Lyn-Srial Pantheon (also we need more D-Bee pantheons)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

Lyn-Srial Pantheon (also we need more D-Bee pantheons)

Unread post by EmeraldToucanet »

I've been playing a Lyn-Srial in the new Rifts campaign my group started up, and have been really wishing that certain aspects of their culture (and things about their home world) were fleshed out more. I haven't seen anything on what deities this race worships, so I decided a good start would be to come up with some really basic details for a Lyn-Srial pantheon.
Plus I really wish there were more D-Bee pantheons detailed in general (are there any detailed, aside from some Wolfen gods, and the Dragonwright pantheon which arguably could be called a D-bee Pantheon?)
Here's what I have so far.

Lyn-Srial Pantheon

Sal
Sal is the Lyn-Srial word for sun, and the name of the “all father” of their pantheon. Sal the sun-god is a patron of the arts; he loves to dance, sign, write poetry, paint and engage in any number of other creative pursuits. However he is also a noble warrior, and defender of the innocent. He seeks to whenever possible end his battles with no loss of life. He will however slay undead monstrosities, especially vampires, though unlike some of the more passionate gods he does not seek to utterly wipe them out of existence. Sal believes that darkness needs to be kept in check rather than completely destroyed.
Sal also has been actively working with the Pantheon of Light to help weaken the Pantheon of Darkness, though he really does just want to make sure they don’t grow in strength.
Alignment: scrupulous

Viir
Viir is the Lyn-Srial sky goddess, and the mate of Sal. Sal and Viir wove the first Lyn-Srial into existence using cloud magic. Viir is the patron of mothers and a fertility goddess, as well as the goddess of the hearth (the Lyn-Srial do make their homes in the sky after all).
Viir however has a split personality, one is caring, and nurturing, while the other is her violent storm persona. In her storm persona she becomes the goddess of chaos, strife and change. The storm goddess ultimately destroys whatever she creates.
Alignment: Actually depends on whether her nurturer or storm personality is dominant. As a nurturer she is principled, as the storm she is miscreant.

Tryth
Tryth’s name means “the fallen”. Tryth is the Lyn-Srial earth deity, and unlike in most pantheons the Lyn-Srial earth deity is male. Tryth along with being god of the earth is god of mystery. To creatures that live in the sky the ground holds many secrets. The Lyn-Srial sometimes refer to ground-dwelling races as “children of Tryth”. He is a very wise but distant god.
Alignment: unprincipled

Shiima
Shiima is goddess of the night sky, as well as both justice (or perhaps more accurately vengeance) and death. Lyn-Srial believe that their spirits dwell in a place of endless night sky (which is itself called Shiima) for a time before they are either reborn, or move onto some higher plane of existence. Shiima watches over this place, protecting the spirits that dwell within.
Perhaps oddly Shiima is the only member of the Lyn-Srial pantheon that really passionately wants evil creatures of the night (such as vampires) to be utterly destroyed down to the last one, the same goes for any other undead creature as well, whether evil or not. Shiima sees such creatures as abusing the powers of her domain, and of evading their rightful fate (they should have died but continue to linger on).
Shiima tends to view any being that was born mortal, but manages to escape their mortality in a very negative light. This is particularly true when it comes to those whom gained some form of immortality because they actively pursued it (she views them as cowards at best and abominations at worst), and she encourages hunting down such beings. Beings that gained immortality because of something that was beyond their control she’ll tend to view as tragic as they have been removed from the proper life cycle through no fault of their own (though she might still encourage one of her followers to put them out of their misery).
Alignment: aberrant
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Lyn-Srial Pantheon (also we need more D-Bee pantheons)

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Where are the Lyn from so I can go read up on them? :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

New West, pp. 33-36 and 133-136
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Encyclopedia Megaversal Approved! :ok: :ok:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:Encyclopedia Megaversal Approved! :ok: :ok:

Encyclopedia Megaversal? Is someone collecting user-submitted goodies from the forums? If so that's awesome, where can I check it out? If this hasn't been done it would be a cool project. Thanks for the thumbs up in any case.
I'm considering stating these guys up, or at least defining some of their powers... though they mostly exist to help detail Lyn-Srial culture a bit more so I suppose that isn't really necessary (and I've never stated up gods so could be a challenge).
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

EmeraldToucanet wrote:
taalismn wrote:Encyclopedia Megaversal Approved! :ok: :ok:

Encyclopedia Megaversal? Is someone collecting user-submitted goodies from the forums? If so that's awesome, where can I check it out? If this hasn't been done it would be a cool project. Thanks for the thumbs up in any case.
I'm considering stating these guys up, or at least defining some of their powers... though they mostly exist to help detail Lyn-Srial culture a bit more so I suppose that isn't really necessary (and I've never stated up gods so could be a challenge).

It's a shout-out to Carl Sagan's idea of an 'Encyclopedia Galactica'(no, not the TV series) that was the accumulated knowledge of the sentient species in the galaxy, somehow transmitted between societies. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

paxmiles wrote:Is this a Pantheon from their mythology, or a currently practiced religion?

If religion, that's why there isn't anything for it. We still lack any mention of Christianity and the other modern religions (or cults, depending on your point of view) in the pantheons book. Could be wrong here.

In some respects, I'm glad that they don't mention modern religion. On the other hand, I dislike how they include dead religions, but give no credit to modern ones.
-Pax

It's both in the sense that in the Palladium megaverse the Norse, Greek, etc... pantheons are both. If you're talking real world, none of these deities exist either in ancient or modern religion, they are totally made up, just like the Lyn-Srial are of course totally made up. I think it makes sense to have a D-bee pantheon not be based too heavily on any existing religion (though obviously there's some parallels since many religions have a sky god, a sun god, etc...)
Of course in the real world many of the religions detailed in Palladium books such as Pantheons of the Megaverse are not as dead as you might think, I personally have met quiet a few people whom follow the more ancient religions, and modernized variations. It's particularly popular around where I live for whatever reason.
EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

paxmiles wrote:
EmeraldToucanet wrote:
Okay, so why does he have these traits? What stories or mythologies is he a part of. How does this profile translate into actions or traits or appearance? How does he relate to the other gods? How did he come into existence? Why is he the "all father"?

Greek Mythology would be a great starting point on wikipedia if not already familiar.
-Pax

I could flesh them out more, but I need a starting point before I can do that, and that's what this is. I think for most games keeping them fairly basic works well (unless a character is a priest or particularly devoted follower of said pantheon, then more details can be really important), it's enough to add a bit more flavor to the race that worships them, and to clarify what the race actually does generally worship, without requiring writing multiple pages on them. Though fleshing them out more could be a fun thing to do in the future if I have time.
If you look at the base books at least for some RPGs the gods just really get little blurbs that define some basic attributes, in the sense of basic personality, and basically what they are the god of. Think of this as one of those little core book blurbs some RPGs have on their deities rather than something from out of Pantheons of the Megaverse.
I've read lots and lots of mythology, it's been something of a hobby of mine.

Return to “Rifts®”