Paladin Steel Storefront

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Paladin Steel Storefront

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

89er wrote:Well that just gave me hope for the Megaverse after the minion war.

Besides, a piece of fiction detailing some of the uplifted civilizations being informed of Hoyt's crimes and future for their people. Much crossover speculation and stories could happen, after all, Hoyt did visit multiple timeline of numerous universes we humans regard today as fiction. Could it also be that fanfiction/fanon is also a multiverse in itself? Despite Interdee's safeguard and warnings, Hoyt did his homework and did roughly equal good and harm.
Fandom organizations could stand out such as Bronies Allied Across the Megaverse. (B.A.A.M.)

Something to think about...

don't forget fictional settings that already have their own interdimensional abilities. the Tenchi Muyo/Dual parallel trouble meta-dimensions for example. or Organization XIII from the Kingdom Hearts/Disney/Final Fantasy meta-dimensions. (KHwiki page here)

taalismn wrote:Well, Heinlein in The Number of the Beast speculated that the more material about a given fictional world established it more likely as an alternate universe, either because it meant more cross-dimesnional 'leakage' into peoples' sub-conscious, or the other way around; peoples' imagination breathed life into the world(refer also to The Neverending Story as a more precarious balance of belief affecting reality).

i'd seen people mention heinlein wrote something like that, but could never find a source. is that book something i ought to try to get a copy of, or is that particular idea the main thing anyone reads it for. (as much as i like heinlein's stuff, his quality was all over the map..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Veritas476
Adventurer

Unread post by Veritas476 »

taalismn wrote:Hey, SOMEBODY's got to mount the F-14 on the Saturn V booster(or its equivalent), and 'flying guns' are the rage. The CCW and the TGE gotta have somebody they're envious of, or eager to court the good graces of, and there's always Dominators, Invaders and the Minion War to consider.
Besides, if something's TOO insane, remember there are nations like Bakalapona that will buy from you, because they figure you're their kind of crazy. :clown:

Well I'd rather my material was as widely accepted as your creations seems to be. :-( So that means I need to keep adjusting them until more people are happy with them.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Veritas476 wrote:
taalismn wrote:Hey, SOMEBODY's got to mount the F-14 on the Saturn V booster(or its equivalent), and 'flying guns' are the rage. The CCW and the TGE gotta have somebody they're envious of, or eager to court the good graces of, and there's always Dominators, Invaders and the Minion War to consider.
Besides, if something's TOO insane, remember there are nations like Bakalapona that will buy from you, because they figure you're their kind of crazy. :clown:

Well I'd rather my material was as widely accepted as your creations seems to be. :-( So that means I need to keep adjusting them until more people are happy with them.

Try just being well-adjusted in your normal life(I ain't)*, and happy with what you do. The rest takes care of itself. ;)

*It also helps to be a humongous poster, though I'm sure I've picked up my share of Foes along the way...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Well adjusted... what's that? :P

Anyway I'll try not to take up any more of your thread with this train of thought.
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:[
i'd seen people mention heinlein wrote something like that, but could never find a source. is that book something i ought to try to get a copy of, or is that particular idea the main thing anyone reads it for. (as much as i like heinlein's stuff, his quality was all over the map..)

Try finding a copy in a public library first, just to save money and see if you like it, then decide if you want it as part of your permanent collection. Multiverse fans should have a copy, if only for comparison purposes. The Number of the Beast is probably the best of his 'multiverse' series because it was the first; the book where he tries drawing together his earlier works, including his juvenile(that is, his books aimed at teenage readers) sci-fi stories, the Past Through Tomorrow short stories, the Lazarus Long stories, longer works like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and various homages to older writers(like The Wizard of Oz), Edgar Rice Burroughs(right off the bat, references to Barsoom feature in the characters' lives) and E.E. Smith(especially the Lensmen series). It helps if you've read of those, because you can appreciate the references.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel/Ghanam Arms LTD ‘Smackdown’ TW Pistol
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/TWSmackdownRuger_LCR_22LRcopy.jpg

“Word of advice; practice, practice, practice speed-drawing with the Smackdown and get the feel for what you’ve got chambered so you’re shooting what you want when you want it. With eight selections, a novice can get confused real easily and freeze up trying to decide the best choice to use, which can be fatal in a gunfight. I’ve heard horror stories of shooters just planning on knocking somebody out and instead setting them on fire, or blasting a hole through a city block. Putting down the big bucks on a Smackdown doesn’t mean you bought a weapon that does the thinking for you; you gotta bring money AND skill to the table if you’re planning on getting your money’s worth.”

:badbad: “GET’EM! HANG’UM HIGH!”
#FFFFWWHHHOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHTTTTT#
:shock: “RUN! RUN AWAY!!!”
8) “Wow, the flamethrower mode on this thing sure is effective in close quarters.”
8-) “Nice. You set the trucks in the street on fire too. Let’s make the most of it and SCRAM!”

“Cute. Very cute. Very professional. Quit posing the sleeping beauties and let’s get the Ambassador out of here before his ‘bodyguards’ wake up.”

The ‘Smackdown’ is based externally on the Ruger LCR-22 eight-shot ‘snubbie’ revolver, but has the sophisticated mystech one would expect from technowizardry gun crafter Ghanam Arms Ltd. packed into its small frame. This ultra-compact crystal-cylinder weapon offers shooters already familar with GALtd’s multi-mode magic revolvers an even larger number of options for putting down opponents. The ‘Smackdown’ is intended as an easily concealed self-defense measure, but the TW pistol is already finding interest from law enforcement and commando groups.
The ‘Smackdown’ is formatted with generally low-level common domain spells, with the exception of an Air Elemental spell. The spell range allows for a range of defensive options; Cloud of Slumber allows large numbers of targets to be rendered unconscious safely and efficiently, the ever-versatile Carpet of Adhesion stops pursuers(or fleeing suspects) and vehicles in their tracks, Slam provides a most definite kinetic smackdown at close range, and Flamethrower provides a two-mode attack that can be both psychologically terrifying at close range, and effective against a range of heat-vulnerable opponents. Both Orb of Cold and Starburst do respectable damage, while also inflicting temporarily crippling/distracting effects on victims. At the upper end of the damage scale, Throwing Stones provides a good compromise between kinetic force, range, and mystic accuracy(and can mislead opponents as to the nature of the attack when they are pelted with what are essentially high-velocity bricks), and Laser Blast gives the ‘snubbie’ a range more befitting larger energy pistols and rifles.
The ‘Smackdown’ is powered by a smaller, cut-down, GALtd. Regenerator Crystal. This provides fewer overall shots, but keeps both the price and the size of the weapon down.
The downsides of this weapon are the generally short range, lower number of shots, and the high cost, but this hasn’t stopped the weapon from recieving plenty of pre-orders from corporate officers, police, and special operatives looking for a compact and easily concealable weapon with multi-mode versatility.

