Franken-Mecha

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Franken-Mecha

Unread post by taalismn »

Gryphon wrote:
The thing is, I can't imagine a MAC II modification...that doesn't turn it into a massive hovercraft instead! Or even weirder, now imagine some bright spark turning a MAC II upside down and fusing into the turret mount of a Garfish...

Aside from poor range compared to the original turret weapons? I kind of find it hard to imagine the circumstances where such might be contemplated...Hard, but not impossible...Earth rebels attempting a 'space cruiser Yamato' end run on an Invid Hive, or Solar System colonies trying to field as many combat units as possible from the odds, ends, and hangar queens deposited on their worlds, or the equivalent of space gypsies outfitting their squadrons from the Robotech boneyards...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Gryphon wrote:Well, the comics have an example of a MAC II with an arm, a Phalanx missile pod, and some other changes, so I have to say that fitting an entire Defender torso is a bit unlikely, especially since I can't even begin to imagine how the pilot will survive the tumble cycle as he pivots the mecha about to bring the arms to bear!

Those are from the old comics, and might have been done out of scale. I know I've seen an RPG take over at Robotech Research. I took screenshots and line art (set to scale) with the Monster and the other destroids in the same shot, and I did a photoshop splice job. That revealed that the shoulder socket is roughly the same size as the other Destroid's torso. I will admit it was not a perfect fit, but since the mecha are at angles it could be distorting things. So I went with it likely would require a bit of customization work.

A quick splice of the Phalanx/Monster hybrid and put them in to scale using a Tomahawk since the Phalanx was not complete (I couldn't find a front on shot of the Defender to use, or else i would have done a multi-arm setup). Base Images are destroids_20_large (21 & 31 also) from Robotech Research's Picture Archive.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5051 ... nkmech.jpg

As for the pilot in the arms, standard procedure would be for the limb mecha to be remote controlled from the cockpit of the Monster (I did mention that the "torso arms" can be controlled from the Monster Cockpit). I did leave in the capability for the pilot station to effect the limb, though the pilot would be disorientated. That part about the controls of the arms went through several re-writes and certain parts must have been cut with the last edit.

Gryphon wrote:The thing is, I can't imagine a MAC II modification...that doesn't turn it into a massive hovercraft instead!

Well I did put in a Gravity Control System taken from a Zentreadi Shuttlecraft to help improve mobility due to the mass of the Monster and allow for flight with the Gargoyle types (only 1 subtype would not), with the Talos it's there about 1/2 the time.

Well we do see the mecha animated to "glide" backwards a few times and per the RT.com Infopedia (not the RPG) lists a Max Hover Speed of 52kph for the Monster, so it already is a hovercraft.
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha ... .php?id=15
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:[A quick splice of the Phalanx/Monster hybrid and put them in to scale using a Tomahawk since the Phalanx was not complete (I couldn't find a front on shot of the Defender to use, or else i would have done a multi-arm setup). Base Images are destroids_20_large (21 & 31 also) from Robotech Research's Picture Archive.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5051 ... nkmech.jpg

:ok:
Yeah...that many LRMs ready to salvo at me?
(Redshirt Regult pilot loses bladder control) :frazz:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

taalismn wrote:Yeah...that many LRMs ready to salvo at me?

No one in particular.

I tried to look for angles that are easily matched up, and that was the only one I could find quickly for the Phalanx that worked with the Monster Angle (there are a few for the Tomahawk, but I would likely have to photoshop the arms into a more Defender layout). Unfortunately I couldn't find (easily/quickly) one that would work for the Defender.

It does show that both of drum arms could still remain attached with plenty of clearance for a variety of actions (drum open/close, turning at the waist, not sure if the drum arms could still rotate). Given the similarities for the D/T/P, if one works the others should work (and no reason fir the S). ASC mecha are probably to small to fit without some type of adapter mechanism, ditto the Alpha. The Condor/Beta might be big enough to work (both are approx size of TMS Destroid).
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:[It does show that both of drum arms could still remain attached with plenty of clearance for a variety of actions (drum open/close, turning at the waist, not sure if the drum arms could still rotate). Given the similarities for the D/T/P, if one works the others should work (and no reason fir the S). ASC mecha are probably to small to fit without some type of adapter mechanism, ditto the Alpha. The Condor/Beta might be big enough to work (both are approx size of TMS Destroid).

Whatever works. Whatever results in the most bricks $#@=. 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

A few notes.

The Flying Crab IMU family does use Invid Parts BUT in a passive way, so I would think that would get around the negatives associated with their use by the IMU rules.

The Invid Scout/Trooper IMUs are intended for Invid to use, but only in a certain area. The why and where I leave to the GM. The why on the Invid building IMUs could come down to:
-experimentation program (technologically instead of biological), this is what I would lean towards
-a "rogue hive"
-human involvement

Type M1/M1A and M2/2A Invid Scout IMU Family
Parts List:
-1 Invid Scout/Armored Scout
-1 Alpha Arm Assembly (upper and lower arm, hand, engine, MM-60 stations)
-2 VF-8 Logan Main Engines
-2 LAR-10C Laser Rifles (may substitute other rifles or very rare but: surplus Solider PA Forearm lasers)
-2 VF-8 Logan wings or Vertical Stabilizer/Tail from fighter aircraft (including other VFs)

Resistance Intelligence is not quite sure why the Invid Hive in Area D (author note: GM’s take your pick where you want it) started to utilize improvised human/Invid hybrids, but the first was confirmed in 2034 and was based on the Invid Scout family (regular Scout, and the armored/fighter scout) of mecha.

The Scouts initially where outfitted with a pair of Logan main engines (easily identifiable), mounted dorsally. This provided increased thrust to the unit that allowed the mecha to achieve higher speeds (increase speed by 50% and +1 dodge in the air). Toward the sides they mounted a pair of folding tail surfaces that appear to be salvaged from a host of other fighter aircraft (or wings from a Logan), which analysis indicates improves the aerobatic handling of the mecha (+1roll, it is also factored into speed modifiers).

Both Scout versions where also outfitted with a pair of under-wrist-carriage human laser rifles. The rifle is usually a Southern Cross LAR-10C (hooked up to the mecha’s power supply) until UEEF weapons became more pronounced (usually going with the H-90). The mounting gives them a light mobile cannon that is capable of high off-bore sight targeting and may have influenced the later RCB/Overlord designs.
Scouts of this type are classified as M1 Scouts (with the A suffix for the Fighter Scout model) and appeared in small numbers until around 2042 at which point there are no confirmed incidents with the M1 series. But it was also at this time that the M2 standard appeared to really take off.

The M2 design trades the two Logan engines for a single Alpha Arm assembly. This caused some reduction in thrust, but still increased speed (10% over baseline, other bonuses on the M1 standard remain). Otherwise they are very similar to the M1 standard in most respects, the biggest difference is the MM-60 stations in the Alpha arm are all used. Initially the Invid where less that successful with the design (-3 Strike, no other bonuses to strike apply from sensors including Protoculture Targeting Bonuses), but later added a pod below the body that was later revealed to contain a simplified Alpha fire control system (sensors included) that greatly increased the success rate with the missiles (no protoculture targeting bonuses, but it does have Alpha level bonuses with regard to firing the missiles).

The M2 was around in very small numbers until 2042 owing to the extreme rarity of the Alpha fighter on Earth before then.

Resistance units have turned the remains of these mecha over to human IMU teams for the twin purposes of developing a better understanding of why the Invid have started to use IMUs in Zone D, but also if they can learn to adapt Invid salvage for use on human mecha. Either the IMU teams that have looked at the remains are not up to the challenge, or something is lost when the mecha is shot down because the IMU teams have been unable to figure out how the Invid are able to blend their two very different technologies. Nor do they seem to have an idea on why the Invid are doing this beyond experimentation as the designs appear to be utilized in a single area.

Type M1 Invid Shock Trooper IMU

Requires:
-1 Invid Trooper/Shock Trooper
-2 VHT Arm Shield Cannons (105mm Smooth Bore or 125mm Particle Cannon)
-1 VHT MIW-20 Ion Cannon Arm Shield (occasionally swaps the Ion weapon for the Logan’s LPW-20

The M1 Shock Trooper is basically a Trooper-class IMU version of the Mortar Scout that operates in Zone D. The unit is seen acting as a defensive unit at Invid facilities in Zone D rather than offensive patrols.

The M1 Shock Trooper trades it’s two top mounted plasma cannons for the salvaged main gun VHT arm shields (105mm/125mm cannons, with the 105 being the apparent preferred weapon). Since these weapons have slow rates of fire, on the undercarriage of the main body the Invid have installed a single MIW-20 class VHT armshield, complete with working cannon (about 25% of encounters have reported that the weapon inside has been switched with a Logan LPW-20).

The top mounted weapon pair can fire singly, or in pairs. They also have the ability to traverse on their own (but to get the best use requires moving the mecha). The 105mm canon versions do have a payload limit (unchanged based on inspection of the remains of one), where the Particle versions have been linked up to the Troopers own power supply. The undercarriage weapon is fixed forward, but a bit more accurate as it isn’t set off to the side slightly. It also appears to tap into the Invid Mecha’s power supply to operate.

Flying Crab IMU Family
Parts List:
1 VF-8 Logan Battloid mode (no wing/shields, forearm/hand assembly optional, missing legs optional)
2 Invid Scout or Trooper Forearm Claw Assemblies
2 Invid Scout or Trooper Legs (optional)
2 “Weapon Pods” (ASC style EU gunpod, VHT’s MIW-20, or similar weapons; optional)

The first Flying Crab was built out of a Logan that badly needed replacement limbs, but the IMU team had nothing compatible at the time. The resistance was bugging the team to do something with the mecha. They did have a stock pile of some Invid mecha remains they where examining to help maximize the resistance’s ability to fight them.

Oddly enough the surviving limbs they had in stock from an Invid Scout where about the right size to replace those missing from the Logan. Getting the limbs to be actively articulate was proving to be difficult, and so they tried to make them passively articulate. To use a medical analogy instead of trying to make the Invid parts act as a complicated articulate cybernetic limb, they made them operate as an old fashioned simple peg-legs and hook-hands for the mecha.

To get the most functionality out of the Invid limbs, they would have to “amputate” the Logan’s limbs just before the connection to the elbow or knee joint (Game Note: Yes I realize the Logan’s MDC doesn’t break down the leg to upper and lower).

Walking would prove difficult with the Invid Scout’s oversized feet, but it was still possible (reduce running speed by 50%, cannot dodge or roll effectively on the ground either, straight roll). The loss of the hands meant the unit could not operate a gunpod. To rectify this the gunpod was mounted (and rigged to fire) onto one of the rear main engines with a forward arc of fire. A second gunpod was added shortly later.

The Resistance unit was initially dismayed at the sight of the Flying Crab, but they where still desperate for mecha and this looked to be their only break for the foreseeable future. Whatever misgivings the unit may have had about the unit, where quickly eroded as the first few encounters against Invid with it seemed to cause some confusion. It appeared that it had enough of a passing resemblance to a regular Armored Invid Scout that the Invid where not sure if it was friend or foe for some reason (This is based on the “hesitation” we see Invid have when dealing with Marlene/Ariel in the series).

When the responsible IMU Team was able to lay their hands on a second Logan, in some what better shape (it was missing the armshield/wings, and the feet) they where asked to improve upon the original Flying Crab concept using this mecha. Overall damage was minimal, so the team did not see a reason to amputate the limbs but decided to mount them FAST pack style (they can be jettisoned) and retained the engines as gunpod mounts. This time they also used the Invid Trooper to provide the lower leg/feet and forearm/claw shields.

The result from using the Trooper limbs was much easier to move around in (no reduction in running speed or dodge/roll bonuses on the ground) and proved to be easier to parry (larger area, triple parry bonus). The one down side was the Logan was not as strong as a Trooper and there was little they could do to improve it (use Invid Scout’s HTH damage table as appropriate). It was also found to excel at close range (melee) combat compared to the previous version of the Flying Crab and the baseline Logan (some even rate it above ASC power armor designed for close range combat). All things considered the design was a vast improvement over the original.

The designs (and related designs that borrowed the basic concept but used different mecha) saw very limited production and distribution. The approach was also more mix and match as far as integration goes from the first two units (using Trooper limbs like Scout and vise versa in the previous setups).

