Early Question about Lemuria.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Early Question about Lemuria.

Unread post by taalismn »

Been reading my new Lemuria book...so far, not as exotic as originally hoped...The Lemurians are another 'old human' branch(but I already had resigned myself to that), but satisfying ,..very satisfying thus far in my reading.
The art is fabulous, and one look at the Panther-Shark had me laughing in glee.
And the Junkcrab(already thinking of some new shell additions)...the Heisman Trophy sticking out the back of his shell is a nice touch.

However, I do have a question...in the illo of the Storm Crab, what's the little double-barreled thing on the back, behind the eyes and the crouched bio-armor rider? Another bioarmor with heavy weapons? An accessory bioweapon turret system that isn't mentioned anywhere? It doesn't appear to be part of the Crab's description. Thoughts? Answers?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Re: Early Question about Lemuria.

Unread post by mumah »

taalismn wrote:Been reading my new Lemuria book...so far, not as exotic as originally hoped...The Lemurians are another 'old human' branch(but I already had resigned myself to that), but satisfying ,..very satisfying thus far in my reading.
And the Junkcrab(already thinking of some new shell additions)...the Heisman Trophy sticking out the back of his shell is a nice touch.

However, I do have a question...in the illo of the Storm Crab, what's the little double-barreled thing on the back, behind the eyes and the crouched bio-armor rider? Another bioarmor with heavy weapons? An accessory bioweapon turret system that isn't mentioned anywhere? It doesn't appear to be part of the Crab's description. Thoughts? Answers?

It was something that I thought that looked cool that I added to the drawing.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

mumah wrote:
taalismn wrote:Been reading my new Lemuria book...so far, not as exotic as originally hoped...The Lemurians are another 'old human' branch(but I already had resigned myself to that), but satisfying ,..very satisfying thus far in my reading.

:ok: :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

From what I hear this book is heavy on art by Mumah and Walton, yes? If so, it's going higher on my book priority list.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Akashic Soldier
Knight

MIGHTY JAWS AND RENDING CLAWS!

By the way...

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
It'll bite of yer head,
and do circus stunts!

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Furoan
Wanderer

Unread post by Furoan »

Are you saying there's a panther shark? I'm sorry, I couldn't quiet here you, your going to need to speak up.

Really looking forward to when mine arrives (Damn you international distances!)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Blindscout wrote:From what I hear this book is heavy on art by Mumah and Walton, yes? If so, it's going higher on my book priority list.

It is indeed, and both of them have done fantastic work for it. The pair of them really "DEFINE" the book. If you like their art you'll love this.

Manning has some stuff in there. Not his best stuff but it's not 'BAD'. I don't love it but it's ok.
Burles has a goodly amount in there too, and while I usually rail on at length about how much I hate his stuff, his stuff here isn't that bad either. I can leave it at 'I just don't like it' instead of 4 pages of rant.

But yeah. Walton and Mumah make the juice worth the squeeze.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Re: MIGHTY JAWS AND RENDING CLAWS!

Akashic Soldier wrote:By the way...

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
It'll bite of yer head,
and do circus stunts!

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!

*Throws AK a bunch of "n's" To go with those PATHER's*

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

taalismn wrote:The Lemurians are another 'old human' branch(but I already had resigned myself to that),

I thought that was established in one of the SA books that the Lemurians where a branch of humans like Atlantean. I know in SA#2 they where shown to co-habit the Earth w/Atlantean and other humans (Nazca specifically mentioned). I might be wrong and thinking of a teaser bit released in a press release or murmor, but I thought I read it in a SA book.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Furoan wrote:Are you saying there's a panther shark? I'm sorry, I couldn't quiet here you, your going to need to speak up.

Really looking forward to when mine arrives (Damn you international distances!)

Have you downloaded the "Rifts Lemuria Sneak Preview" from drivethru.com or RPGnow.com
Starting an account is free and so is the download:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/100701/Rifts-Lemuria-Sneak-Preview
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
It'll bite of yer head,
and do circus stunts!

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!

