Biomancy

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Biomancy

Unread post by Nightmask »

There's nothing about the rituals to leave one to think that they're anything but available to all biomancers.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

The Lemurian Biomancer. Its funny you bring this up actually because that is specifically the reason I am not allowing one of my players to play one. As written they can pump out one suit of biomantic powered armor every 10 minutes on a ley line with minimal cooperation and that is just not manageable in my opinion.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#2.
If Biomancers learn spells like mystics, are they able to replace lower level spells with higher level spells that preform the same function? **Such as replacing “Animal weaponry:minor” with “Animal weaponry:Major?”
No.

He would simply learn, and keep, BOTH spells if he chooses to take the major counterpart of a minor spell upon reaching the appropriate level same as any other Mystic.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#3
All the spells without the label "(NEW)" in Book 32: Lemuria have been copied and pasted from world book 6 south america#1, except the 10th level spell called "Woodland Entity". Is it possible for a Lemurian Gene-Mage to learn this spell?

Theyre a new UPGRADED O.C.C. that are slightly more powerful than the classic Biomancer and YES. They can learn traditional Biomantic Spells.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#5

Biomancer spells can only be learned threw class specific biomancer mystic meditation.

Yet World book 15: Spirit West & Rifts:Book of Magic both state a Plant Shaman can learn biomancer spells.

If this is true, can a biomancer learn Plant Shaman spells?

Negative. OCC X also having access to Y group of spells does not give OCC Y access to X group of spells.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#6.
Can the invocation spell ironwood be cast on living growing trees made of wood?

No, the spell is limited to simple objects only, not living things, what's more Ironwood changes the target from wood into a wood-like MDC structure that is not the same as real wood.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

What is this Mana you speak of?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#7
If I spend the extra mana to make the spell permanent casting "strengthen plant" on a tree, then I cast "animate plant: superior" on that tree does it become SDC again?

Looking over the spell, no, it appears that the SDC listed is the "average SDC of a large tree being animated", not "The SDC granted by the spell". ergo, if the plant being animated has greater SDC or MDC due to some kind of enchantment, you use the improved stats.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#8
Can the spell “Bio-Energy Weapon” be used on a Bio-Weapon Construct such as a Bone Sword, how about a millinium tree staff, and/or a Techno Wizard weapon made of ORGANIC materials?

As the customary limit of temporary enchantments not being compatible with already-magic weapons is not present, either this was ommited or a deliberate exception was made. Without such a limit and no broad rule aginst it, we must presume that it would work on all of those

and if "Bio-Energy Weapon" can temporarily enchant a range weapon such as a bow or bio-bow does that range weapon get the 1d6 per cast level in damage?

Absolutely! so long as you wack someone on the head with the bow. it cannot transfer it's bio-energy aura onto projectiles. You could however enchant wooden (or bone, ect) arrows with this spell, but each arrow would have to be enchanted individually.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Akashic Soldier wrote:The Lemurian Biomancer. Its funny you bring this up actually because that is specifically the reason I am not allowing one of my players to play one. As written they can pump out one suit of biomantic powered armor every 10 minutes on a ley line with minimal cooperation and that is just not manageable in my opinion.

Actually they talk about needing access to the resources of the city to make the more complex power armor/weapons and only the more basic stuff being makeable in the field. They need the genetic materials to grow the armor or make the warmounts. Now that said they can still whip out the basic wood/shell armor made by their spells on the fly and those are permanent until destroyed so still pretty handy.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Jhoe wrote:
Roe2121 wrote:
Jhoe wrote:
Roe2121 wrote:
Jhoe wrote:Which of the Biomancer rituals that create Bio-constructs weapons/armor/vehicles are known by or can be learned by “PLAYER CHARACTERS” , or are all of them only known to Non Player Characters?