Even though they had a demonstrated capacity to cause some confusion on the battlefield, most resistance units preferred to use as “pure” a human design as possible out of species based pride (“we don’t need help from the Invid to drive the Invid off”). There where more than a few friendly fire instances to as the units might be mistaken for an Invid Trooper or Scout.

Interestingly enough, though Invid Sympathizer IMU builders had acquired the design, they did not produce it. No one is quite sure, though the prevailing theory among the resistance is some type of Invid involvement.

Mark 2 Bee-Hive Improvised Weapon Unit
Parts List:
1 GR-103 Missile Pod
1 RL-6 Rocket Launcher (may substitute RL-2, RL-4 or similar weapons)

The Mark 2 Bee-Hive Rocket Launcher is not directly related to the Mark 1 created by Zentreadi malcontents (post 2011) on Earth but shares the basic concept of taking a semi-serviceable rocket launcher and mating it to a mecha missile pod.

The re-useable Rocket Launcher is almost always in a state where it can fire a missile, but the magazine system needs to be replaced (and no parts are available) forcing the operator to reload manually after each shot. This greatly exposes the time they are vulnerable.

The Mecha missile pod during the Invid occupation is almost always a GR-103 salvaged from a non-serviceable VR-041 Saber Cyclone. And may or may not use the Cyclone’s targeting system, instead adapting the RL targeting.

The two parts are then joined, giving the operator the ability to fire off a volley or single shots. The weapon is somewhat unwieldy owing to the GR-103, but with practice it becomes easier to use (takes two extra actions to aim without sufficient practice/experience, and can be very tiring due to the weight).

On rare occasions they mounted a single GR-80 or GR-97 to the side for a few extra shots (even to unmodified manportable RL-#), some have even mounted guns/blasters as a secondary weapon (in this case it can be thought of as the reverse of putting a grenade launcher on an assault rifle).

The Zentreadi mark 1 version would utilize their rocket launcher and mate it with a Light Artillery Pod (one launcher) or some times a Derringer Missile Pod from a Phalanx (usually loaded with SRMs to make it lighter and easier to handle).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the old RPG (like the lancer's rockers suppliment) didn't account for the fact that invid mecha are biological machines. something the New Gen sourcebook failed to account for as well, but it is right there in the main shadow chronicles RPG book.

combining invid and human technologies is more akin to working with cybernetics than with pure machines. your grafting inorganic systems to living tissues.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
cawest
Wanderer

Unread post by cawest »

it would seem that the Invid Sympathizer would have more support from the Invid mission... maybe Invid mechs but "manned". how about Invid weapons to replaced human weapons that can not be resupplid with ammo or battle damaged. how about using invid Missiles on human weapons?
taalismn
Priest

Gryphon wrote:"combining invid and human technologies is more akin to working with cybernetics than with pure machines. your grafting inorganic systems to living tissues."

Hmm...interesting...

"INVIDS GOT ZOIDS!!!!!!!"

Sorry....but my inner Mad Scientist is acting up.
Hide your brains, quick.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cawest
Wanderer

Unread post by cawest »

will we see more Franken-Mecha in upcoming books?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

cawest wrote:will we see more Franken-Mecha in upcoming books?

I believe so. At one time they mentioned them in connection with the Genesis Book.

Currently PB has only two real options for expanding the hardware line:
-un-used OSM designs from SDC:SC or GCM that are used to make TRM and NG arc
-IMU builds
-wait for new material to come out
-less certain is if they can use older RT material with a new spin on it (like the Centaur Hovertank or Sentinels), given they can't update their Prototype builds from 1E this looks like something they aren't able to do.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

cawest wrote:will we see more Franken-Mecha in upcoming books?

https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... ebook.html

[*]New Frankenmechs, like the Fury (a Valkyrie and Zentraedi power armor hybrid).

I certainly hope its not as stupid as the "Ares".
even thou something that large is going to be swarmed and destroyed by invid in seconds.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
ShadowLogan
Palladin

This next IMU is based on some fanart that Zino requested an IMU writeup on.

Broadside Armored Gaurdian Fighter IMU
Based on: http://unspacy.deviantart.com/#/d5nki65

Parts List:
1 VF-1 in Guardian mode (non-transforming usually)
8 VF-1 Fast Pack Dorsal boosters and Missile Pods
2 VF-1 Fast Pack Dorsal Missile Pods (no booster)
1 GU-11 (or other gunpod)
16 ARLEN Mk. 7 30mm Rapid fire Auto-Cannons (or other projectile or beam gun of appropriate size, availability typically results in a mix used)
Equipment for a SLMH to PC conversion

The Broadside Armored Guardian Fighter was constructed by a Resistance unit during the Invid Occupation of Earth to expand the capabilities of several VF-1s they had recovered that where trapped in guardian mode (as SLMH supplies became scarce they had to convert the engines to PC fuel). They had found the stock Guardian competent enough for standard patrols, but when the Invid would respond in large numbers the Guardians where forced to withdraw as they expended the GU-11 and the limited missiles it could carry, and it's beam weapons where to weak for sustained combat like this.

They did have numerous FAST-Pack expansions available, but the unit's performance would suffer in atmosphere, though it would provide more missiles. With the attitude of more thrust being the solution, they had the techs install multiple the boosters however they could to achieve this. The Techs paired two boosters/missile pods to each dorsal station. This had the downside of this was that half the missile launch tubes could no longer properly eject their payload on the dorsal stations. Two spare missile pods where mounted between the dorsal booster pairs, but also had clearance issue with all of their tubes.

To combat the clearance issue, they retrofitted the blocked launchers into gun stations with some minor alterations that would not work for the missiles. Even though the larger 55mm and 78mm could have been used for the guns, they would require more modifications to fit than using smaller .50 caliber upto 30mm size weapons that offered similar (game) range and (game) damage, but with a larger payload. They have even tried beam weapons (using an energy magazine) a few times, a RL-6 (or similar) mini-missile launchers in place (no payload bonus), and the 25mm Mortar from the TZ-IV guncluster.

Two more boosters where installed on each leg using a custom mount on the rear side. Like the dorsal launchers, the leg launchers had clearance issues, but of a different sort. The missiles could eject as designed, but when fired did damage to the leg (1MD per 4 missiles) due to the near point black nature of the exhaust and still required the mecha to be moving slowly (preferably stopped) or the two might collide. This has led to the occasional conversion of those tubes into gun stations (like the dorsal launchers). The leg pods where also modified to act as an improvised missile they could launch (completely unguided) that would fly forward firing off the rest of the payload in a random missile volley. Afterward the pod had a 20% chance of being recovered and serviced.

The additional thrust did overcome some of the performance handicap, but was also found to place undue strain on the new mountings and airframe. While capable of about 25% increase in speed, anything over 5% had a cumulative change of tearing the mounts free (5% chance per each 1% increase over 5% every 3 seconds, roll for each mount). The boosters would then tear free and spin out of control, potentially colliding with the VF. If pilots where lucky to avoid a collision with the booster as it was torn free the thrust imbalance could send them out of control (-30% to pilot skill to regain control) and potentially crash before they regain control. Consequently pilots took effort to avoid the full use of the extra thrust available, holding in reserve for last ditch/emergency maneuvers.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

thank you ShadowLogan !!! awsome man !!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Lost Seraph wrote:So can the Broadside fire all of the gun stations at once? Or in volleys, like missiles? I see many, many, many dead Invid in their future. I just thought of another variant. Strip out the missile tubes, and place Cyclone troopers inside. Instant 16 man platoon with VF-1 fire support.

holy cow N1!!! man
by the way if anyone else is looking there are
two more designs are done and hope ShadowLogan see it and let him make a decition on the new ones
I hope they are good IMU
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the AVPRO Exint pod was a lousy idea when it first proposed in the 90's, i can't see it suddenly becoming viable because the VTOL fighter can grow legs.

earlier experiments with similar concepts done by the Luftwaffe, British, and russians proved even worse.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Lost Seraph wrote:So can the Broadside fire all of the gun stations at once? Or in volleys, like missiles? I see many, many, many dead Invid in their future. I just thought of another variant. Strip out the missile tubes, and place Cyclone troopers inside. Instant 16 man platoon with VF-1 fire support.

At this point I would say G.M.'s call really on how they want to set it up specifically. Personally I would go with volleys as it allows more control over ammunition consumption. I would also balance out the large volleys against small targets by reducing the damage as not all guns will be able to connect, but make it harder to avoid damage (either via a strike bonus for the shooter or a defensive penalty for the defender).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Some more IMUs based on images Zino requested.

Advanced Broadside Veritech IMU
Based on Image:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5nyf9i.jpg

Parts List:
1 VF-1
6 Dorsal Fast Pack Booster and Launcher
1 GU-11 (or other gunpod)
16 ARLEN Mk. 7 30mm Rapid fire Auto-Cannons (or other projectile or beam gun of appropriate size, availability typically results in a mix used)
14 VF-1 Headlaser Mounts (those without Lasers, will usually substitute the EP-37)

As time went on the producers of the Broadside Armored Gaurdian Fighter (IMU) had their design improved upon with a knockoff by another group that had could turn out several serviceable VF-1s and a large cache of FAST-Pack add-ons, more than enough for the restored VF-1s. They had come to the conclusion that the leg mounted Fast packs was a serious inhibitor for a fully transformable VF-1 so they elected to not use them. They also retained the inner dorsal launchers' booster sections (this increases the length in fighter and gaurdian mode) for added thrust. Otherwise the Advanced Broadside dorsal section was configured just like the regular broadside initially.

To supplement the loss of the FAST-Pack launchers on the legs, the technicians installed a quartet of extra beam cannons. They installed a VF-1 head laser turret on the outside of the intake, and another beam weapon in a fixed forward position inside the intake. Sometimes the VF-1 laser was not useable, so they would substitute other portable beam weapons (usually ASC Energy Rifles or EP-37s). In either case the weapons have an independent energy magazine that they change out to charge later.

This IMU team was all about one-upping an existing IMU team with a modified version of the original that was supposed to be better in every way (not that it was necessarily the actual case). So when they started to hear about the Sleipnir IMU using the Broadside's dorsal configuration with additional fire support, they elected to add even more guns to the ABV. On 10 of the 14 available sides of the dorsal pack (all 6) they installed another VF-1 type head laser turret (sometimes they had to use ASC ones that had more limited movement) basically identical to the intake guns (in setup).

Sleipnir IMU
Based on Image:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5nrxty.jpg

Parts List:
1 VF-1A/J/R/D/S (Guardian Mode)
1 set of Condor Legs and Pelvis (if using 1E's Vindicator VF-1V can substitute it, write up is by 2E)
1 set of VF-1 feet (not needed if VF-1V)
4 FAST-Pack Dorsal Boosters with Missile Launchers
2 FAST-Pack Dorsal Missile Launchers (no booster section)
2 VF-1J/D Head Lasers)

The Sleipnir* guardian IMU appeared during the Invid occupation of Earth in an attempt to restore a VF-1 that had been totaled in Guardian mode. Aside from the missing lower legs, the unit was fairly intact and serviceable. They could simply remove the arms and turn it into a conventional fighter, but they would still need to replace the main engines (of which they did not have any suitable candidates). The transformation system was also heavily damaged, so they couldn't simply switch it to battloid mode either. Lacking size compatible parts, the guardian sat in the back of the storage lot and occasionally played with (hoping to restore it to its former glory).

It was only with the influx of Condor Battloid parts that the IMU engineers saw a way to restore the guardian to a functional status. The legs where of similar size as the VF-1 making them a perfect fit. The new legs where not compatible with the remaining section of the original legs, but they did have a Condor pelvis to work work with. The Condor's leg and pelvis assembly was installed and integrated on the undercarriage of the VF-1. The original leg intakes of the VF-1 where given some new ducting to supply airflow to the Condor foot thrusters. For some reason the Battloid designers had installed a "slipper" over the foot that restricted performance, the IMU builders elected to remove the assembly and go with the proven VF-1 foot for optimum performance.

