Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Re: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook

Unread post by ZINO »

ks :
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook in final production! We received a batch of approvals for artwork last week and continue to wait for the rest. We were assured by one gentleman at Harmony Gold that they’d try to get all the approvals and changes to us by Friday of this week. Text approvals started coming in yesterday, so we’re hopeful. As soon as we have them all the book gets laid out and sent to the printer! If we get them soon the book will be out this month as fast as we can make it happen. Keep those pre-orders rolling in.

UPDATE: Robotech® Genesis Pits™ Sourcebook. The writing continues to move along nicely and we’re shooting for a January release (pending approval from the Licensor). 8½ x 11 size. 96 pages. See the complete description elsewhere in this Weekly Update.
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

I'd take that update with a grain of salt. He also said that they would be releasing one new book a month in that same update. Yeah, right. He's promised that before. But I am hoping that we'll finally see the book.
They can't see me...Right!?
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

copy/paste from latest murmur

Robotech® New Generation Sourcebook should see final layout and go to the printer by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Approvals have been coming in from Harmony Gold all day. We’re not certain if we’ll really see ALL approvals by tonight as promised, but they are coming in at a good clip and we are hopeful.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

DBX wrote:copy/paste from latest murmur

Robotech® New Generation Sourcebook should see final layout and go to the printer by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Approvals have been coming in from Harmony Gold all day. We’re not certain if we’ll really see ALL approvals by tonight as promised, but they are coming in at a good clip and we are hopeful.

NICE!!!!!!!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

That still puts the book a bout 3 weeks away or more guys.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Arnie100
Knight

ZINO wrote:NICE!!!!!!!

Only when the update says "At the printer" or "Just shipped."
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Arnie100 wrote:
ZINO wrote:NICE!!!!!!!

Only when the update says "At the printer" or "Just shipped."

At the printer = about 2 weeks away.

Just shipped = give it a week to get to your local store if they carry Palladium products or to receive it via direct order through PB.com
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

i would not preorder any RT book, or any other PB book. as stated they cannot keep the deadlines and some projects they talk up just fade into a shatter thought.

I would love to see RT books come on a steady pace and there is so much cannon stuff they could draw upon. However I have to agree I think HG will hold the reigns tight and possibly smother the Game once more.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I would love to see RT books come on a steady pace and there is so much cannon stuff they could draw upon. However I have to agree I think HG will hold the reigns tight and possibly smother the Game once more.

Gargoyle, I agree with you. :-D
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I will point out that when you pre-order a Palladium book you aren't actually charged for it until it ships.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:there is so much cannon stuff they could draw upon.

Like what? Pretty much all the canon stuff they can do is covered in the various books already once New Gen comes out. The only things missing are some ships and Super Alpha/Synchro Beta.

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Jefffar wrote:I will point out that when you pre-order a Palladium book you aren't actually charged for it until it ships.

While true, Jefffar, the problem is not knowing IF or when the charge will ever be put through. We already know they run into problems of credit cards that were previously supplied for a pre-order expiring between the time of the pre=order and the charge being put through.

\m/
Arnie100
Knight

jaymz wrote:
Jefffar wrote:I will point out that when you pre-order a Palladium book you aren't actually charged for it until it ships.

While true, Jefffar, the problem is not knowing IF or when the charge will ever be put through. We already know they run into problems of credit cards that were previously supplied for a pre-order expiring between the time of the pre=order and the charge being put through.

Or if you had to change your credit card.
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler

Arnie100 wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Or if you had to change your credit card.

That's the downside to pre-ordering a product: When it comes the time for the item that you pre-ordered to be shipped, the company makes sure that you have enough money on your credit/debit cards in order for it to be shipped, or you're financially toast. :(

Nowadays, if you have to pre-order something, you can pay it on the spot and not have to worry about it in the future.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

jaymz wrote:

Like what? Pretty much all the canon stuff they can do is covered in the various books already once New Gen comes out. The only things missing are some ships and Super Alpha/Synchro Beta.