Genetically enhanced war-steeds and bio-armour is npc only

book 32: Lemaria pg64 O.C.C Ablities and Bonues #8 of 11 ,

#8. Create Rio-Constructs: Biomancers can create weapons,
armor and equipment by magically altering living matter. The
process is somewhat similar to Eco-Wizardry and Bio-Wizardry,
but it affects living animals and plants without hurting them. The
magic essentially creates a symbiotic union between the animal(s)
and the Biomancer and allows him to form a Bio-Construct he can
wear or use. The more advanced creations of the Biomancer GeneMage
often take a higher degree of scientific knowledge and understanding
ofliving organisms (biology and genetics) to facilitate
the creation of complex weapons, armors and symbiotic unions.
The most elaborate creations like Bio-Armor and genetically-engineered
war steeds are brought to life by powerful, high-ranking
Gene-Mages with the help of assistants and special facilities.The
rituals necessary for their
development are carefully guarded secrets
reserved for masters of the art, and not available to standard
player characters

"Player characters can not develop new types of Warsteeds or Bio-armor.
**i.e. you can not create a brand new pig/bear/elephant warsteed.
It doesn't say can not learn the ritals for the warsteeds that already exist."

Why would they require rituals to create new types then? I am under the impression it is to mean cannot create. As if it was to mean create new types it would be most likely referred to as research or something like that where as development is most likely used in the term similar to building as it is building a bio armour its developing it for the person, however that is more into an arguement of how the writer wanted to to be perceived and all that semantics stuff.

In both books, "#6 south america#1 & #32 Lemuria", it says only a single Biomancer is needed for the spell rital's that use a tree/coral and/or summon the animals needed to create/equip Bio-weapons & Bio-power armor constructs.

In 3 other instances in Book 32 its mentions that there are specifically designed research facilities for examining and altering the D.N.A. of living creatures to "develop" new species.

There are no other instances of "interpretation misunderstandings" restricting a player from learning all the existing bio-contructs.

I would say players can learn to make the existing bio constructs but the following sentence is the more important one in the above quote.

Bio-Armor and genetically-engineered war steeds are brought to life by powerful, high-ranking
Gene-Mages with the help of assistants and special facilities.

While players can learn the methods of making them you still need to be at the special facilities to do so. You are not going to be randomly plopping out the bio power armor/warmounts by sitting on a ley line by yourself. If you make them it will be at one of the lemurian cities/facilities if you are in good standing with them.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#8
Can the spell “Bio-Energy Weapon” be used on a Bio-Weapon Construct such as a Bone Sword, how about a millinium tree staff, and/or a Techno Wizard weapon made of ORGANIC materials?

As the customary limit of temporary enchantments not being compatible with already-magic weapons is not present, either this was ommited or a deliberate exception was made. Without such a limit and no broad rule aginst it, we must presume that it would work on all of those

and if "Bio-Energy Weapon" can temporarily enchant a range weapon such as a bow or bio-bow does that range weapon get the 1d6 per cast level in damage?

Absolutely! so long as you wack someone on the head with the bow. it cannot transfer it's bio-energy aura onto projectiles. You could however enchant wooden (or bone, ect) arrows with this spell, but each arrow would have to be enchanted individually.

So what happens when you enchant a Bio-bow (which does not use ammo) with bio-energy weapon? does the bio-bow fire enhanced energy arrows?

No. It creates energy bolts but cannot impart bio-energy weapon on the energy bolts which it creates by my reading, as it seems to be restricted by the text to physical contact with the target/victem that imparts the mega-damage or healing energy. energy bolts at a distance are not physical contact with the weapon, and thus don't work.

besides, the bio-bow is plenty good as it is. 40 3d6MD shots at 1200 feet for just 35 PPE? I think the L-20 finnally has some competition for "most energy efficent ranged weapon in the game" :lol:

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#8.5

If I have the "Rifter:#30 pg31" O.C.C. ability "Focus:Might" (which only effects offensive spells which do damage) will it work with the spell "Bio-Energy Weapon"

I have to say no. Bio-weapon is not a damaging spell, it is a weapon enchantment spell (temproary), and Focus: Might specifically says it can not increase damage as an incidental result of the spell. the actual FOCUS of the spell is "enchant weapon with bio-energy", and you can make it either healing or hurting energy. but it is not in and of itself a damaging spell, as you can tell by the lack of a damage section on the stat block, only in the discritpion as an effect of the enchantment. Same would go for all enchantment spells.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ironwood changes the target from wood into a wood-like MDC structure that is not the same as real wood.
That's Ironwood Deux that operates that way ;)
Nekira Sudacne wrote:the spell is limited to simple objects only, not living things
Maybe not the more biologically active inside of a tree, but why not the outer bark?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#9
Does the spell ”reconstruction” restore all parts of the body? Including the damaged/destroyed parts of the brain ?