But then he would be Pan-ther-ing [pan-thor-ing in bad english] about something else. :D

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

ShadowLogan wrote:
taalismn wrote:The Lemurians are another 'old human' branch(but I already had resigned myself to that),

I thought that was established in one of the SA books that the Lemurians where a branch of humans like Atlantean. I know in SA#2 they where shown to co-habit the Earth w/Atlantean and other humans (Nazca specifically mentioned). I might be wrong and thinking of a teaser bit released in a press release or murmor, but I thought I read it in a SA book.

Nope. You're right. They 'were' a branch of humans like the Atlanteanians were a branch.

in the Lemurian case they used a few 1000 years of magical DNA sequencing to make themselves better, but they very much still think of themselves as human(ish) and earth as their home.

check out the bit I wrote up on them in the other thread. :) They're pretty cool. I just wish... they weren't quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite so SQUEEKY CLEAN.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
It'll bite of yer head,
and do circus stunts!

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!

Did I really misspell panther shark that many times?

That doesn't seem like me... especially since I know I typed this on my PC.

*shrugs*

Oh well.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-ahem-
SHARK PANTHER!!!!!! :mrgreen: :P
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

mumah wrote:

That also explains the license plate. :D

But damnit, now I want that turret-thingie to BE something besides Crab--dressing!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Blindscout wrote:Manning has some stuff in there. Not his best stuff but it's not 'BAD'. I don't love it but it's ok.

Just to clarify, Manning is two people. Brian and Allen. They're brothers, though you wouldn't know it because they're twins and they're always finishing each other's sandwiches.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

mumah wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Blindscout wrote:Manning has some stuff in there. Not his best stuff but it's not 'BAD'. I don't love it but it's ok.

Just to clarify, Manning is two people. Brian and Allen. They're brothers, though you wouldn't know it because they're twins and they're always finishing each other's sandwiches.

What is there a link to their website or galley, please?
Last edited by abtex on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Nope. You're right. They 'were' a branch of humans like the Atlanteanians were a branch.

in the Lemurian case they used a few 1000 years of magical DNA sequencing to make themselves better, but they very much still think of themselves as human(ish) and earth as their home.

check out the bit I wrote up on them in the other thread. :) They're pretty cool. I just wish... they weren't quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite so SQUEEKY CLEAN.

Considering the number of factions in Rifts that are so far removed from squeeky clean, it will be refreshing to see a group that personifies good for once.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Jedrious wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Considering the number of factions in Rifts that are so far removed from squeeky clean, it will be refreshing to see a group that personifies good for once.

I agree. We need more "Good Guys" in Rifts.

Is there any info on the Lemurian experiment which transformed the original crew of Nemo2 into the SeaTitans ??

I'm kinda figuring they got hit with a massive Biomancy effect of somekind.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

TechnoGothic wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

I agree. We need more "Good Guys" in Rifts.

Is there any info on the Lemurian experiment which transformed the original crew of Nemo2 into the SeaTitans ??

I'm kinda figuring they got hit with a massive Biomancy effect of somekind.

Unless they've rewritten the book since I got it some members of Nemo's crew along with Nemo himself were exposed to a rift event that made everyone exposed into supernatural MDC beings. Something that always passes down to the children. I don't remember anything about anyone engaging in experiments that gave them their supernatural nature.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

I don't mind good guys. I like playing good guys too.

But there's a difference between good guys and almost angelic beings. They are 'sooo' squeeky clean that it comes off a bit false. An entire race of beings that mastered DNA manipulation, magic, psionics, and stone magic, that are mostly vegans, or only eat fish, never higher creatures, that are peaceful and gentle and loving and kind, and so empathic that even wild animals come up for lickies, and they peacefully explore and add to their knowledge and help strangers and hate to fight, but are so noble that they realize monsters are bad so they have a small token force of military might, and they're also beautiful strong, smart, powerful, every one has psionics, and like living in their floating, flying, submerging hippy commune cities with wild life running through the streets, ect ect ect.

LOL They're "SOOOOO" Good that it comes across as... "fake". I know it's a game I understand that, but being an imperfect being living in an imperfect world, seeing that 'perfection of an entire society of people' it makes me tilt my head and go 'How could that possibly be?'.