The Condor legs also provided the Sleipnir an extra 16 SRMs (or even more mini's, the 1E Vindicator provides 26 SRMs), in addition to the Valkarie's regular wing hardpoints, GU-11 gunpod, and head laser. The endurance of the unit was better than a stock VF-1 Guardian, but was found to still be lagging compared to newer designs. This did not hamper initial production of additional IMUs.

It was later, after the recovery of VF-1 Fast Pack hardware and information about the Broadside Armored Guardian that the IMU engineers where able to take the Sleipnir to the next level. The engineers adapted the B.A.G IMU's dorsal assembly of FAST-Pack boosters pretty closely. The only real difference between it and the B.A.G's was the addition of a pair of VF-1J (or D) style head lasers to the mix, mounting one on either side of the stack in the booster part to give the mecha the ability to target enemies in the mecha's weapon blind spots (mostly behind, but also above and to the sides to).

Performance improved (15% jump), but like the B.A.G, the boosters and airframe where subjected to additional stresses. Unlike the B.A.G though, the Sleipnir wasn't subjected to the same level of stress due to fewer engines and was more easily managed (same penalty as the B.A.G, but the time frame is increased to 15second intervals).

*I wanted to use a name connected to the Valkaries of mythology, specifically their mounts but could not find a proper name at Wikipedia or in a quick internet search, but I did find the name of Odin's mount, and have chosen to use it to refer to this IMU if anyone is interested where the name comes from.

Cosmo-Sapper Valkarie IMU
Based on Images:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5nuxdw.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5nycm2.jpg
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2 ... 4qjif2.jpg

Notes here: In the second pic I am ignoring battloid depiction as it doesn't work in a couple of ways, the full Gaurdian won't have the under-wing FAST-Pack boosters as they don't fit with arms IMHO.

Parts List
1 VF-1
7 FAST-Pack Boosters
2 GU-11 Gunpod
6 VF-1 Head Lasers (A/D/J/R Style), 4 on boosters 2 on legs
1 Multi-Purpose "Crane Arm" Assembly (this can be a large arm from the Zentaedi Recovery Pod, some other vehicle, or an improvised build)

The Cosmo-Sapper Valkarie is a space only platform that had UEDF involvement from the get go as a combat engineering mecha to support Valkarie boarding actions to appear in late 2013. The Spiderbug EVA pod was not up to the task of support a Valkarie squadron in this role (slow and not combat ready), and neither where the available Destroids (and newer ASC hardware). Allied Zentaedi female power armor had the raw strength to do it, but was better used for other functions. All of this lead to the decision to create a Sapper variant of the Valkarie.

The initial configuration of the Sapper Valkarie was a regular VF-1D with the regular FAST-Packs mounted plus one extra dorsal booster mounted between the two regular dorsal boosters. The extra booster had the missile launcher removed and a "multi-purose manipulator arm" installed, the arm itself is carried externally, but some of the supporting hardware (power pack, avionics, etc) are carried in the launcher itself. Additionally the extra booster required bracing (due to available space, it is connected with the other dorsal bosters and not the Valkarie itself). A VF-1D was chosen for it's two seat characteristics, allowing a fully trained sapper to ride shotgun (later versions would switch to the A, with an adequately cross-trained sapper/valkarie pilot).

The multi-purose manipulator arm was one of the large arms salvaged from a Zentreadi Recovery Pod that was mounted on top of the extra booster. Later builds would use what ever they had on hand to create the arm. The arm is typically used in Fighter or Guardian modes, as that seems to be the easiest to work with. It is available in Battloid mode as a "tail", but (forward) reach is limited due to positioning.

The first trials went well relatively speaking, but they highlighted the need for the Valkarie to carry additional specialized equipment (tools, charges, etc). Externally mounting the hardware was possible, but would impose additional weight penalties on the Valkarie that would prevent it from keeping up with its regular cousins. This lead to the suggestion of replacing the missile launcher on the dorsal pack with a (disguised) cargo pod for this equipment. As this was done and the list of equipment to be carried finalized it was found that two launchers would not offer enough room, so a second set was co-joined to the first. Mecha was also modified to sport two belly hardpoints for a GU-11 (or escape capsules) on each, the second GU-11 carried has been modified to fire a smaller burst of explosive ammo (1/2 damage to a 40ft area for 3 rounds burst, payload carried is 1/2 for saftey reasons, range is also 1/2). A few have modifed the GU-11 to contain a single barrel 105mm demolition gun (see Masters Sb pg147).

The mecha was also modified to sport additional lasers for cutting duties (can still be used for combat) that are VF-1 head lasers (non-S model). A pair have been installed on the engine intakes outboard side, and another two on the top mounted FAST Packs. The Fast-Pack stations use a magaizine-charge system and are not directly powered by the Valkarie (essentially they operate like the beam weapons on many ASC mecha) to avoid placing to much strain on the power distribution system. In this configuration the Valkarie still retains full transformation capability.

Sometimes the situation calls for the Sapper to carry extra hardware (extra charges, tools, parts, etc). This hardware is carried in two more modified dorsal packs carried on the underwing that are basically identical to the extra outboard dorsal packs (cargo pod, cutting laser). This has the side effect of limiting the Valkarie to fighter and it's VTOL (1/2 Gaurdian) mode until they are ejected (which occurs automatically with transformation).

The Cosmo Sapper Valkarie served into the late 2020s before being retired as the cost of maintaining the unit became prohibitive (and some say political pressure). During this time only a small number are actually built, maybe 1 in 24 Valkaries in space are Sappers at the height of their numbers. The C.S.V did have a more combat focused version appear in even smaller numbers with the cargo-pods remaining missile launchers (modified to fire out one side only as the other is blocked with full payload available) and the arm equipped to be more of a "stinger" than a "hand" (by mounting a heavy cannon in place of the manipulator).
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

wow I am humble( i am not worthy wish there was a smile face this ) by your writing which I suck man ,man I agree so here
http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/Cosmo ... a_recent=1
deviant account too
http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/Cosmo ... a_recent=1
you rock ShadowLogan
taalismn
Priest

Just wanted to use this picture(from the DarkRoastedBlend website) for something:

Colonial Services ‘Jethro’ AFV(Agricultural Fighting Vehicle)
(aka ‘Rusty’)
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/l28.jpg

“Yeah, it looks like a joke, but livin’ here so close to that old Genesis Pit the flyboys found up in those mountains, we get some big buggers come down looking for browse or meat. You don’t want to get caught out in the open without cover or firepower when one of them comes across you, so having your ride a Rusty makes perfect sense. The ZSU-23s I got on mine, I bought a ways back from that Russian dealer back in Landing, they’ve saved my ass and my crop about a half-dozen times, and likewise the armor-glass I got too. That big jawbone over my door? Saw that? Almost went down that gullet before I gave him both barrels full-auto. Scratched the glass up something fierce when it jumped me in the north fields, but the cab held long enough for me to go ack-ack on his face. Kept the jaw, cut and plowed the rest of him into the fields. That beast will make fine fertilizer for next year’s wheat.”

Components:
TC-56 Agricultural Tractor
M299 MUMUV, CT-20 Cargo Truck, or VM-9 Silverback Armored Windscreens,
VM-9 Silverback Wheel Covers and Roof Turret
2x various heavy machine guns, light autocannon, rocket launchers, or energy rifles.

Almost everybody one asks in human-dominated space will argue that the ‘Jethro AFV’ is NOT mecha, and is NOT an IMU, though it IS rather haphazardly improvised from various spare parts. Those who actually USE the Jethro will argue long and hard that it IS a mecha, albeit a poor man’s mecha, and their volume and stubbornness in aforementioned arguments tends to match the quantity of naysayers arrayed against them.
The Jethros came into service almost as soon as the UEEF’s Colonial Branch began settling worlds with their own biospheres and substantial ecologies. When stretched resources couldn’t provide enough security mecha and combat vehicles for constant overwatch against large predators, the colonial farmers made their own improvised security vehicles from whatever spare sparts they could scrounge up. In the case of the ‘Jethro’, the basis was the TC-56 Agricultural Tractor, armored applique-style with tacked on pieces of armor from other vehicles, a cab armored in armor-glass, and a weapons turret, with two paired weapons mounted in it, atop it all. Early Jethros used a variety of available weaponry, mainly older, but still-in-production types such as M3A2m .50 caliber and M-227 14.5mm HMGs, 20mm and 23mm autocannon, and even the occasional Mk. 25 grenade launcher(used ostensibly for ‘stump renoval’), Later Jethros mounted RL-2 rocket launchers or even paired energy rifles(from a variety of sources...colonies established on ex-Tirolian colony worlds often mounted Tirolian laser rifles). Easy to build, easy to use, and all-terrain, these ‘gun tractors’ began appearing in the ‘wild frontier’ of not-quite stabilized feral worlds, where they provided their equally well-armed settler operators with an extra degree of fire support.

‘Jethros’ were generally regarded by UEEF military command as jokes(or eccentric military-culture folk art), and in some cases as a misallocation of resources, and a Jethro mounting contraband parts and weaponry could be confiscated and its owner/builder jailed. As fighting vehicles, Jethros weren’t at all suitable for fighting off the well-equipped main enemies of Humanity, so arming the tractors and expecting them to perform like proper military vehicles was considered fostering a false sense of security amongst colonials. Indeed, the few times the Jethros were known to be in the path of such foes as renegade Zentraedi, Tirolians, or the Invid, the owners wisely abandoned the vehicles and left the real fighting to the purpose-built combat mecha. This didn’t stop their construction, however, in those colonies where the ecosystem was wilder and the constraints against civilian ownership and use of heavy weaponry were more lax. As stiffening against alien predators and agricultural pests, Jethros gave yeomen service to the many veteran soldiers-turned-settlers who pioneered the UEG colonies. Most Jethros saw only occasional vermin-blasting, but more than a few colonial-born recruits to the UEEF saw their first training on heavy weapons take place with the family Agricultural Fighting Vehicle.
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Them Crows ain't never gonna eat MY corn again!!!
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

SRoss wrote:Them Crows ain't never gonna eat MY corn again!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
indeed
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the AVPRO Exint pod was a lousy idea when it first proposed in the 90's, i can't see it suddenly becoming viable because the VTOL fighter can grow legs.

earlier experiments with similar concepts done by the Luftwaffe, British, and russians proved even worse.

Because strapping your ass to the Wings makes even worse sense, as we have been doing with helicopters in this past decade.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
taalismn
Priest

Pterosaurs actually...(Genesis Pits, remember?)...and they'd go after cattle. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

taalismn wrote:

Pterosaurs actually...(Genesis Pits, remember?)...and they'd go after cattle. :D

It did kind of look like something they'd dream up on Sons of Guns.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Gamer wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the AVPRO Exint pod was a lousy idea when it first proposed in the 90's, i can't see it suddenly becoming viable because the VTOL fighter can grow legs.

Because strapping your ass to the Wings makes even worse sense, as we have been doing with helicopters in this past decade.

the difference is that;
A) with the exint pod, your on your back and have to crawl out backards from the pod to leave, which takes longer than unstrapping and sliding off a wing. climbing back in takes even longer. longer time on the ground = bad idea for aircraft.
B) the pods were intended for use with the AV-8 Harrier. which was never intended to do drop people off and has a serious weight limit for VTOL operation, meaning it would have to go in virtually unarmed.
c) if a helicopter takes fire, it's not likely to be pulling 9+ positive or negative g manuevers when trying to escape then enemy. the AV-8 with Exint pods would be.
d) if a helicopter takes a hit, it can autorotate to reduce crash damage. the AV-8 with Exint pods just crashes. (a harrier barely can glide..) if a helicopter goes down, you can jump off when it's low enough, or use a parchute if its high enough. with an Exint pod, if the Fighter goes down, the person in the pod won't even be able to tell, and can't bail out.

removing the Beta's bomb racks to expand it's personnel crawlspace into a passenger bay big enough to carry 4-6 regular soldiers would work, but strapping infantry to the wings is a bad idea for a fighter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Gamer wrote:

the difference is that;
A) with the exint pod, your on your back and have to crawl out backards from the pod to leave, which takes longer than unstrapping and sliding off a wing. climbing back in takes even longer. longer time on the ground = bad idea for aircraft.
B) the pods were intended for use with the AV-8 Harrier. which was never intended to do drop people off and has a serious weight limit for VTOL operation, meaning it would have to go in virtually unarmed.
c) if a helicopter takes fire, it's not likely to be pulling 9+ positive or negative g manuevers when trying to escape then enemy. the AV-8 with Exint pods would be.
d) if a helicopter takes a hit, it can autorotate to reduce crash damage. the AV-8 with Exint pods just crashes. (a harrier barely can glide..) if a helicopter goes down, you can jump off when it's low enough, or use a parchute if its high enough. with an Exint pod, if the Fighter goes down, the person in the pod won't even be able to tell, and can't bail out.

removing the Beta's bomb racks to expand it's personnel crawlspace into a passenger bay big enough to carry 4-6 regular soldiers would work, but strapping infantry to the wings is a bad idea for a fighter.