Yes, in fact it even says it does. What it does not do is restore aspects of personality that may have been caused by it. See crazies only loosing half their insanities, and not touching other normal insanities at all. Your brain is now 100% what it was origionally, but the personality/psyche is more than brain structure.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ironwood changes the target from wood into a wood-like MDC structure that is not the same as real wood.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:the spell is limited to simple objects only, not living things
Maybe not the more biologically active inside of a tree, but why not the outer bark?

Actually its the new canon rules on Ironwood, same spell, they just made a canon ruling that its now a new substance. And I would assume that if its wont work on living things it wont work on PART of a living thing.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:

That's like asking "I know the spell says it can't affect living people, but maybe just their dead skin cells?" no. Not unless you posit a necromancer could animate a living persons skin. and if you do, I'm just gonna have to disagree. :lol:

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#9.1
If a player is mostly vaporized by an explosion and all that is left of the player is his arm, can "reconstruction" restore the dead player if the cells of the arm are stills alive? (most human cells live for hours with out the heart pumping oxygen to them)

No, it's not a ressurection spell. if it could it'd say it can restore life and give a % to roll like all other ressurection spells.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Also, is it too much to ask you just put all your questions in one big post, or at least all the ones you can think of right now? they were interesting to start with, but now your down to asking "Does this spell do what it says it does" and "does this spell do something it dosn't say it does", in which case the answers will always be "Yes" and "no" respectively.

the forum rules say i can't. the first time i posted i tryed to do that and the post was rejected. i have about 20-30 more biomancer questions.

That's not forum rules, that's just a forum error. there are thousands of posts that ask multi-part questions. at worst you used some weird formatting or went over the post-size limit, more likely it was a random failure to post, which happens to everyone sometimes. but if you had 30 or so, probablly size, in which case you can still do 2-3 big posts of 10.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Biomancy Question#9.2
How much of the reconstructed players memories and skills and spells are in tact?

it explicitly has no effect on memory, good or bad. restoring memories lost due to a bullet to the head will not bring back any memories lost, but it will restore their ability to form proper memories going forward.

Biomancy Question#9.3
What level is the reconstructed player?

whatever level they were when you healed them? what made you think it would have any effect on character level, i'm honestly curious.

Biomancy Question#9.4
If i player is cut directly in half with 1/2 of the brain in each half, can reconstruct restore both halfs making 2 players?(the is scientific historic records of humans being born and losing half their brain and still living normal lives)

if you cut them exactly in half, they are dead, and become an invalid target for this spell as it does not provide ressurection. you need to keep the soul in account when you think of this. you have only one soul, just because the TISSUE is alive does not mean the PERSON is alive. when you cut them in half the PERSON died, the fact that given cells are alive is irrelevent, the soul has fled. only if the spell specifically mentions it can raise the dead can it fix this.

Now when your talking about getting one not two from still-living tissue, now your getting into cloning, that is, making a new person with their own soul with possible memories or skills from the origional. this may hypothetically be within the biomancer gene-mage's power, but are well past the scope of this spell, which certainly cannot be used to make clones under ANY circumstance.

I could see some gene-mage working on developing a set of spells and techniques for this, possibly while cackling manically in between bouts of muttering "i'll show them, i'll show them ALL!" :D

Biomancy Question#9.5
reconstruct works on sentient beings,animals(not sentient), and plants(not sentient)so basiclly all creatures with DNA. Bio-Power armor contructs are living creatures,but not sentient. If you cut bio-power armor constructs in half and use reconstruction on both halves whats happens?