Weight: 2 lbs
MDC: 28
Range:
-(Cloud of Slumber) 90 ft
-(Slam)75 ft
-(Carpet of Adhesion)150 ft
-(Flamethrower) 50 ft
-(Orb of Cold) 200 ft
-(Starburst) 150 ft
-(Throwing Stones) 700 ft
-(Laser Blast) 1,000 ft
Damage:
-(Cloud of Slumber)Blankets a 20x20x20 ft area in a mystic sleep vapor; victims must save versus magic or fall asleep for 5 minutes.
-(Slam)1d6x10 SDC + 1d4 SDC through MDC body armor, and must roll with impact or be knocked down(lose initiative and 2 APMs getting back up). Power armors, man-sized robots, and beings with a supernatural P.S. of 23 or less don’t take damage, but roll versus knockdown. Heavy power armor(220 MDC or more), giant robots, and supernatural creatures with a P.S. of 24 or higher are NOT affected by this spell.
-(Carpet of Adhesion) Covers a 10x20 ft area in mystic adhesive. Save versus magic or be stuck for the entire duration( 50 melees). A successful save means the target can pull loose in 2d6 melees.
-(Flamethrower ) Two modes: 1d6x10 SDC or 2d4 MD
-(Orb of Cold) Fires balls of superhard ice; +1 to strike, 3d6 MD, plus victims must save versus magic or suffer debilitating numbness; -1 APM, -2 initiative, -1 strike/parry/dodge, and speed is reduced by 10%. Effects last 1d4 minutes, and are NOT cumulative.
-(Starburst) 3d6 MD + temporary blindness; unless eyes are shielded, victims are temporarily blinded(-10 to strike, parry, dodge, and other combat moves) for 1 melee round, + 7 seconds per additional Starburst fired at them in the same melee round. Targets are -2 to dodge. Vampires suffer an additional 1d6 damage and are blinded twice as long.
-(Throwing Stones)Fires softball-sized rocks; 1d6+5 MD, +2 strike
-(Laser Blast) Magic laser: 1d6+10 MD
Rate of Fire: Single shot, ECHH
Payload:
-(Cloud of Slumber)4 PPE per shot
-(Slam) 3 PPE per shot
-(Carpet of Adhesion)5 PPE per shot
-(Flamethrower)1 PPE per SD flame blast, 3 PPE per MD flame blast
-(Orb of Cold) 3 PPE per shot
-(Starburst) 6 PPE per shot
-(Throwing Stones)3 PPE per shot
-(Laser Blast) 3
PPE Capacity:(Light)----75 PPE battery capacity; recharges at 5 PPE per hour, 10 PPE/hour at a leyline, 20 PPE/hour on a nexus or in a dimensional pyramid
Note: The user can pump his or her own PPE or ISP into the weapon to recharge it an emergency, but at DOUBLE the above listed PPE cost(x4 if ISP; so 10 PPE battery shot takes 20 PPE/40 ISP to manually recharge)
Special Features:
-Compact Size(only 6.5 inches long)
Cost: 500,000 credits(should go for nearly twice that, but PS’s evolving expertise with TW mass production is bringing the price down considerably)
Options:
*Mystic Markmanship(3 PPE for a single shot)---Gives a +3 to an aimed or called shot. Cost: 9,000 credits (A popular option with collectors who want to get the most out of their expensive acquisition, even if they are not themselves good shots)

*Safety Bonding---This insures that the weapon can ONLY be used by specific people. Using a ritual performed in-shop which requires all the people to be trusted with the weapon be present to contribute a single drop of blood that is pressed into the grip in the ritual, the weapon is effectively ‘safetied; and will fire ONLY for those people.
(GALtd doesn’t advertise it, but the system isn’t ENTIRELY foolproof; there’s a 25% chance that people with a close genetic/magical similarity to the bonded people---immediate children, siblings, doppelgangers, or clones---can also use the weapon. )
Cost: 30,000 credits per person bonded to the weapon. Up to four people can be ‘impressed’ on the weapon.

*Sense Evil---The PPE crystal can flash red if supernatural evil entities approach within a 90 ft radius. Cost: 10,000 credits

*Sense Magic---The PPE crystal can flash yellow if active magic occurs within 120 ft of the weapon. Cost: 10,000 credits

*PPE Clip Adapter----Developed to address the shortcoming of the Regenerator-series in that once the PPE reservoir is exhausted, the weapon is essentially useless until the crystal recharges or a mage or psychic pumps in their own PPE/ISP. This handy device clips to the cylinder, saddle-stye, and allows the weapon to draw from an attached PS- or allied-manufacture PPE clip. Note that the Regenerator cannot RECHARGE an attached empty PPE clip; the power draw is strictly one-way. Yes, this device can be fitted to other Ghanam Arms weapons as well. Cost: 3,000 credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Did you have a (super)storm last Halloween?

So you are stocking up on candy, can goods, blank notebooks and writing stuff, batteries, and what else?
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

What is the Alliance's relationship with Interdee? Due to the sudden uplift and destruction of dozens of civilizations, how will Interdee manage these new upstarts when they start asking about the man who aided or destroyed them? How will PS/GNE and the Shemar deal with the influx of now dimension travelling species? Will they need to call upon Hoyt to help settle things down, or had Hoyt planned this all along?

Side note: Be safe, we need that head of yours. If not, Hoyt can just digitize you or stick your brain in a life support jar.
taalismn
Priest

89er wrote:What is the Alliance's relationship with Interdee? Due to the sudden uplift and destruction of dozens of civilizations, how will Interdee manage these new upstarts when they start asking about the man who aided or destroyed them? How will PS/GNE and the Shemar deal with the influx of now dimension travelling species? Will they need to call upon Hoyt to help settle things down, or had Hoyt planned this all along?

Side note: Be safe, we need that head of yours. If not, Hoyt can just digitize you or stick your brain in a life support jar.

You mean Interdim? Hate to say to it; Hoyt's a minor blip compared to certain other entities like Ataru Moroboshi, and whoever keeps throwing pieces of real estate across time/space just for $#!+s and giggles. And AS a dimension-traveling species/organization, PS/GNE looks to tighten its safety protocols for imports/exports, recruit new help to expand its database and employee pool, and open up new markets. PS has had 'rogue' employees as well; there was the whole 'Odessa Brigade' incident where a PS executive was basically recruiting and arming her own poltical activist army, so they're handling the Hoyt incident with kid gloves(and handing out lots of discount cards for goods and services to affected parties, or, taking a cue from Neil Stephenson's 'Snowcrash', actually RECRUITING disaffected parties, after which many of them become aggressive PS employees in their own right).

And yes, Abtex, we're watching 'Sandy' closely....As luck would have it, I'm working BOTH days (odd shifts) so my 'curse' is back(weather is either SPLENDID or $#!+, I'm working all day). Fortunately, New England utilities spend most of the summer cutting down trees and running practice drills, so we're about as ready as we can be, albeit with leaves still on the trees(a matter of considerable concern).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Thanks to Godogma for getting me thinking about wrist-mounted TW devices.

Paladin Steel/Ghanam Arms Limited ‘Hextus’ TW Combat Gauntlet
(aka “ Shove Glove”, “Push-Gaunt”)

(“Come no closer, go no further, do not cross the line. These grounds I defend, these people I protect. My hand I raise to you in deterrence. Though my body be flesh and blood, my will is steel and my weapons forged of death. YOUR death if you do not step back and away.”)
---GNE Marine Sergeant Chi’dow Retzic, addressing an intruder on the grounds of the GNE Diplomatic Mission, Deinar.

“I don’t know if I should be apalled at the impending diplomatic incident this represents or amused at the sight of two of our Chi’Chuk Marine guards batting one of the much taller local ‘warrior caste’ like a volleyball around the Embassy grounds for a good five minutes. I suspect I shall compose a suitably subtle gloating note to my opposite number when we turn the intruders over to their authorities on how well their ‘hero class’ bounces.”
----Ambassador Chian’dar Vayan, Greater New England Diplomatic Corps.

