuming the damage is per melee round, so it would do 4d6+ damage to the armor the first melee round and 4d6+ damage to the wearer the second melee round if not removed. The total armor points are irrelevant, as it does the damage regardless of whether the armor points are totally depleted.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I would rule that it would effect forcefields unless the forcefields only stop kinetic damage.
If a forcefield takes magical cold (why would cold hurt a forcefield) or magical heat damage i'd allow that it reacts with an acid, especially one that can eat through mdc body armour.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Makes sense to me that the pie would damage a forcefield with its acid. Unless there is something I am unaware of that forcefields are not affected by acid canonicly, it makes sense that acid can damage them just like fire, cold, swords, rocks, blowing sand, snowballs, shadow beams, ectoplasm, fists, telekinesis, and all the OTHER sources of "take X damage" out there, this is just another damage source.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

Need a new pie flavor.

PIE FLAVORED PIE.

(Okay, I'll just assume I'm the only one here to watch the ASDF Movies)
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”