Nothing, because it's dead.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:reposted Biomancy Question#4.
Once the spell “Animate Plant Superior” is cast and the duration of the spell is set, can the gene-mage who is controlling the puppet tree stop controlling the tree "in combat" to preform another independent action, such as cast a defensive spell like “armor of ithon” or “ironwood” on the tree puppet without canceling the first spell “animate plant superior”?

No, that's why it said that the concetration takes ALL of their attacks per melee. if they stop to do anything, ANYTHING else, the spell automatically ends.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:world book 32: lemuria pg 110
Bio-armor Concealment: All suits of Bio-Armor can retract to reveal the
face, head, hands, etc. of the wearer as necessary or desired. The
armor can even retract and compact itself enough to be easily concealed
under clothing; it must cover a minimum of 25% of the
body, typically retracting to the chest and back or lower body.

Question#10
Sense the concealed armor only takes up 25% of your body, can you have 4 bio-armors attached to your body at once?

The symboites would interfear with each-other. No. Only one.

Question#10.1
Sense the concealed armor can retract the parts you want, can you have everything except the wings of the chitin bio-armor retract?

It has to cover at least 25% of your body, and those wings arn't close to 25%

Question#10.2
Can the bio-armor stay solid and stand on its own and be vacated by the host or does it HAVE to become a liquid mound of mush?

does it say it can stand on it's own? then it can't. this is a question you really need to be asking a GM, not a houserule, as you already know the book dosn't let you, only your GM can.

Question#10.3
Using the spell “reconfigure bio-armor” Can you attach Bio-power armor to animals, plants, or anything that has the P.P.E. requirements?
[/quote]

You would be limited to mostly humanoid recepiants, and I think doing so would be highly illegal, but it does appear to be possible

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Jhoe wrote:
I would say players can learn to make the existing bio constructs but the following sentence is the more important one in the above quote.

Bio-Armor and genetically-engineered war steeds are brought to life by powerful, high-ranking
Gene-Mages with the help of assistants and special facilities.

While players can learn the methods of making them you still need to be at the special facilities to do so. You are not going to be randomly plopping out the bio power armor/warmounts by sitting on a ley line by yourself. If you make them it will be at one of the lemurian cities/facilities if you are in good standing with them.

Going over each of the bio-power armor construct ritals, in addition to the overview of all of them, all of the ritals either summon the animals needed to construct the power armor or use coral/kelp/a tree for components. Each of the ritals tell exactly what is needed to create each, and none of them say you need other people or special facilities to make each.

I believe the reason for this is many other O.C.C.'s have the ability to create and pilot Robot power armor. this class is the biological equivalent to those classes. instead of using guns, grenades and flame throwers they use bio-blast and animate plants.

If you look in the section where it talks about initial spell selection it specifically says the bio armor and warmounts are created by high level NPC's. I really don't know how much more specific it needs to get to show that unless a GM really wants to a player will not be plopping out the bio power armor stuff.

That said biomancers can still make good body armor with their normal biomancy spells that has solid MDC and is permanent until destroyed. They are no where near as potent as the bio power armor stuff but they are still really good. They can also make all the other biomancer equipment the only caveats listed are warmounts and the bio power armor stuff so the rest is fair game for players.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

In looking at the biomancer stuff last night I also have one question. In the initial spell selection for a biomancer do they get access to that list of common magic invocations at the end of their spell section as part of their biomancer spell list so when it says you can pick 6 biomancer spells are those fair game as well. Otherwise if that is not the case it looks like while they have a large list of normal invocations they would only ever get to chose two from them.

Or is the two normal invocation spell listed when they get third level include any normal spell invocation not just the ones listed after the biomancer spell area.

I think it is a bit confusing because some is copy and pasted from the jungle elf biomancer write up and other stuff is not.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Question#11
"Shape Plant" says:Large trees and intricate designs, such as sculpting a normal tree
into a humanoid or animal shape, requires multiple castings of the
spell with each creating one minor effect.

"weave plant" which says:Color is manipulated by the selection
of the base materials. Fabric made of bark, branches and roots are
shades of brown; leaves and vines are shades of green; grains make
yellow and orange colored fabric, while flower petals and fruits
make the color of the petals or the skin of the fruit.

by combining the two spells,can you make a sculpture of anything any color?