The ‘Hextus’ is a GALtd. ‘Regenerator’ system built into an armored gauntlet , as an extension of PS’s experiments with vambrace- and bracelet-style TW Multiplexor systems. Similar in configuration to those systems, the Hextus Gauntlet uses a PPE power source(in this case one of GALtd’s PPE Power Crystals in place of a PPE Amulet or PPE-clip) powering a number of embedded spells. Compared to the smaller multiplexor systems, the Hextus is much more expensive and less versatile, using hardwired spells rather than a swappable Spellcard, but the regenerating PPE crystal gives almost unlimited uses.
The Hextus, as sold, is configured with six spells, primarily defensive or melee combat booster spells. Crushing Fist provides both enhanced melee combat abilities(including the ability to deliver megadamage punches) and ranged attacks, Choking Cloud can deliver a distracting smokescreen- or tear gas-like area of effect, and Slam gives a very hard-felt kinetic ‘push’ to those who attempt to crowd the wearer, while Energy Field, Blast Shield, and Deflect provide point defense capabilities. The Hextus uses a disc-shaped ‘light’ power crystal mounted on the backside, although it can also take slotted PPE clips. The gauntlet itself is made of lightweight megadamage alloys over a plastic and leather liner glove and articulated for maximum freedom of motion of the hand wearing it, although it is still fairly clumsy to use(-10% to perform delicate procedures while wearing them). The Hextus can be retrofitted to existing sets of body armor. Used by a skilled hand to hand combatant, the Hextus can add considerably to both defensive and offensive capabilities.
Since its introduction, the Hextus has caught on with high-end security agencies and body guards. The most notably visible users of the Hextus in PS/GNE are the GNE Marine Corps’ embassy security contingents.
Weight: 1.3 lbs
MDC: 15
Range:
-(Crushing Fist) Melee or 250 ft.
-(Choking Blast & Dust Cloud) 100 ft
-(Slam)75 ft
-(Energy Field) 8 ft radius
-(Blast Shield) 10 ft radius
-(Deflect) Melee
Damage:
-(Crushing Fist)Two modes: can either empower the fist to do 2d6 MD with a punch(+ any additional damage if already able to do MD punches), and is +2 to strike. Or can perform a ranged attack that does 2d6 MD, +1 to strike.
-(Choking Blast & Dust Cloud) Raises a cloud of dust and grit 30x30x30 ft, Those without eye and respiratory protection will be -10 to all combat moves, lose initiative and 1 APM, and are unable to speak in the thick, choking, irritating airborne silt(double penalties for those with advanced senses such acute smell, sight, or hearing as the dust gets in where it shouldn’t). Those with environmental protection will find visibility drops to 1d8 ft, and will be -2 on initiative and -2 to combat moves. Radar, thermal imaging, and motion detection systems are similarly knocked out for the duration.
-(Slam)1d6x10 SDC + 1d4 SDC through MDC body armor, and must roll with impact or be knocked down(lose initiative and 2 APMs getting back up). Power armors, man-sized robots, and beings with a supernatural P.S. of 23 or less don’t take damage, but roll versus knockdown. Heavy power armor(220 MDC or more), giant robots, and supernatural creatures with a P.S. of 24 or higher are NOT affected by this spell.
-(Energy Field) Produces an omnidirectional forcefield 8 ft wide with 60 MDC(double on a leyline, triple on a nexus)
-(Blast Shield) Protects against all blasts and concussive strikes
-(Deflect) Roll to parry and deflect incoming ranged attacks, including magic. If successful, the attack is deflected 1d4x10 yards away. Note that there is a danger of the deflected attack being accidentally directed into a nearby ally(roll of 1-4)or bystander(5-8) if the attack does more than 1d4x10 MD, and the bystanders are within range.
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload:
-(Crushing Fist) 6 PPE for 5 minutes
-(Choking Blast & Dust Cloud)8 PPE for 10 melees
-(Slam) 3 PPE per shot
-(Energy Field) 5 PPE for 5 minutes
-(Blast Shield) 9 PPE for 5 melees
-(Deflect) 5 PPE for 5 deflections
PPE Capacity:(Light)----75 PPE battery capacity; recharges at 5 PPE per hour, 10 PPE/hour at a leyline, 20 PPE/hour on a nexus or in a dimensional pyramid
Note: The user can pump his or her own PPE or ISP into the weapon to recharge it an emergency, but at DOUBLE the above listed PPE cost(x4 if ISP; so 10 PPE battery shot takes 20 PPE/40 ISP to manually recharge)
Special Features:
*PPE Clip Adaptor---For those times when you can’t wait for the Regenerator Crystal to recharge itself. A slot in the cuff of the gauntlet can accommodate any PS- or allied-make PPE clip.

*Starglow---The PPE disc normally emits a low-level glow, but it can be increased to glow with a Globe of Daylight spell, illuminating an 84 ft area around it, for 21 minutes per single PPE.

*Lantern Light(1 PPE and lasts 4 hours)---Fills a ten foot area with soft illumination, but CANNOT drive off vampires or other sunlight-sensitive beings.

*Blinding Flash(1 PPE standard)----60 ft range, 10 ft radius. The crystal can be used offensively to deliver a blinding flash of light that leaves victims dazed; save versus magic or be -10 to strike, parry, and dodge, with a 50% chance of falling for every 10 ft of distance they attempt to move. Effects last 1d4 melees

Cost: 400,000 credits(would normally cost 635,000 credits, but mass production has cut down the cost)

Options:
*Knuckle Spikes---Identical to the cybernetic/bionic option: +1d6 to a punch. Cost: 1,200 credits, 600 credits for silver plated, and 2,000 credits for retractable.

*Neural Stinger---Another adaptation from cybernetic options. Works just like a Neural Mace when used to punch somebody. Cost: 35,000 credits. Requires an E-clip(good for 8 zaps).

*Safety Bonding---This insures that the weapon can ONLY be used by specific people. Using a ritual performed in-shop which requires all the people to be trusted with the weapon be present to contribute a single drop of blood that is pressed into the grip in the ritual, the weapon is effectively ‘safetied’ and will fire ONLY for those people.
(GALtd doesn’t advertise it, but the system isn’t ENTIRELY foolproof; there’s a 25% chance that people with a close genetic/magical similarity to the bonded people---immediate children, siblings, dopplegangers, or clones---can also use the weapon. )
Cost: 30,000 credits per person bonded to the weapon. Up to four people can be ‘impressed’ on the weapon.

*Sense Evil---The PPE crystal can flash red if supernatural evil entities approach within a 90 ft radius. Cost: 10,000 credits

*Sense Magic---The PPE crystal can flash yellow if active magic occurs within 120 ft of the weapon. Cost: 10,000 credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Dang, Interdim is bigger than I thought. Considering Hoyt mostly focused on timelines with equal events and what ifs, it can be said he is minor compared to entities who crush galaxies for fun. Hoyt had a purpose and a plan, both horrifying but could have been far worse. He is filled with remorse, some of which happened on his mission, and he will do whatever it takes to aid people he wronged. Deep down, Hoyt believes death dosen't want him, and he may be damned to live, spreading hope and horror in his wake. No wonder he envies his vat pets, he wants to be cuddled and loved but fears rejection for his mind and past.

On another note, nice TW device and keep safe during the storm.
taalismn
Priest

89er wrote:Dang, Interdim is bigger than I thought. Considering Hoyt mostly focused on timelines with equal events and what ifs, it can be said he is minor compared to entities who crush galaxies for fun. Hoyt had a purpose and a plan, both horrifying but could have been far worse. He is filled with remorse, some of which happened on his mission, and he will do whatever it takes to aid people he wronged. Deep down, Hoyt believes death dosen't want him, and he may be damned to live, spreading hope and horror in his wake. No wonder he envies his vat pets, he wants to be cuddled and loved but fears rejection for his mind and past.

On another note, nice TW device and keep safe during the storm.

