So what cities have hidden underground features?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

So what cities have hidden underground features?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Just found myself wondering after looking at the Seattle thread, just what cities particularly in the US have things like large underground sewers or mainly forgotten underground cities that the current city has been built over? Links to info on such would also be extra-welcome.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Re: So what cities have hidden underground features?

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Both Seattle and Portland have pretty goor underground "City" area. I haven't been to the Portland one but the Seattle one is cool.

Seattle
Portland
Nightmask
Palladin

Trooper Jim wrote:Both Seattle and Portland have pretty goor underground "City" area. I haven't been to the Portland one but the Seattle one is cool.

Seattle
Portland

Thanks for the links, and nice info. I wonder if there's a website somewhere that compiles all those things into a single database.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

There's a good series from cable, now available on DVD, called 'Underground' that deals with urban spelunking.
Portland was among those visited because its underground dealt with shanghaing people into the merchant-marine.
If you're looking overseas(for Mutants in foreign lands) Paris has extensive catacombs, Rome also has impressive undergrounds(often through old basements and buried historic sights), and Berlin has an impressive underground(including old beerhall cellars, bunkers, and a section of Adolf Hitler's underground highway that was supposed to lead under his rebuild and redesigned Reich capital).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The show is "Cities of the Underworld and a most see for any GM.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Shawn Merrow wrote:The show is "Cities of the Underworld and a most see for any GM.

This is an excellent program. Chock full of great ideas for ones subterranean mutants.
Nightmask
Palladin

While it's difficult for people to believe there are buildings and structures all over the place that have forgotten rooms that could be discovered by a mutant animal to live out of. Back a few years ago a couple bought a building in Evansville Indiana only to discover that it had an entire second story that had been sealed off and forgotten back in the 1920s. There were offices with the remains of a business name on the frosted glass door windows and even some business receipts and other miscellaneous things left abandoned. Took 70 years before anyone ever found the rooms again.

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Saw a documentary that talked about the personal building of bomb shelters during the Cold War. A good shelter has to be a secret and hidden, they figure there are more then a few houses out there with shelters the current owners don't even know about. Also a few years ago they stumbled across a shelter in New York city that had been forgotten about.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nightmask
Palladin

Shawn Merrow wrote:Saw a documentary that talked about the personal building of bomb shelters during the Cold War. A good shelter has to be a secret and hidden, they figure there are more then a few houses out there with shelters the current owners don't even know about. Also a few years ago they stumbled across a shelter in New York city that had been forgotten about.

Lots of 'Truth in Television' really, when you see anime and movies and such with hidden items like that a lot of people think 'oh that's not possible' when it's really not just possible but quite true. Makes you wonder just how much is out there that people are sure doesn't exist that actually does. I suppose you could go through county records and look for buildings both private and commercial that were built during the Cold War era to find some in your area that might fit the bill, so if you wanted to run a game in your town or county you could pick places you know and decide which could have these hidden areas that mutant animals could be using for hidden homes.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Saw a documentary that talked about the personal building of bomb shelters during the Cold War. A good shelter has to be a secret and hidden, they figure there are more then a few houses out there with shelters the current owners don't even know about. Also a few years ago they stumbled across a shelter in New York city that had been forgotten about.

Heck, I only recently learned that my own house has a fallout shelter built into the back of the garage....just a concrete box that isn't even used for storage, but my folks were THAT concerned when they were building the place...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”