Question#11.1
using both these spells together, can i make an accurate simulation of myself using a tree with with all the proper colors?

Probablly not. not because it's inherently impossible, mind, but because making an accurate life-sized sculpture of yourself is exceedingly difficult. your biomancer would also have to have the sculpting skill and weaving skill at very high percentages to have a realistic chance of pulling it off. after all, the spells give the ability to use plants as a medium, but impoart no great artistic or realistic skill to the endeavor.

Question#11.2
how finite can i make the details?

depends entirely on your skill in making whatever you have. if you don't have the skill, you won't ever get better than "looks like a third grader did it". if you have weaving, sculpting, and Art at 98%, it can be as detailed as you care for it to be.
Question#11.3
after the sculpture of myself is made, can i use "animate plant:superior" to puppet my sculpture? does it lose is alterations?

Uh...no, weave plant requires you to rip off parts of a plant and turn it into fabric. it's dead. no longer a valid target for animation.

Question#12
if i put an external plant/flower on the puppet and use the spell "Plant Virtual Sight" on the flower to see the puppet at all times (like a camrea), can i move the puppet into buildings out my normal line of sight?

you can't make the puppet with the you-sculpture if that's what your asking, so moot there. if you DID have a valid target for animate plant superior, you wouldn't need to plant a flower on top as you could already cast plant virtual sight on it (before you animate it of course, once you do it's too late to cast any more spells)

Question#13
Can you attach a “Morphic Riding Bio-Barding ‘turtle shell to a player or bio-power armor?

Only if the player was a kind of sentient animal instead of humanoid and never to a power armor.

Question#14
How many NON-bio power armor Lemurian symbiotes can you have at once?
Two Octo-arms(one for each arm)? Are the effects and bonuses cumulative?
Two Sea Eyes(one for each shoulder)? Are the effects and bonuses cumulative?
Six Sea Doctor’s(one for each major section of the body}? Are the effects and bonuses cumulative?
Talisman Shell(one for each innvocation) they are tiny snails why not have them all?

It dosn't say, so it's GM's call.

Question#15
If i am wearing a Octo-arm symbiote which now covers my hand and is apart of my body now, then i have Bio-terrian suit symbiote wrap around me, does the terrian suit give its air breathing powers to the oct-arm as well?

Yes.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Question#16
"tree teleport" does not say anything about the tree being rooted or the age or size of a tree being teleported to. it simply says one must be present and in line of sight to teleport to it. Can i teleport to a tiny bonzai tree, an even tinier bonzai tree made smaller with "shrink plant", a sapling, a seedling?

yes, the tree is just a focal point for your bio-energy to remateralize at, the size is irrelevent.
Question#16.1
can i use my Bio-power armors supernatural strength along with the skill "W.P. Targeting" to throw or sling shot a seed at an enemy then teleport to them for melee combat?

a seed is not actually a tree yet, otherwise, yes, you could. however, as such treatment would seriously HURT bonsai trees or seedlings, most biomancers would be utterly appaled at such treatment. better if you use strengthen plant on them first to make them MDC.

Question#16.2
Does the tree being teleported to even have to be alive?

of course it does, what a silly question.

Question#16.3
bonzai tree require very little water and nutrients from soil and sunlight.can i use "weave plant & shape plant" on a tree to make my team memebers back packs, that i can teleport to and help them in combat?

No. weave plant cannot change a whole plant, however you shape it. the spell is explicit about that. it only lets you take PART of a plant and turn it into fabric, killing it in the process. whatever you get out of weave plant will always be dead and an invalid target for future castings.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Quote:
Question#13
Can you attach a “Morphic Riding Bio-Barding ‘turtle shell to a player or bio-power armor?

I would say GM call but for people like centaurs/cyber centaurs/dragons I don't see why not. I think a dragon would likely prefer not to use it but if the stuff can fit the various warmounts I see no reason why a player dragon would not be capable of using it.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Question#11.3
after the sculpture of myself is made, can i use "animate plant:superior" to puppet my sculpture? does it lose is alterations?