The dumbest part of Exint was the use of the Harrier jet as a covert means - there is nothing covert about a Harrier in it's Vtol mode.

Exint pods were made for the A-64, AH-1, MH-60 among others.
It does not take that long to 'get in', It's on record it's harder to get in than the Abrams driving simulator than these are.
It is still considerably better than strapping yourself onto aircraft structures that were never intended to carry weight. such as ammo access doors on the AH-1 or strapping yourself to the Front cover of the AH-64 turbine? which is WHY the pilots cannot and will not try any evasive maneuvers compared to putting them in pods.
Landing in a pod via parachute isn't any different than landing in the encapsulated ejection seats.
That was tested in the greir pod.

This is by far not the first time this was used, KG 200 used PAGs which housed 3 people and used the novel item the parachute and dropped from Ju188s and worked just fine. one person who used this more than once in Jag 200 is still alive.

There is still desire for the GRIER pods and the possible redesign of CTU2 pods for personnel dropping.

With the insane BS maneuvers and Gs the pilots in robotech pull and continue with no problem and you want to cry over the 9 Gs a Harrier does and a exint pod :lol:
Especially when one considers a strapped in person in prone position deals with G's better than the sitting position does.
Then consider the fact the Robotech planes were already using 'pods', the disconnected cockpits of downed VF1s for awhile.
so an exint/grier pod is not out of the question in Robotech -or Rifts- at all.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I have some "Sword to Plows" conversions here. The Gnerl STP is more defined, with the "Mecha Sports" being an ill-defined one as I'm looking at the basic concept for the most part.

Incidentally would anyone be interested in seeing my IMU re-writes for some (okay most) of the new mecha from "Strike Force" and "Return of the Masters"?

Zentraedi Gnerl “Swords to Plows” IMU Series
Parts List:
1 Gnerl Zentraedi Fighter pod
1 set of SHC-08 cockpit stations (or other suitable vehicles that has fly-by wire capacity)
Additional Material for conversion
Specialized gantries are needed on the ground for proper boarding and disembarkation (though safety systems are installed for the humans on board to exit)

The Zentraedi Gnerl Fighter Pod found a new home during the late 2010s and throughout the 2020s in a variety of “swords to plows” projects that took the military vehicles and converted them for civilian roles and rose to prominence in 3 areas: as a fast package delivery vehicle (think FedEx or UPS with 24hour delivery anywhere in the world), as a sub-orbital tourist vehicle (caters more to the wealthy due to cost), and as an astronomy aircraft.

Scrapping the existing cockpit of the Gnerl leaving it in a hollowed out state is a common modification to all three versions. This new bay is then modified in various ways specific to the job it will be performing, but they all drop an existing human cockpit module in under the Fighter Pod’s canopy and hook it’s controls up. It takes some software patches to get the two systems to interface properly. Anything being put in the former cockpit has to enter via the open Zentraedi sized canopy (this includes cargo, usually lifted into place with a crane).

As the human cockpit is much less than the Zentraedi one in needed space, the rest of it is devoted to accommodations for the “payload”. As a package delivery vehicle it can transport 10 metric tons of cargo anywhere in the world. As a tourist vehicle it has the capacity for 25 passengers comfortably (flights are not always full, and is sometimes used to fly researchers to the edge of space). The unit has also been converted into a flying astronomical observatory that can take advantage of the high speed and altitude of the Zentraedi craft.

The nose gun is always removed, and replaced with a simple nose cone for aerodynamic considerations, occasionally it is equipped with scientific instruments, but is usually empty. The missile launchers have been removed, allowing for additional storage of materials (either fuel, instruments, or cargo, but not passengers).

"Mecha Sports"
During the early period of Zentaedi assimilation (2012-4), some of the Zentreadi had found sports to be a good fit, even those of giant stature. And the sight of giant Zentraedi playing human games in practice eventually turned into a regular following of humans coming to watch for a time. This would lead to the formation of professional sports leagues (micronized Zentraedi would play against humans) for the giants.

Micronized Zentraedi in the human leagues was more profitable than the giant on giant action, mostly because the overhead for the giants was higher. By 2018 the giants only leagues was clearly on the way out and by 2020 it folded completely marking the end of the giants playing human games.

That wasn’t the end of Zentreadi involvement in professional sports during this period, rather the focus changed from pure giant action (which had a novelty factor, but was otherwise no more exciting than “human” size events) to mecha-assisted games based on human games (and sometimes adjusting the rules to compensate).

The vast supply of Regults Battlepods resulted in a variety of sports, one being a rather “unique” sport of Regult “Chicken Fights”. This involved two man teams (of giants) with one piloting the Regult, the other riding on the outside. They would then try to knock the outside rider off, basically a chicken fight on a grand scale. Sometimes it would be done with jousting rules (need lance). The pods would be stripped of ranged weapons, and where typically modified for better melee fighting and rider support. Communication between teammates is limited, as radio communication is not allowed (if the referees detect communication signals you could be disqualified or given another type of penalty).

More traditional “sports” (like various racing, demolition derby, other field games) where done, but they used a host of mecha types. The games always used weaponless versions of the mecha to play, with specially constructed game aides (bats, balls, etc) that where still necessary to play. Most “leagues” under these circumstances did try to create a balance to some degree by restricting the mecha that where allowed to having similar size and capability. The leagues did not have any purpose built units, though they did seem to enjoy preference in getting surplus units and parts (a small percentage of which found their way to the black market).

These games where popular through the 2020s, both on and off world. Off world sites where known to “borrow” govt. hardware for games that had some degree of sanction as it helped with morale. On world it was more rare, but done among ASC units.

During the 2030s and 40s, off world play flourished. And while some would think the Invid Occupation would end these types of games, the Invid where persuaded to allow them to continue on some level by their human supporters as it helped keep the masses happy.

The Invid did restrict the type of mecha that could be used, and put in place a PC support network that was very restrictive. The Invid would provide the PC for both matches and practice at the start and would collect them at the end of the event.

The resistance is not known to have performed any heists as they are not sure how the Invid would react and to avoid putting innocent civilians in the line of fire. They have targeted the PC during transit successfully, but it has also been known to have repercussions…
taalismn
Priest

Love it. Shows a high-tech interstellar society trying to move some aspects of its technology away from a pure war footing.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

taalismn wrote:Love it. Shows a high-tech interstellar society trying to move some aspects of its technology away from a pure war footing.

I think it happens anyway, we just haven't seen it yet as the focus is more on combat than non-combat spinoffs.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Some more IMUs done for Zino based on provided images.
Extra Thrust Armored Valkarie IMU
Based on Image: http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/super ... 70650&qo=1

Parts List:
1 Super VF-1
1 Extra GU-11 (optional)
2 GBP-1S Boosters

The Extra Thrust Armored Valkarie IMU is an older IMU implemented by UEDF forces during the 2010s to give the Armored Valkarie (FAST-Pack) additional thrust for use out in space allowing the unit to achieve higher speeds (end result is nearly double the baseline Valkarie, providing an additional +1 dodge bonus) without effecting weapons availability by mounting the unused stockpile of GBP-1S Booster to the dorsal area of the FAST-Pack booster launchers. Pilots would have liked to have seen a reload capability for the GU-11, but a field clip (and extended magazine) just was not seen as practical, so instead they modified the FAST-Pack Forearm units to each be able to carry a single GU-11 (or VF-1 escape capsule).

Mark 1A and 1B Enhanced GBP-1S Armored Battloid IMU
Based on Image: http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=0
(1picture on the left is Mark 1, center picture ignore the extra boosters is the Mark 2, in both cases the 2 shot launcher on the front lower leg has been replaced with the rear leg launcher for simplicity)

Parts List:
1 GBP-1S with VF-1
2 Extra GBP-1S Boosters
2 Extra GBP-1S Shoulder Pods (Tomahawk or Spartan units can be substituted)
6 Extra GBP-1S Hip Launchers (may substitute outer leg launchers, only need 4)
2 Extra GBP-1S Rear Leg launchers
2 Extra GBP-1S Forearm Launchers (or Beta Forearm Guns)
8 Head Lasers and Turret
Bouncy enhancement (not visible)

The Enhanced GBP-1S Armored Battloid IMU is an attempt to maximize the 2:1 stockpile of GBP-1S to VF-1s (plus some spare parts for each) a naval-based resistance force had acquired during the Invid Occupation. The Mark 1A version was successful in doubling up several of the existing missile launchers offered by the GBP-1S at the expense of mobility, but the extra firepower (60 SRM) helped to offset it. At anytime all the GBP-1S parts can still be jettisoned

The shoulder pods (that are identical to the Tomahawk and Spartan Destroids) do place some restrictions on the movement of the arm at the shoulder joint, making hand-to-hand combat difficult. They also had to rework the jettison system on this particular part to work properly. The hands can still use a gunpod, but the range of motion is still going to be limited by the upper arm. The forearm sections where enlarged, so they could sport another row of launchers (or Beta Forearm guns) just above the original. This enlargement was made possible by breaking two perfectly good GBP-1S forearm attachment units into two sections differently and then connecting them together properly. Like the forearm stations, the hip launchers where doubled up to each form single 2x3 stack (from the existing 1x3). Due to spare parts availability and battle damage, this 2x3 setup would later find its way into the inner side of the leg armor after the supply of extra outer leg box launchers that was placed there was used up. Finally two launchers located on the back legs of the GBP-1S where duplicated on the front of the lower leg.

As battle experience was gained the operators felt the need to installed several additional light laser turrets to the body of the mecha, two each on the rear portion of the forearm shield, and two more on each booster (providing inner/outer setup) resulting in the Mark 1B version. There was talk about adding additional modified boosters to the back of the mecha to add mobility, but the techs had trouble implementing a mounting system that could work.

Due to the weight, the mecha is usually used when in a deep body of water, though dry land operations have been executed. In the water the mecha is a bit more mobile as it is closer to operating in the micro-gravity of space while swimming owing to the installation of bouncy enhancement devices, and on dry land it's booster unit is insufficient to counter all the extra mass and can no longer fly (it can't even manage a booster assisted leap).

Katara Beta IMU
Based on Image: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=gallery ... 0#/d5o5p82

Parts List:
1 Beta
40 individual launch tubes from the Alpha’s MM-60 or Condor’s MM-42
2 Alpha (H/I/Z) Shoulder Sensor Pods (1E can replace with the LRM tube and cover that has been shortened to accept an MRM or concealed light caliber gun)
1 Extra Back Mounted Sensor Pod from the Beta
4 GBP-1S Forearm OR Hip launchers
2 AGAC (reinforced) Helicopter Blades or Beta Wing tips (1E can also use Gladius Prototype Sword Blades if available)
2 VF-1 Battloid Hands (may substitute Condor)

The Katara Beta IMU was constructed in 2042 out of a recovered 21st Mars Division Veritech Beta Fighter shortly after it was recovered, along with the remains of the several Alpha Veritechs. The IMU technicians the salvaged hardware where not sure what to make of the Beta Fighter as it was a relatively new design that appeared to be based on the little known VFB-7 prototypes from the early 2020s that was designed to support the Alpha Fighter. What they could tell from going over it was that it was in pretty good shape, and could easily be restored to working order. There where also few takers within the resistance for such an “exotic” machine.

It was only with the infusion of knowledgeable 21st Mars Division personnel that the Beta found a home, and was promptly damaged in its first sortie trapping it in Battloid mode and sent back to the IMU engineers for repairs. Before the engineers started they asked for suggestions on modifications as the unit’s transformation system had been disabled and parts lacking.