Yeah, Interdim IS big...not even its employees know how big...the regular run couriers don't realize that the agency has a history going back hundreds of thousands of years, and if it now looks all shiny, new, and human-run, that's only because in recent eras(like, say the last ten-twenty thousand years, humans are the latest in a succession of cultures that have acquired interdimensional travel and are filling niches in the Megaverse.
Interdim watches Rifts Earth worldlines carefully...the event line is like a fountain, only with each water droplet a potential new worldline...it both mucks up interdimensional travel and opens up new possibilities, and the cross-fertilization of ideas on Rifts Earth is of potentially incredible profit to those who know how to exploit it. PS DOES have some small business with Interdim and a modest corporate account with them, but doesn't use it much because they still are new to the dimensional arena and don't know who to trust yet; they're still relying on their own clumsy but secure communications network.

Exactly as you state, Hoyt's filed by them as a manic-depressive tragic mad genius with issues(my best analogy would be non-megalomaniac Doctor Freeze from Batman or Bruce Banner from The Hulk). He wouldn't warrant direct action on their part unless he went around dropping xenomorphs in populated cities, virally wiping out people's sentient brain functions on a global scale, or other acts of cross-dimensional genocide(or course, if he did that, PS would be mounting its own executive action kill-orders with what anti-matter they could scrape together).

And yeah, we're battening the hatches and keeping our fingers crossed.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Makes a note to get in touch with Elder EverKnight, or another Century Walker, to see if a reasonably complete dossier on Paladin Steel and its dealings can be had.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:Makes a note to get in touch with Elder EverKnight, or another Century Walker, to see if a reasonably complete dossier on Paladin Steel and its dealings can be had.

How about an UNreasonably complete dossier on Paladin Steel and its dealings?

:shock: "Okay, I REALLY didn't need to know THAT. And just how the hell did you find that out anyway?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Well that would work too. :D :twisted:
taalismn
Priest

"What's with this guy's black eye?"
"Caught him in a crawlspace behind the women's lockerroom with a surveillance rig."
"I swear I'm on legitimate corporate espionage!" :shock:
"Yeah, yeah, right."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

I have a couple ideas for some things and I was wondering if Paladin Steel has something comparable. Does PS have any lines of power armor or are all of them considered one line due to the modular aspect that is a part of the designs?

I ask because I've made the Checkmate Power Armor in to a production line with the first design you've see being called Pawn. So the current and planned line is as follows:

Checkmate Series Power Armor
WI-CP426 "Pawn" Power Armor
WI-CS476 "Bishop" SAMAS
WI-CGB2 "Rook" Glitter Boy

All designs in the Checkmate line are somewhat modular, and can adapt to fulfill a variety of mission roles.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:I have a couple ideas for some things and I was wondering if Paladin Steel has something comparable. Does PS have any lines of power armor or are all of them considered one line due to the modular aspect that is a part of the designs?

I ask because I've made the Checkmate Power Armor in to a production line with the first design you've see being called Pawn. So the current and planned line is as follows:

Checkmate Series Power Armor
WI-CP426 "Pawn" Power Armor
WI-CS476 "Bishop" SAMAS
WI-CGB2 "Rook" Glitter Boy

All designs in the Checkmate line are somewhat modular, and can adapt to fulfill a variety of mission roles.

Seevral lines actually...
The PSA-11 'family' is a general design, while the PSA-10 is based on the CS's SAMAS. There's several lighter designs akin to the Triax Hopper, another on NEMA hardware and several wholly new chassises also in production. While many share cross-line parts and options compatibility, they're considered separate production lines.

I wouldn't worry about treading on ground already covered' plenty of cooperative companies field designs in the same egenral market niches(especially when it comes to SUVs and sportscars), so field your new designs! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

I was going to field them regardless. The art I found to use for the SAMAS and Glitter Boy designs are what spurred the idea to make the Checkmate Series a "family" line. I was simply wondering if PS had a similar thing going. Thank you for the answer.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:I was going to field them regardless. The art I found to use for the SAMAS and Glitter Boy designs are what spurred the idea to make the Checkmate Series a "family" line. I was simply wondering if PS had a similar thing going. Thank you for the answer.

Grand...Looking forward to seeing them.
Family mecha....and you thought the Addams were bad enough. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:
Veritas476 wrote:I was going to field them regardless. The art I found to use for the SAMAS and Glitter Boy designs are what spurred the idea to make the Checkmate Series a "family" line. I was simply wondering if PS had a similar thing going. Thank you for the answer.

Grand...Looking forward to seeing them.
Family mecha....and you thought the Addams were bad enough. :wink:

Waiting to see you Checkmate "family" line as well.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Veritas476
Adventurer

The WI-CP426 "Pawn" is already available for viewing in my netbook. You can get it through the link in my signature.
taalismn
Priest

Battening down hatches...looks like the next two days are going to be ones to sit and read or just sleep(if the power's out).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Godogma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Godogma »

taalismn wrote:Battening down hatches...looks like the next two days are going to be ones to sit and read or just sleep(if the power's out).

What's happening in your neck of the woods? Best of luck if bad weather is rolling in.
It's clear that your mind is made up, and pesky things like facts are not going to educate you. Perhaps it is your mindset that is immune to transformation by any means? - The_Livewire
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

See, well read you later. Enjoy the time if possible.

taalismn
Priest

Great, just frackin' great.....I survive the 'Storm of the Century without so much as a fallen tree limb in my yard.. Coastal regions got hit hard; a lot of people who were still rebuilding from Irene LAST October are now just writing off their beachfront properties. New York got it WAY worse than we did, in spite of what had to be around the clock, four-day non-stop preparedness(not counting the last year of utility tree cutting and practice drills).
And I get battleaxed with a respiratory infection.....
Needless to say, time I'd be spending writing, I'm spending on my back trying to get uninterrupted uncongested sleep enough that I can go back to work.
Yea, me and H.G. Wells' Martians have had it up to HERE with these damn Earth microbes.... :ugh:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Just. Awesome. :D keep it up
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:And I get battleaxed with a respiratory infection.....
Needless to say, time I'd be spending writing, I'm spending on my back trying to get uninterrupted uncongested sleep enough that I can go back to work.
Yea, me and H.G. Wells' Martians have had it up to HERE with these damn Earth microbes.... :ugh:

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling that great. I can take the microbes off your hands and give you a slightly less powerful WI presence on Rifts Earth to critique.

Less powerful = All WI products are available except for any Particle-Laser technology, starfighters, capital starships, and WI-GB1 Glitter Boy.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Good to know you are almost back.

taalismn
Priest

Not quite all back, but I figure if I get back into my old routine, the better I'll feel, right? ;)

And speaking of health care, AND Halloween...

Before You Sign on the Dotted Line, Ask Specifically About the Health Plan...

“AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!LEMMEGO!!!WAAAHHHH!!!” :eek:
”Oh, relax; you signed up for this when you signed the contract to be a PS interdimensional mercantile agent.”
“THE CONTRACT SAID NOTHING ABOUT STRAPPING ME NAKED INTO AN IRON MAIDEN ABOUT TO BE IMPALED BY HUNDREDS OF SPIKES!!! “ :eek:
”No it didn’t. It did say the company was to give you full medical benefits, including inoculations and necessary prophylactic augmentations.”
“WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SHARP SPIKES?! IRON MAIDEN?! TORTURE! MURDER!!??” :eek:
”Nothing. This isn’t an iron maiden, it’s the Paladin Steel Heart Division InjectionMaster 2000*, and these aren’t spikes, they’re nano-weave injection sleeves...a lot less painless than conventional needles or even hypo-shooters, and capable of delivering medications deep into tissue, even bone, without any physical trauma. You’ll be getting all your shots at once to save time and get you going on your way all the sooner.”
“”WAAAUGGHHH!!! I’M GONNA DIE!!! THERE’S HUNDREDS OF THEM!!!” :shock:
“Nobody’s ever died in an InjectionMaster 2000. In fact, the point is, a little loss of modesty now, saves your life later. Let’s see, you’ll getting a full spectrum of vaccinations---tetanus, rubella, malaria, diptheria, meningitis, polio, yellow fever, red fever, Deng fever, screaming green fever, measles, chlorfexella, bubonic, typhus, cholera, the STDs, the latest CS warbugs, Nellian rickets, ebola, radioactive measles, Martian mumps, flopper flu, Lyme disease, Lurgessan staph, rabies, Madhaven Wasting Sickness, psychosian flu, zerka fever, plus you’ll be getting the immune system enhancement, anticancer treatment, a regeneration booster and the latest anti-malnano guard. That’s easily a cool hundred thousand credits in medical benefits in two minutes!”
“WAGGHHH!!! LET ME OUT OF THIS THI-wait, ‘flooper flu’? What’s that?” :-?
“Hiccups with random teleporting. Very nasty if you live in a high rise.”
“Ouch. I can imagine. AAAAAAAHHH!!! NOW GIMME MY CLOTHES BACK!!! UNTIE ME!!!” :oops:
”After you’ve had your shots and we let you sleep it off for an hour or so. Now relax and it will all be over before you know it.”
“THAT’S WHAT I’M AFRAID OF, YOU CRAZY PEOPLE!!! UGGGHHH!!!!AAAAAAA-(bzzt)aahh..zzzzzzzz....” :sleep:
“Electronic anesthesia. Inoculates against drama queens every time.”
-Hmmmmmmmmm.......-

*PSHD InjectionMaster 2000 Nano-Inoculation System
“I think the idea here is that it not only scares the hell out of you, it scares the disease out of you...”

“This is why engineers shouldn’t run health care...”

PSHD’s heavy-duty mass-vaccination/injection system. Can deliver up to 100 different chemicals/medications/vaccines/nano-implants at once, using disposable ‘smart’ nanosheaths to infiltrate body tissues. The complete system features a full-body bio-scanner(to properly target the nano-injectors, biomonitor array(to check the physical well-being of the patient), electronic anesthesia(for dealing with those patients who just CAN’T get over their fear of needles), sterile field generator, and automated sterilization and nanosheath replacement systems for readying the apparatus between patients. Restraint couch and somatic restraints optional. Despite its decidedly fearsome appearance, the process is nearly completely painless and leaves little, if any, residual soreness afterwards. It is also an excellent device for applying pinpoint treatments, such as nanotech cultures and chemotherapy drugs, or for properly applying injection medications to beings with a non-standard physiology or specific points of possible drug introduction. Lauded by engineering analysts as a ‘triumph of efficiency over aesthetics’ and decried as having ‘all the bedside manner of the Spanish Inquisition’, the Injection Master 2000 has surprisingly caught on with (para)military services for processing recruits(though rumors persist it’s also been used for interrogations) and some bio-augmentation clinics across the Megaverse. The InjectionMaster 2000 is most commonly used in PSHD’s health clinics and bio-aug shops. It’s also rumored that even as the Coalition States features the InjectionMaster 2000 in negative PR campaigns as ‘a d-bee instrument of torture’, it has supposedly acquired several through third parties for its own use.
Cost: 800,000 credits for the complete system.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Man that's priceless. :lol:
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

I think we get the points of PS rapid health.
Last edited by abtex on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:would it measure a three-point-seven kill-o-heurtz on the ouchdammitometer?

As Mister Taylor put it; it's all in the anticipation. Normally the patient would be out unconscious before the nano-needle array was even positioned, let alone actually inserted, but for some reason wasn't in this case(typically it's because the person, wanting to prove they're 'tough', declines pre-procedure anesthesia, or because the medtechs are feeling a little sadistic about an obnoxious patient, but usually it's just abd timing).

Of course, with raw military recruits, it's 'take it like a warrior' and after ten minutes resting/slowing down from hyperventilating, the power-table tips up and tosses them into the next room to continue their induction.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries ‘Hikyaku’ Heavy Scout/Courier
(aka “Astroburner’, ‘Comet Express’,'Scorchstar', 'Red Rivet')

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/img299.jpg

“Neither rain nor heat nor plasma pulses, nor anti-matter missiles, nor Demonstars, nor gloom of eternal night shall keep these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds!”
----Unofficial Motto of the Galactic Couriers.

“Yep, the Darien War’s gone hot again; both sides were simply using the ceasefire to rearm, so there’s now more of both sides, more heavily armed than ever, blasting away at each other and anything else in a five light year radius of the contested systems. The Ambassador and his staff are stuck, can’t get out, and their food supplies are running out. Their hosts can’t come up with anything that our people can properly eat, they can’t spare the ships to escort the delegation out, and their enemies have made no bones about killing neutrals unless they join their side. Eating the chow’s slow death by cumulative poisoning for our people, so we’re going to run the gauntlet to deliver them a few hundred tons of proper grub, so’s to tide them over until the war winds down enough for us to properly extract them. We go in full drive, through BOTH sides, with BOTH jammers and IFF going full blast, and we drop our supply pods to make atmo-brake on the Darian homeworld, then slingshot back out and try to ourselves back out alive. Hopefully, they’ll listen to our sig-signals and won’t mistake our grocery bags for city-busters and blow them out of the sky, because then we’ll have to go back and do it all over again!”
---Captain Haddam Chestr, ASI GalCourier Myrtilus

“Another hot run into a war zone at maximum speed, hard gees crushing us in our seats, ship shaking bucking free molecular turbulence, enough bigger garbage and free flying ordnance to tear our shields down to next to nothing at the end of the run, and ablate our forward armor down to the flint steel if we’re lucky and nobody deliberately shoots at us? Strong chance of death and destruction if they ignore our transmissions and use our signals and drive wake to home their weapons in on? Hey, SOMEBODY’s got to tell those two fleets of chuckleheads their war’s officially over.”
---Ensign Lorn Tallavor, ASI GalCourier Sybil Ludington

“Yeah, we wear ‘relief garments’ on duty, because we pull more hard gees for longer than even fighter pilots. Because on a ‘hot’ run, getting up to use the facilities like normal is asking for strained muscles and maybe broken bones if we fall or the ship has to suddenly maneuver. I don’t feel like trading my meat for a full prosthetic body like some of the other burn-riders do, so I get used to it. But right now, I’m off-duty, off my ship, and under normal gees, and I take exception to being called a ‘diaper pilot’ by some orbit-hopper like you. So unless you want to know how being hit with high-gee exercised muscle feels like, I’d shut my ‘ports if I were you.”
----Warrant Officer Callia Durmann, ASI GalCourier Cephalus