Uh...no, weave plant requires you to rip off parts of a plant and turn it into fabric. it's dead. no longer a valid target for animation.

Question#12
if i put an external plant/flower on the puppet and use the spell "Plant Virtual Sight" on the flower to see the puppet at all times (like a camrea), can i move the puppet into buildings out my normal line of sight?

you can't make the puppet with the you-sculpture if that's what your asking, so moot there. if you DID have a valid target for animate plant superior, you wouldn't need to plant a flower on top as you could already cast plant virtual sight on it (before you animate it of course, once you do it's too late to cast any more spells)

a bit of a misunderstanding here, let me clarify
lets assume i use my secondary skills at level 1 to get art.scuplting,widdling,weave. i am now level 15 then i:
step1 i use a living tree as the base for shape plant
step2 i scuplt the tree into a humaniod form like myself
step3 i add all the details in size and shape and features
step4 i take flowers for colors from a different source and make clothes for the sculpture
step5 i use animate plant:superior on the core tree which is still alive and not damaged at all

the question is: does the animated tree lose its alterations from "shape plant" when the spell "animate plant:superior" is activated

ahh. No, any alternation by shape plant is it's natural form, now, and never expires. granted, sinse it is still alive, it may continue to grow and change over the span of years, requiring you to perform maintance.

Mind, sinse you can't change the color of the tree itself with shape plant, it'll look like a bark and leaf version of you with cloths on. but it works. the clothing is indeed irrelevent in this case. I thought you wanted to use weave plant to color skin, hair, eyes, ect.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I bet the error message you got was invalid form type or something similar. All you have to do is click submit again if you get that.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
ahh. No, any alternation by shape plant is it's natural form, now, and never expires. granted, sinse it is still alive, it may continue to grow and change over the span of years, requiring you to perform maintance.

Mind, since you can't change the color of the tree itself with shape plant, it'll look like a bark and leaf version of you with cloths on. but it works. the clothing is indeed irrelevent in this case. I thought you wanted to use weave plant to color skin, hair, eyes, ect.

itd be easy enough to apply paint for skin color.

i dont see why i couldnt weave plant some flowers onto the tree for skin tones.

Those ideas would work, yes.

---------------------
lets forget the human/lemurian shaped puppet for a moment

and say i formed a Chitin Bio-armor puppet instead.

both trees and chitin armor are brown/green/gold/yellow

Those work too

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:now lets say i have a Coral Bio-construct trident.
these coral tridents can fire bio energy blasts range 1600ft for 4d6MD (when not effected by lay lines)
i enchant the trident with the spell "bio-energy weapon" are the tridents range bio-energy blasts effected by the spell?

No. for the same reason. the spell does not impart the ability to protect it's aura on any conceivable ranged attack other than throwing the entire weapon at them.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Question#16.3
bonzai tree require very little water and nutrients from soil and sunlight.can i use "weave plant & shape plant" on a tree to make my team memebers back packs, that i can teleport to and help them in combat?

No. weave plant cannot change a whole plant, however you shape it. the spell is explicit about that. it only lets you take PART of a plant and turn it into fabric,killing it in the process. whatever you get out of weave plant will always be dead and an invalid target for future castings.

same question, but remove weave plant and use shape plant by itself

bonzai tree require very little water and nutrients from soil and sunlight.can i use "shape plant" on a tree to make my team memebers back packs, that i can teleport to and help them in combat?

lets use the roots of the bonzai to make a pouch/flowerpot on the bottom of the back pack for holding soil and water. the center core of the bonzai could be thinned and flatten or hollowed to make a barrel forming into the larger container. the leaves would of course make smaller pockets and pouches on the outside.
the bonzai tree container would be alive would be self sustaining only needing its soil and water replace every year.(again bonzai do not eat and drink much at all)

Well if it's the same question, then it's the same answer, yes.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Question#16.3

No. weave plant cannot change a whole plant, however you shape it. the spell is explicit about that. it only lets you take PART of a plant and turn it into fabric,killing it in the process. whatever you get out of weave plant will always be dead and an invalid target for future castings.