Please please don't get me wrong. I like the book. I very much like the book. I'll even say it's one of the better books they've produced recently. I like the book. Hell, I like the Lemurians. I'll just 'Dirty mine down a bit' when/if played. The entire society of lovey, kind, gentle hippy aquatic super people, that are just NICE. Is just a smidge unrealistic to me.

(( Save for the one smaller faction that seem to fully embrace evil and yet go undetected, even though every one in the society have psionics. lol))

Jedrious
Adventurer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

But there's a difference between good guys and almost angelic beings. They are 'sooo' squeeky clean that it comes off a bit false. An entire race of beings that mastered DNA manipulation, magic, psionics, and stone magic, that are mostly vegans, or only eat fish, never higher creatures, that are peaceful and gentle and loving and kind, and so empathic that even wild animals come up for lickies, and they peacefully explore and add to their knowledge and help strangers and hate to fight, but are so noble that they realize monsters are bad so they have a small token force of military might, and they're also beautiful strong, smart, powerful, every one has psionics, and like living in their floating, flying, submerging hippy commune cities with wild life running through the streets, ect ect ect.

LOL They're "SOOOOO" Good that it comes across as... "fake". I know it's a game I understand that, but being an imperfect being living in an imperfect world, seeing that 'perfection of an entire society of people' it makes me tilt my head and go 'How could that possibly be?'.

Please please don't get me wrong. I like the book. I very much like the book. I'll even say it's one of the better books they've produced recently. I like the book. Hell, I like the Lemurians. I'll just 'Dirty mine down a bit' when/if played. The entire society of lovey, kind, gentle hippy aquatic super people, that are just NICE. Is just a smidge unrealistic to me.

(( Save for the one smaller faction that seem to fully embrace evil and yet go undetected, even though every one in the society have psionics. lol))

Does the book go into their history for how they became Semi-Utopian?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Jedrious wrote:Does the book go into their history for how they became Semi-Utopian?

In a way, yeah. They're described as one of he Anchient 'super human' races along beside Atlantis and stuff. Just differently motivated. Atlantis was all into tattoos and interdimensional travel, Lemurian's were into stone magic and biomancy/dna modification.

Not so much how they GOT there... it kinda picks up at the same time of Atlantis and how they were sister societys. Peaceful and liking one another. Then Atlantis had their dimensional frak up and atlantis dissapeared. This took the magic from the planet so the Lemurian's were thrown in a lurch as most of their stuff ran off of "Earth Energy" (( Which they say about every 3rd paragraph. It's PPE.)). Most of Lemuria was all "All shucks. Atlanntis, whom we love, just depowered our entire society. Well darnit and other comments. Ok guys lets find the survivors and figure out a way to live with out magic." An event that would be like... England suddenly doing something, the entire Brittish isles dissapearing from earth and suddenly Electricity doesn't work. We have the supply of batteries we have right this second but once they're gone we're done. And the US goin "ok. well that's a bummer. Go see if there's any English guys clinging to doors around the atlanntic and lets move on".

They (The Lemurians) Do their thing. Find a rift that's open (( lord of the deep)) And sort of hi jack it all the sudden like. Stranding the lord of the deep here.
They're shunted off into this pocket realm. And like 100 years (( or 1000 I forget)) pass here for every one there... so when they come back at the time of rifts THEIR time has only passed 150 years. while the world went from "Time of atlantis" all the way to "The coming of rifts".

And the Lumerians are just.. Good and hippy and lovy.

Like I said, except for this lil terrorist cell that are all, DEATH TO ATLANTIS AND THEIR STUPID DRAGON BUDDIES!! YEAAAAAAAAH NECROMANCY!! TEMPORAL MAGIC!! SLAUGHTER! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA" but... they're all on the down low. Like Sith. In a society where 100% of the population are psionic. lol

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Maybe the evil ones have to constantly be on mental guard ? "Think happy thoughts" and all that. Maybe when they are alone (or as an evil group) they think all the hateful stuff. But out in public they force themselves not to think about it.
Kind of like in Scott Pilgrim vs The World:
"Actually, muchacho, I poured the soy in this cup but I thought really hard about pouring it in that one. You know, in my 'mind's eye' or whatever."
Or the episode to Twilight Zone where the kid wouldn't let anyone think bad things about him and would send them away to the corn field, lol
TechnoGothic
Knight

Nightmask wrote: Unless they've rewritten the book since I got it some members of Nemo's crew along with Nemo himself were exposed to a rift event that made everyone exposed into supernatural MDC beings. Something that always passes down to the children. I don't remember anything about anyone engaging in experiments that gave them their supernatural nature.