Well I blieve everyone here would love the spaceship book. I would love something for the Master and Macross in the forum of Source books. Details about the robotech factories could be done here as you are one of those with Breeti. You could still do some malcontent stuff and the Sentinels is only half lost in the story line so there could be a source book for the war with the regent and his invid. heck throw togeather a source book out there for hunt for General Edwards and his traitor followers. Some stuff on Mars and Moon bases would be very nice as well.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Well I blieve everyone here would love the spaceship book.
if it was honestly done Right, there could be multiple books on Space ships alone. since a Single Spaeship book would need to be 500+ pages.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Well I blieve everyone here would love the spaceship book.
if it was honestly done Right, there could be multiple books on Space ships alone. since a Single Spaeship book would need to be 500+ pages.

not going to happen 500 + page I wish man
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Well I blieve everyone here would love the spaceship book. I would love something for the Master and Macross in the forum of Source books. Details about the robotech factories could be done here as you are one of those with Breeti. You could still do some malcontent stuff and the Sentinels is only half lost in the story line so there could be a source book for the war with the regent and his invid. heck throw togeather a source book out there for hunt for General Edwards and his traitor followers. Some stuff on Mars and Moon bases would be very nice as well.

The malcontent stuff is no longer canon and for all intents and purposes neither is Sentinels. That leaves Spaceships. War with the regent? All you need for that is Spaceships and the material already published in TSC. Seriously once New Gen is done there is very little left to be covered beyond Spaceships.

\m/
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

any new anyone???
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

jaymz wrote:The malcontent stuff is no longer canon and for all intents and purposes neither is Sentinels. That leaves Spaceships. War with the regent? All you need for that is Spaceships and the material already published in TSC. Seriously once New Gen is done there is very little left to be covered beyond Spaceships.

I wouldn't write off the Sentinels too quickly. After all, the Haydonites didn't just pop up out of thin air; there was a war with the Regent, and that war involved more than just the Earth-Force and Tirolian defense forces against traditional Invid mecha. There are the Regent's Inorganics - Invid robots, basically (which potentially takes on a whole new spin once you factor in the Haydonites as puppet-masters); there are whatever other mecha the Pioneer Expedition had with it (I'm not convinced that the New Gen sourcebook is going to have stats on the second-generation destroids such as the ones briefly seen during Dana's evacuation from Earth in Robotech: Love and War, although the UEEF Marines book might, if it's still a go); and there are the various Sentinel races to consider.

Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles confirms that the five races from the original RPG still exist in Tommy Yune's Robotech universe, though I'll be surprised if any of them haven't undergone some sort of revamp. And those five races (plus the Haydonites) aren't necessarily the sum total of the Sentinel races; they might "merely" be the most prominent ones. If Yune follows through with his penchant to salvage material from discarded art sheets and the like (e.g., the aforementioned second-generation destroid, which came from a Mospeada concept sheet), then there may well be a dozen or more Sentinel races.

There's plenty that can be done with the Sentinels saga; all that's needed is Tommy Yune's input and approval.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

jaymz wrote:The malcontent stuff is no longer canon and for all intents and purposes neither is Sentinels. That leaves Spaceships. War with the regent? All you need for that is Spaceships and the material already published in TSC. Seriously once New Gen is done there is very little left to be covered beyond Spaceships.

Not counting Spaceships.

Well in canon that has not been covered yet you have:
-The Regent's Invid Inorganics (PttSC)
-Sentinel Races beyond the Haydonites (PttSC)
-the VHT "Gladiator" mode looking mecha/Tiger Destroid (L&W#1)
-Wolf's Flash back Fighter (Show)
-Shadow Drones (Show, IIRC they aren't in TSC)
-Carpenter's Fighter (show)
-Pupil Pistol (show)
-a few distinct mecha at Point K (show)
ESalter
Adventurer

Re: Malcontent Uprisings Canonicity

Unread post by ESalter »

FWIW, the Masters Sourcebook says the Malcontent Uprisings are (broadly) canon; they just correspond to the Zentraedi troubles of episodes 28-36.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

ShadowLogan wrote:

Not counting Spaceships.

Well in canon that has not been covered yet you have:
-The Regent's Invid Inorganics (PttSC)
-Sentinel Races beyond the Haydonites (PttSC)
-the VHT "Gladiator" mode looking mecha/Tiger Destroid (L&W#1)
-Wolf's Flash back Fighter (Show)
-Shadow Drones (Show, IIRC they aren't in TSC)
-Carpenter's Fighter (show)
-Pupil Pistol (show)
-a few distinct mecha at Point K (show)

And aside from a spaceships book that MIGHT be a single additional book. Hardly enough to say LOTS AND LOTS O' STUFF.

\m/
dataweaver
Adventurer

If the book was nothing but game stats, yeah you could cram all of that into one (big) book of odds and ends. I'd never buy such a book (I'm into roleplaying games, not technical manuals), but they could do it. And that's not counting mecha that are implied to exist and that Tommy would very likely approve writeups for (e.g., the other Mospeada-based Destroids).