Well if it's the same question, then it's the same answer, yes.

sorry, you gave to different answers so im a bit confused.

cut out weave plant and only use shape plant.

And the answer is "Yes, you can". having the party members carry around bonsai for use with this spell is very clever.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:Sorry, the next question is a bit off topic.

Is there a forum for posting drawing and art the players have made?

I'm actually a pretty good artist, so i wanna post some character drawings and take requests from other players for there character concepts.

There is no forum dedicated to that, but you can use exsiting forums for that purpose. just make a new art topic.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

An art forum would be an interesting idea though. It would be nice to see art topics in the settings ones (for art specific to settings) but also if they could be congregated on an art subforum.

Could also be used to discuss the in-game art. Especially interesting stuff like alterations.

Kind of like how the standard Juicer got a haircut to become Cutter, or how that Elf in CB1 got a moustache to become a Chi Mage in Mystic China.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Question#10.3
Using the spell “reconfigure bio-armor” Can you attach Bio-power armor to animals, plants, or anything that has the P.P.E. requirements?

You would be limited to mostly humanoid recepiants, and I think doing so would be highly illegal, but it does appear to be possible

Book 32:Lemuria pg 110

Custom Fitting:If the owner has natural shape-shifting powers like the Merans, or is magically transformed, the suit conforms
its owner's new body shape and size as necessary.[/quote]
I saw that, however, the ability to share in the metamorphasis powers of it's host (natural or inflicted) does not mean that it can naturally attach to non-humanoid beings, it merely makes metamorphosis powers to the host also apply to the armor.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
I saw that, however, the ability to share in the metamorphasis powers of it's host (natural or inflicted) does not mean that it can naturally attach to non-humanoid beings, it merely makes metamorphosis powers to the host also apply to the armor.

yeh but it doesnt say anywhere that the bio-power armor is normally humaniod shape, your just assuming from the drawings. :P the text says each rital comforms the armor to its host bodyto be form fitting and like a second skin

It also does not say that anyone can fit in it either. when a book says that you can walk into a shop and get armor fitted for you, that dosn't mean they have any armor designed for a 30 foot tall dragon in stock to fit for them.

the bio-armor is created for the almost exclusive use of the lemurians. why would they design the armor to fit on things they never bother to test or put it on? and how would they know if it works on something 20 feet tall with 400 pulsating tenticles?

It's a common sense thing. it MIGHT be able to fit on any being whatsoever, but it's a pretty big streach to assume that's so given the fairly small test base they've used for it.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Jhoe wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Jhoe wrote:

yeh but it doesnt say anywhere that the bio-power armor is normally humaniod shape, your just assuming from the drawings. :P the text says each rital comforms the armor to its host bodyto be form fitting and like a second skin

It also does not say that anyone can fit in it either. when a book says that you can walk into a shop and get armor fitted for you, that dosn't mean they have any armor designed for a 30 foot tall dragon in stock to fit for them.

the bio-armor is created for the almost exclusive use of the lemurians. why would they design the armor to fit on things they never bother to test or put it on? and how would they know if it works on something 20 feet tall with 400 pulsating tenticles?

It's a common sense thing. it MIGHT be able to fit on any being whatsoever, but it's a pretty big streach to assume that's so given the fairly small test base they've used for it.

#1 the armors are made to form fit the host. when the ritals are being cast they the armors start in a liquid form and cover the entire body of the host, this part takes about 5min, after the first 5min the armor begins to to shape and define its look based on the personality of the host.then it hardens to a second skin that is completely comfortable.The armor retracts and can be commanded to move off the host like go. (all distriptions in the books makes these suits seemingly like to act very much like the vemon symbiote from spider-man in the marvel comics,except they do not have a mind of there own)

#2 the lemurians have only been in a different slower time moving parallel dimision for about 150 years, 1/3 of the people will still be alive from when they first left. and dragons where one of the races that existed on earth back before they left. they even use some dragons in creatation of the Leviathon bio-power armor. so ill have to disagree with you that they have not experimented on all types of animals including dragons.