The pilot suggested adding additional 190mm short-range missile launch stations to the Beta along with some type of melee weapon like the pilot’s VR-041 Cyclone had.

The technicians worked out a method to mount a 40 of the Alpha’s MM-60 launch tubes at tactically over the body in 12 sets of three tubes and two sets as in a pair. The pair of launchers where installed on the front of the Beta’s leg, and flanked on either side in two tiers of three (total of 14 per leg). The leg launchers result in a slight decrease in available thrust (-5% to flight speed) as the engines where reworked to make room.

The remaining 12 Alpha tubes, where mounted in two sets of 3 on each forearm shield that had been increased to make room for one of the VF-1’s GBP-1S triple shot short-range missile launchers. A second set of the triple shot launchers where boxed up and placed on top of the Sensor pod giving the illusion of a second bank on the T-shaped sensor pod for an additional 6 short range missiles (total of 46 short range missiles over the baseline of 56). (Note if done in a 1E setting, put both triple shots into the wrists as the wrist-mounted thrusters are removed, and install a second MRM rack.)

The VR-041 CADS-1 type blades for the Beta were a bit trickier to pull off as there where no sword blades built at that size. What the technicians ended up doing was reinforcing a helicopter blade (salvaged from an AGAC, or any helicopter really) and chopping it down to a suitable length. To mount them properly they determined the blades would have to go in between the wrist guns and hand. To make room for the blades they removed the Beta’s existing hands and replaced it with the slightly smaller hands from a VF-1 Battloid (or the Condor Battloid and Spartan Destroid will work). The blades do not retract. (Note if done in a 1E setting, a Gladius Destroid’s blades will suffice, if one can get a hold of them).

For added sensor support two Alpha shoulder sensor pods where installed just above the Alpha upper engine locking ports. This gives the illusion of a second set of those docking ports being present just above the actual ones. Some additional computing power had to be installed to handle all the extra sensor data, but the pilot will find the duplicated sensors working together giving a slightly larger viewing angle, maximum distance, and resolution (+1 init, +1 strike on aimed called shot with guns).

The design proved marginally successful when it returned to the field, with requests for their Katara IMUs. When in a “passive” mode, a variation of the Katara known as the Misty Katara looks identical to the regular Katara on the surface.

As a distraction in the Misty Katara’s “active” mode, it will generate smoke clouds to engulf it and it’s melee opponent or high intensity bursts of light as the majority of the extra missile launchers (all but the wrist) have been replaced with the necessary hardware. The smoke is used to partially blind the Invid in melee fighting (have to rely purely on their protoculture optics, which are not up to the task) as the MK’s thermal cameras can counter the effect quite effectively. The spotlights are used to distract/blind targets to get in close or when the smoke dispensers are all empty, and only effective at night or in dark areas.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

And one of my own.
Spiderbug Sapper Battloid IMU
Parts List:
1 Spiderbug EVA Pod
2 Basilisk Battloid Arms
1 Basilisk Shoulder Winch
1 Basilisk Grapnel Launcher
2 Logan Legs (w/Pelvis)
2 Logan Main Engines (optional)
1 EP-20 (optional)
Additional Cockpit systems taken from the Basilisk and Logan to handle their respective system contributions.

The Spiderbug Sapper Battloid was initially constructed during the very late 2010s by combat engineers of the UEDF space forces who where increasingly running into the limits of the new Manticore Power Armor and Basilisk non-transformable Battloid out in space. While the Basiliks was designed as a combat engineering battloid, it was poorly optimized for use in space. The Manticore was just the opposite, it was a very good a space power armor, but not really well equipped for combat engineering in space.

There was talk about creating a space only version of the Logan to handle the task, but it was difficult to get a hold of one of the costly Veritech units to modify and fighter flyboys (and girls) really did not (generally) take to the sapper role too well. Several proposals where also put forward by engineers in the field and even executed, including the Spiderbug Sapper Battloid.

At it’s core was a functional Spiderbug in need of a service life extension. Parts of the Spiderbug where serviced that would give them another ten years of life, with the rest being replaced as the EVA pod morphed into a Battloid. The undercarriage engine was removed to make way for the necessary hardware to connect a salvaged Logan Pelvis and legs. Since the Logan’s legs already had thrusters built into them, there was no loss in mobility.

On either side of the Spiderbug where installed a Basilisk arm (which also included the shoulder grapnel launcher and winch). These arms where not as strong as some of the options available, but chosen for the existing tool infrastructure that wasn’t present anywhere else. The arms have been placed so that the existing arms of the Spiderbug can still function with adequate range of motion. The original arms of the bug are not as strong as the Basikisk, but extremely useful in that they allow the mecha to do the handwork of several mecha in tight quarters (it has 7 arms essentially, allowing it to function as 3 Manticores).

Allowances where also made to mount a pair of main engines from the Logan behind the arms to increase available thrust (for speed and mobility), but not all the units received the engines due to availability. This allows the unit to match the Manticore’s space speeds with it’s thruster pack.

The only armament carried is a hand-held gunpod, which is usually the EP-20 (though it can handle an EU-11/10, a more practical demolition gun was desired and sometimes mounted in place of the Spiderbug’s large manipulator arm as a suitable sized gunpod wasn’t available). A tie down location has been provided for the gunpod on the legs. In addition the legs also carry several (3, 4 total counting what is in the right forearm mount) additional tools allowing the SSB to swap tools out in the field. These tools are adapted for use in space, but otherwise identical to the Basilisk’s tool kit.

The Spiderbug Sapper Battloid served though the 2020s before being retired to free up funds for a dedicated space battloid to take over a few years later (it was also in need of another SLEP, which was considered to costly resulting in the new program). However that was not to be as the war with the Masters and subsequent invasion by the Invid put an end to those plans.

Units found on Invid Occupied Earth are typically a sister unit used by the Sea Squad (wet Navy) that had been built out of a submersible version of the Spiderbug. In most cases Resistance units would use scrap it for parts, or use it as a regular Battloid (usually ineffective), very few used it for combat engineering.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

“Fat Boy” Zentraedi IMU
The Z1, Z1A, and Z2Fat Boy IMUs were built by human and zentraedi resistance fighters in the area that used to be the Zentraedi control zone, approximately two dozen of each were built during the beginning of the invid invasion and the liberation of earth.

Parts List:
1 Regult Battlepod (Z1), Light Artillery Regult (Z1A), Heavy Artillery Regult (Z2)
2 Destroid Arms (preferably from the Spartan or Nousjadeul-Ger)
2 Destroid, Nousjadeul-Ger, or Quedluun-Rau legs.

Optional weapons include what comes standard on the Battle Pods, plus a hand-held Gun Pod
Last edited by Snake Eyes on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dragon Has Spoken
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

taalismn wrote:Just wanted to use this picture(from the DarkRoastedBlend website) for something:

Colonial Services ‘Jethro’ AFV(Agricultural Fighting Vehicle)
(aka ‘Rusty’)
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/l28.jpg

“Yeah, it looks like a joke, but livin’ here so close to that old Genesis Pit the flyboys found up in those mountains, we get some big buggers come down looking for browse or meat. You don’t want to get caught out in the open without cover or firepower when one of them comes across you, so having your ride a Rusty makes perfect sense. The ZSU-23s I got on mine, I bought a ways back from that Russian dealer back in Landing, they’ve saved my ass and my crop about a half-dozen times, and likewise the armor-glass I got too. That big jawbone over my door? Saw that? Almost went down that gullet before I gave him both barrels full-auto. Scratched the glass up something fierce when it jumped me in the north fields, but the cab held long enough for me to go ack-ack on his face. Kept the jaw, cut and plowed the rest of him into the fields. That beast will make fine fertilizer for next year’s wheat.”

Components:
TC-56 Agricultural Tractor
M299 MUMUV, CT-20 Cargo Truck, or VM-9 Silverback Armored Windscreens,
VM-9 Silverback Wheel Covers and Roof Turret
2x various heavy machine guns, light autocannon, rocket launchers, or energy rifles.

Almost everybody one asks in human-dominated space will argue that the ‘Jethro AFV’ is NOT mecha, and is NOT an IMU, though it IS rather haphazardly improvised from various spare parts. Those who actually USE the Jethro will argue long and hard that it IS a mecha, albeit a poor man’s mecha, and their volume and stubbornness in aforementioned arguments tends to match the quantity of naysayers arrayed against them.
The Jethros came into service almost as soon as the UEEF’s Colonial Branch began settling worlds with their own biospheres and substantial ecologies. When stretched resources couldn’t provide enough security mecha and combat vehicles for constant overwatch against large predators, the colonial farmers made their own improvised security vehicles from whatever spare sparts they could scrounge up. In the case of the ‘Jethro’, the basis was the TC-56 Agricultural Tractor, armored applique-style with tacked on pieces of armor from other vehicles, a cab armored in armor-glass, and a weapons turret, with two paired weapons mounted in it, atop it all. Early Jethros used a variety of available weaponry, mainly older, but still-in-production types such as M3A2m .50 caliber and M-227 14.5mm HMGs, 20mm and 23mm autocannon, and even the occasional Mk. 25 grenade launcher(used ostensibly for ‘stump renoval’), Later Jethros mounted RL-2 rocket launchers or even paired energy rifles(from a variety of sources...colonies established on ex-Tirolian colony worlds often mounted Tirolian laser rifles). Easy to build, easy to use, and all-terrain, these ‘gun tractors’ began appearing in the ‘wild frontier’ of not-quite stabilized feral worlds, where they provided their equally well-armed settler operators with an extra degree of fire support.

‘Jethros’ were generally regarded by UEEF military command as jokes(or eccentric military-culture folk art), and in some cases as a misallocation of resources, and a Jethro mounting contraband parts and weaponry could be confiscated and its owner/builder jailed. As fighting vehicles, Jethros weren’t at all suitable for fighting off the well-equipped main enemies of Humanity, so arming the tractors and expecting them to perform like proper military vehicles was considered fostering a false sense of security amongst colonials. Indeed, the few times the Jethros were known to be in the path of such foes as renegade Zentraedi, Tirolians, or the Invid, the owners wisely abandoned the vehicles and left the real fighting to the purpose-built combat mecha. This didn’t stop their construction, however, in those colonies where the ecosystem was wilder and the constraints against civilian ownership and use of heavy weaponry were more lax. As stiffening against alien predators and agricultural pests, Jethros gave yeomen service to the many veteran soldiers-turned-settlers who pioneered the UEG colonies. Most Jethros saw only occasional vermin-blasting, but more than a few colonial-born recruits to the UEEF saw their first training on heavy weapons take place with the family Agricultural Fighting Vehicle.

That is what you call a high tech redneck.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
taalismn
Priest

Chris0013 wrote:[That is what you call a high tech redneck.

Because in space nobody can hear you holler.

Also, beware of battloids wearing 'John Deere' caps. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

VF-1 Eir Air Ambulance IMU
Parts list:
1 VF-1
1 VF-1 Escape Capsule
1 VF-1 “crane” system used in “Viva Miryia” to lower Dana’s passenger pod*
Additional material as necessary

The VF-1 Eir Valkyrie Air Ambulance IMU was named after the Norse Valkyrie/Goddess associated with medical skill** and was created by the UEDF/Armies of the Southern Cross in 2018 to act as a high speed medical transport to deal with an influx of battlefield injuries in a regional conflict that they had been pulled into. Injuries where much more severe than past conflicts (owing to an influx of MD infantry weapons) and as past experience showed the faster medical attention could be achieved the more likely the patient would survive, and there was really nothing faster available than the VF-1 Valkyrie.

They briefly considered using a non-valkyrie, but with the unit on the way to retirement soon it would provide a surplus of parts for this specific mission as none of the designs on the drawing board had a real chance. Though the only real Veritech Fighter that could even hope to be adapted was the Alpha fighter (in this time frame).

The Eir is a pod enhancement IMU for the VF-1 that is built out of a VF-1 escape capsule. The capsule is stripped down to form the basic shell with a rear access hatch (the canopy remains functional, but is seldom used) that opens via a descending ramp. The interior of the capsule has been made over into a cramped ambulance bay that can support two stretchers (bunk-bed style) usually and a pair of medics situated at the head/foot of the stretcher with an equipment bay (medical supplies and equipment, including radio equipment to communicate with the pilot and a medical facility) located near the nose of the pod. Though this requires passing supplies over the patient. If the injured can be transported sitting up capacity is 3 passengers (no mix/match).