Add setting and story material concerning the Sentinels campaign: I'm sure that lots of fans would love to find out what Tommy Yune's take on the Sentinels is. Add character write-ups for significant figures who don't appear in any of the existing books. There's still quite a lot that can be done.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

FWIW???? what this mean sorry
dataweaver
Adventurer

"For What It's Worth"
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There is an opportunity with the RPG for Harmony Gold to cheaply expand the Robotech continuity. Remember the old West End Games Star Wars RPG? For many years that RPG was the main source of new characters, new items, now space ships, new worlds and almost anything else new in the setting.

The old RPG did similarly for the Robotech Line, though almost all of that new materiel has been written off with the continuity reboot.

Through the RPG Harmony Gold can explore and expand the universe we don't see on the screen in Robotech.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Jefffar wrote:There is an opportunity with the RPG for Harmony Gold to cheaply expand the Robotech continuity. Remember the old West End Games Star Wars RPG? For many years that RPG was the main source of new characters, new items, now space ships, new worlds and almost anything else new in the setting.

The old RPG did similarly for the Robotech Line, though almost all of that new materiel has been written off with the continuity reboot.

Through the RPG Harmony Gold can explore and expand the universe we don't see on the screen in Robotech.

You need to stop making sense or you won't be allowed here anymore :twisted:
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Chris0013 wrote:You need to stop making sense or you won't be allowed here anymore :twisted:

Yeah, I know. I'm a couple of good ideas away from having to ban myself.

Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

I really want to know what new mecha they are refering to...Sentinel's Destroids? The MOSPEADA Destroids? What?
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Potentially.

We may have earlier Alpha variants or more details on the Alpha variants from Shadow Chronicles that weren't explored in the RPG yet. There is also the rebuilt mecha (I so hope the term franken-mecha is not used in any official context in the book) mentioned in the murmurs.

We may also see designs with some form of connection to Southern Cross or maybe even our first glimpses of gear designed and used by independent forces.

ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

ZINO wrote:FWIW???? what this mean sorry

thanks
sorry
Arnie100
Knight

Jefffar wrote:Potentially.

We may have earlier Alpha variants or more details on the Alpha variants from Shadow Chronicles that weren't explored in the RPG yet. There is also the rebuilt mecha (I so hope the term franken-mecha is not used in any official context in the book) mentioned in the murmurs.

We may also see designs with some form of connection to Southern Cross or maybe even our first glimpses of gear designed and used by independent forces.

This could make it worthwhile... :D Except for the frankenmecha (I still don't know about that one).
Arnie100
Knight

Jefffar wrote:There is an opportunity with the RPG for Harmony Gold to cheaply expand the Robotech continuity. Remember the old West End Games Star Wars RPG? For many years that RPG was the main source of new characters, new items, now space ships, new worlds and almost anything else new in the setting.

With Tommy Yune in charge?? :D :twisted:
dataweaver
Adventurer

Sure, with Tommy Yune in charge. Without him, HG would have tried to push forward with Robotech 3000 instead of at least trying to continue the story where New Generation left off. That would have flown like a brick, and pretty much killed Robotech. The current situation isn't a good one; but it's better by far than it would have been without Mr. Yune.

There's a lot that he's done that I don't agree with; but I can cut him quite a bit of slack for at least pointing Robotech in the right direction.

As for "franken-mecha", I have no problem with the idea, and am in fact looking forward to what they come up with. The Invid-occupied Earth is one where people are living in the ruins of their former civilization, and are having to make do with what they can get their hands on. Thematically, "franken-mecha" fit this concept quite well. That said, I'm hoping that the rules for patchwork components and jury-rigged solutions will address the problems that come with doing this sort of thing: unreliable systems, "hangar queens", unorthodox control systems, and so on. Grafting a Logan's arm onto an Alpha is better than going around with a one-armed Alpha; but a two-armed Alpha should still be preferable.
Arnie100
Knight

dataweaver wrote:Sure, with Tommy Yune in charge. Without him, HG would have tried to push forward with Robotech 3000 instead of at least trying to continue the story where New Generation left off. That would have flown like a brick, and pretty much killed Robotech. The current situation isn't a good one; but it's better by far than it would have been without Mr. Yune.

There's a lot that he's done that I don't agree with; but I can cut him quite a bit of slack for at least pointing Robotech in the right direction.