I remember reading in one of the books, that the starnage Rift energy that changed them into Sea Titans was due to a Lemurian experiment. It could have been the Rift which brough the Lemurians back to Rifts Earth in fact...

The books are full of little hints scattered about for us to cherry pick what we want to use.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

TechnoGothic wrote:
Nightmask wrote: Unless they've rewritten the book since I got it some members of Nemo's crew along with Nemo himself were exposed to a rift event that made everyone exposed into supernatural MDC beings. Something that always passes down to the children. I don't remember anything about anyone engaging in experiments that gave them their supernatural nature.

I remember reading in one of the books, that the starnage Rift energy that changed them into Sea Titans was due to a Lemurian experiment. It could have been the Rift which brough the Lemurians back to Rifts Earth in fact...

The books are full of little hints scattered about for us to cherry pick what we want to use.

I cant get to my book so I've no way to refresh myself about the Rift but I remember nothing about it being the result of anyone's experimentation, only that the lucky survivors walked away with impressive physical abilities.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

DhAkael wrote:-ahem-
SHARK PANTHER!!!!!! :mrgreen: :P

60% of the time, it works every time...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

WB 07, page 115, column 2 near the top... ie the end of the R.C.C. write up.

"Note: The strange anomaly that created the Sea Titans was the result of a Lemurian ley line energy experiment that went awry. The experiment obliterated the Lemurian scientists, but as fate would have it, transformed Nemo Dobson and some of his fellow crewmen. The experiment went awry and cannot be recreated by the Lemurians of anybody else."
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Jedrious
Adventurer

mumah wrote:

He's also setting up the writers to allow Splicer Biotech weapons to be added, and has a canon illustration to justify it...
TechnoGothic
Knight

Slight001 wrote:WB 07, page 115, column 2 near the top... ie the end of the R.C.C. write up.

"Note: The strange anomaly that created the Sea Titans was the result of a Lemurian ley line energy experiment that went awry. The experiment obliterated the Lemurian scientists, but as fate would have it, transformed Nemo Dobson and some of his fellow crewmen. The experiment went awry and cannot be recreated by the Lemurians of anybody else."

Thanks Slight001 for remembering where it was.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

TechnoGothic wrote:

Some of the RCCs in the book sound like humans and DBee races came into connect with their BioTech.
When reading the Sneak Preview wondering what effect meeting Lemurians would have on others. Their changed 'germs', PPE rich area and a missing saving throw = ???.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
They (The Lemurians) Do their thing. Find a rift that's open (( lord of the deep)) And sort of hi jack it all the sudden like. Stranding the lord of the deep here.
They're shunted off into this pocket realm. And like 100 years (( or 1000 I forget)) pass here for every one there... so when they come back at the time of rifts THEIR time has only passed 150 years. while the world went from "Time of atlantis" all the way to "The coming of rifts".

IIRc, the Amazon's in south america did something similar. they were originally an atlantian clan, and when atlantis vanished, they took their city and the surrounding countryside and shunted it off into a pocket realm where they could preserve magic and where time passed at a different rate.

and in WB2 it's implied that this was the fate of the continent of Atlantis itself.

the whole "lets hide in a pocket dimension" thing seems to be a recurring element in Rifts..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

There's always a serpent in the garden, especially when you consider that most of the people are so goody-twoshoes that they would never even think of violating someone else's mind to gain the information.