As more modern designs became possible with the advance of PS/ASI’s shipbuilding technologies, older, but still sound, designs were re-tasked to new roles, Just as older modular pre-gravitic ship designs and production lines were retooled to produce orbital platforms and equipment, so too were older CG-tech designs retained, but mined for all possible use. Such was the case with the Falx and Masakari Heavy Space Destroyers. The ships of the ‘mushroom force’(so-called for their distinctive ‘toadstool’ configuration) were small, cramped, and under-armed by Galactic standards, but they were also built tough. PS/ASI has capitalized on that toughness to rebuild the design into a high-performance high-speed auxiliary.
The Hikyaku(named for ancient Japanese Shogunate message runners) is a reworked Falx/Masakari-class hull, remade as a fast light scout or heavy galactic courier. Crew requirements have been cut down through redundant automation. The engines have been considerably beefed up, using military-grade powerplants developed in anticipation of PS/ASI’s on-the-drawing-board heavy cruiser classes. These engines make up more proportionately of the Hikyakus’ mass than those of the parent Falx and Masakari destroyer classes. Though capable of matching the top speeds of advanced and finely-tuned Three Galaxies machines such as the Altess Zhokil-class battlecruisers, the high speeds that the Hikyakus can reach strain the ships’ spaceframes, requiring substantially more maintenance between ‘hot’ runs(some estimates place the turnaround between high speed ‘burn-runs’ at 2-3 times the standard for the Falx/Masakaris). The high performance also takes a toll on the gravitic shielding protecting the crew; when operating at maximum speed, the crew is advised to take to specially-fitted acceleration stations and work stations, as sustained long-term g-loads commonly reach 3-5 gees, and hit spikes of 7-9 during combat maneuvering. For FTL transits, the C-G FTL drives have been tweaked for as much boosted performance as PS/ASI’s drive technology knowledge allows.
Weaponry is reduced to point defense types, the ships’ armor and speed being their main defenses. Most of the weaponry has been stripped off; especially projectile weapons types, in favor of energy weapons and point defense systems. The shields have also been beefed up, especially to resist the potentially catastrophic collisions with free floating matter possible at the high speeds the Hikyakus typically operate at. Passive defenses in the form of sensor jammers have also been added, with power allocated to operate them, in the hopes that such systems will further increase the survival of the ships on their assigned missions.
Sensors and communications are above par for ships of this weight classification; as scouts the vessels need to know what’s around them, as couriers they need to avoid hazards well in advance. Their advanced communications systems allow them to more effectively dump their accumulated or carried data quickly and securely to their support elements or target receivers.
The Hikyakus normally carry only small amounts of cargo, and in courier missions, even this is kept to a minimum, most courier missions carrying only highly encrypted and compressed digital data in secure storage. LIkewise, while they can carry a few passengers, quarters and accommodations are spartan, and any passengers must double up with the crew. more often than not,those electing to travel by courier typically travel in stasis.

As warships, Hikyakus are too weak armament-wise to have much of a chance against other warships, and as interdiction craft they lack available onboard manpower to conduct search and boarding operations. Hikyakus are generally deployed as ‘look and dash’ scouts, doing quick flybys/thrus of a target system, hopefully before any enemy can mount an effective intercept. Hikyakus are not stealthy vessels; their massive engines pump out a very visible wake of gravitational distortion that can be easily detected. Because they are also decidedly not very maneuverable at maximum speed(where time dilation affects crew response time), they tend to stay away from the thick of things.

Hikyakus are occasionally used as commercial scouts and search and rescue vessels, as they can quickly cover large areas of normal space. Paladin Steel/Aegis Stellar Industries maintains a ‘runner circuit’ of these ships throughout their commercial empire, waiting to dash at a moment’s notice to relay important messages.

Type: PSS/ASI-DS-15 Hikyaku
Class: Heavy Space Scout/Courier
Crew: 30, plus 1-7 additional passengers
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 11,000
Bridge 5,000
Main Engines(2) 4,000 each
Heavy Laser Batteries(2) 500 each
Point Defense Lasers(10) 100 each
Variable Forcefield 2,000 per side, 12,000 total

Height: 120 ft
Width: 120 ft
Length: 400 ft
Weight: 5,000 tons
Cargo: 300 tons
*External Cargo Racks(2)---The Hikyaku can carry external cargo in the form of modules identical to those carried by the Brunel-class heavy transports. Each rack can hold 400 tons of cargo poddage. However, this capability is rarely ever used by couriers, unless delivering ‘drop pod’ cargos, as the added mass reduces performance by as much as 10%. Scientific and scout-recon Hikyakus typically use these for sensor pods, or to deploy decoys and surveillance sats.

Powerplant: Nuclear Fusion, w/ 20 year energy life
Speed: (Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Space) Mach 20
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 2% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6.6 light years per hour
(Underwater) Not possible
Market Cost: 415 million credits
Systems of Note:
*Full Sensor Suite---Specialized sensor pallets include radiation detectors and counters, spectrographic analysis devices, gravitic sensors, electromagnetic activity readers, and optics packages.
*Long Range Radar---Phased Array Search and Early Warning Radars
Maximum Target Resolution: 1.3 million miles
*Laser Targeting-------100,000 miles
*Communications Suite:---Long Range Radio and Video. Hikyakus use high-compression directional tight-beam ‘squirt’ systems to transmit highly-encrypted data to target receivers to minimize the chance of signal interception.
*Laser Communications ---Tactical (i.e. ship-to fighter/shuttle)Range: 50,000 miles

*Optical Tracking Clusters----These are transparent blisters fitted with gimbal-mounted high-resolution visible-light/IR/UV optical telescopes that continually scan the arc of sky before them. Linked to the navigational arrays and other tracking sensors, and to a series of highly-sophisticated near-AI search and discrimination software systems, these sensors attempt to detect objects that have low radar returns/sensor signatures, such as stealthed vehicles, iceballs, or asteroids. The high-tech equivalent of the man in the crow’s nest with a pair of binoculars.

*EW Jamming Systems---In combat, the Hikyaku will attempt to use its electronic warfare suite to confuse enemy sensors as to the ship’s exact position and activity, or, given the fact that the ship’s drive plume is obviously NOT going to be missed, deflect enemy targeting to fire at the energetic drive efflux, not the ship itself. Communications Jamming has a 10,000 mile range, is 90% effective against civilian systems, and is 65% effective against more sophisticated channel-jumping military communications suites. Missiles and sensor-guided weapons are -4 to strike.

*Passive Stealth Systems----The Hikyaku can use passive stealth systems to reduce its sensor signature by as much as 50%, but in order to achieve this, the ship cannot be under acceleration, and its engines must be running ‘cold’. This is typically used when the ship is being pursued and can break away long enough to go to ground ahead of an enemy, but cannot yet outrun them entirely.

*CAF Sensor Shielding----Purchased from CAF sources. Limits effective opposition sensor range to 4,000 miles or less.

*Self-Destruct Systems---It’s not particularly well-advertised, but couriers carry the means to electronically and mechanically destroy their databanks and ‘special’ cargoes to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. The more extreme mission parameters may call for/provide for the entire SHIP being destroyed, rather than leave crew and onboard systems to be tortured and studied for information.