The Eir is mounted to the VF-1 on the centerline station and takes advantage of an existing crane modification design that Miryia Sterling used to transport baby Dana safely on her VF-1J from New Macross City to Breetai’s flagship (“Viva Miryia”). The system can be activated from either the cockpit of the VF-1 or the Eir capsule, it takes about 5 sec to raise or lower the pod.

To facilitate fast turn around times, the Eir is designed to be swappable in the field as easy as the GU-11 is. This allows the Eir’s time to restock any supplies to have a minimal impact on availability. Usually this also means a fresh crew, but the time it takes to have an Eir ready is how long it takes the ground crew to change out a GU-11. Otherwise it could take several minutes to get replacement supplies and do any cleaning the pod’s interior may require.

While the Eir Valkyrie is capable of carrying weapons and full transformation it usually does not. Weapons are usually not carried as the mecha is intended for medical evacuation with speed, as it’s greatest asset. The only weapons it normally carries are the head mounted weapons, the wing stations are typically empty, and the GU-11 is hand carried (which restricts speed unless a wing station is given up).

Transformation is possible, but usually limited to fighter and guardian modes as the occupants of the Eir pod would be in for a roller coaster ride otherwise (not good for the injured). In guardian mode, the pod is centrally mounted to the underside of the mecha (seen in Ep3 with the VF-1D capsule carried by the VF-1S).

The Eir has two sister variants that utilize the basic pod for other missions. The first was also a medical transport that could be used to ferry 4 people on stretchers but would have no access to medics (and no medical equipment bay). This version is less common, as patients that are this stable, are probably well enough to use more traditional medical transport. While it transports more patients, it is still considered the Eir Light because it can’t provide care during transit.

The other was a transport module that was adapted for use by Special Forces for insertion/extraction of troops or re-supply of troops in the field. The bay is roughly 1 meter wide by 1.5meters tall by nearly 4 meters long (G.M’s this is a rough estimate, so if something is slightly bigger at your prerogative you may let it fit). Seating is via fold out benches with a maximum capacity of 350kg. This VF-1 usually will be armed, and will carry the GU-11 on a dorsal station (modified or custom). Battloid may be avoided depending on what it is in the transport module. This is known as the Valkyrie’s Quiver.

The Eir and her variants served throughout the 2020s and into the Invid Occupation it served with distinction. The Invid Occupation though did see many of the medical pods acquired converted over to the transport configuration, though some users did use the medical pods to evacuate injured from the battlefield only to convert them as medical supplies because harder and harder to acquire during the occupation.

Prior to the wide spread introduction of the Beta, during the 2030s a small contingent of Alphas was modified to use the Eir style pods. These units where only created as the UEEF’s flight worthy VF-1 contingent began to dwindle in available numbers. Some of the drawbacks differences in the Eir-Alpha set up included the need to land in VTOL/Guardian mode, the loss of the VTOL capacity in fighter mode, and later the inability to dock with the Beta. Unlike the Valkyrie the Alpha retained all its baseline hardpoints (so could go in with a gunpod). The program was discontinued in the 2040s in favor of a Horizon Shuttle variant.

Notes:
The pod in the show appears to be based on the GU-11, is marked with the Red Cross insignia, but appears too small for a pair of paramedics and passenger, possibly even an adult passenger. The unit lowers the pod from the undercarriage of the G/1/2-G VF-1 to the ground where Max can retrieve the passenger after Miryia activates a control in the cockpit once on board Breetai’s Flagship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eir
taalismn
Priest

Good concept and good name inspiration. Internet for the name. :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

On the Eir Pod, it's really a new take on an old idea I had for an insertion pod (commando) for the Valkyries to carry (TMS/TRM-era). I wanted to put in a 3rd arm to move the pod around, but found it didn't work so well while trying to map it out and so went for the crane system from the show.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Another IMU based on Zino's artwork, the base image has some stuff that is obviously out of scale, but still workable.

Omega Saber Power Armor IMU
Based on Image:
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2 ... 5pibb3.jpg

Parts List:
1 CVR-3 Suit
1 VR-041 Cyclone (no transformation, VR-038 or VR-052 maybe substituted)
2 CADS-1 Blades
4 GR-97 Launchers (alternatively they might adapt the GR-80)
2 EP-37 Beam Cannons (may substitute other power armor portable rifles like the RL-6)
1 HRG-70 in mid 2040s, prior to this 2 EP-40s (or other ASC rifle) in a combined over-under mount
22 High Intensity Lights (flashlight sized)
Additional Avionics to integrate the new hardware together.

The Omega Saber Power Armor was created on Earth during the 2030s with the widespread redistribution of salvaged UEEF Cyclones (VR-041 and VR-038 units, the VR-052 would not be available until the 2040s) to the IMU factories of the Resistance (and a few Invid Sympaths).

The Cyclones where usually sent in once they had lost the ability to transform. Being a variable form mecha, the designers worked on several solutions ranging from cannibalization to an off-board metamorphosis system, few elected to adapt the power armor mode for solo operation. The Omega system was one such approach to adapt the power armor mode.

The typical Omega Saber Power Armor usually works with a salvaged VR-041H Cyclone for the dual GR-103 mini missile launchers. Other Cyclones are also used for parts, and sometimes with GR-103s mixed-in/out depending on parts available. The tires of the unit would usually remain, but they are more for looks than anything (they can be removed).

On top of each of the installed CADS-1 modules where mounted a double stacked row of GR-97s. Sometimes they would trim down GR-80s into a two-tube system. This gives the user a more “effective” melee capacity while increasing the missile capacity by 50%. They are not tied into the GR-103 fire sequence, and aside from the extra capacity fire the same as the GR-97.

For additional firepower the technicians mounted two EP-37 beam rifles to the top of the wheel thrusters. These weapons have been rigged to fire by remote command, and have usually had their handgrips and other “personal” interface features removed (like sight, but-stock, etc). EP-37s are the most common weapon mounted, followed by the RL-6. Use of Southern Cross hardware is more varied, but also done. In any case the weapons are powered by their own respective clips and not off the Cyclone’s power system. The weapons can be fired individually or together.

A final addition for extra firepower involved mounting a pair of over-under “stacked” EP-40s or ASC energy carbines to the right shoulder/ handlebar guard (optionally it can be mounted to the left). This setup required the construction of a custom frame to handle both energy weapons, plus the controls for them. The weapons are designed to fire together in a double blast.

The Cyclone’s avionics had to be updated to handle the additional weapon options and perform fairly well, though can still be a bit buggy. Any of the weapons can take advantage of the built in targeting sight in the right shoulder.

An interesting modification was the installation of numerous high-powered lights to the legs of the Cyclone (leg shields on the upper leg, plus in the “boots” of the CVR-3, all are powered by the Cyclone). The pilot can use these to temporarily blind an Invid during extreme close range combat (melee). The pilot does have to be careful they don’t blind themselves when the lights go off as that has happened on a few occasions.

A few unsuccessful attempts have been tried to change the lights into a weapon station (either energy or projectile), but aiming has proved to be very difficult because of the odd positioning (-3 strike, no other bonuses are applicable). Available space is also a limiting factor, but can be overcome by allowing the weapon to project forward a bit. On occasion pilots have also had the lights painted over to look like missile stations from a distance to give them a more menacing look (if more than ½ are painted over, can not execute a blinding flash). This type of psychological warfare isn’t very effective against the Invid, but against humans it has a much higher chance of success as one can’t be sure if they are dealing with “Quaker Guns” or not unless close up.

A sub variant of the Omega Saber actually does retain the ability to transform, but the pair of cannons on the wheel thrusters cannot be. The only exception is if after transformation to power armor mode the cannons are manually mounted (takes 1 melee each, but a team can put both in at the same time), as they will drop away when it transforms back to motorcycle mode. The handlebar/shoulder cover station remains, and steering is difficult due to the extra weight of the GR-97s (-5% piloting, -1 dodge)
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Holy cow that some awsome write up man Nice one (N1)!!!!!!
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Ok here are some robotech Frankenstein mecha
1. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=0
2. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=2
3. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=3
4. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=3
5. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/UEEF- ... 70650&qo=4
6. http://unspacy.deviantart.com/art/robot ... 70650&qo=5
enjoy
I am not good at witting stuff but well enjoy make I.M.U if you like to do a write up PM which one you like before posting thnak have fun and you can post the hate mail too :)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

This will be the last time you will ever see my type "Franken-Mecha". I hate that term. I hate it to the point where I ignore pretty much each aspect. I didn't even read this forum, which prolly has some good ideas in it. I call them their original comic book term, Stinger. I dont know why Palladium went with such a stupid term in the RPG.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

I too love Stinger but PB change it well as oh well
when you get lemons you make lemonades
Last edited by ZINO on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i generally try to avoid the term 'frakenmecha' as well, but mainly because battletech introduced rules for 'FrakenMechs' several years ago, and i don't want to get the two mixed up.
which is why i use IMU = improvised mecha unit, and "Stinger" or "patchjob" when in character.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

To my understanding, the term Stinger referred explicitly to cobbled together mecha used by Zentraedi Malcontents during the uprising. That is why I don't like apply it as a general term for IMUs, though I will certainly make use of it when referring to IMUs made by Zentraedi.

Terms I like in general terms are:

Chopper
Patcher
Scrapper
Bucket (as in bucket of parts)
Clanker (yes,s tolen from Clone Wars but I imagine that IMUs make a lot of extra noise)
Crab (specifically for mecha upper bodies replacing the turrets of tanks)
Franken-mecha (though as this is long usually I call them Frankers or Frankies for radio chit-chat)
Hillbilly Mecha
Redneck Mecha (or Red-mech)
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

here a I.M.Us drawing from players using after the 4 or 5 years war or after first space war
just the picture
it four arms in the right and two cannons
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2 ... 5qoh86.jpg
here the site http://unspacy.deviantart.com/#/d5qoh86
if you want to do a write up on any I.M.U that not been use already PM
I suck at it so IMHO want to give it a shot got for it :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Two recent IMUs involving the Zentraedi Eldare Booster unit.

VF-1 Dragoon “Alpha” and “Beta” IMU
Parts List:
1 VF-1 (two seater type)
2 VF-1 Legs with working engines (extra, may substitute F-203 or similar engine nacelles)
2 Fighercraft Wings and Tail (no standard)
1 Eldare Booster Unit (no Glaug)
1 Connection system (Glaug/Eldare system, or later VFA-6 & VFB-7/9, or similar, or scratch built)
1 Drone Control System

The VF-1 Dragoon’s origins go back to a 2016 effort to reduce technical risks associated with the VFA-6 program’s field connection system to a (as yet undeveloped) second augmenting craft. This effort utilized a pair of modified VF-1s (A and D models) that had been retrofitted with a Zentraedi connection system taken from the Glaug-Eldare system in a special frame (the VF could still transform, but it would look strange as the frame work was not made to collapse down) that would allow them to connect with two Eldare Booster units (that had been modified to be remote piloted, and with aerodynamic control surfaces for better atmospheric testing).

The results of that effort where successful in that regard and ended with the test articles being put into storage, but the publicly known program also served as inspiration for the Dragoon IMU design that was first constructed in the early 2020s as surplus UEDF VF-1s where beginning to be transferred to “Reserve/State Guards” as newer generation of mecha took over and pushed them out.

One of those State’s Reserve/National Guards had decided that they wanted to shorten the response time (required a faster unit) to their boarder from incursions (by rogue Zentreadi and other heavily armed militas) and give them some space projection capability to support UEDF-ASC space operations in response to the growing problem of space pirates.

With the cancellation of the VFB-X-7 project in 2022 resulting in a major political talking point in the portrayal of the UEEF as wasting resources that could be better spent, the lead designer of this State’s project remembered the VF-1’s role too reduce the technical risk of the program via the use of the Zentraedi Eldare platform (and a cache of such vehicles had recently been secured by them).