Unfortunately, I got the book last night, and while the fluff is very nice, I'm radically disappointed in the way it turned out. I was annoyed by the exclusivity of the new psionic powers, their limited usefuless, and the relative weakness in power level compared to recent releases. Biomancy doesn't need a ton of new spells. The organic armors were ridiculously cool, but their lack of survivability based on other things in the game is a pain in the neck. The extra regeneration factor is nice, but the price is too high. The new energy bow? Are you guys kidding me? Double damage vs. Metzla? Some of these things have 3000 to 5000 MDC. At 6d6, you're going to nickel and dime this guy to death for how long before he stomps on your face and kills you? The new skills are always nice, and the new hand to hand combat style is refreshing, but this book just didn't live up to it's billing for me at all.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!
It'll bite of yer head,
and do circus stunts!

PATHER!!!
PATHER SHARK!!!

So do you like your "PATHER SHARK!!!" :eek: , Akashic Soldier?
The Panther Shark is great in the book. :D

Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Mine finally arrived yesterday, on my initial flip through, I got to say my favorite thing so far are the Junk Crabs. They amuse me, and I can easily picture on of my players trying it out. There might be other favs after a through read, but has an early lead. :ok:

On the disappointment end is the cognitive dissonance of going 'these are just like regular vampires except for X, Y, Z, and oh they are immune to water'. Sigh. If they didn't specifically keep referencing regular vampires it would be easier for me to accept them as a new and different spin off, instead of brainlocking, or take it as a quirk of the aquatic species.. until you get to the human master vampire leader. I know that I'll accept it in time, but at first blush it feels more counter-intuitive than an aquatic fire-elemental.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The overall power level in this book seems a bit lower than say rift atlantis which is why I think some of the things seem a bit odd. Overall I really enjoy the setting and the new stuff and it seems like an effort to reign in power creep a bit.

The new bio armor is very interesting most seems to be in the power range of a medium/heavy borg/light power armor. Good survivability but not a lot of integrated weapons. Compared to borgs I think they would be pretty even for capability compare them to heavier power armors and they seem a bit lacking in the offensive punch.

Plus side in long campaigns away from base if you have a bio mancer with you repairing/maintaining the bio armor/weapons seems very easy with spells to help speed up the healing of those items. That combined with their innate regen means the bio armor stuff has very good resistance to attritional damage tech armor suffers from.

Overall I find it well done although if you try to add in stuff from the more high power books some of the damage may seem a bit lacking.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

As a mystery over a decade in the making, that The Lemurians are exactly the do-gooders one would first think them to be is really a let-down on quite a large level.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

Water vamps. Vampires are creatures of Earth.... taking that mythos, completely retooling it with water, adjusting the strengths and vulnerabilities accordingly, creating a whole new re-invention of The Myth with a totally new focus would have been an amazing thing to do.

Rifts Lemuria didn't do that. It just made them vampires that were immune to water.
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
The overall power level in this book seems a bit lower than say rift atlantis which is why I think some of the things seem a bit odd.

The power level should be lower than Atlantis, the lemurian civilization is much younger that Atlantis.

I just got Rift's Lemuria and Rifter 58, after quickly looking though both, I have to say that there is one thing that was disappointing. The non power creep OCC's for Lemuria hit the cuttting room floor and found a home in Rifter 58. IMO it would of done the Rift's line well for the editor to put a few of the Bio-armors and other toys in the Rifter and kept the OCC;s in the books.

I did not find any of the OCC's from the lemuria book to be very power creepy. Interesting yes but overall not bad power wise. Even if you have a decked out guy on a warsteed you have somebody who while pretty durable has pretty limited to almost no ranged abilities and melee abilities that are by no means overly powerful.

The new magic occs are interesting but overall more utility/support than offensive so not much over powering there.

I guess the only one big thing would be even the casters get access to some of the warsteed/bio armor stuff which does give them pretty good overall durability.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Supergyro wrote:Water vamps. Vampires are creatures of Earth.... taking that mythos, completely retooling it with water, adjusting the strengths and vulnerabilities accordingly, creating a whole new re-invention of The Myth with a totally new focus would have been an amazing thing to do.

Rifts Lemuria didn't do that. It just made them vampires that were immune to water.

At least they don't sparkle. ;)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Do you think that the Lumerians have dodos and megafauna critters in their cities or DNA 'databases'? Most likely lost sea creatures and fish are on file. Could make for some different Bio-Armor and vehicles.

taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:Do you think that the Lumerians have dodos and megafauna critters in their cities or DNA 'databases'? Most likely lost sea creatures and fish are on file. Could make for some different Bio-Armor and vehicles.

