From the Magic FAQ

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Galroth
Adventurer

Re: From the Magic FAQ

Unread post by Galroth »

Panomas wrote:From the Magic FAQ

1. Would the magical protection ( the MDC ) provided by spells, such as armor of Ithan, invulnerability, armor bizarre, and invincible armor, be increased at/near a ley lines or at/near a nexus?

Answer: Yes, they get the same bonuses just replace the damage increase with protection to show how much more it adds.

Huh?

In looking at RUE there is no additional benefit at ley-lines mentioned for Armor Bizarre, Armor of Ithan.
From the Book of Magic there are no additional bonuses for Invulnerability at a ley-line or nexus.
There is a benefit for Energy Field, though this is not mentioned in the question.

I’m I missing something-the answer to this question does not seem clear to me.
And if you can help me understand it great-so can you source it?

Thank you-

The increase to damage, x2 at Ley Lines and x3 at Nexus Points was left out of the R:UE but were in the old Rifts main book.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

1. Would the magical protection ( the MDC ) provided by spells, such as armor of Ithan, invulnerability, armor bizarre, and invincible armor, be increased at/near a ley lines or at/near a nexus?

Answer: Yes, they get the same bonuses just replace the damage increase with protection to show how much more it adds.

The increase to damage is on page 163 of the old Rifts main book. For whatever reason it wasn't re-printed in the R:UE, however if you are still using the damage increases from the old main book... the answer to this question would work like this: If standing on a Ley Line or being within 1 mile of a Nexus point, damage of all spells is doubled unless otherwise noted in the spell description. Now, the spells listed in the question you quoted would have the MDC they provide doubled as well. If you are at a Ley Line Nexus point, damaging spells would do triple damage and armor spells would provide triple MDC protection... unless something in the particular spell description says otherwise. Does that make more sense?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Panomas wrote:From the Magic FAQ

Huh?

In looking at RUE there is no additional benefit at ley-lines mentioned for Armor Bizarre, Armor of Ithan.
From the Book of Magic there are no additional bonuses for Invulnerability at a ley-line or nexus.
There is a benefit for Energy Field, though this is not mentioned in the question.

I’m I missing something-the answer to this question does not seem clear to me.
And if you can help me understand it great-so can you source it?

Thank you-

From the Short Section titled "Canonical status of the FAQ:"

Mack wrote:Some folks occassionally ask whether or not the answers provided in this FAQ are true and canonical. The short answer is: They're not. But hold on a second! Don't just discard it.

WITH THAT BEING SAID......not even the very recent publication, titled "Mysteries of Magic," states that ley line bonuses are granted in terms of additional/doubled/tripled/etc. protection.

It would OBVIOUSLY seem as if a Ley Line would increase everything about cast spells, including protection -but unless there are other sources out there that just aren't popping into my head at 4 in the morning, there doesn't seem to be anything official to that effect.

(If I were a G.M., I wouldn't even call such a move a House Rule, I would confidently say that I think it wasn't a House Rule on my part, I would say that it was an oversight on the part of the Authors, presumptuous and arrogant as that might sound to some.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Rifts Earth is supposedly thee highest concentration of Ley Lines in the entire megaverse .. (minus a far off planet in Phase world setting, tho it is tearing itself apart)

That being said .. I would like to put forth some idiotic .. discoveries I have made ..

1) - Range , Damage , duration , Increased protection .. of spells cast .. are HIGHER .. in Palladium Fantasy then in Rifts earth ..

2) - The Ley Lines / Nexus points do not effect spells the same (on rifts earth) as they do in Palladium ..

Meaning .. Tho they do increase some of the spells / durations / what have you .. the ley lines are weaker in Palladium yet they do huge increases more then they do on Rifts earth ..

Canonly speaking ..

This is what I've been told by several people on this site. Due to it not being in print .. meaning it no longer holds true .. even a mod told me something round bout like that .. but not in those words .. that armors are not effected by them any longer.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Lenwen wrote:1) - Range , Damage , duration , Increased protection .. of spells cast .. are HIGHER .. in Palladium Fantasy then in Rifts earth ..

No they are not...
Armor of Ithan in PF provides 100 +10/level SDC, on Rifts Earth it provides 10/level MDC which is almost one hundred times as powerful.
The same thing applies to damaging spells.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

If it pleases the Court, I'd like to amend my earlier answer given at four in the morning.

I would like to change my mind and say that if something as obvious as Missing, Increased Protection Near Ley Lines has made it this far, from Rifts to RUE to "Mysteries of Magic...."

....then perhaps it isn't an oversight on the Authors' part at all.

Mind you, I don't understand why they would think that Protective Capacity shouldn't be increased in a setting as dangerous and high-powered as Rifts Earth, but it's entirely possible -nay, likely -that they actively decided against it.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

cornholioprime wrote:If it pleases the Court, I'd like to amend my earlier answer given at four in the morning.

I would like to change my mind and say that if something as obvious as Missing, Increased Protection Near Ley Lines has made it this far, from Rifts to RUE to "Mysteries of Magic...."

Mind you, I don't understand why they would think that Protective Capacity shouldn't be increased in a setting as dangerous and high-powered as Rifts Earth, but it's entirely possible -nay, likely -that they actively decided against it.

They never differentiate between damage inflicted or damage withheld.
The term damage should apply to both.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Giant2005 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:If it pleases the Court, I'd like to amend my earlier answer given at four in the morning.

That's the way I've always played it.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Giant2005 wrote:

They are usually pretty clear about differentiating between damage and protection, to my eyes -and usually they illustrate this by saying things like "damage" or "protection/armor" (see the description of various protective magicks in numerous Palladium publications, the Rifts Book of Magic, and so on).

Assuming that their words mean "more" than they say in plain English probably isn't the way to go, generally speaking, especially when they could have corrected any misconceptions over the course of many years if they wanted to.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i wouldn't presume that just because they didn't correct it, that it wasn't supposed to be corrected. this isn't exactly a company known for their great editing, after all. (love the settings they come up with, don't get me wrong, but consistency and clarity has never been one of palladium's strong points)
Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

Giant2005 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:1) - Range , Damage , duration , Increased protection .. of spells cast .. are HIGHER .. in Palladium Fantasy then in Rifts earth ..

No they are not...
Armor of Ithan in PF provides 100 +10/level SDC, on Rifts Earth it provides 10/level MDC which is almost one hundred times as powerful.
The same thing applies to damaging spells.

When using the rifts AoI in a Palladium setting it grants 10 SDC per level. (conversion is 1mdc=1sdc)
The local equivalent spell of same name grants a great deal more (100+10/lvl sdc) is likely what Lenwen was saying.
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere

Return to “Rifts®”