While they could have simply copied the test articles approach, they sought to improve up on it to maximize its effectiveness. For the most part the Eldare remained unchanged, but was modified with surplus fighter wings and tail surfaces to improve aerobatic handling and allow for greater weapon carriage. Additional work went into additional aerodynamic shaping to improve performance in the connection area so the modified VF-1 they where going to use fit in like a glove. The unit was also setup to act as a drone, either remote piloted (for combat) or a simple non-combat directive for autonomous actions (holding patterns, landing, or docking). Flying solo the Eldare section is not as aerodynamic as it could be due to the cavity in the nose created by the VF-1.

While the VF-1 could have been simply modified to the test article standard (or close to it for real world application), the connection frame was viewed as “ugly”in the lead designers eyes. He looked for a more aesthetically pleasing version of the frame that was far more functional. Dual hump-back aircraft designs where becoming a common sight (VFA-6, F-109, AHR-15, Carpenter’s Fighter) in the UEDF proper and he sought to replicate this look in the connection frame by constructing it out of two working (surplus) leg assemblies that would be mounted to the back of the VF-1.

This gave the modified VF-1 greater thrust in all modes (+50% all flight speeds regardless of mode, but the Guardian mode begins to shake violently after a 25% increase and has been known to start falling apart if pushed to long at 50%). The extra “legs” also allowed the addition of 2 hardpoints per leg (each equal to a wing station, but require special loading equipment) for greater combat power. These new legs also lack articulation in the knee generally, though a few are known to retain it (flexing over the shoulder in Battloid mode to continue to draw in air) as an experiment.

Most of the VF-1s are of the two seater variety (they traded single seaters for them in some cases), with the pilot controlling the VF-1 systems (and piloting duties when connected) and the second seat handled the drone piloting of the Eldare when separated, but also controlled it’s weapon systems (any wing hardpoint and built in). Single seaters had only allowed the pilot access to the Eldare weapons when connected, and could only send simple commands to the drone (unable to engage in combat).

The mecha can separate and dock easily enough like the Alpha/Beta program. Where they differ substantially is that the VF-1 is limited to fighter mode while connected as a result of using the existing connection scheme from the Eldare (even retrofitting a VFA-6/VFB-9 system results in this). This is partially why the mecha was named Dragoon, after horse-mounted infantry that would dismount to fight.

Connected the combined mecha is actually faster than if it was connected to a Glaug (about x2 as fast given the lighter VF-1). The use of the orbital booster allows for much faster response time.

The State in question was able to retrofit a dozen VF-1s and Eldare units in total (I leave it to the GM if this is an individual or paired count). While they would have liked to have more of these units in their service, parts acquisition was notoriously difficult (Eldare mostly), which might explain the lack of knock-offs until the Invid Occupation. The majority of these fighters where lost as a result of the war with the Robotech Masters and subsequent Invid Invasion.

During the Invid Occupation the design has confirmed sighted, though confirmed loss totals point to the production of NEW units during this time period. The majority of which are solo VF-1 sections of the Dragoon, but some do include the Eldare section using it as an aerodynamic “FAST PACK” for the VF-1.

Zentraedi Gnare Fighter (IMU)
Common Parts List:
1 Eldare Booster Unit (no Glaug)
1 Gnerl Pod (engines not needed)
1 Micronized conversion kit (optional)
2 “micronian” fighter wings and tail (optional)

The Zentraedi Gnare-class IMU Fighter was first sighted in 2015 and built out of a recovered Eldare Booster unit at its core. It appeared that the malcontents using the design lacked a Glaug Officer’s Pod to connect the Eldare to, but in its place mounted a modified Gnerl Fighter Pod. Surprisingly it had also been outfitted with a pair of wings and tail recovered from an F-203 Dragon.

UEDF Intelligence analysts came to the conclusion that the Gnerl used in the IMU build had to have had lost it’s engines, as they could see no reason to scrape a perfectly good fighter to act as a Glaug surrogate for the Eldare.

Intelligence also believes the Zentraedi had to have had human help with the design due to the inclusion of the F-203’s wings and tail surfaces. The wings and tail increased aerobatic handling (1/2 the maneuverability bonuses of the F-203) and offered additional weapon stations.

It wasn’t long after that knock-offs of the Gnare started to appear in the hands of Zentaedi malcontents and even among several independent human states. These knock-offs varied slightly with the wings and tail structures used (examples: VF-1 instead of F-203, sometimes without the control surfaces). Different weapon packages where also used if the Gnerl’s baseline systems could not be restored or maintained, on some rare occasions additional weapons where added.

While not practical for the giants, micronized crew capable versions are known to have used Regults in place of the Gnerl, though in this case a new crew access port had to be installed as the rear hatch was blocked by the Eldare system (no quick procedure could be devised to connect/disconnect, and it was found to be easier to put in a new crew access point).

While the giants could not use the Regult as a replacement for the Glaug, they did find that their Power Armor suits where also acceptable replacements. Though they resulted in a far less aerodynamic body and made landings trickier (pilot’s legs) without additional modifications. These Power Armor versions could also separate and function independently (Eldare’s being equipped with a cockpit for a micronian, though handling was a bit rough).

Most users did not get more than two or three of these units in their inventory at any one time, though one independent human state was able to gather together a full squadron’s worth in the early 2020s. Encounters with the unit are generally rare in the 2010s into the 2020s due to the availability of the Eldare system. During the Invid Occupation the sighting frequency drops even lower.
taalismn
Priest

Whatever you got on hand and plenty of duct tape and solder! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Note the next 17 IMUs I will be posting, they are all IMU re-writes for the 1E “new/prototype” mecha Palladium created for the “Strike Force” and “Return of the Masters” supplements. The vast majority of which can work as IMUs, the ones I skipped/missed come across mostly as from scratch designs rather than IMU.

Some of the units also following the parts list do not turn out exactly as they are drawn in their 1E books, but are a close approximation and can probably be put down to cosmetic body work being done. In a few instances they are different sizes. They are also based on mecha available in the 2E Main RPG (manga), Macross SB, and Masters SB. The one exception is the Guardian VTOL (the basic aircraft frame looks familiar, but I haven’t been able to place it exactly with the closest I could find being the F-5 body with wings from earlier designs) that uses a real world aircraft, which we have no game stats for so one will need to improvise the stats a bit.

With that out of the way onward...

LRV-588 Veritech Car (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 VF-1, missing wings
4 Wheels and other necessary steering parts (may substitute VHT-style lift system)
2 MOLP or Mk-17 or Mk-18 Missile Pods (optional)
1 EP-20 or EU-10/11

Built by a team of Strike Force Security Services IMU engineers in their off time as a “hotrod” jet propelled car to set some new land speed records (it achieved over Mach 1 in trials before the tires gave out), that they later adapted for SFSS as a recon vehicle to give them a capability similar to the Veritech Hover Tank (more the VHT-2 than the VHT-1) as it was deployed.

The team started with a VF-1 and installed wheels and steering system into each leg. The wheels are a bit oversized, but the unit will rest much closer to the ground than it did on its original landing gear (which has been removed). Armored covers for the wheels where also added. The wings and tail surfaces where removed, and the long streamlined nose of the fighter was shortened to be more blunt (still allows transformation).

The changes to the wheels resulted in the mecha sitting too low to the ground to mount traditional GU-11 gunpod or the VF-1’s head in vehicle mode. The techs solved the gunpod issue by modifying one of the arms to have a recess to put a weapon into. This wasn’t large enough for the 55mm GU-11, but was sufficient for the smaller EU-style pods coming into use by the ASC (or gun pods adapted from 30mm or smaller cannons). Early use was with the auto-cannons, but later changed over to energy as ASC weapon pods (or knockoffs) came into their possession.

The Head issue was more difficult to solve as they tried to keep it on the undercarriage. There just wasn’t a way to move the head easily, and without it Battloid mode would blind the pilot.

Initial trials of the unit did use a redesigned and simplified (fewer sensors and no weapons) head that could handle the tight space available to the Veritech Car. This was later changed to adapting a regular head to be stored on top (by adapting the existing battloid position for the head when the cockpit was opened).

For additional fire power two modular weapon stations where added to the top of the vehicle using the FAST-Pack mounting locations. These stations where designed to slide up and over on to the top of shoulders in Battloid mode. Typical weapons carried where either MLOP, MK-17 or MK-18 missile pods, occasionally other weapons where used as needed.

They also experimented with a hovercraft version (LRV-688) that swapped the wheels for salvaged VHT hover engines. A smaller more compact model was developed based on the Logan (LRV-788/798) that sported six wheels (or hoverjets) and a back cover over the engines, though had 3 weapon mounts (2 arms that don’t eject with transformation but can be as they tend to make movements awkward, 1 back) unlike the VF-1.

The Racer version (LRV-188) is pretty similar to the –588 in many design respects. Being built for speed, it did not need to transform (though it could) or carry weapons. The Head was removed (the cockpit was built with a light canopy making Battloid operation possible to a degree). Where the other versions had a groundspeed roughly equal to one-fifth the flight speed at sea level (though seldom used it), the racer has a much higher speed (equal to sea-level flight speed, possibly faster if they could get tires to survive the friction) requiring the installation of a spoiler and a few other features (from Indy Cars) to keep the vehicle from lifting off the ground.

M.A.C. Mini Monster Destroid (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 Monster Destroid
4 HPC-155 Particle Cannon (or Glaug Top HPBC) OR 2 Defender Destroid Arms (M-996)
4 MK-18 or MK-17 Missile Launchers
Parts to modify the existing missile tubes to use SRM

The Mini-Monster IMU Destroid was intended to be Strike Force Security Services heavy mecha unit that they had in small numbers (a few knockoffs exist) that was an attempt to make a faster more agile Monster Destroid to serve as their version of the Tomahawk Destroid. The results of which where less than spectacular, as the resulting weapons selection resulted in more of an oversized Defender with missile capacity than an intermediately between the Tomahawk and the Monster.

All of the Monster’s previous weapon systems have been removed. The lack of the 40cm cannons has greatly reduced the mecha weight allowing it to be more mobile, and allowed the IMU engineers to mount additional armor for increased protection (with plenty of margin for increased speed and mobility when all is said and done) with little loss in mobility or speed.

The 40cm cannons have each been replaced with either a MK-17 or MK-18 box launcher (see Macross Saga Sourcebook). The arms have been trimmed down in size to each sport two HPC-155 Particle Cannons (from the Tomahawk or using the Glaug’s HPBC). In some cases the resized arms contain repackaged Defender M-996 cannons and ammo. The smaller size contributes to a lighter mecha, though there was some discussion about leaving the arms full size and adding in cooling systems (that could double the Rate of Fire) and other features (single barrel M-996, SRMs or mini-missiles, sensors, etc).

Crusader Destroid (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 Spartan Destroid (mostly intact)
1 HPC-155 Particle Cannon (or Glaug Top HPBC)
2 VF-1 Hands
1 Scrap Metal “Shield”
1 Radar Array
2 Light Lasers
1 Holographic System (optional)

Strike Force Security Services as their primary attack ground mecha created the Crusader Destroid IMU in the mid 2010s (and knocked off by a few others). It has a stock infantry model and an active electronic camouflage equipped variant, both can easily be retrofitted for use underwater or in space (though the space modifications have never been used as the company has yet to land a contract that has taken them into space) with appropriate maneuvering system via a kit (think VF-1 FAST-Pack).

The Crusader started with a mostly intact Spartan Destroid frame, and while they could have simply restored the Spartan the company wanted something in between a Spartan and Tomahawk Destroid as far as capabilities go. Most of the alterations where small, like reducing the size of the feet (more VF-1-esque), moving the light lasers turret just below the TZ-IV gun-cluster housing replacing a sensor pod to give the weapons an anti-infantry role, and the swapping of the Spartan’s oversized hands for hands salvaged from a VF-1 Battloid. Initially they planned to mount a sensor mast in place of the top mounted laser turret, but…

The most noticeable alteration was the installation of an HPC-155 Particle Cannon from a Tomahawk (some are known to use the Glaug’s top mounted HPBC) into the right missile pod. This caused some difficulties as the weapon tended to “jiggle” in the housing with sustained firing rates. To counter this their IMU engineers installed a small rectangular shield made out of scarp metal to act as a brace that helped minimize the jiggle (the first 2 shots in 15sec are fine, but after that the weapon needs to be braced or suffer a –3 strike penalty for each consecutive melee of use as it takes a melee to settle in). Engineers eventually solved the jiggle problem, but they kept the shield as the planned sensor mast was moved to the inside of the arm shield (having the “shield” do double duty as a radome). Bracing the HPC-155 with the sensor/shield allows more accurate target cuing (+2 to strike as long as the sensor is operational), but makes the information less reliable for other weapon systems due to the variable positional nature the sensor mast could be in (-1 strike with Missiles unless the arm is in the braced position).