Yes, I could see them building up a massive 'toolkit' of available DNA for future bioengineering works. Their scouts and field scientists no doubt are constantly collecting samples of just about EVERYTHING biological they run across as a matter of standard procedure.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:Do you think that the Lumerians have dodos and megafauna critters in their cities or DNA 'databases'? Most likely lost sea creatures and fish are on file. Could make for some different Bio-Armor and vehicles.

Yes, I could see them building up a massive 'toolkit' of available DNA for future bioengineering works. Their scouts and field scientists no doubt are constantly collecting samples of just about EVERYTHING biological they run across as a matter of standard procedure.

That would be pretty cool, they have all extinct animals "on file" and constantly collect new ones (some crazy alien ones too I bet).

I picture them traveling in pairs or quads, and for some reason I am picturing them old school scientific methods as in using a giant ass needle to draw out the DNA specimen as opposed to some hi-tech DNA scanner. Being they are of a fairly good alignment they probably have a very painless/non-invasive hand held scanner (something along the lines of a tricorder like gadget like on Star Trek) instead of my suggested "giant needle", but I think the big needle would be that much cooler. Good shock effect for anyone watching/seeing Lemurians for the first time and the first thing they see is them draining a few pints with the needle, :lol:
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

So something like the 20th and 21sin alien abductions. :? Strange craft manned by stranger looking beings and human types, using psionic communication. Telling you this will not hurt that much. :-? :D

Just being done to everything living; DBee and earth-based plants, animals and people [using the widest open term]. Could make a nice 'side trip' to BtS style HLS adventure.

Thanks for the input.

Have the Lemurians looking for a lost storage vault. Something that makes the Norway plant storage one look like a corner store or closet. City or permanent location? Lost valley, cavern system, or like. Still sealed or have the 'samples' been going for walks in the countryside.

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

kaid wrote:The new magic occs are interesting but overall more utility/support than offensive so not much over powering there.

That's good news to me. Utility and support are where magic shines. Give me more spells that let me solve problems that can't be solved with WP Energy Rifle.

Are the new magic OCCs gimmicky like the OCCs fro FoM or are they more old-school like the temporal wizard and RMB/RUE casters?

--flatline
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Rifts: Lemuria, on page 62 says "PPE can be collected from fields and forests".

Would it make sense that can wild and tame insects and DBee bugs could collect PPE from plants as well. Storaging it in their hives and nests, like honey or in some other form. How to taking it from them may be a totally different matter.
Magical hornets. Lady bugs that are totally un-Lady like, protecting her eggs.

Second question. Rifts says something like "Ley lines provide enought light to read a newspaper a mile away from one." How would that light effect plants? Would it double the PPE available like in the first question?

How would the light effect solar cells and solar based power systems?

Sidenotes:
"Beastly State Of Your Campaign", has articles on types and uses for different critters. All have some use in RPGing. Was looking at ones usable with Lemuria, sea and bugs. 'Bugs!' article and mixing them with PPE, is wandering around my brain cell.
Beeswax, the mankind's first plastic, what about a PPE enriched version.
What the worm in bottom of a Lemurian bottle doing to the drink?

Another one is "Vegetative State Of Your Roleplaying".
Weeds have their uses as well.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

flatline wrote:
kaid wrote:The new magic occs are interesting but overall more utility/support than offensive so not much over powering there.

That's good news to me. Utility and support are where magic shines. Give me more spells that let me solve problems that can't be solved with WP Energy Rifle.

Are the new magic OCCs gimmicky like the OCCs fro FoM or are they more old-school like the temporal wizard and RMB/RUE casters?

--flatline

The biomancer is more like a RUE mystic with a specific slant to the types of spells they have access to. Most of their spells are things that are effecting nature things like making plankton blooms to mask vision/healing/animating plantlife/ camoflage+movement through wild areas things of that nature. Also the care and creation of the bio armors/weapons so kind of nature mystic with some techno wizard stuff thrown in.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I noticed today that the new demon striking Hand to Hand has palm strike in the advancement tree twice, at different damage levels.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Rifts®”