Weapons Systems:
1)Heavy Laser Batteries(2x2)---Mounted in twin turrets are two heavy twin-barrel laser cannon retained to destroy missiles and dissuade fighters and heavier warcraft from approaching too closely.
Range: 10 miles in atmosphere, 40 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 40 miles in atmosphere/ 40,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x100 MD per single blast, 4d4x100 MD per double blast
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee
Payload: Effectively unlimited

2)Point Defense Lasers(10)---- Arranged around the hull are ten standard laser PDS turrets for knocking down missiles and fighters. PS/ASI added the large number to the small starship to insure all-around coverage, and to allow at least two or more turrets to be able to come to bear on an incoming threat.
Range: 1 mile(4 miles in space)
(Kitsune Values: 4 miles in atmosphere/ 400 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x10 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: Effectively unlimited

Auxiliary Craft:
One Light Shuttle(Lifeboat)

Variants:
*DS-15E---This is an even faster, harder-driving version, with accelerations so hard on the crew that PS/ASI only crews them with full-conversion cyborgs and cyberhumanoids able to survive the sustained 12-25 g-loads these ships can sometimes pull.
Speed: (Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3; transatmospheric.
(Space) Mach 30
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.9% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6.8 light years per hour

*DS-15F---To address concerns that the Hikyakus sacrifice too MUCH armament to focus on a specialized duty, PS/ASI rearmed a small number with cruise missile launchers, giving them SOME utility in striking against capital ships. These ‘torpedo couriers’ each have two 15-shot Cruise Missile Launchers of CCW pattern, for a total of 30 CMLs per ship, giving them some increased ‘bite’ against heavier opposition, such as capital ships.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Nice to see another courier ship out there. :)
------------------

"Sure Wildstorm Industries' Wild Weasel might be a touch faster, but if you want to make sure that your package gets to its destination intact then I recommend the PS/ASI ‘Hikyaku’ Heavy Scout/Courier. They can take more of a pounding than the Weasels, and have a better chance of getting your stuff there in one piece."
-- Marc Daemon, Turbo-Jock
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:Nice to see another courier ship out there. :)
------------------

"Sure Wildstorm Industries' Wild Weasel might be a touch faster, but if you want to make sure that your package gets to its destination intact then I recommend the PS/ASI ‘Hikyaku’ Heavy Scout/Courier. They can take more of a pounding than the Weasels, and have a better chance of getting your stuff there in one piece."
-- Marc Daemon, Turbo-Jock

Thank you!

And here's a cookie!

-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Thank you!

And here's a cookie!

You're welcome.

UPS = Universal Package Service?
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:
taalismn wrote:Thank you!

And here's a cookie!

You're welcome.

UPS = Universal Package Service?

Oh yeah....Probably should be MPS(Megaversal Postal Service), but sometimes, you gotta work your way up from ONE universe.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

True enough. Good work though. Keep the material coming. :)

Now to get my ideas flowing again... :(
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:True enough. Good work though. Keep the material coming. :)

Now to get my ideas flowing again... :(

They'll come at the strangest times and from the craziest sources...
Heck, the InjectionMaster 2000 I typed up in about 15 minutes and fired it off five minutes later...I spent more time SPELLCHECKING it than I did writing it.
In contrast, the Asteroid Cruiser took THREE YEARS sitting on my harddrive.
So, plan, but also allow for the moments of mad, crazy, inspiration to carry you.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

More Smallkin!

Mephites (Converted/Modified AtB Mutant Mutant Skunks)
(aka ‘Musties’)

“HAAAAACCCKKK!-GASP-*gag*HA-UURRRHHKK!!!***WHHEEEZE***#BARF#”
---Altaran Minion, after an encounter with a Mephite

“#HHHeeeWWGG!!#---wretttttttcccchhhhhh---*whimperwhinewhimper*”
---CS Dogboy, after an encounter with a Mephite

“MY EYES! MY NOSE!!! THEY -BLEED-!!!!”
---Ogre Headhunter, after an encounter with a Mephite

The ‘Musties’ are the mutant descendants of populations of skunks that survived the deluging of the Eastern Seaboard and subsequently re-colonized the various debris islands left by the retreating waters. Subsequent geological shifting trapped many populations of skunks for several generations, and the combination of magical energies and proliferate chemical and radiological pollution from the remains of the heavily urbanized East Coast wrought substantial mutations, including sentience, on the skunk populations. Isolation has also led to a increase in dwarfism(rather than ‘island giganitism’) with the resultant Mephites being slightly smaller than than their striped skunk ancestors. They have also been blessed/cursed with a greater variety of mutations, especially their dreaded stink-spray, in response to the predatory threats they faced scavenging, many of which were not deterred by their normal ancestral stench-spray.
Mephites are inveterate opportunists and scavengers, living off the land and around the edges of civilization. As such, they have little patience or inclination to organize into any sort of larger sociopolitical union or organization like other Smallkin populations. In the GNE, the Rodentia Union has offered the Mephites membership, even though the Mephites are NOT rodents(this move has been seen by the Nutkin Republic faction as a purely political one to boost the RU’s numbers). Many Mephites have joined various adventurer groups, paramilitaries, and the GNE Armed Services out of a desire to make a living and better rummaging opportunities.
As the range of wandering of Mephites increases, it is possible to encounter them elsewhere in the Megaverse, introducing many others to the dubious honor of being ‘skunked’.

Alignments: Any
Life Span: 50 years
Size: Size Level 2: 16-20 inches long, 2-3 lbs
Gender: Heterosexual, with females producing a litter of 1-4 pups. Reach sexual maturity at 11 years old.
Physical Description/Appearance:
Smaller versions of the common striped skunk, but with a bipedal posture and fully articulated hand-paws. Civilized Mephites favor clothing with many pockets, knapsacks, and carryalls. Corrective optical goggles are also becoming common.
Disposition/Attitudes:
Nomadic and opportunistic scavengers who think nothing of rooting through others’ garbage for food and usable materials. They have a strong sense of personal space, but will not go immediately tactical if they aren’t bothered. Friendships are on THEIR terms, and an agitated Mephite will offer due warning if somebody is getting too close or has stepped over a line.
Physical Attributes:
IQ: 2d6
ME: 3d6
MA: 3d6
PS: 2d6
PP: 3d6
PB: 3d6
PE: 4d4
SPD: 3d6
(ISP): By psionic class
(PPE): 3d6
Hit Points: P.E. +1d6 per level of experience
SDC: 10 + any additional from skills, training, and OCC bonuses.
MDC: By psionic power or technology only
Horror Factor:----
Natural Abilities:
Hands: Full
Biped: Full
Speech: Full
Looks: None

-Advanced Sense of Smell---100 ft range, Recognize specific odors: 70%+4% per level of experience, recognize poisons/chemicals by smell: 50%+4% per level of experience, recognize specific person: 50%+3% per level of experience, track by scent: 40%+3% per level of experience every 200 yards. In circumstances where smell can come into play: +1 dodge, +1 initiative. Interestingly enough, Mephites are not at all bothered by their own stench spray.

-Fluffy Spray Tail---A big fluffy(and visible) tail with powerful spray glands at the base. An uplifted tail is a good sign that others better clear the area!

-Stench Spray---- Effective range of 30 ft and can generate it up to 6 times a day+1 additional use per level of experience. Rampant mutation has wrought a number of chances in the Mephite population, especially with regards to the dreaded butylmercaptan spray:

01-40% Skunk Stench---this is the basic original un-mutated spray; can be used up to eight times per day, range is roughly 10 ft, and victims are to save at 15 or better, or be incapacitated(NO initiative, -80% to skill rolls, limited to defensive actions only----parry, roll---and bonuses are at HALF) for as long as they are subjected to the stench, and for five minutes afterwards. The stench is persistent, lingering for 1d6+6 days, and can be smelt from as far off as 2,000 ft(three times that distance for anybody with advanced smell).

41-50% Green Menace---This spray looks radioactive; it glows a lurid, toxic, green in addition to smelling bad, but is otherwise not any more harmful than regular butylmercaptan. It does, however, paint its targets in a telltale green glow that persists for 1d6 days. It can also be used to outline beings hidden by invisibility magic and powers.

51-65% Superstench---An even more powerful and persistent version of the original, the effects lasting three times as long. So intense is that anybody with an enhanced sense of smell, such as Dog Boys or predators, who has been directly exposed to the superstench, will find their sense of smell knocked completely off-line for 1d6 days while their olfactory organs are cleansed of the taint.