And what has happened with Robotech since Shadow Chronicles (besides the RPG)? Robotech live-action movie and Shadow Rising in development hell. I do agree with you on Robotech: 3000, though.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

GOOd NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook – Progress is made! Approvals are in, and as you read this, Wayne Smith is busy laying out the New Generation™ Sourcebook. When done we send it in to Harmony Gold for final approval. With any luck, we’ll get approval back in a couple days and we can send the book off to the printer next week. We are excited to finally have this book heading for the printer. Keep those pre-orders rolling in, because this sourcebook has a little of everything: Use mecha from all eras of Robotech® in one setting, Veritech Fighters, Hover Tanks, Cyclones, and something called “Frankenmecha” – giant robots combined with the limbs, weapons and body parts of two or more mecha – rules for creating Frankenmecha, new weapons, new vehicles, seven new resistance fighter O.C.C.s, Invid Hives, key characters from the TV show, world overview, great art and more. And, due to popular demand, it is in our usual 8½ x 11 book format. Ships November 28.
Raiden

Unread post by Raiden »

ZINO wrote:GOOd NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE: Robotech® New Generation™ Sourcebook – Progress is made! Approvals are in, and as you read this, Wayne Smith is busy laying out the New Generation™ Sourcebook. When done we send it in to Harmony Gold for final approval. With any luck, we’ll get approval back in a couple days and we can send the book off to the printer next week. We are excited to finally have this book heading for the printer. Keep those pre-orders rolling in, because this sourcebook has a little of everything: Use mecha from all eras of Robotech® in one setting, Veritech Fighters, Hover Tanks, Cyclones, and something called “Frankenmecha” – giant robots combined with the limbs, weapons and body parts of two or more mecha – rules for creating Frankenmecha, new weapons, new vehicles, seven new resistance fighter O.C.C.s, Invid Hives, key characters from the TV show, world overview, great art and more. And, due to popular demand, it is in our usual 8½ x 11 book format. Ships November 28.

I love the claim that it will be shipped on the 28th of this month, when they haven't gotten final approval on the finished product, and he even says he hopes it will be approved within a few days, when we all know HG moves at a glacial pace....Good show King Kevin....good show....way to give us more fodder when it's not out on the 28th
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

... and something called “Frankenmecha” – giant robots combined with the limbs, weapons and body parts of two or more mecha – rules for creating Frankenmecha, new weapons, new vehicles, seven new resistance fighter O.C.C.s, Invid Hives, key characters from the TV show, world overview, great art and more. And, due to popular demand, it is in our usual 8½ x 11 book format. Ships November 28.

Frankenmecha? Booo!
Lame name.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually battletech has full construction rules for "Frankenmech's", using the same concept. any conglomeration of disparate parts tends to be described as a "Franken[item]".. i used to have a frankenputer once. the mother board from one old machine, processor was newer, the hard drives from several old machines, video card from another, etc..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The frankenmech concept is great and very fitting with a desperate resistance style environment - but a better name might have yielded less resistance.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in the old Robotech: Malcontent Uprisings comic they were dubbed "Stingers" by the zentreadi terrorists building them.

'Patchwork mecha' might be just as apt as 'frankenmecha', but not nearly as dramatic or attention getting.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I rather have them called Stingers myself
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

sadly, using that name might not have gotten past HG's inspection, since those old comics are completely non-canon now.

though the basic story would still possible in the new RPG setting..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler

ZINO wrote:GOOd NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

well we can hope ;(
ESalter
Adventurer

Re: Frankenmecha

Unread post by ESalter »

Jefffar wrote:The frankenmech concept is great and very fitting with a desperate resistance style environment - but a better name might have yielded less resistance.

I'm dubious of the idea of kitbashed mecha; all the parts of a mecha would be designed with all the other parts in mind. For example, the position of a Battle Pod's legs would be designed with those legs' stride in mind; would it still move well with, say, a Tomahawk's legs in their place? Also, most of the kitbashed mecha I can recall seeing have been ugly or illogical.
Now, they might fit as true desperation weapons, but the fact that Siembieda is emphasizing them suggests they'll be common, and as powerful as standard mecha.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Or he may be emphasizing them because most of the other mecha in New Generation were already presented in Shadow Chronicles.

Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

Went a head and pre-ordered it myself. Also looking forward to the Genesis Pit sourcebook too. Will make updating Return of the Masters easier.
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler

Defender_X wrote:Went a head and pre-ordered it myself. Also looking forward to the Genesis Pit sourcebook too. Will make updating Return of the Masters easier.

I am looking forward to an update of RotM.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”