The TZ-IV guncluster was part of the standard package, but was removed to make room for a specially adapted holographic projection system (acquired from simulators) that could “cloak” the Crusader from the front (defined as the direction the TZ-IV guncluster housing would face based on the torso’s position) or create other false images in front (make a second unit appear in front). This required a more beefed up jamming package to create “false” sensor data (the hologram won’t show up on radar for ex), which resulted in the installation of a sensor mast in place of the missing Spartan Laser Turret.

“Civil” Defender Destroid (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
2 TZ-IV Gun Clusters
2 Shock Batons
1 GAU-20A1 .50 Caliber Machine guns
2 GBP-1S Lower Leg Launchers (each is a 4-shot launcher)
2 Tomahawk upper arms (not the weapon section)
1 Tomahawk Destroid Searchlight
1 Phalanx Destroid (no arms, no searchlight array)

Strike Force Security Services’ “Civil” Defender (or simply CD) Destroid IMU was created in the 2010s as a urban combat and policing that the standard Destroids just where not cut out for and when the ASC’s Unicron PA would be out matched.

They started with a Phalanx Destroid and removed the Phalanx Missile Drum arms and top mounted spotlight array. Each arm was replaced with the upper arm of a Tomahawk Destroid utilizing a TZ-IV guncluster as the lower part that had also been modified to carry a Shock Baton giving the destroid a wide range of attack capabilities. For additional fire support the machingun head of a Tomahawk’s was installed and the missile pod brackets on the upper arms where each adapted to hold a lower leg launcher taken from the GBP-1S (and given a new firing hatch). The Tomahawk’s shoulder spotlight was also carried over to assist in guard duty or search and rescue efforts.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Gladius Destroid (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 Tomahawk Head
3 VF-1 Head Lasers
1 VF-1 Battloid (headless, non-transforming)
1 Armored Battloid Suit (GBP-1S, no back-pack boosters and most of the missile launchers are missing)
2 “reinforced” Helicopter blades

The Gladius IMU was a design created by “Strike Force Security Services” (with a few knockoffs in service elsewhere, including UEDF Special Forces Command) during the Malconent Uprisings as a “commando” battloid for infiltration, sabotage, and reconnaissance missions. Numbers are relatively low, but still sees lots of shadow work.

The initial unit started with a recovered VF-1 Battloid in the GBP-1S armor that had been severely damaged. The Head had been blown off, along with the back-pack booster units. Analysis also showed that the majority of the missile launchers needed heavy maintenance to function properly. Essentially being re-purposed Tomahawk/Spartan shoulder missile pods, the GBP-1S’s shoulder pods where easier to fix than the others (while the 1E RPG had specialized missiles, the 2E IMU does not).

The leg missile launchers where removed along with some cosmetic bodywork to the lower GBP-1S assembly to increase mobility (and reduce weight). The Forearm missile launchers cavity was emptied and in its place a pair of retractable sword blades made from reinforced helicopter blades was installed (the blades are still flimsy, and have a 30% chance of breaking with a slashing strike and a 40% chance of breaking with a stabbing strike). The blades would be further modified later after recovery of ASC mecha swords reducing the breakage penalty (down to 10% each).

The chest missile launcher bay was removed and converted for other varying uses. Some would have it reinforced so it could withstand more potent frontal attacks, others would convert it over to a mission storage (think Alpha Cyclone Bay, or Beta Bomb Bay), and finally some would use it as an ammo drum (hand held gunpods would need to be modified to be belt fed or for the head cannon).

SFSS IMU builders did not have any salvaged VF-1 heads in stock and instead installed a Tomahawk style head, complete with machine guns. For a bit of extra fire power they installed a third cannon on the top of the head.

Overall combat maneuverability was close to the Spartan Destroid, with hand to hand capabilities resembling those of the VF-1 in Battloid mode (though augmented by the swords).

UEDF Light Insurgence Power Armor (1E Battloid as 2E Power Armor) IMU
Parts List:
1 Fenris or Manticore Power Armor
1 Triton Head
2 Beam Weapons (non-standard, 7.62mm-12.7mm size based on PA core)

Strike Force Security Services only known power armor build until the Invid Occupation was the Light Insurgence Power Armor they built in the mid 2020s out of recovered Fentis or Manticore ASC Power Armor suits into the Invid Occupation.

As mentioned the LIPA at its core is a Fenris/Manticore Power Armor (which are related designs). The head is adapted from a Triton Power Armor, usually with a little bit of body work, that is mounted with a bit more clearance from the shoulders (so it has a neck). The core unit’s backpack (cooling or space thrusters) is usually removed, the reduced weight allows for slightly faster travel time, along with the extra shoulder covers (that are worked over for a centerline chest piece to add a bit of extra protection there).

SFSS decided to replace the Power Armor’s left arm tools with a beam weapon (usually a pair for what is the right arm, but sometimes both have been replaced). It is also usually issued an RL-1 (or RL-3) with an extended magazine (x3 payload) that makes the weapon only useable by ASC sized Power Armor units (Cyclones can, but are –1 strike, as a man-portable system it requires a tripod to aim accurately without which one is –5 strike).

T-99 Surgut Battloid (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 VF-1 Battloid (non-transforming, typically A)
4 MK-17 Missile Launcher Pods (or MLOP type)
1 Gsh-30-4A1 Autocannon (or auto-cannon from VF-1R) optional

The T-99 Surgut Battloid is a common independent rebuild of recovered VF-1s in Battloid mode (typically the A model). Most of the units can’t transform anymore, and so are given a more boxy appearance with remodeling to minimize friendly fire incidents against UEDF VF-1s, which has allowed them to more easily mount modified MK-17 SRM box missile launchers over the frame (at times produced by modifying MLOP pods).

The MK-17 box missile launcher is usually chopped up to provide 3 paired box launchers, which are then installed on various parts of the Battloid frame. One on each leg, forearm, upper arm, shoulder, and chest (the last concealed by remodeling in to appear as a triangular box), with the extra MK-17 pairs used for spare parts (for this unit or on other platforms). The MLOP conversion provides two reloads to each station, but it also reduces the effective strike range though is offset by a slight increase in overall firepower.

Aggressor Assault VTOL (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 Alpha (relatively intact)
1 MiM-31 Gun Assembly
2 Wing Tip Rail Stations
2 Wing Hard Points

The Aggressor Assault VTOL is a late Invid Occupation mecha created by Strike Force Security Services out of Alpha fighter remains combined with the MiM-31 Gun assembly. Owing to the difficult time with Veritech mecha, SFSS decided to rebuild the Alpha’s as non-transformable in their half-guardian state.

They have removed the MM-60 on the lower legs, preferring to supplement the Alpha’s firepower with four wing stations, two wing tip rail stations and two under-wing hardpoints. The missing MM-60 stations allow for a clean look for the legs (as found on the VF-1 and Logan), and was also done because the MM-60 stations caused issues with the more versatile hardpoints they installed. A small number of Aggressors do have the full MM-60 system, but lack the wing stations.

The Alpha’s head and VTOL system where removed to make way for the installation of a Gsh-30-4A1 30mm Auto cannon assembly recovered from a downed MiM-31 Karyovin to replace the existing gunpod to conserve protoculture. The weapon doesn’t hit as hard (per round), but offers the same range and a greater payload.

Guardian VTOL (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
3 GU-11 Gunpods
1 VF-1 (or Spartan Destroid) Arm
2 VF-1 Legs
2 additional conventional engines sized to fit the VF-1 legs (optional)
4 SLMH engines (optional; usually ASC)
4 PC engines (optional; not until Invid Occupation)
2 High powered Lasers (VF-1 Head Lasers or taken from TZ-IV gunclusters)
1 F-5 family of Fighter (sorry no official game stats available to my knowledge)

The Guardian VTOL is an early vehicle/robot hybrid IMU built by Strike Force Security Services that utilized salvaged members of F-5 fighter family from the previous century as the core platform in the build. The fighters being restored had to be serviced for continued use as many where suffering from fatigue, this servicing took advantage of materials advances and alterations to the airframe to mainly integrate salvaged mecha systems.

The nose section was remodeled to reduce the overall length of the plane by a 1/3rd. The nose guns where sometimes upgraded with high power lasers (they are charged by an external source and not the conventional engines). The addition of the legs and advanced avionics allowed the deletion of the vertical tail (though some still use it)

The decision to install salvaged lower legs of the VF-1 was a major undertaking in several respects. The legs have limited mobility (can move in one axis only) in the new housing. They are generally have had their engines replaced with conventional engines. In both cases this requires them to tap into the existing air intake system. This resulted in reduced airflow to both engines and required the intakes to be enlarged. Engines where primarily conventional turbofan engines until the 2020s when salvaged SLMH engines started to become more commonly available. During the Invid Occupation one would see PC engines take over. It was rare to see engine types mixed.

The wing-tip rail stations where modified to support a GU-11 gunpod. To give the IMU more mobility in where it could go, resulting in the wingspan being reduced. This eliminated two of the four wing hardpoints on the F-5.

The Centerline hardpoint was given over to a salvaged VF-1 arm (sometimes a Spartan Destroid) to use a third GU-11. Originally the hardpoint was to have been equipped with a GU-11, but was changed to give the unit more flexibility in the field as it was expected to go and do things the VF-1 could in Guardian mode.

Micronian Power Armor (1E as 2E) IMU
Parts List:
1 CHR-1 UEDF Body Armor (if CVR-3 is not fully functional)
1 CVR-3 set of Cyclone necessary parts (connectors, built in cyclone actuators) minimum
1 Cyclone in Battloid Mode (VR-038, VR-041, or VR-052)
1 Beam Weapon
1 Custom Built Assembly Frame

Built by Strike Force Security Services IMU engineers during the Invid Occupation the Micronian Power Armor is essentially a rebuilt non-transforming Cyclone in its Armor mode (Battloid). All three of the main cyclone variants saw MPA conversion by SFSS and are all fundamentally similar.

These talented IMU engineers found it difficult to restore Cyclones reliably from cobbled together CVR-3 and Cyclones. They could handle restoration of the Cyclone in either mode pretty well, but they had difficulty with the transformation system (aside from the LRV-588 family, Veritechs where not something they usually worked on) and the finicky nature of the CVR-3 requirement.

The engineers chose to simply restore the Cyclone into a non-transformable power armor suit (much smaller than the ASC suits). They found they could break the Cyclone down into four main components (two forearms, a front torso piece, and a rear torso piece that finished off the legs and arms) that could be manually assembled into the Power Armor. This would require a custom-built assembly frame to mount and dismount the armor, but that was relatively simply.

The Cyclones tended to be armed with GR-97s on the forearm station, and the VR-038/052 would also have a shoulder cannon installed (as the VR-041H had missile launchers) that was basically a modified energy rifle that was usually what ever they had on hand (typically ASC). Pilot could still use the normal hand-held weapons a Cyclone could, and the GR-97s could be exchanged for other Cyclone weapon packages if need be (and sometimes was the result of availability).

The only other noticeable change to the Cyclone itself was the removal of the tires on the back. Some additional bodywork was also done.

The most noticeable change was the adaptation of old UEDF CHR-1 body armor in place of the CVR-3 when full suits of CVR-3 could not be reconstructed. These suits had to be modified to include recovered CVR-3 cyclone actuators and connectors, but this was much easier to do than to modify the newer ornate ASC suits for the same job.

To suit up the pilot must first done the modified CHR-1 suits (or be wearing CVR-3) and step into the assembly frame and assume the proper position. At which point a second person will need to trigger the frame to attach the Cyclone parts. The frame is fairly portable, and can be put inside a van (ex. The Cola truck used in NG for the PC heist) with parts for 1 cyclone. Frames are not unique so it can be used on more than one MPA, but it can only suit up one at a time and requires reloading of parts (some users have altered the frame to have an “assembly line” storage bin behind it to allow multiple rapid suitups.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”