66-75 Rot Spray----This spray is slightly acidic(raises a rash on bare skin, dissolves hairs, and irritates the eyes), but is more effective at breaking down dead matter, such as fresh food, untreated natural fibers, and dead matter. Food will be instantly spoiled. Cotton and wool clothing will deteriorate completely in 1d6 hours, leather in 2d6. Zombies and other undead take 2d6 points of damage every melee round, for 2d4 minutes.

76-80- Acidic---Does 3d6 SDC/HP per melee for 1d4 melees. Unprotected individuals are -6 to strike, parry, and dodge due to the caustic vapors.

81-85 Nerve Gas---Instead of SMELLING poisonous, this spray IS a deadly nerve toxin. Unprotected victims must save versus lethal poison, or take 6d6 H.P. damage per melee of exposure. Gas persists for 1d6 minutes.

86-90 Fuel Air Explosive---A highly volatile chemical that smells like (adulterated) natural gas, with similar properties if ignited; does 1d6x10 SD(or 1d4 MD) to a 15 ft area, going off like a concussive grenade. There’s also a 60% chance of knocking human-sized targets off their feet from the blast(lose initiative and 1 APM getting back up again). Unless ignited, the cloud safely dissipates after 1d6 melees, though the gas smell may linger for 1d6x10 minutes.

91-00 Sulfur Flame---Similar to a bombardier beetle’s chemical fire spray, this spray violently combines to create a fan of flame stretching out 15 ft and doing 1d8x10 SD(or 1d4 MD).

Disadvantages:
-Nearsighted---Poor Eyesight; vision is generally only 20% of human norm.
Psionics: Standard
Magic: None, but they have the potential. Most likely to gravitate towards Mysticism. Also see the Phidite Skunk Mage below.
Cybernetics/Bionics: Mephites tend to avoid cybernetics and bionics, even when appropriately sized systems are available, except for dire medical needs. And frankly, there are few doctors brave enough to want to do elective surgery on a skunk.
Available OCCs: Mephites gravitate towards Wilderness, Rogue, and Scholarly professions(can use the AtB professional development tables). There are many Mephite Men of Arms.
RCC Skills:
Identify Plants and Fruits(+10%)
Wilderness Survival(+5%)
Recycling(+5%)
Skills of Note:
Wilderness skills get a +5% bonus
If the Technical skill Salvage is taken, it gets a +3% bonus.
Culture:
Polygamous, with a male mating with multiple females, but few males have anything to do with raising the kids. Enjoy matriarchal family lives until the children are ready to leave home, after which they are solitary for the most part, aside from occasional sibling or apprentice-like pairings. Most Mephites are wandering opportunists, cooperating with others on an as-need basis when it benefits them. Culture can be described as gypsy-like, but with a greater emphasis on the individual, or as hobo-like.

Phidite Skunk Mage(aka ‘Line Stinker’)----These are a sub-race of Mephite that are distinguished by the bright blue accents to their fur, high PPE, and inherent Mystic-style powers of magic they possess.
Changes/Modifications:
(PPE): 1d6x10 +P.E. +1d6 per level of experience.
Magic:
*Inherent Spells: Can utilize each of the following up to four times per 24 hours(note, these spells DO increase in range and duration with experience):
-Cloud of Smoke
-Extinguish Flame
-Turn Dead
-Shadowmeld
-Repel Animals
-Sickness
-Giant---Note that the range of the stench-spray increases proportionately, making this especially dangerous.

*Ley Line Fouling---A modification of the normal stench spray, this malodorous mystic chemical, if launched into a ley line or nexus, will effectively ‘poison the well’. Any magic user attempting to draw upon the PPE of the affected magic source, must roll versus magic at 15 or better, or gain NO PPE and be incapacitated(NO initiative, -80% to skill rolls, limited to defensive actions only----parry, roll---and bonuses are at HALF) for as long as they are subjected to the stench, and for ten minutes( 15 minutes for ley line walkers) afterwards. Note that this effect works THROUGH gas filters and other environmental protections; it’s a tag-on to the PPE.
Effect lasts 1d4 minutes. Covers roughly a mile per level of experience.

Other Bonuses:
+3 save versus magic
+3 save versus ingested magical substances(including potions, faerie foods, and the meat/blood of supernatural creatures)
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:More Smallkin!

(aka ‘Musties’)

Nice Smellkin Smallkin.
taalismn wrote:Life Span: 50 years

Only under non-combat conditions.

Are they helping PS to make a line of "PpppUuu" smelly chemical projectiles?

taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:More Smallkin!

(aka ‘Musties’)

Nice Smellkin Smallkin.

Hadn't considered it but as has been said on PBS's -Nature- by engineers; "If you want to find out how to do something, look for a natural analogue; odds are, nature did it first".
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:Nice Smellkin Smallkin.

Hadn't considered it but as has been said on PBS's -Nature- by engineers; "If you want to find out how to do something, look for a natural analogue; odds are, nature did it first".

Is the scents male based, if so what would females' be? Would they hide the nest with young? Called males for that time of the year?

Scent lines can also be perfume and other non-combat lines. If a female is hunting a male is that combat or Non-combat? :-?

taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:Nice Smellkin Smallkin.

Is the scents male based, if so what would females' be? Would they hide the nest with young? Called males for that time of the year?

Scent lines can also be perfume and other non-combat lines. If a female is hunting a male is that combat or Non-combat? :-?

Since the Mephites are skunks, both males and females possess the spray and it's used defensively. That's why post-Rifts skunks evolve such nasty variants, to prevent from being scarved down by desperate predators or really hungry undead.
Now, I've seen fermales hide their nests on the Vineyard...had a family live under my kitchen one summer...We'd all get up early in the morning just before dawn to watch mama skunk bring her youngsters(about four of them) out from under our kitchen shed and play in the alley(and I do mean PLAY...they'd roll all over each each and jump up and down and just look like they were having a grand old time while mom groomed them) before it got too light and she'd shove them back under the house before creeping out looking to raid somebody's garden or unattended garbage.
Fortunately, the skunks of the Oak Bluffs campgrounds are very used to people, because given the close quarters(tightly packed houses, blind alleys, lots of encroaching shrubbery), the Vineyard would have to be PIPING in tomato juice and baking soda from the mainland to kill the scent. ESPECIALLY during the tourist season, when I've seen skunks on crowded private roads and paths scurry between people's legs, up onto porches, and under occupied rocking chairs rather than open fire with the chemical weapons. It's almost civilized and courteous...and they give plenty of warning too.
And up-island at the camper parks, the city folk feed the little 'black and white kitties'....playing with fire, they are.
My summer visits out there just aren't complete without a skunk sighting. They're like old friends. Friends you say hello to from long distance, but friends nevertheless.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Well I have power again, and finally, someone made a race of thermobaric wizard skunks.
taalismn
Priest

89er wrote:Well I have power again, and finally, someone made a race of thermobaric wizard skunks.

Yeah, we have to wait for you to suffer regional disaster and temporary severance from communication with the rest of the world before we can make our move on things like this. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Dear Paladin Steel,

We have been working on the Hardtack force rifle, you know the one that is supposed to be our venture into weaponized force-fields. I have the personal and projected shields finished, just waiting for your approval. The new guy has been no help at all, he's working on this grenade launcher that shoots out magnetized ammo. He has been coming up with specialized ammunition since our last update. It works fine, but he refuses to share it with the team. Adding to that, he builds little drones that are just in the scariest places, hoards our spices, and gets into fights with damn near everyone. I have no idea what this did did to get dropped here, but just confirm that we can send the designs.
---Mel Barnson, of Remote Testing Station SpitnPray-42
Veritas476
Adventurer

A rifle with sticky (magnetized) grenades? Do want!

Return to “Rifts®”