One thing to note though is they do have the bio barding stuff that can and does work on beings that are are similar enough to dragons as to make little difference mechanically. So it is pretty clear they could make bio armor capable of outfitting a dragon if they had reason to do so. The questions then are if a dragon teleports would the armor go with it. Also a dragons metamorphisis abilities are MUCH stronger than something like a meran that is just going from humanoid to fishy mode.

In dragon form though if bio barding is possible I could easily see bio armor being available eventually if the dragon did enough good stuff for the lemurians and the lemurians wanted to reward the dragon. That said I am not sure how many dragons would really want it. They are so naturally tough and regenerate so fast I am not sure many dragons would see a point in getting that kind of armor.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Jhoe wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Jhoe wrote:

#1 the armors are made to form fit the host. when the ritals are being cast they the armors start in a liquid form and cover the entire body of the host, this part takes about 5min, after the first 5min the armor begins to to shape and define its look based on the personality of the host.then it hardens to a second skin that is completely comfortable.The armor retracts and can be commanded to move off the host like go. (all distriptions in the books makes these suits seemingly like to act very much like the vemon symbiote from spider-man in the marvel comics,except they do not have a mind of there own)

Once more, being made to fit the form of the host dosn't mean the ritual can actually cover every conceivable kind of host. it could be read to do that, but assuming you could put bio-armoron an ambeoa as easially as a 100 foot tall by 400 foot long monster simply breaks my suspension of disbeleif entirely. I don't think it actually says you can, and i'm not sure you can convince me it was intended to. If I was GMing, I would probablly allow a degree of wiggle room, but i'm a firm beliving in applying a little common sense as well.

#2 the lemurians have only been in a different slower time moving parallel dimision for about 150 years, 1/3 of the people will still be alive from when they first left. and dragons where one of the races that existed on earth back before they left. they even use some dragons in creatation of the Leviathon bio-power armor. so ill have to disagree with you that they have not experimented on all types of animals including dragons.

I'm not sure how them being from a parellel diemnsion in slower time actually counters my point. neither time elapsed nor location elapsed has bearing on it as far as I can see as I made no claims regarding either.

I'll conceed they may have something for dragons, but again, they cannot have experiemented on everything. as another poster put out, they have bio-barding for most odd body types, which is a related concept for nonhumanoids. I mean, if they could give full bio-armor to absolutely everything, why is bio-barding a seperate concept?

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I see the warsteeds as the lemurian answer to things like power armor/robots. Bio armor on its own has good defense but most are not very strong offensivly. Combine bio armor and a warsteed though and you have a good match for almost any power armor out there and with some of the larger warsteeds they are combined with a master using heavy bio armor a good match vs giant robots or heavy supernatural creatures.

For the lemurian defenses and army the combination makes a great deal of sense with the plus side of even "unmanned" the warmounts can still help guard your city as giant nasty watch dogs. Very efficient force multiplier to help them offset the numbers advantages their opponents have.

The bio barding is different than the bio armor in that it is not full environmental. Most of the warsteeds are so powerful as is the barding is just there as extra protection and extra ranged weaponry . Could they make bio armor for warmounts or a dragon I don't see why not but with creatures that big and powerful MDC wise it was probably seen as overkill and more work than needed. Just give the giant critters some extra cover for their sensitive bits and the main torso and let the warmounts innate toughness and regeneration abilities do the rest. It is not like a lemurian who if they were not wearing full bio armor could be killed with a single blast even the "vulnerable" areas of warmounts are pretty heavily protected.

Now would a dragon ever be given a warsteed I don't see this as likely nor do I really see a dragon wanting one.
One thing that needs to be remembered is a dragon is not a human. A dragon is a DRAGON. They are huge they are powerful even when babies they are as durable as tanks and regenerate from serious wounds in hours. Most dragons would not really see any reason to both with something like bio armor or warsteeds because they would see it as beneath them. Now maybe an adult would like some warsteeds to help guard his lair when he is away but it is not something he would want to ride on.

Return to “Rifts®”